1939 Colt 1911A1 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-27-2019, 09:58 PM

1939 Colt 1911A1

I have the opportunity to purchase this pistol from someone I know. The serial number puts this Colt A1 to 1939, and puts it in a shipment that was allotted to the USN. I would really like the help of knowledgeable people here to determine an approximate value. I say approximate, because I know people's opinions will vary, and because you're simply looking at 3 pictures of the pistol and not seeing internal components, etc...

Old 11-27-2019, 10:39 PM

Whatever value you end up deriving...go for it!
Old 11-27-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter5 View Post
Whatever value you end up deriving...go for it!
I'm definitely wanting to add this to my collection. it just all depends on what it's worth, verses what the guy is asking for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 11:21 PM

What is he asking for it?

It's worth more then you think it is.

If he's asking under 5K and it's correct, don't think, just buy it.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxntime View Post
What is he asking for it?

It's worth more then you think it is.

If he's asking under 5K and it's correct, don't think, just buy it.
I don't what to say what he's asking quite yet, as I don't want to affect what people might contribute to the thread. let's just say that it's not cheap.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
I'm definitely wanting to add this to my collection. it just all depends on what it's worth, verses what the guy is asking for it.
corpsman5,

Does it have its matching slide and original barrel?

Best Regards,
Old 11-28-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan2 View Post
corpsman5,

Does it have its matching slide and original barrel?

Best Regards,

everything 'looks' right, but I'm no expert. I kind of figured the barrel is probably original, as the pistol is in such good condition. however, the fact is, I don't know for sure.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:26 AM

OP

Pm sent
Old 11-28-2019, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Just confirming Stan's question .
Does the slide serial number under the firing pin stop match the frame # ?

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 11-28-2019, 07:30 AM

“Looks right” and “is right” are on opposing ends of the value spectrum. It’s worth your time to look under the firing pin stop and confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-28-2019, 08:11 AM

A very desirable pistol and not easily found. Externally it looks correct. But not having the correct barrel "small G" or mismatched slide for example would be a hickey. If all correct these pistols can go for north of $10,000 in this condition.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:49 AM

Wow! Look forward to hearing and learning more about this one
Old 11-28-2019, 09:27 AM

I don't have possession of the pistol, but I will try to find out about the serial number.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:33 AM

It looks good but like others said, the barrel and slide needs to be original to the gun.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:15 AM
Administrator

It's very common to find these pistols with slides that are only off by 20 or less numbers. The most likely reason is that the slides were swapped around at the factory by government inspectors conducting parts interchangeability tests, and of course nobody bothered to match them back up afterwards. Unfortunately a mismatched slide is still a mismatched slide and will hurt the value considerably.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:33 AM

The finish that can be seen is original. That could be the centerpiece of a collection - if all original.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It's very common to find these pistols with slides that are only off by 20 or less numbers. The most likely reason is that the slides were swapped around at the factory by government inspectors conducting parts interchangeability tests, and of course nobody bothered to match them back up afterwards. Unfortunately a mismatched slide is still a mismatched slide and will hurt the value considerably.
That happened to me several years ago with a 1941 COLT that had a slide only about a dozen numbers away from the receiver.
As dsk said never mind the reason, a mismatched slide is still a mismatched slide, and on such a beautiful gun would be a real shame.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:41 AM

i'll try to find out about the slide as soon as possible. so the serial number should be on the underside of the slide?
Old 11-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Administrator

It's behind the firing pin stop plate. You have to remove it to see the number.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
i'll try to find out about the slide as soon as possible. so the serial number should be on the underside of the slide?
And try to get pictures! We need pictures.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It's behind the firing pin stop plate. You have to remove it to see the number.
well that’s aggravating. i’ve never even removed one of those. that makes it a little more difficult. definitely will be harder to get the slide number from the owner. i don’t really see him taking it apart to find out.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:44 PM

Lock the slide back. Take a brass punch, push in the firing pin and try to push the plate down a little which blocks the firing pin. Then finish pulling it out while blocking the firing pin from springing out. its a very simple procedure IF the plate is nicely loose. Most Colt factory pistols will have a stop plate that can be easily removed. Very doubtful if anybody would have attacked the plate in that one to 'tighten it up'.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
everything 'looks' right, but I'm no expert. I kind of figured the barrel is probably original, as the pistol is in such good condition. however, the fact is, I don't know for sure.
Well then you need to figure that out, you can't expect to get an accurate assessment with incomplete info . The pistol is worth more with the correct matching number slide and the correct barrel than it is without them, that value is substantial.

Why the game? Just tell us what he's asking... people aren't going to adjust their assessment based on his asking price.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
The finish that can be seen is original. That could be the centerpiece of a collection - if all original.
Exactly , you never pay too much ... you just buy to early , unless the seller is looking for double it's worth it would already be in my safe if I was offered it.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
well that’s aggravating. i’ve never even removed one of those.
Plenty of how-to vids on YouTube to show you how.