Thinking about the 2A and 60 years ago (1959) - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 04:56 PM

Thinking about the 2A and 60 years ago (1959)

Who was around in 1959? I wasn't born yet (born: 1961) but my older sisters were. My dad got transferred with IBM in upstate New York to (I think) Manchester, NH to assist with revamping their electronics division up there, which is why I was born in NH and not NY like my older sisters.

Anyway, I remember stories of my dad and my uncle (who already lived in NH) driving around in an old Chevy pickup truck with an Ithaca shotgun in the rear window. My uncle also kept a 1911 .45ACP also in the same pickup.

No problems.
No concerns.
Nobody freaked out.
Nobody called the cops.
Nobody was all anti-gun liberal nut cases.

WHAT HAPPENED?

Last edited by ButchA; 11-08-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: fixed a typo...
Old 11-08-2019, 06:24 PM

I was a young boy but I can say it was not even the same country back then. Wasn't perfect but it was so much better in most ways. Somewhere along the way, the inmates took over the asylum, guns became evil and criminals became victims. I think back then guns were considered more of a tool. Now they have become a subject of major controversy since we have to blame something after removing personal responsibility from the culture.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

I grew up in the 50's, but mostly in the southern/southeastern U.S., and back then nobody paid much attention because they were all gun-owners and hunters. In 1959 we moved to upstate NY and it was pretty much different in that there were no folks with visible guns except during hunting season (Scotia, NY). 5 years later we moved to Massachusetts (Topsfield) and most folks had .22 rifles or shotguns (not visible) in high school and went duck, grouse, woodcock, small game) hunting after school and no one cared; but, NO HANDGUNS (even before FGCA '68) unless approved by local police chief, and most would not approve unless you were a life-long buddy and political supporter, so no purchase/ownership of those. I was glad to move back south in 1969 where gun rack in back window of pickup truck was normal.

What happened? America became complacent and apathetic about many of the BoR and more concerned about abortion and atheism, and slide of morals into "me, me, me!" - as the communists planned and implemented their plan of destroying America - we are now seeing the fruition of those efforts and lack of discipline to moral values, which start with family cohesion. I could write a book, but this is not the proper place.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 06:59 PM

It is really very simple. We have moved from a nation/culture/society that prized self-reliance and freedom to one where dependence upon government and the subsequent government intrusion has become the norm.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
It is really very simple. We have moved from a nation/culture/society that prized self-reliance and freedom to one where dependence upon government and the subsequent government intrusion has become the norm.
Bingo you nailed it. In 1959 I was 2, so even though I was there I don,to remember it. I do remember the 59 Ford we had as a family car until it was replaced with a 69 Nova.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
We decided to value equality over liberty.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:45 PM

What happened? I wish I knew. I grew up in NJ a bit later but do remember that my father, who didn’t hunt, but was in his own business, had a carry permit ( or whatever they called it then). This was in Newark, NJ. It really wasn’t a big deal or ever discussed. Guns weren’t visible around the house, they were just a tool for SD/HD the most part which I knew he had. Ironically, liberals have dominated the majority of the political climate here back then and obviously still do, but as we know, it’s very different. I always remember that no one my father voted for ever won. Needless to say, he was voting “R”...
Old 11-08-2019, 07:47 PM

The eight stages of a Democracy:

http://didshesaythat.com/?p=515
Old 11-08-2019, 07:49 PM

When I was in junior high school I rode the school bus. During rabbit season the school bus driver arrived at the first stop (ours) with his friend seated in the front seat with an empty sack and an old shotgun. Picked up all the kids and dropped his friend at the furthest point (a field). Evening trip he picked him up. With a sack of rabbits. This was so normal as to not warrant any chatter. Doubt any parents ever knew. And would not have been bothered by it either.

During deer season shotguns were stored in school lockers to hunt after school. Normal.

In high school, the school rifle team were all issued school .22 rifles. Again, kept in lockers at school, with a coat, books etc. School rifle range was indoors over the auditorium.

Not of the above raised the slightest concern.

This was the rural NY that I remember.

Things changed.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:05 PM

When I was in High School - 78-82, We kept shotguns in gun racks in out unlocked trucks on campus. No one even thought about it.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clt_capt View Post
When I was in High School - 78-82, We kept shotguns in gun racks in out unlocked trucks on campus. No one even thought about it.
Same time frame, but in northern IL and southern WI, it was not uncommon to see rifles in racks in a truck cab.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT77 View Post
We decided to value equality over liberty.
There's nothing wrong with equality. Certainly you wouldn't want to go back to the days when blacks had to sit in the back of the bus and drink from different water fountains than whites. Not everything about 1959 was rosy. But at the same time we were a nation where people were responsible for their own actions and criminals were punished severely. The death penalty was the law of the land almost everywhere and chain gangs were commonly used. There was also a lot more God in homes and schools and TVs and movies showed wholesome entertainment, not the nonsensical violence and gratuitous sex seen today. America lost its innocence during the 1960s, when people lost faith in their government and in their anger over the Vietnam War everyone allowed their personal demons to come out (remember the "Weathermen"?). This country hasn't recovered since. Civil rights is about the ONLY good thing to have come out of the 1960s.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:26 PM

Hopefully HT77 meant something along the lines of valuing equality of outcome instead of condoning the inequality of racism. Freedom includes the freedom to fail, and thankfully I have learned more from my failures than from any of my successes.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 PM

It is rare that freedom and democracy can survive simultaneously. These United States have lasted the longest.

This was the thing that kept our Founding Fathers up at night! (Along with the "slavery issue" that divided the northern manufacturing colonies from the agricultural/slave colonies in the south)

The Marxist/Democrat party is trying hard to prove this to be true!

Tears,
Old 11-08-2019, 10:32 PM

One word: Liberalism.
Agent Orange---the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
There's nothing wrong with equality. Certainly you wouldn't want to go back to the days when blacks had to sit in the back of the bus and drink from different water fountains than whites. Not everything about 1959 was rosy. But at the same time we were a nation where people were responsible for their own actions and criminals were punished severely. The death penalty was the law of the land almost everywhere and chain gangs were commonly used. There was also a lot more God in homes and schools and TVs and movies showed wholesome entertainment, not the nonsensical violence and gratuitous sex seen today. America lost its innocence during the 1960s, when people lost faith in their government and in their anger over the Vietnam War everyone allowed their personal demons to come out (remember the "Weathermen"?). This country hasn't recovered since. Civil rights is about the ONLY good thing to have come out of the 1960s.
You can have liberty or you can have government attempting to make everyone equal but you can't have both. Look at the trillions of dollars spent on welfare and schools and how we have destroyed our culture and our cities by government attempting to make everyone equal even though groups have completely different abilities. Now that has given rise to insane political correctness which is becoming Orwellian. This is NOT the role of government especially not the one the Founders created. Now that same all powerful government wants everyone equally disarmed.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:36 PM
Administrator

If you're talking about forced social equality then that is true. That's why I disagree with affirmative action laws, as they intentionally suppress one demographic just so another one can get ahead. Instead I believe in equal under the law, where everyone has a chance to succeed but they must all make the same effort. While technically I believe in welfare, it should never be anything more than a temporary measure to give someone time to get back on their feet. Living off of it indefinitely (and worse yet, improving your benefits by having yet more children) is wrong as it forces the burden onto those who actually work for a living.

In any productive society you will have winners and losers. Everyone deserves the same chance to succeed in life but nobody should be given special privileges just because of who they are.

Anyway, getting back to guns we need to remember that the "good ol' days" weren't always good when it came to firearms and gun laws either. I was just thinking this evening about the NFA, and how it almost restricted handguns as well in the government's zeal to control ownership of portable weapons. The inclusion of handguns was only dropped in order to ease opposition to the bill, meaning we had gun banners trying to restrict the Second Amendment even during the 1920s and 1930s. And let's face it... relaxed CCW laws are a fairly recent phenomenon. Back in 1959 it was illegal to carry a handgun in most cities, and carry permits were hard to get unless you were well-connected. Shall-issue laws didn't really start taking off until the late 1980s.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
If you're talking about forced social equality then that is true. That's why I disagree with affirmative action laws, as they intentionally suppress one demographic just so another one can get ahead. Instead I believe in equal under the law, where everyone has a chance to succeed but they must all make the same effort. While technically I believe in welfare, it should never be anything more than a temporary measure to give someone time to get back on their feet. Living off of it indefinitely (and worse yet, improving your benefits by having yet more children) is wrong as it forces the burden onto those who actually work for a living.

In any productive society you will have winners and losers. Everyone deserves the same chance to succeed in life but nobody should be given special privileges just because of who they are.

Anyway, getting back to guns we need to remember that the "good ol' days" weren't always good when it came to firearms and gun laws either. I was just thinking this evening about the NFA, and how it almost restricted handguns as well in the government's zeal to control ownership of portable weapons. The inclusion of handguns was only dropped in order to ease opposition to the bill, meaning we had gun banners trying to restrict the Second Amendment even during the 1920s and 1930s. And let's face it... relaxed CCW laws are a fairly recent phenomenon. Back in 1959 it was illegal to carry a handgun in most cities, and carry permits were hard to get unless you were well-connected. Shall-issue laws didn't really start taking off until the late 1980s.
^The NFA of 1934 was a response to the Bonus Army Riots a couple of years earlier there dsk.

No Regerts.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:00 AM

I was around, very, very, young though, but old enough to remember my Dad a WW2 Pacific Theater Veteran, and first generation naturally born in USA American, and extreme patriot, packed his big family in the station-wagon (these things use to be popular) and drove us down the Jersey Shore were we would shoot real guns (pistols) on the boardwalk. Likely 22's. No credentials needed. Compare that to NJ now.

As far as other comments, the 60's was a political wild time, much more violent than today politically in this country, assassination's, Kent State, etc. Today, the political war is conducted largely in "cyberspace" and perhaps one of the reason's 2A is fading in the minds of the populous because we don't use cyberspace well to bring all our national resources to bear on the political hot-spots (like VA recently)...

The Civil rights movement was certainly needed back then, no fair-minded person would think the Blacks were treated correctly back then, certainly no decent Christian would think they were. Although my parents where very conservative republican's they supported the civil rights movement. It wasn't too long before the 60's where their "ethnicity" although of European decent were attacked with racial slurs, biases, and hate.

When I was in the USN, I experienced it myself (it was 1970's Navy, a different time), I refused to comply to order's which included racial slurs instead of my name, so I was brought in front of the Master Chief Petty officer. Luckily, he was a very honorable and intelligent man and he administered fair justice.

Today is a different story though. In the main, most racial bias is gone from our society. Although there are still some racist people, and there always will be, most of the racial friction today is based on Lefty Race-Baiting to create separation among us, and garner votes. It is quite discussing at this point. I had thought the nation healed from this until Obama brought it back in many ways and over his 8 years in office by his thought's, word's, and action's.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 11-09-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:50 AM

Thinking about the 2A and 60 years ago (1959)

Recall the “Naked Communists” was publish around about 1959. Since then, the indoctrination has come full circle and the results are apparent in the “false narrative” on firearms, gun violence and mass shootings not to mention race and religion. Hence, everyone is a victim and society is to blame and religion is ridiculed, mocked and rebuked because having “absolute moral values” conflicts with “anything goes” and “my truth is my reality.”

Like others have suggested, rifles in your truck was no big deal, nor was carrying a rifle in town etc...

The big difference was the moral values taught and the responsibility and accountability assigned to each of us. Good behavior was rewarded and bad behavior was punished.

It is hard for the leftists to understand rewarding bad/anti-social behavior encourages more of the same and here it comes, wait for it “guns don’t kill, people kill” and while we are at it, who needs a gun when there is the police. Right! The same police we are suppose to depend on, but are criticized, ridiculed and mocked by the same leftists who oppose firearms and self-protection.

Another falsehood, police investigate crimes and arrest criminals, they do not provide protection to individuals. Calling 911 is no assurance or guarantee the police will arrive in time to rescue you.
That responsibility rests with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by GeorgeandSugar; 11-09-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:19 AM

Born 1951, Tennessean. To answer the OP's question simply - culture degradation.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Here in the Mountains freedom still rings. I was talking to our Sheriff (who is a gun guy) yesterday at a school Vets Day event and he mentioned that he'd had a few complaints from cabin owners (mostly out of staters) about the noise made by our twice annual long range rifle match which is held on a local farm on the Eastern Continental Divide. His reply to the complainers was "there's nothing I can do about that as this is still America".
It's not uncommon to see kids with guns hunting woodchucks in the summer, and our schools still close for the first week of deer season. This may be one of the last great places.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:03 AM

About that same time, 1959, I was 11 and had an Ithaca Saddle gun, .22 short, single shot. I put a sling on it. I would grab a box of ammo, sling the rifle over my shoulder and walk the RR tracks until I got far enough from the neighborhood and into the country to start plinking. Frogs and old cans were my main targets. Not a word from anyone, no police, no screaming neighbors......just a kid having fun with a gun.

What the h$ll has happened??!!
Old 11-09-2019, 09:07 AM

Ohio

I too grew up in Ohio and was 13 in 1959. We had a spur railroad line behind our house in the suburbs and could hike the tracks going south to a pond and some woods some distance from home. We had, and still have, a Model 1911 Savage 22 Short repeater bolt gun that accompanied us damn near everywhere. Nobody ever called the cops or even our parents.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:51 AM

When I was a kid I remember riding my bike to the range about 3-4 miles from my parents house. I held my 22 single-shot rifle across the handlebars. A couple of boxes of ammo in my pockets. Stopped ONCE by a cop, who checked to make sure the rifle was unloaded. Asked me where I was going. I told him. He said "Have Fun" and away I went. Now days I would be in juvie and my parents would be arrested.