Colt 1911 U.S. Navy marked - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-30-2019, 08:45 PM

Colt 1911 U.S. Navy marked

I hope this inquiry isn't too void of details. If so, I apologize. Around 8 years ago, I had an opportunity to purchase a U.S. Navy marked Colt 1911. I passed on it because I didn't have much disposable income at the time, and to be honest, the condition was less than desirable. It appeared to be all original, but most of the original finish was worn off. To the best of my memory, I'm going to be generous and say that it retained around 20% of the original finish. (probably closer to 15% or less) I've been thinking about that pistol recently, and I found out that the gentleman still owns it, and would sell. (he hasn't been actively trying to sell the pistol) So, I've been looking around online trying to determine an approximate value. Let's just say that it's not an easy thing to determine. I also apologize for not having any photos. I know you guys aren't real keen on throwing around values on stuff mentioned on here, but any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to take another look at the pistol in a few days, so I would like to be up to speed beforehand. I think it's a 1915, but not 100% sure on that. (sorry, I don't have the serial number at the moment.) Generically speaking, if one were in excellent condition, what could I expect the value to be? After that number is known, I would be curious to know what the 80-85% original finish loss would drop it to. any info would be much appreciated.

edit to add info: IIRC is has a 4 digit serial number. I should be looking at this within the next few days, so I will have the number soon.

Last edited by corpsman5; 10-31-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
...any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to take another look at the pistol in a few days, so I would like to be up to speed beforehand...
The best thing for you to do is start studying the available resources. There is a sticky in this forum that lists a few. For starters you can study this:

http://www.coolgunsite.com/
Old 10-31-2019, 08:21 AM

First thing you need to do is get the serial number and make sure its an actual Navy pistol and not a Colt frame mated to a Navy marked slide. That much finish loss will greatly effect the value, are you sure it's actual finish loss ?

PICTURES, WE NEED PICTURES

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
The best thing for you to do is start studying the available resources. There is a sticky in this forum that lists a few. For starters you can study this:

http://www.coolgunsite.com/
thanks for the link. will do!
Old 10-31-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel525 View Post
First thing you need to do is get the serial number and make sure its an actual Navy pistol and not a Colt frame mated to a Navy marked slide. That much finish loss will greatly effect the value, are you sure it's actual finish loss ?

PICTURES, WE NEED PICTURES

Like I said, it is an all original pistol. I had it in-hand several years ago, and looked up the serial number at the time. I've just forgotten the serial since then. I'm just going by memory, but I'm certain that it is definitely actual finish loss. Again, I apologize for not having any pictures. Back when I had this thing in my hands, my phone did not have much of a camera on it. I will try to get some pics when I see this again. Even with all the finish loss, I would love to have this pistol since it's such a rare bird. I just don't want to over pay. Again, I apologize for the lack of pictures. I will be going to look at this pistol in a few days, and I will try to take a few pics at that time.

Last edited by corpsman5; 10-31-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:01 AM

Corpsman.... www.m1911info.com. Scott is one of the Top collectors in the Country and is who I would contact before guessing at values. He’s a good guy and has accurate information on values on these Pistols.

I would contact him and seek his advice before spending any money.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 139 View Post
Corpsman.... www.m1911info.com. Scott is one of the Top collectors in the Country and is who I would contact before guessing at values. Hes a good guy and has accurate information on values on these Pistols.

I would contact him and seek his advice before spending any money.
Thanks, Mike. I sure appreciate it. I'm a little reluctant to contact him quite yet, since I don't have pictures. Also, I'm betting these top tier collectors don't want to hand out values to small guys like me without being compensated for it.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Mike. I sure appreciate it. I'm a little reluctant to contact him quite yet, since I don't have pictures. Also, I'm betting these top tier collectors don't want to hand out values to small guys like me without being compensated for it.
I’ve spoken to Scott a few times and several years back, I was ready to buy a 1911A1 and had some questions which he answered, saving me a substantial amount of money.... He would NOT accept anything when I asked him more than once what I owed him for his saving me from making a big mistake. As I said, He’s good people and he is acknowledged in Meadows Book as well.

Last edited by Mike 139; 10-31-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 139 View Post
Ive spoken to Scott a few times and several years back, I was ready to buy a 1911A1 and had some questions which he answered, saving me a substantial amount of money.... He would NOT accept anything when I asked him more than once what I owed him for his saving me from making a big mistake. As I said, Hes good people and he is acknowledged in Meadows Book as well.
well I certainly appreciate the info. to me, this is one of those that's hard to nail down a value, since it's got so much finish wear, yet still a very rare piece.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:54 PM

lol... kind of funny... I called Scott and spoke to him for a while. I have actually met him several times at a local bi-annual military show. I just didn't recognize his name. That show is actually coming up in about 3 weeks, so I'm going to see if I can arrange to show him the pistol and try to ascertain a value that the seller and myself can both live with.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:05 PM

Navy 1911

Quote:
thanks for the link. will do!
corpsman5, I have purchased 30+ Navy 1911s the past 4 or 5 years. There are HUGE differences in price ...primarily originally , finsh condition and date of manufacture. The 3 digit serial numbers from the first Navy shipments of 500, started at serial number 501. They are the most valuable HOWEVER an example of a mint condition of the last shipment in 1915 of 500 Navy marked 1911s will be significantly more salable and bring more money. Originality, correct parts, especially barrels drive pricing too. The carpenters saying "Measure twice. Cut once." is applicable . No question that Scott Gaihmer is knowledgable of 1911s and values as that is his profession. There are many non dealer /collectors like Johnny P, who are long time collectors and are experts on the 1911s. I have found much advice for no cost . Post some photos on this board and you will be surprised at the help you receive...much of this honest and objective knowledgable opinion.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbethu View Post
corpsman5, I have purchased 30+ Navy 1911s the past 4 or 5 years. There are HUGE differences in price ...primarily originally , finsh condition and date of manufacture. The 3 digit serial numbers from the first Navy shipments of 500, started at serial number 501. They are the most valuable HOWEVER an example of a mint condition of the last shipment in 1915 of 500 Navy marked 1911s will be significantly more salable and bring more money. Originality, correct parts, especially barrels drive pricing too. The carpenters saying "Measure twice. Cut once." is applicable . No question that Scott Gaihmer is knowledgable of 1911s and values as that is his profession. There are many non dealer /collectors like Johnny P, who are long time collectors and are experts on the 1911s. I have found much advice for no cost . Post some photos on this board and you will be surprised at the help you receive...much of this honest and objective knowledgable opinion.

many thanks for the good info. I spoke briefly to Scott on the phone, and much of what he said is backed up by your comments. I'm not sure if it will happen, but I'm hoping to get the pistol in question in his hands in about 4 weeks. before that time, I'm hoping to get a few pictures of it to post on here. (with the owner's permission) Of course, I want to pistol to be as good as it possibly can be. On the other hand, the more desirable it turns out to be, the less likely it is that i'll be able to afford it. (kind of a weird predicament) I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. at any rate, thanks again for the info!
Old 11-07-2019, 10:54 PM

well........ I BOUGHT IT!! I've been thinking about this pistol for years, and I finally just did it. Actually, I don't know why my memory was so screwed up on this, but it was in much better shape than I remembered. Sorry... I don't have pics yet. I paid the guy half the money, and I'm going to pay the other half next time I see him. It's a 4 digit serial number that puts it at a fairly early 1912. (serial number 25XX) Don't know when i'll go see him again, but looking really forward to bringing this one home. Also looking forward to sharing pictures with you guys.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
well........ I BOUGHT IT!! I've been thinking about this pistol for years, and I finally just did it. Actually, I don't know why my memory was so screwed up on this, but it was in much better shape than I remembered. Sorry... I don't have pics yet. I paid the guy half the money, and I'm going to pay the other half next time I see him. It's a 4 digit serial number that puts it at a fairly early 1912. (serial number 25XX) Don't know when i'll go see him again, but looking really forward to bringing this one home. Also looking forward to sharing pictures with you guys.
corpsman5,

Congratulations !

No. 25XX is one of a thousand (2501 - 3500), 1st NAVY contract, third NAVY shipment. Shipped 1 Jun 1912, to the U.S. Navy General Storekeeper, U.S. Navy Yard Brooklyn N.Y. Here's another one from the same shipment: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=992804

Best Regards,
Old 11-08-2019, 01:30 AM

Thank you, and thanks for the link!
Old 11-08-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
You're a tease, you should have snapped at least one pic .

Old 11-08-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel525 View Post
You're a tease, you should have snapped at least one pic .

I promise, it's not deliberate! There just wasn't a good opportunity for pictures. I want the first pictures of it I post here, to be decent pics. It deserves better than a quick picture in my hand with bad lighting, just standing in front of a safe. It's not a perfect pistol, but it deserves a proper set of photos. Don't worry... i'll be going back before long to make the second and final payment. Then, i'll bring this little jewel home and take some pictures.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 AM

First off congratulations indeed.

After all this talking about it, would be interesting to see some good close ups of your new COLT!
You don't have to hire a professional photographer, just take a few close up pictures in the shade in natural light without flash.

Best regards.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Natali View Post
First off congratulations indeed.

After all this talking about it, would be interesting to see some good close ups of your new COLT!
You don't have to hire a professional photographer, just take a few close up pictures in the shade in natural light without flash.

Best regards. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
thank you! i have to go back and make the second and final payment sometime in the near future. as soon as i do that, i’ll bring it home and take pictures to post in here.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:58 AM

Congrats on your recent acquisition!
Old 11-09-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgi1911 View Post
Congrats on your recent acquisition!
Thank You!
Old 11-25-2019, 09:09 PM

okay... I'm finally going to pick this thing up Wednesday evening. If it's not too late when I get home, i'll take pictures. otherwise, i'll take some Thursday morning. I think this thing is cool enough that it will warrant me staring a new thread for the pictures. (assuming the mods don't object) hopefully, I can make a deal on another one while I'm there. we'll see!