Anybody Using Kydex for 1911 Carry - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-27-2019, 09:11 PM

Anybody Using Kydex for 1911 Carry

What brand of kydex/plastic holsters are folks using for concealed carry with a 1911? Do you have issues with black marks on stainless steel pistols? Is there any advantage to a kydex holster over a leather one that Iím missing. School me.
Thanks and God bless.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:28 PM

Kydex is more tolerant of sweat than leather.

Kydex is not as soft as leather and is less comfortable (for me) for IWB.

I have no stainless carry pistols but do know that Kydex is harder on the finish of my blued and shake and baked finished guns.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:35 AM

I carry Garrett Industries leather lined kydex. Best of both worlds. The wife and I have at least a dozen of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
I carry Garrett Industries leather lined kydex. Best of both worlds. The wife and I have at least a dozen of them.
Another vote for Garrett Industries leather lined Kydex. My EDC is a revolver and these holster work very well.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:07 PM

See this...

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=664513

All holsters will cause wear. Sometimes Kydex causes less. Leather can often cause wear across the entire surface of the pistol. Kydex MAY only cause wear on the edges/contact points. But there is lots of variation across gun/holster combinations. The only way to avoid holster wear is to NOT carry.

Kydex is usually faster, does not require a break-in period, is impervious to weather and sweat, and usually lends itself to greater adjustability for things like ride height, CANT, retention, etc. But obviously much depends on how the holster was made. It's also usually a bit cheaper but that can vary too.

The downside is that it may not be as comfortable in an IWB role as leather is, as others have pointed out.

Most folks usually have a strong preference for one over the other. As much as I appreciate the craftsmanship of a quality leather product, I greatly prefer to carry in kydex...for all the reasons I listed above. YMMV.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:34 PM

I switch back and forth between a Blade Tech Eclipse OWB holster and a StealthGear Ventcore Flex OWB holster for my full size 5" 1911 pistols. The Blade Tech is a Kydex holster. The StealthGear is a hybrid holster with an outer Kydex shell attached to a ventilated padding that rides against your hip, providing a pillow like cushion. After wearing full size all steel pistols on duty and off duty in plain clothes for 28 years, I prefer Kydex to leather. Leather deforms and will rot and mildew. Kydex doesn't.

If I am wearing an OWB holster, under a loose fitting shirt or a jacket, Kydex can't be beat. I used to hate IWB holsters, until I figured out that you have to get pants with a size that is 3-4 inches larger in the waist than you normally wear, in order to fit the extra bulk of that IWB holster and gun. Not only that, you need a IWB holster that breathes. I found the StealthGear Ventcore IWB holsters that use an outer Kydex shell attached to a ventilated padding that rides up against your hip. The material allows for sweating with the ventilated padding and keeps the sweat off of your gun and the Kydex shell. This ventilated padding is extremely comfortable and is the only IWB holster I will wear.

Here is the Blade Tech, only $50.

http://https://blade-tech.com/produc...=8086100672602

The StealthGear Ventcore Flex cost over $109.

https://stealthgearusa.com/

Last edited by INV136; 11-23-2019 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-24-2019, 03:10 AM

I'm using Kydex exclusively now. The best concealment holsters are being made in Kydex.

I think it's a myth that leather, or leather lined Kydex wears your finish down less.

Besides, who cares about the finish? Safe queens.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceSwaby View Post
I'm using Kydex exclusively now. The best concealment holsters are being made in Kydex.

I think it's a myth that leather, or leather lined Kydex wears your finish down less.

I do not agree, necessarily, that "the best concealment holsters are being made in kydex." I think this depends how you carry. For instance, these days, it is true that there are many more kydex appendix holsters available than there are leather. I carry at about 3:15 though, and truly believe that Milt Sparks products IWB holsters conceal just as good as, or even better than, a comparable kydex, strong-side-carry IWB holster.

I choose good leather holsters for a couple reasons:

1.) They are a bit more comfortable (to me) and do not have the sharp edges that kydex does.

2.) A very well-made leather holster is just a cool piece of work!

To your point regarding finish wear, I would never choose a holster based on whether or not it is going to wear the finish on my 1911. I carry the holster that I think will carry my pistol best, offers the most concealment, and is comfortable. If the finish wears, then so be it.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
See this...

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=664513

All holsters will cause wear. Sometimes Kydex causes less. Leather can often cause wear across the entire surface of the pistol. Kydex MAY only cause wear on the edges/contact points. But there is lots of variation across gun/holster combinations. The only way to avoid holster wear is to NOT carry.

Kydex is usually faster, does not require a break-in period, is impervious to weather and sweat, and usually lends itself to greater adjustability for things like ride height, CANT, retention, etc. But obviously much depends on how the holster was made. It's also usually a bit cheaper but that can vary too.

The downside is that it may not be as comfortable in an IWB role as leather is, as others have pointed out.

Most folks usually have a strong preference for one over the other. As much as I appreciate the craftsmanship of a quality leather product, I greatly prefer to carry in kydex...for all the reasons I listed above. YMMV.
You saved me some typing. LOL

And I used to make leather holsters that were sold at several local gun shops here in Florida. Then Kydex came on the scene. I tried one, then another then stopped making leather. I still love a nice leather holster and appreciate the finer offerings. But my daily carry is an OWB kydex with speed clips to remove it quickly for driving.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:16 AM

1911's in Kydex, Polymer, Tupperware, or anything other than quality leather are a blasphemous offense before God and JMB.

Just my opinion, of course.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:52 PM

I'm using a Fobus paddle for my Commander , CZ-75 , CZ-82 , S&W 37 and Kel-Tec P3AT. I need to be able to remove my holster without the spectacle of taking my belt halfway out.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
I'm using a Fobus paddle for my Commander , CZ-75 , CZ-82 , S&W 37 and Kel-Tec P3AT. I need to be able to remove my holster without the spectacle of taking my belt halfway out.
Fobus is not a real holster. One of the most poorly built holsters available. They have more in common with a strawberry basket than of a high quality holster.

Paddle holsters are for range use only. They do not attach securely enough to the belt for concealment and weapon retention.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Enterpris View Post
1911's in Kydex, Polymer, Tupperware, or anything other than quality leather are a blasphemous offense before God and JMB.
Picking life saving equipment based on emotional reasons like tradition instead of performance is a blasphemous offense before God and Colonel Cooper.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:56 PM

I just ordered a Vedder Kydex IWB holster for a 1911. I've used one of their holsters for a Glock and found it to be very adjustable and comfortable.

There is part of me that prefers leather, but leather ain't cheap. And it's a rare thing for me to find a 'perfect fit' with any holster. Edge, Kydex.

I really like Kydex being a bit sweat resistant. It's not perfect--sweat has condensed on the inside of one of my kydex holsters before--but at least it forms a barrier.

The Garrett Industries holsters are really nice, too. I use one with my Sig Commander 1911.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:26 PM

I use a Crossbreed Super Tuck, IWB, leather/kydex hybrid.

Newt
Old 11-24-2019, 10:29 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit View Post
What brand of kydex/plastic holsters are folks using for concealed carry with a 1911? Do you have issues with black marks on stainless steel pistols? Is there any advantage to a kydex holster over a leather one that Iím missing. School me.
Thanks and God bless.

I use the Alien Gear Cloke Slide for the 1911. Been using it for several years and have detected no marks on my gun at all. I also have a custom kydex for a big Ruger Redhawk, but it was an inside waistband type and I don't like it, so I use a Simply Rugged Sourdough pancake for the Redhawk instead.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-24-2019, 11:30 PM

I use a Tier 1 Concealed for my STI DVC-P. It is an AIWB holster and works great. I added the wedge to the holster and can carry it all day.

https://www.tier1concealed.com/colle...ew-axis-custom
Old 11-25-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Fobus is not a real holster. One of the most poorly built holsters available. They have more in common with a strawberry basket than of a high quality holster.

Paddle holsters are for range use only. They do not attach securely enough to the belt for concealment and weapon retention.
Quote:
Picking life saving equipment based on emotional reasons like tradition instead of performance is a blasphemous offense before God and Colonel Cooper.

You seem to be rather opinionated on the matter.

Care to answer the OP's question or are you just going to blow smoke.......
Old 11-25-2019, 12:25 PM

Got my Vedder Light Tuck today.

Initial impression: well designed, well made, quality kit. THe edges are smooth and won't need any attention from my. It was good to go right out of the packaging. I did adjust the cant of the clip.

I really like the ease with which the cant can be adjusted. I also like the adjustable retention. Retention seems excellent. I also like the fact the safety is covered/protected.

The safety cover is a natural spot to place my thumb and help 'pop' the pistol free. And then my thumb is right on top of the safety.

Haven't noticed any serious negatives so far. I've only been wearing the new holster for a couple hours, so my impressions may not be worth much.

I started wearing it at 3:00, but the hard holster with a steel gun created a pressure spot against my boney hip. So the holster has migrated to 4:00 or so. I think this holster might work well for AIWB carry as well (I use my Vedder G30 holster AIWB).

So far, I'm well pleased.

p.s. I plan on using this holster with a stainless Colt 1911, hence the color. Today ended up being a Springer day. I don't think I'm quite fashion conscious enough to order a second holster in black. If someone notices my fashion faux pas, something more important has gone seriously wrong in my day. ***gulp***
Old 11-25-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Enterpris View Post

Just my opinion, of course.
Totally agree..God made plastic holsters for plastic guns.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:25 PM

I don't use kydex for anything, not even for my tactical tupperwares.

A quality leather holster will literally lasts a lifetime of daily wear and use. Not to mention that leather wears in like a nice pair of worn underwear. They're supple and comfortable yet still have great retention...if you start out with a quality leather holster.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:42 PM

Leather is nice.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:34 PM

Depending on the application I'll use different types.

For hunting in local swamps it's hard not to like kydex. Raven Concelment used to be my go-to for kydex. In response to the OP's question I looked at their webpage....things have changed over at Raven. Not much their in terms of holster & gun options.

I do have Garrett Silent Thunder holsters and can recommend them highly....but with one concern....those screws have loosened on me. I now use some non-permanent thread locker on them.

For daily carry that doesn't involve swamps & rain....then put me firmly in the "leather is my favorite" crowd.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:01 AM

I have holsters in both leather and kydex, and I like both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit View Post
Is there any advantage to a kydex holster over a leather one that Iím missing.
In addition to the points already mentioned about kydex, such as water and sweat proof, kydex holsters generally don't need any break in. Most of my leather holsters either needed the gun holstered wrapped with a plastic bag for a day or two or a bunch of presentations to get the draw to where I wanted it. Most of the kydex holsters were pretty good right off the bat.

On the other hand, the late Paul Gomez on "Choosing Gear for Concealed Carry". Paraphrasing him, "the good thing about kydex is it's fast, the bad thing about kydex is it's fast." See beginning around the 4:45 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF7VbYh9Qqk

I agree with him. Kydex is pretty secure for about 1/8" and once you've moved past that point the gun practically jumps out of the holster. Leather gives a longer distances for secure movement.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:41 AM

Here's the thing I like least about Kydex. Drawing from the holster is LOUD. I prefer the ability to be discreet when necessary. With Kydex it's like blowing a whistle that the gun is coming into play.

Last edited by Starship Enterpris; 11-26-2019 at 10:00 AM.