Selling and consolidating.... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-27-2019, 11:55 AM

Selling and consolidating....

Sold four guns this week....feels good 🙂. Selling 4-5 more now, more later. Buying one new ones. My collection is not huge, but it will be 15 guns smaller soon.

I have decided I wound rather have fewer, better then more.

Anyone else go through this?

I don’t want to be a collector and seemed to have turned into one.

Planing on doing this:

- Having a solid carry gun....Sig 365 SAS - Done

- Target .22 gun - Ruger 22/45 - Done

- Solid full size revolver - GP100 - Done

- Full size SA/DA - Shadow 2 CGW - Done

- Target 9m - Sig P210 - Considering buying

- carry Optic - Walther Q5- Done

- PCC - Ruger PC9 - Done

- Three Gun Shotgun - Rem 1100 - Done

That’s it....everything else goes.

If I want something new or different, it fits one of those categories and becomes an upgrade eliminating the gun currently in its place.

Too much stuff sitting in the safe and not getting use.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:57 AM

So.....no 1911's??
Old 10-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Forgot that one. Only have one now. A SR1911
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 12:09 PM

Oh yes, several times. Years ago I dumped a boatload of good guns, for a few very good guns.

Have done it with sg’s rifles and hg’s. Fewer but nicer, and just plain feet is better, at least for me.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:14 PM

I have downsized by 2-3 guns at a time, but when it comes to watches Iíve done 10-15 at a time. It feels good.

Good luck with your consolidation.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:28 PM

I have a set of guns I use for any real shooting role, everything else is just for fun/having a collection.

I totally understand having only guns that you use, honestly no matter how many you have you will always end up using the same few since some just naturally do better at a role.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 10-27-2019, 12:46 PM

Yup, downsizing too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
I have a set of guns I use for any real shooting role, everything else is just for fun/having a collection.

I totally understand having only guns that you use, honestly no matter how many you have you will always end up using the same few since some just naturally do better at a role.
I'm keeping a few heirlooms and special purpose and S/D guns but the rest are goin'. So far the last year I've actually reduced by about 5 guns!(-7/+2!)

Even though it is more convenient and quicker I have learned that third party sales of firearms is too costly for the seller!

Cheers,
Old 10-27-2019, 12:56 PM

As long you still keep your Walther, Water, we are still friends...
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 10-27-2019, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Every time I try to downsize along comes another gun I absolutely have to have. Life is cruel sometimes...
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:17 PM

I have a little. Dumped some of my duplicates (I have a habit of having pairs) a little while back for cash and two guns I just wanted in return. A part of me wants to thin more, but then the trying to decide what goes part kicks in.

Kind of like which kids, or worse yet, which dogs, do you keep and which to you send packing? Still working on that part.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 10-27-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Every time I try to downsize along comes another gun I absolutely have to have. Life is cruel sometimes...
Yes it is. There is always one more. I tried down sizing then you guys convinced me to get a 9mm so now I have 2. Have to say that the 9's are not doing it for me so they may have to go. I have been thru many semi autos over the past 10 years both striker and da/sa and nothing feels as good as a 1911.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:51 PM
Banned

Fairly common with not only guns but any hobby for that matter. Personally I always would rather have fewer of greater quality than greater quantity which are not. Much more happiness and enjoyment to be had this way if you ask me.

Generally I find myself starting less expensive only to get a better idea as to my likes and dislikes or test the waters a bit before going more expensive. That and just trying to determine what is all out there. Unfortunately my location isn’t the best but fortunately for the internet and forums such as this one can educate themselves fairly quickly and then in turn use the internet to access those better quality items.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:46 PM

I am in the process of down sizing. I donít need or use all I have. Guess I got carried away. So, the one I donít use are going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2019, 06:54 PM

I seem to go through periods of accumulation & then periods of selling. I have been known to buy one & then sell two that I feel the one takes the place of. It seems like I always wind up back with 12 or so.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:22 PM

I'm afraid I'm much more of an accumulator than a consolidator.

Almost everything I've bought for many years now is an out-of-production pistol or revolver that is at least somewhat difficult -- and sometimes almost impossible -- to locate in the condition I want, so there's no real fat to trim. The remaining more common stuff either serves a practical purpose (CCWs, duplicate CCWs for training, HD) or was purchased in the early part of my handgun buying days and has personal value to me well above the market value.

I have a few triplicates of certain models/variants that I've thought about moving out, but I'm in no rush. In general, if I sell anything, it will be because I've bought a better example of that same gun.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
As long you still keep your Walther, Water, we are still friends...
It my most used gun! It’s going nowhere.
Attached Thumbnails
09754327-0A89-4C23-BCB7-2C59DB317A26_1572233022221.jpeg  
Old 10-27-2019, 10:34 PM

Downsized long ago.
A target .22
A CCW
A HD
A hunting revolver
A cap and ball for fun.
That about covers all I have time for,
Old 10-27-2019, 10:57 PM

Downsizing firearms owned is not for me.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:14 PM
Administrator

The last time I downsized was 15 years ago when I was getting married and I got laid off from my job at the same time. I suddenly found myself in a huge financial pinch, plus my soon-to-be significant other was not a gun enthusiast by any stroke of the imagination so I decided it was time to thin out most of the herd. I knew there were sentimental ones I HAD to keep, but I decided to sell the valuable guns first to make as much money off of it as I could. I got rid of several highly collectible USGI 1911s, like a pre-war blued Colt M1911A1 and a 1913-vintage M1911 in fantastic condition. Also let go was a 1969 Colt Government Model still new in the original box, a pre-1990s Italian Beretta 92FS and a milled- receiver Polytech Legend AK-47S. Guns that I kept included a Jennings J-22 .22, which was so cheap I decided not to waste my time trying to sell. By the time the fire sale was over the number of guns I had left easily fit into a single Christmas wrapping paper storage container kept under the bed at my parents' house.

Fast forward to the present... the whole situation blew over much sooner than expected, and two years into marriage and a new house I was able to slowly start rebuilding my collection again. Unfortunately while I still have that cheap little Jennings .22 the 1913 Colt and the Polytech are long gone, and prices on equivalent ones have risen so much that I can no longer afford to buy guns like those again assuming I could even find them. The lesson I learned is to hang onto anything that is difficult to replace as long as you can... if you find yourself needing to liquidate your collection sell off the Glocks, ARs, and cheap guns FIRST. Don't let the rare or sentimental ones get away until you're literally down to your last pair of clean underwear and you're starving. As for owning a small number of valuable guns or a lot of cheaper ones, that is purely personal preference. But while a valuable gun is a lot easier to sell it's also a lot harder to replace once your situation improves, as I found out the hard way.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:33 PM

If I were to go purely utilitarian and only have guns for the sake of using, I could have it down to seven.

A Mossberg 590 with the barrel threaded for choke tubes, a Savage 110 in 300 Win Mag, a lock free S&W 442, a quality AR carbine, a Ruger 10/22, a Glock 19 gen 3, and a Colt Delta Elite.

But, I'm not a utilitarian with guns, and I will buy ones for myself to enjoy and sell the ones I'm tired of, or have no sentimental value towards.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:45 AM

From the first gun that I ever bought, a NIB S&W model 29 .44 magnum, I have never purchased any cheap guns, just to have quantity. I've always preferred quality over quantity all of my life. Because of this, and my limited funds, I've had to trade/sell off guns to fund new, quality guns. That first gun, my model 29, I sold to buy a brand new Colt Python.

Later I sold that Python to buy a brand new Colt AR15 carbine. I sold that to buy a brand new FN FAL rifle. Sold that to buy a brand new FN FAL Paratrooper model. Sold that to buy a brand new Galil AR .308 rifle. And so on, and so on. I hated to have to sell any of the guns that I have ever owned and if I was rich, I would have kept all of them and would have a gigantic collection. I'm not rich, nor was I ever rich, but, it mystifies me why anyone would buy any cheap guns. Over the last 40 years I've owned and traded or sold off many different guns. I have kept a number and have no plans to sell any of the ones that I have, unless I have a catastrophic emergency and need for immediate funds.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:51 AM

The four guns I sold....brought in less then $1000. That’s says it all. That money is paying for a Sig 210 Target.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:11 AM

As long as those PPK(s)' continue to go up in value, I'll hang on to them as investments. Same with my pre-WWI M-91 Finnish capture that still sports the Russian Imperial Eagle. I've got room in the safe and it isn't costing me anything to keep them around. As far as the utilitarian stuff, I've downsized the "projects" to the remaining 2-3 that I want to work on. If anything, it'll keep me busy and from joining a street gang or something.
Captain, Sons of the American Revolution
Old 10-28-2019, 11:15 AM

I keep thinking about downsizing but I have this irrational personal connection to most all of them. Some I haven't shot in years, but I enjoy owning them. My collection is all over the place, I'll buy something just because its cool to me, even though I have almost no real use for it. About the only theme I have is for battle rifles AK's, FNFALS and such and of course everything the US ever fielded, and I rarely shoot them.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:05 PM

I started downsizing in 2010. So far, I am only up seven guns currently.

US Army, Retired
NRA Benefactor Life Member