1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-27-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
Expensive? maybe not by today's standards of $3500 guns, my friend's L.A. Vickers full custom pistol built at least a decade ago. He shot and carried it like it was a glock....
Pictures above left out for sake of brevity.

And he probably loved every minute of it.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:30 AM

That is awesome...
Old 05-28-2020, 01:34 AM

A sack of wet cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_TX View Post
If you had an early Pro (Nowlin barrel, no MIM parts) in unfired/ANIB condition, there would certainly be an argument for keeping it that way (and buying a later one as a shooter). Aside from those, thereís no collector value there.

Same with Baers, Wilsons, Browns, and other semi-customs. Not only are they not collectibles, most of them depreciate like a sack of wet cement thrown from an airplane. Thereís absolutely no reason not to shoot them.
Can you show me on Gun Broker a Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown or Nighthawk going for $500 to $700 for a $2500 to $5000 gun? Thatís a ďwet cementĒ depreciation. What I see is used guns going for 75% to 90%. That isnít bad for a decent 1911.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:54 AM

Expensive 1911’s don’t impress me. I can build in accuracy I’ve done it before.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 05-28-2020, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
I only own two 1911ís these days and both are in the 9mm flavor. They are both ďlow mileageĒ as Iíve been shooting the various Berettaís lately
... especially the Langdon 92 Elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, he posted ! Sell them low mileage gats. Let them near me, I'd drop them on the ground and get them scuffed up.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:04 AM

Live long, laugh often and shoot your expensive guns

Nighthawk Custom, Tactical Carry Pistol (Heinie)...keeps getting better, too many rounds to count honestly...refinished once (by NHC) due to an "[email protected]" gunsmith who scratched it. Impressive USPSA tool/weapon. Updated sights, extremely fine trigger (myself), no problems with stock mechanics or fitment! It goes to my son when I'm done and he loves the look of functional wear. I'm a lucky man because I intend to try to recreate that wear.

Wilson Combat, EDC X9...Same, too many rounds to count. I buy .45 and 9mm in groups of 1K. My work and off duty carry piece.

STI (now "Staccato") 2011 DVC-P...relatively new but working on the round count. Very enjoyable (9mm) weapon to shoot due to my hand getting crushed at work - Fire Marshal - recovery still in question but still shooting and flying!
Happy Trails All and Be Well!, "KnockDown."

Also...Sig, Walther and Ruger and others who are unremarkable.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT OPS View Post
Nighthawk Custom, Tactical Carry Pistol (Heinie)...keeps getting better, too many rounds to count honestly...refinished once (by NHC) due to an "[email protected]" gunsmith who scratched it. Impressive USPSA tool/weapon. Updated sights, extremely fine trigger (myself), no problems with stock mechanics or fitment! It goes to my son when I'm done and he loves the look of functional wear. I'm a lucky man because I intend to try to recreate that wear.

Wilson Combat, EDC X9...Same, too many rounds to count. I buy .45 and 9mm in groups of 1K. My work and off duty carry piece.

STI (now "Staccato") 2011 DVC-P...relatively new but working on the round count. Very enjoyable (9mm) weapon to shoot due to my hand getting crushed at work - Fire Marshal - recovery still in question but still shooting and flying!
Happy Trails All and Be Well!, "KnockDown."

Also...Sig, Walther and Ruger and others who are unremarkable.
Ditto here with 'smith messing up finish on the slide. When I pointed it out he said "it's painted". The factory finish is something like duracoat or cerakote.

I guess Wilson doesn't make a X40. Perhaps they will if there is another hi-cap mag ban in the future.

Yes, be well all. I'm worried about the upcoming fall/winter with the pandemic.

If the Sig is made in Germany, I doubt it is unremarkable.

I vaguely remember hearing the PPK is coming back into production.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:35 PM

I think I shot my Les Baer a good bit. Iíve only had my Les Custom Carry 9mm for a few months now, and I just hit around the 4K mark on him. To me itís just Itís an expensive tool, and I figure usage give my blaster real character.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
Our friend Markwell carry and shoot his Wilson ULC pistol. You can say he does not baby the gun from this picture.

Whereís he been carrying it? The beach or the mud pits?

Old 05-31-2020, 08:07 AM

Ricky T, love that well worn Vickers finish.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:51 AM

The Wilson above was photographed after a day in the prairie dog towns; we sit and shoot off of sticks a lot. We now have a closed bottom Rhodesian clone from Rob Hipp to better protect the guns' muzzle. The dirt rinsed right off BTW.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:16 AM

Here is a Baer with 30k rounds through it: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=451456
Old 05-31-2020, 01:19 PM

I have 2 Les Baer 1911 in my collection. 1 Baer 1911 Bullseye Wadcutter Pistol With Baer Optical Scope Mount and a Premier II in 9mm. They are the most expensive guns in my collection. I never ever thought not to fire them because of their value. I fire them often because of their value and qualty build for accuracy. I look at them as a precision tool made to be used. Why buy them if you are not going to shoot them? In my handgun collection it seems that the lesser quality ones get shot a lot less. I also collect quality timepieces. Omega Speed Master Moon to Mars, Omega Seamaster, Breitling Super Avenger, Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine. Like my Les Baers I wear my timepieces and enjoy them. That's why I bought them. My advice is to shoot them often and and enjoy them to the max. Have fun and be safe.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSNOLA View Post
I think I shot my Les Baer a good bit. Iíve only had my Les Custom Carry 9mm for a few months now, and I just hit around the 4K mark on him. To me itís just Itís an expensive tool, and I figure usage give my blaster real character.

Iíd polish the top of that barrel with 1500 grit paper with gunoil. Then lube it with moly. What do the lugs look like?

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 06-03-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
Iíd polish the top of that barrel with 1500 grit paper with gunoil.
Why? All I see is oily firing residue.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:14 AM

Define "expensive."

My EDC is a $1,600.00 Dan Wesson VBob.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 06-03-2020, 10:38 AM

My most expensive isn't technically a 1911, but my EDC X9 spends each day in my holster and gets almost all of my weekly range time.

I'll likely spend well more than its value in ammo before (if) I wear it out, and then I'm sure Wilson can fix it up for me anyway.

Prior to the X9 I carried my next most expensive gun, a DW VBob, quite a bit and it is my most shot .45 by far.

It's no Baer, but it is nice and reliable.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
Ricky T, love that well worn Vickers finish.
Not my gun. Belongs to a friend.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:34 PM

I shoot my GI NNCís in 9 and .45. I wonít buy what I wonít shoot.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemaury View Post
Would you apply the same philosophy of use/disuse to women?
Iíve been known to wear out a few.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 06-06-2020, 10:45 AM

It's funny. I know plenty of guys who will spend 10 or 15 thousand dollars more on a vehicle then it would take to do what they require of the vehicle, without even thinking about it. And another one for their wife. Then they can't believe someone would pay 2 or 3 thousand on a nice gun when you can buy decent guns for much less. I've got a couple and I've used them in competition for years. They aren't just sitting around.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:57 AM

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Last edited by Butthead; 06-06-2020 at 12:06 PM. Reason: It's going to get flagged anyway.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:07 PM

My Baer is almost 30 years old with almost 30K through it and it's second finish. My Pro is on 3500 rounds and an EDC.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochahooligan View Post
My Baer is almost 30 years old with almost 30K through it and it's second finish. My Pro is on 3500 rounds and an EDC.
I didn't know they were in business that long.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:29 PM

It's my most expensive 1911 because it's my only 1911. Yes I shoot it a lot