Lee Automatic Processing Press (APP) review - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 12:29 PM

Lee Automatic Processing Press (APP) review

I like to decap my .45 Auto cases before wet/stainless tumbling.

I really didnít want to dirty my XL750, and I just received a few thousand cases of ďonceĒ fired brass from Capital Cartridge (mixed head stamp, mixed primer size)

My only other option was to deprime each case using a Lee Hand Press (itís fine for a portable press, but itís still a single stage with each case manually loaded.)

I really didnít feel like depriming thousands of cases on a single stage. I found and ordered the Lee APP. It seemed to be a decent option, and I didnít have the money for a Dillon CP 2000. (If anybody knows about other case processing presses, feel free to chime in).

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on it, and the most important piece of advice: buy Leeís case collator and universal case feeder. I agree 100%.

The APP arrived, I mounted it in my garage, and started setting it up.

The case loader & collator are a bit goofy, but it work. It holds ~80 .45 Auto before you have to reload it. It makes getting the cases in and oriented a breeze - maybe 1 min to load 80 cases.

It took about an hour to setup. Itís kind of clever: the ďexpress shell holderĒ spins freely - meaning it also auto-aligns as cases are fed. Does can be mounted at the top or bottom.

There are (out of stock) combination alignment & decappig pins. The idea is that if a case isnít aligned perfectly, the decapping pin will center and align the case for decapping.

As itís back ordered, I had to make due with the standard decapping pin. It worked fine.

I could decap about one case per second (somewhat leisurely). The handleís *much* shorter throw (about one foot versus 2 or so) than the Dillon XL750 meant I could decap without nearly as much vertical pumping. You donít need the leverage to decap, so I call it a plus.

If you count loading time and clearing stoppages, I probably averaged 30-40 cases per minute. Without the universal case feeder and collator, it would have been much slower.

It worked about as reliable as YouTube videos: since I was depriming ďnew to meĒ once fired brass, Iíd occasionally slow down as I hit the odd crimped case (with ď* US *Ē stamping on it). A few SPP Blazer Brass also had a very small flash hole, and I would mistake the bottom of the throw for the feel of punching through that tiny flash hole. Then Iíd have to clear things, and get back to pumping.

Itís definitely not perfect. The YouTube videos show probably one malfunction per minute, and thatís what I experienced. But it was *MUCH* more efficient and fun than using the single stage hand press to deprime.

At the end of my session, I still had a box of 2k cases left, but I had finished 3k:

The spent primer bottle is ok. I donít see having to dump it every 3,000 cases as a problem.

It held up well, and I feel I got my moneyís worth for decapping alone.

I should also be able to size bullets, size cases, swage primer pockets, and ďbulge bustĒ as needed. (Though many of those additions are backordered, like many reloading tools & supplies). I hope to be able to update the review as I get a chance/need to use it for those purposes.

It can also be used to prime, seat, and crimp rounds, making it possible to use as a single stage press. I doubt Iíll ever use it for loading ammo, but itís possible.

Last edited by Pariah Zero; 06-01-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:07 PM

did you have to hand fill the tubes? If it had a casefeeder or an adapter so it could share a casefeeder- that would be sweet.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 PM

Glad to hear, I got one last week and have not set it up yet.
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
did you have to hand fill the tubes? If it had a casefeeder or an adapter so it could share a casefeeder- that would be sweet.

Lee makes a case collator. The phrase ďif itís stupid and it works, then itís not stupidĒ probably describes it best.

You drop a handful of cases into the funnel with one hand, kind of stir & shake the funnel + tubes with the other, and cases drop into the tubes (and nearly always oriented properly, no less).

It takes about 15-30 seconds to scoop and shake down 80 45 auto cases.

I probably only had 10 out of 3,000 cases drop upside down. It looks really stupid, but it works.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah Zero View Post
It looks really stupid, but it works.
That's very high praise for anything that has "Lee" and "Automatic" in the description you know...
Old 06-02-2020, 06:40 AM

It is funny that ďautomaticĒ is used and it has 1 station!
I get it, but the 750 is designed to mow through cases and it even spits loaded ones out! Then again, Iím hearing more and more people that decap before dumping stuff into their progressives. I must be a heathen....My equipment gets cleaned though.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:53 AM

Yeah, but if you clean your cases first (it saves wear on the dies) then you might want to deprime before that so the pockets get cleaned. This assumes you wet tumble your cases.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqncigars View Post
Yeah, but if you clean your cases first (it saves wear on the dies) then you might want to deprime before that so the pockets get cleaned. This assumes you wet tumble your cases.
That is exactly what I do. Depriming after wet tumbling isnít as nice: by pulling the primer first, itís *much* easier to rinse & drain the cases. The primer hole serves as a air vent and/or drain for water stuck in the cases.

Shiny and clean primer pockets is a nice side effect.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
It is funny that “automatic” is used and it has 1 station!
I get it, but the 750 is designed to mow through cases and it even spits loaded ones out! Then again, I’m hearing more and more people that decap before dumping stuff into their progressives. I must be a heathen....My equipment gets cleaned though.
Nitro,
Just in case you didn't get the topic of this post. Some of us like to deprime our cases before they are prepped in a wet tumbler and SS pins. The brass comes out looking awesome. We all get it, you love your Dillon press. However. This is not about which is the best method to reload ammo. It's about prepping your brass BEFORE you reload them.

Last edited by RetiredRod; 06-02-2020 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Deleted inappropriate comment.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:53 AM

Not sure why you are in attack mode. I called myself a heathen. I know damn well what the thread is about. I donít see you going after any of the other posts, so pretty soon Iíll just label you as a troll. I never said I had a Dillion either. I just mentioned what a 750 was capable of doing. I do not own a 750. Get off your horse.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Not sure why you are in attack mode. I called myself a heathen. I know damn well what the thread is about. I donít see you going after any of the other posts, so pretty soon Iíll just label you as a troll. I never said I had a Dillion either. I just mentioned what a 750 was capable of doing. I do not own a 750. Get off your horse.
Troll? I've been a member on this site 9 years longer than you. You are correct, you are not the only one with a snarky remark in this post and I should have not singled you out. Sorry.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Blue View Post
Troll? I've been a member on this site 9 years longer than you. You are correct, you are not the only one with a snarky remark in this post and I should have not singled you out. Sorry.

FWIW, Iím pretty sure Nitro .45ís remark was aimed vaguely in my direction: we had a discussion in a different thread that included why I bought the Lee APP to deprime dirty brass, instead of my new (and clean) XL750.

Either way... the APP suits my use case (quickly decapping brass before wet tumbling). With the APP, I move the press handle half as far as my XL750 to decap ó advantageous for those of us who also want to ďonlyĒ decap before cleaning brass.

I could imagine the APP and Mr. Bulletfeeder (with the ďtip downĒ feeding mode) could be a *killer* combo for those who cast & poly-coat their own.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Let's let it be for now. To each his own. Some like to de-prime before cleaning (wet or dry, rotary or vibratory) and some don't. Give the pro's & con's of your method if you like, but don't name call, directly or by inference about another member who may do things differently from you. Again, to each his own.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-04-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah Zero View Post
the APP suits my use case (quickly decapping brass before wet tumbling).
I'm intrigued... For $110, I can justify it pretty easily, just trying to figure out a better case feeder set up for it.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:53 PM

Got mine for $75. Hope to have up up and running this weekend
Old 06-04-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
I'm intrigued... For $110, I can justify it pretty easily, just trying to figure out a better case feeder set up for it.

It was $80 at Midway (where I got it).

The Lee case feeder & collator are also cheap enough I encourage giving it a try. I am still shocked how well it works.

Otherwise, you can probably feed it from a Dillon/Hornady case feeder with few problems. A bit of PEX tube from the hardware store should have the right amount of flex and stiffness to feed cases to Leeís tubes.

Hmm. Maybe Iíll take a picture of what Iím thinking...
Old 06-04-2020, 10:05 PM

Yeah, it shouldnít be too hard to stretch some tubing from the case feederís output to the APPís input.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Let's let it be for now. To each his own. Some like to de-prime before cleaning (wet or dry, rotary or vibratory) and some don't. Give the pro's & con's of your method if you like, but don't name call, directly or by inference about another member who may do things differently from you. Again, to each his own.
Itís all good...
No problem with either process. Much smoother and cleaner if you decap ahead of time and Iíll be the first to admit it. Just the same, I have admitted to just ramming them through the old fashioned way and being a pig about it.
The jab at the APP was due to the use of ďautomaticĒ. There has been plenty of negative chatter over the years about Leeís issues when it comes to anything automatic. That was the direction of the jab, not at the APP, and certainly not Pariah.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
That was the direction of the jab, not at the APP, and certainly not Pariah.
Zero hard feelings on my side. Have a good one! (Or maybe a cold one? I guess it depends on whether weíre talking about a day or beverage...)
Old 06-06-2020, 08:10 AM

Letís do both...itís the weekend!
Old 06-07-2020, 01:43 PM

I have seen photos and videos on the Interweb of folks using a Dillon case feeder on their APP. Also a few folks have put a wheel in line to turn the cases over (primer side up) for some of the functions that need it on the press

I am on the wall as to whether to get one. Inexpensive for what it does when it works, but there are several issues that seem to crop up with those that using it (I have been following a Lee APP facebook group for the last month just to see ..)
Old 06-07-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoc View Post
there are several issues that seem to crop up with those that using it (I have been following a Lee APP facebook group for the last month just to see ..)
Iíll have to look it up. Iíve had a good experience thus far, but Iíve only done one thing: decap .45 auto.

Last edited by Pariah Zero; 06-07-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoc View Post
I have seen photos and videos on the Interweb of folks using a Dillon case feeder on their APP. Also a few folks have put a wheel in line to turn the cases over (primer side up) for some of the functions that need it on the press

I am on the wall as to whether to get one. Inexpensive for what it does when it works, but there are several issues that seem to crop up with those that using it (I have been following a Lee APP facebook group for the last month just to see ..)
Can you elaborate on the cropping issues??