If You Lived Near a Riot Zone... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 08:18 AM

If You Lived Near a Riot Zone...

Looking at all the riots now...and recalling our old house where every summer night we could hear gunshots (and every year they got closer) what actions would you take if you lived near an active riot zone? Would you attempt to harden your castle?

Just wondering.

BTW, going to the john at 3:00am and hearing the gunfire IS an uncomfortable experience...we moved 23 years ago.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:36 AM

My normal EDC is a very compact 1911 9mm. For the next few days I am carrying a Glock 20. I figure 50 rounds of 10 mm beats 25 rounds of 9 mm if the SHTF and the likelyhood of that happening has gone up at least somewhat in the last couple of days. And the 12 gauge pump loaded with mini-buckshot shells is handy when I am at home.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy9 View Post
Looking at all the riots now...and recalling our old house where every summer night we could hear gunshots (and every year they got closer) what actions would you take if you lived near an active riot zone? Would you attempt to harden your castle?
I'd do the only thing common sense and reason dictates: Move

Leave the Escape From New York-environment to the people who caused it. They get what they deserve.

Cities are no longer "where it is". The FSA has gotten too big and is centralized by cities. The Mob who can't or won't work has gotten too organized and powerful. They would much rather steal and destroy then work and build.

What you sew so shall you reap.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 05-31-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 03:41 PM

I'd try talking to neighbors to see who'd be interested in consolidating forces to provide an armed neighborhood watch program should the need arise. Also check to see if LE could provide some support as well if needed or would we be on our own. Be a good time to put your bug out plan to the test too.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:20 PM

Verify your confirmation number from the monthly payment for homeowners insurance.
Arm yourself and press record on your cameras.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:25 PM

I live in St. Louis city, a Leftist stronghold. If The Donald loses on November 3, I still have 77 days to find a new place to live, probably two counties away. I will be staying up as long as it takes to get the final results.
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
I'd do the only thing common sense and reason dictates: Move

Leave the Escape From New York-environment to the people who caused it. They get what they deserve.

Cities are no longer "where it is". The FSA has gotten too big and is centralized by cities. The Mob who can't or won't work has gotten too organized and powerful. They would much rather steal and destroy then work and build.

What you sew so shall you reap.
^This

You can be prepared as much as you want to be, but you can't possibly avoid everything and this aint no movie where the hero always survives no matter what.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:23 PM

Lightbulb

I'm 4 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. There's a few numbnoos down there right now, but nothing like LAST night. Listening to my Bearcat scanner, orders were being given from on high, to LET the numbnoos loot & pillage. Carloads (plural) of them were escaping, with foil covered license plates, and the police giving chase - THEY were ordered to stand down.

I've been sleeping downstairs, in a barcalounger in my office, for 16+ years now - with a 1911 by my side. As I have done only a few times before (every time the OBAMANATION had a G10 summit or some such in town, the numbnoos came and rioted then, too, so this ain't my first go-round with the Anqueefers, et.al.), my HD AR was on my other side, staged to go.

If one of those carloads ended up at the WRONG address, I was gonna make SURE they ended up at the RIGHT one.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:35 PM

My daughter works in Dayton OH. She was at work when the the shtf. My son and I had to go in and get her out. Luckily we were a few blocks away from the chaos.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:54 PM

Angry

You will get no support from the city, county or local police. They would sooner throw you in prison for defending yourself than any of them defending your property. Citizen, you are on your own. If possible , leave the area and stay with aunt Martha for a week or two till this blows over.
Gather important documents and your family, just as you would in a hurricane emergency. Nobody is coming to help you.. the local police scanners should give you a clue on that. This ain't HollyWood and you ain't Slyvester Stallone or Mad Max. JMHO
Old 05-31-2020, 11:44 PM

Offhand I would have to say.

That if you live in an area that might possibly get swept up in this sort of conflagration. Then you might want to to reconsider some of your lifestyle choices to date. Just sayin.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
I live in St. Louis city, a Leftist stronghold. If The Donald loses on November 3, I still have 77 days to find a new place to live, probably two counties away. I will be staying up as long as it takes to get the final results.
Yep, you can bet he'll incite " proper action" as that time draws near.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer131 View Post
You will get no support from the city, county or local police. They would sooner throw you in prison for defending yourself than any of them defending your property. Citizen, you are on your own. If possible , leave the area and stay with aunt Martha for a week or two till this blows over.
Gather important documents and your family, just as you would in a hurricane emergency. Nobody is coming to help you.. the local police scanners should give you a clue on that. This ain't HollyWood and you ain't Slyvester Stallone or Mad Max. JMHO
The fact that this is the case is probably one of the more galling things about the riots. Cops can't (or won't) stop the people looting or committing assault and arson. But they have no problem taking time to arrest and charge someone that was defending themselves from those who were committing assault, arson, or looting.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:53 AM

As we look at the carnage on TV and see what these "people" are doing, it just reminds me further of just why I left the sewer known as the Bay Area and Kommiefornia many years ago and moved away from all big cities and the "people" in them.

By the look of the national news, I know I made the right decision. And virtually just about everyone here is armed and carries!

If you come, bring your own bag, 'cause you ain't goin' home in your hoodie!
Old 06-01-2020, 11:02 AM

To me, since I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, the first thing is do your research
to find out what the laws/statutes WHERE YOU LIVE, say about the use of lethal force.

I've looked at several states and most are very explicit about you being able to use lethal
force on ARSONISTS (Molotov Cocktails, etc), but there CAN be variations. LOOK IT UP!

What are the statutes/laws on the use of lethal force in other situations? THOSE vary
significantly! You need to know what your state allows, to stand any chance of keeping
your posterior out of long term jail! - - - Once you have done your research, if you have
any questions, talk with YOUR LAWYER. In some states local LE will give you straight
answers, in several left leaning states you need to talk with YOUR lawyer.

DOCUMENT YOUR FINDINGS and keep a copy with you.
. . . . it doesn't matter what the answer is.
~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:49 PM

A few hours away from San Antonio and they have had some incidents there. Reports that some "activist," i.e. imported instigators, were intending to bus in to Uvalde, a small city less than an hour away.

Me, I watched Hallmark movies yesterday while loading AR and AK mags. I'll probably load some more mags today. I already have the standard scattering of quick to grabs from pistol to rifle caliber to shotgun.

My neighbor on one side is retired LEO. Our neighborhood with one lonely Biden exception, has yards filled with Trump/Pence signs. A target neighborhood probably, but also one filled with former military and LE, and a few LE living in nearby. If you are en mass and coming up the street and across yards a few of us will take that as an immediate threat to life and property. Especially since the area probably has a higher ratio of grey hairs to not.

The bad part is that this county is a bit more sparsely populated. The one stoplight town is the county seat. We only have two towns. This one with 1750 people per 2018 count and the other with 99 as of 2018. With only the Sheriff's Department to cover it all you better be able to fend for yourself and hopefully join with neighbors.

I also see that Border Patrol is having officers pulled away to help with areas having riots or potential issues. Which means less on the border where we are near to.

Kind of answers that question of why anyone would need an AR or AK and 30 round mags. I'm thinking a few drum mags might be a good idea. For the ARs, the AR/AK hybrid, and the PAK-9 with Glock magwell.

We were supposed to have our delayed quarterly meeting of the local gun club a few weeks ago. However, our young (relatively speaking) president decided to cancel it again even though things were open here and we had our amatuer radio club meeting the very next night in the same place. I still haven't seen a gun club contact roster. Some of us didn't get the info for that one either. The few of us who showed because we didn't get the word feel our president is a ****y. And only good for chairing a meeting and not much else. I gave him my email two or three times and still don't get the emails.

A few showed up at the meeting in April that was cancelled without some of us being informed. Those few had bounced the idea of needing to get some organization to rally if needed for other stuff. That was before all this. Sounds like a better idea now, just later than it should be. I'm going to have to see if I can get a contact roster and see who is interested in having our own gathering to discuss these things.

I hate to say it, but unlike the Rodney King riots and the Ferguson riots that were orchestrated to disrupt and to distract, I have a feeling that these are being used for more. Especially with actions being directed beyond the usual cities and farther out into those cities in areas usually less affected. Given the timing, the whole bail fund drive, even some officials claiming they support ANTIFA, as well as the extended target areas with a more common knowledge of people being bussed in. This is another phase and a continuation of the war on the Constitution and the continued attempt at coup of the Presidency.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 06-01-2020, 01:56 PM

As the old saying goes about a pistol only being good to fight your way to your rifle, I am keeping a rifle handier and I do not live near a "riot zone". But you can't be too prepared.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:00 PM

I live 3.5 miles from the state house in Columbus. Some true protestors walked down Main St towards downtown yesterday without incident. I applaud them and support them. The thugs started in again last night. I smelled smoke, heard sirens, and lots of speeding cars. I have “un-Safed” some more potent firepower.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:34 PM

Here's a useful app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&pli=1

Old 06-01-2020, 04:50 PM

Anything other than moving is a compromise.

When a riot actually reaches one's property, I fear that the historical lessons as to what occurs are all too clear.

Property owners rarely fare well, and, many times, those who've attempted to defend their property suffered worse fates than those who simply abandoned the area ASAP.

One could hope that a riot would not reach your property. That's risk percentage calculation, and obviously it is location/circumstances specific.

I suppose that the further away one resides from the hot spot(s), the more reasonable/realistic it becomes to focus on hardening in-place defense measures (of course the latter could be a good idea wholly independent of the riot risk factor). The limitation being that, even with considerable firepower, a large number of violent rioters can be too much. And the local courts might not be a supportive ally, even if one successfully defends.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 06-01-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:39 PM

I live in south Philly. The looters and protestors are two completely different groups. I think the line between looting shoe stores and forcing entry into a residential home is pretty big.

Attached are some pics, one from Saturday night you can see the smoke cloud, one on a normal night.

Explaining to my young children what’s going on and why is the hardest part.
Attached Thumbnails
7C881F61-C3AC-4117-BB80-B9D276911440_1591054657901.jpeg   0B7C4ED1-9541-4643-9E34-D416608781C6_1591054712354.jpeg  
Old 06-01-2020, 07:18 PM

Went out at lunch today to mail some letters. On the way back I thought I would stop and get some gas . At first I thought the Mobile station was closed but saw one person getting gas. The whole building had metal hurricane shutters installed. I thought that was strange then it dawned on me it was for potential riots. The station was about 3 miles from the house but about 10-12 from where the riots in Tampa were where the criminals burned down a Mobile gas station. Maybe it was a Corp. decision to board up all the Mobile stations. Kind of a strange feeling when I realized what was going on.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:23 PM
Banned

I do live near some rioting. We live about a mile from University Village, which was just closed due to broken windows and looting. We live about five miles from downtown, where police cruisers have been burned.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:26 PM

Questions to ask yourself:
- Does your Property insurance cover riots?
- How many fire extinguishers do you have?
- What fire retardant clothing will you wear?
- Do you have back up Comms in addition to a cell phone?
- What is your state’s deadly force statute?
- What party does the senior district attorney/prosecutor belong to?
- What is your lawyer’s cell number?
Old 06-01-2020, 09:06 PM
Banned

If your property is your home, you are legally entitled to keep people out. If they threaten your life by invading your home, you entitled to defend yourself. But you better have the firepower to defend against them all, 'cause you might tend to piss them off by killing some of them.

Not a pleasant scenario in reality, but leaving your home without defending it simply invites losing it. If you aren't there to defend it, no else is going to - likely resulting in the loss of your home and valuables. A guess a tough decision every one would have to make for themselves, especially if you had family members also involved.