OMG! I canít believe this happened yesterday! - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-25-2020, 10:57 AM

Open Carry of a Hi Point, to me, is a fashion error if nothing else.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Ha!! "about"?? Try THE cheapest...$35 MSRP. I had never heard of RŲhm Gesellschaft until a few years ago. My buddy asked me to help him move some very heavy bronze sculptures. He said if I would volunteer my time, my truck and my back he would give me a nice condition .38 revolver he was willing to part with. I asked what kind, and he said couldnt remember the name, but it started with "R". My mind immediately went to "Ruger", and I said OK, sure.

I almost blew out a testical trying to help a 72-year-old man move these battleship anchors. So when he handed me THIS I apparently couldnt hide the disappointment on my face.

Immediatley I noticed the plastic grips, which looked like they belonged on a toy pistol from Dollar General, and the monkey metal frame looks like it could be melted with a cigarette lighter. It's been sitting in a shoebox on my closet shelf...I'm too afraid to fire it (I've become fond of having all five fingers).

So, yeah...makes a Hi Point look like a Sig Legion.
My older sister needed a pistol but could not afford to buy one. The only local gun shop in town at that time had a very similar, if not the same revolver as this one. I couldnít afford much but I could afford to purchase one like that in 38 special. You had to remove the cylinder completely to load 5 rounds in it and then reinstall it to ready the gun. I bought it for her and showed her how to load and unload it and that was about it. Someone decided that they wanted that pistol and stole it, canít say I was crushed. I then went and purchased a Star Firestar plus in 9mm with 2 15 round mags. Her son stole that and sold it for money for weed. I then gave her a Kel-Tec PF9 and a year ago the local Sportsmans Warehouse had the stainless Smith & Wesson on sale for $260.00 so I bought it for her birthday, a lock box cabled to her bed frame, a spare mag to make it three total mags. 100 rounds of FMJ 9mm and 350 rounds of hollow points. Now this is all over a time period of 32 years but sheís on her own now
Old 05-25-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Thank you, that was all I was getting at. I never open carry myself and no one else does around here either and thatís what caught me off guard. The one guy I see open carrying was him. I like how everyone is judging me for supposedly judging this guy. Iím not judging him, it was just a freaking moment in time.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:02 PM

Iíve owned hipoints and Jennings. The Jennings J22 was actually was of my funnest guns to shoot I ever had. I shot the crap outta it.
Never the less no matter how good you think you are there is always somebody better be it financially or equipment wise.
I donít look down on people nor do I really look up with envy. I just keep plodding along all by myself...
COTEP#782
Old 05-25-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
. It was like seeing a UFO for the first time, or maybe a big foot. I mean we have all heard they exist but never thought I’d see one myself.

Anyway, I left before I busted out laughing, nothing against a HP but exposed?

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, that was all I was getting at.
Since when is carrying(either concealed or open), other than at a Texas Bar-B-Que, a "fashion statement"? Is that opinion something that is acquired from the thin atmosphere when one puts themselves on such a high pedestal? We gun owners have enough going against us already, we do not need, others, supposedly on our side, snickering while whispering behind our backs, mocking and belittling us. Funny how sometimes it's difficult at best to differentiate some adults from third grade girls on the playground.

Quote:
Yes, I guess ya had to have been there.
Glad I wasn't. The company there doesn't sound like the type of folks I prefer to hang around with. "Johnny handgun"......now there's a statement.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:30 PM

I don't care who you are or what you have, there's always someone who has more or better than you. He might seem like a strange guy with his hat and custom gripped Highpoint in an Uncle Mike rig, and maybe he is, but he's a brother gun owner. I remember walking into an LGS for the first time. Bunch of regulars standing around drinking coffee from styrofoam cups shooting the breeze. Their eyes following my every move - probably making wrong assumptions about the rookie deputy sheriff they didn't know anything about. BTW, I put a Colt Trooper on layaway that day.

Mike

COTEP - CBOB 516
Old 05-25-2020, 04:20 PM

I totally understand what the Op is getting at.

If one is going to Open Carry, especially in an area where few to none do so, your hardware will be noticed.

And that pistol & it's low-quality holster is not a crummy ensemble, in the grand scheme of guns & leathercraft.

Like cargo shorts at a wedding, better could be done with not much more cost or effort.

Is that an elitist, bourgeois attitude? ---------------- only if Mr Hi Point is actually incapable of affording another $75 for something more presentable.

Because he is choosing to present. If poverty was his issue he could always CC the thing.

Look, in money discussions here I have long been a proponent of cheap, paid-for cars. I think anyone paying over $3k, to get from A to B is wasting their money. A 2001 Salvage Title Hyundai is just fine & nobody cares about your car anyhow Just keep it clean & running.

Rich or poor, there's Nothin' wrong with that.

But if you actively seek out display of your salvage title Hyundai by rolling up to the Red Carpet in it, yeah, you'll get some odd looks.

Because either you are totally clueless OR you are a very clever & funny guy.

Bottom line: I don't think the OP was looking down his nose as much as surprised at the man's choice of an OC gun and rig.

Side note: My current fun toy car is a rusty, crusty, one-plastic-seat, '71 MG Midget that I bought for $400.00 in January.

I drive that poopbox with wild abandon. And when people look down on me (many do) I'm neither offended or shocked. Because she IS a total stack of crap. I cannot deny this. Very very unfashionable for sure.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I totally understand what the Op is getting at.

If one is going to Open Carry, especially in an area where few to none do so, your hardware will be noticed.

And that pistol & it's low-quality holster is not a crummy ensemble, in the grand scheme of guns & leathercraft.

Like cargo shorts at a wedding, better could be done with not much more cost or effort.

Is that an elitist, bourgeois attitude? ---------------- only if Mr Hi Point is actually incapable of affording another $75 for something more presentable.

Because he is choosing to present. If poverty was his issue he could always CC the thing.

Look, in money discussions here I have long been a proponent of cheap, paid-for cars. I think anyone paying over $3k, to get from A to B is wasting their money. A 2001 Salvage Title Hyundai is just fine & nobody cares about your car anyhow Just keep it clean & running.

Rich or poor, there's Nothin' wrong with that.

But if you actively seek out display of your salvage title Hyundai by rolling up to the Red Carpet in it, yeah, you'll get some odd looks.

Because either you are totally clueless OR you are a very clever & funny guy.

Bottom line: I don't think the OP was looking down his nose as much as surprised at the man's choice of an OC gun and rig.

Side note: My current fun toy car is a rusty, crusty, one-plastic-seat, '71 MG Midget that I bought for $400.00 in January.

I drive that poopbox with wild abandon. And when people look down on me (many do) I'm neither offended or shocked. Because she IS a total stack of crap. I cannot deny this. Very very unfashionable for sure.
Thank you for understanding. Iím just like you, my wife has a nice little z98 Altima with a smashed front bumper we paid $250 for and her daily is a dented rusted 2005 Altima we paid $300.00 for and I rebuilt the front suspension on it and we are at $600 in it. My driver is a wrecked 205 Honda Accord that I fixed up 6 years ago and we have $3000 in it. I do have a secret weapon that hides in the garage all covered up and a 2017 Kawasaki I bought. I am not a snob. I could care less if people laugh at my cars. I have some decent guns but I am far from a gun snob.

As a matter of fact I suggested the fellow check out the Sig P365, which he was asking to see when I left. I also commented on his grips on his HP. I had to look twice to see it wasnít something else because it was unique. I promise he was treated well and never felt unwelcome at that LGS.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Wow, Johnny, you make fun of Downs Syndrome kids too?
Only if they are walking around with guns.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:45 PM

I was watching reruns of "TOP SHOT" You know, that show where the winner of the season gets $100K.

Anyway...........

One of the contestants was a Golf instructor (OK, fine, not everyone good with firearms is a pro shooter or military/police). He was talking with a female contestant and she mentioned she was a THREE GUN champion for women.

The Golf instructor then said, "What is Three Gun?"

Then I thought to myself, WHAT THE FAKK DID HE JUST SAY??????????

The guy with the uncle mikes and hi point wasn't claiming anything. The guy on top shot didn't know what the hell 3 gun was.

I think that guy trumps any hippy walking into a gun store.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I like how everyone is judging me for supposedly judging this guy.
Come on Johnny get with the program brother, the world is all about jumping to conclusions and assuming the worst about everyone else.......
Old 05-25-2020, 06:18 PM

Snoopy47 ----------- The OP was called a Hippie in the gun store. Not the Hi Point guy.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Snoopy47 ----------- The OP was called a Hippie in the gun store. Not the Hi Point guy.
So a hippie was calling out a hi point guy?
Old 05-25-2020, 06:37 PM

Not so many years ago while I was in the 1st SGT's office in my Army Unit a recruiter came to visit him, and introduce a new Reserve Soldier.

The young and excited soldier was wearing a WW2 uniform with the Ike jacket and all (no rank or awards, so he wasn't stealing any valor).

Everyone in the office had to maintain our composure and be professional. I'm sure the recruiter was thinking the same thing (oh lord, these guys are never going to let me come back here with new soldiers).

Once they left we were all busting up laughing thinking *** was that.... he's in OUR unit now, oh lord................

Anyway, fast forward. That soldier is a Staff SGT now (E6), and ironically, the Army will be going back to those uniforms. So I'm sure he's even more excite he can be wearing vintage stuff.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao0jX9LyRrc

High Point, "Use it or lose it buddy!"

Decisions, decisions.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 05-25-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
So a hippie was calling out a hi point guy?
So a hippie, a hi-point guy, and a priest walk into a brothel.... Never mind. This is a family friendly forum.

OP face it brother. You tried to show a little humor and got flamed for being a d-bag. Its all in good fun.

Just don't kick my dog when you come over
Old 05-25-2020, 07:59 PM

Our local GS owner says he gets very few Hi Points back because they don't work. He says they are reliable. Isn't that the #1 criteria of a defensive gun?
Old 05-25-2020, 08:08 PM

The only thing I could ever say for sure is that if he shot someone with that highpoint to save a life, the dead guy would never know the difference.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
So a hippie, a hi-point guy, and a priest walk into a brothel.... Never mind. This is a family friendly forum.

OP face it brother. You tried to show a little humor and got flamed for being a d-bag. Its all in good fun.

Just don't kick my dog when you come over
Iím a huge animal lover, incidentally they arenít nearly as judgmental as people
Old 05-25-2020, 08:52 PM

meh
Old 05-25-2020, 09:08 PM

I have a small Sub-Collection of ghetto guns. RG, Jennings, Raven, etc. Including a heavy little 9mm heap called an Accutek.

I call it The Kraputek. Man, is it bad!
Old 05-25-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao0jX9LyRrc

High Point, "Use it or lose it buddy!"

Decisions, decisions.
Oh I love it hahahahaha!!!
Old 05-27-2020, 05:14 PM

I would have laughed too..LOL
Old 05-27-2020, 05:31 PM

Strange thread. A self-professed hippie with a fleet of wrecked cars calling out a stranger for a hi-point and uncle mikes. Never a dull day on the internet.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:39 PM

I have never owned a Hi point, but I have had some inexpensive pistols that filled the need at that point in my life (poor). I think my truck M&P is in the console residing in an Uncle Mike’s synthetic holster from long ago.
I did see a young guy at the grocery store last month with his pistol flopping around in a holster that was hanging low on his butt cheek. I’m not sure how he was going to draw the thing, but hopefully he practiced with his setup. I asked my wife what she thought about it and she didn’t even notice! At any rate, I got a chuckle out of it and those are few nowadays!