What’s causing this wear? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 11:01 AM

Hang on, and I'll post a couple of photos of my own. I suspect you need to look at your firing pin stop, before your hammer.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:03 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jig-RvZr1OM. somewhat related. this slow mo cutout in operation is great! the hammer really does bounce off the disconnector rail on recoil. reducing the main spring -as some one mentioned elsewhere- and having a hammer not ground to a point.. and. not having a 80s slide would have prevented the issues with my gun, probably.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleger View Post
Hang on, and I'll post a couple of photos of my own. I suspect you need to look at your firing pin stop, before your hammer.
the firing pin stop never looked right to me
Old 05-20-2020, 11:05 AM
1911 Aficionado

How much does the hammer over-cock when the slide runs over it?
I've had guns where the hammer moves almost imperceptibly, and others where the hammer rotates an eighth of an inch; if the latter, you can remove material from the hammer to create a flat to ride the rail, rather than just an edge as you have now.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:16 AM

Look at the wear on your FPS. The pattern looks sort of wedge-shaped to me.

It seems to be thicker, front-to-back, at the bottom of your photos, which is the right side. Looks consistent with the wear on your hammer. I think I see a bright spot about mid-way down the hammer face at the right.

Without having it in-hand, I wonder whether the hammer is dropping off of the stop and bearing hardest on the left side of the slide, opposite the ser. 80 hole?

If it were me, I'd first try contouring the bottom of the FPS a bit better, assuming it's lop-sided as your photos suggest to me. I'd (judiciously) clean up those chatter marks on the bottom of the side with a block and paper, hit everything with some cold blue or a sharpie, and go from there.

I wonder whether those chatter marks might be throwing you off. I'll post some photos of an especially ****ty slide I have here in my next post.
Attached Thumbnails
99.jpeg  

Last edited by cleger; 05-20-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:46 AM

Here's that slide. The photo with the little captions is what it looked like as delivered, ten years ago. The other photos were taken just now.

As you can see, this gun was/is doing something similar. As it happens, I replaced the original... everything... to include the firing pin stop, because everything fit so loose, but do look at the wear, and the shape of the bottom of the FPS. I might revisit that area again, but I have Colts that are just as uneven (if not scarred by machining debris and crap cutters, as this one was/is.)

Don't be fooled by the smooth(ish) black finish in that slide. I've ground it way down, and as you can see, the worst marks are still there. Of course, I could get away with plenty of material removal because I had peened the frame rails to within an inch of their lives, the fit was so bad.

I would try to contour the bottom of your FPS, and clean-up the slide a bit. Don't go too far though... consider the height of your disconnector.
Attached Thumbnails
aslIMG_1931.jpg   aslIMG_1932.jpg   aslIMG_1928.jpg   asldsc_0010.jpg  

Last edited by cleger; 05-20-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:14 PM

What about hot ammo loads? Last 100 rounds or so I have been using ammo from a company called Defender ammunition. the FPS is quite high for a 230grn round nose of 880fps
Old 05-20-2020, 03:35 PM

The more I look at your photos, the less I think there's anything particularly "abnormal" about the wear... I think the main issues are the rough finish, and (maybe) the shape of that FPS, though it's hard to tell from a couple of photos.Those lateral marks still have finish in them, if I see what I think I do.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
The more I look at your photos, the less I think there's anything particularly "abnormal" about the wear... I think the main issues are the rough finish, and (maybe) the shape of that FPS, though it's hard to tell from a couple of photos.Those lateral marks still have finish in them, if I see what I think I do.
it was smooth from the factory. I have gone back and forth on what I was going to do with the firearm. Its on its way back to the factory to see what they think... in the mean time... I picked up another Ruger anyway. though the damn background check line is backed up again, so could not take it home today. still better than back in my home state of Hawaii for gun laws though.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:06 PM

also didn't mention that there is a crack on the slide towards the rear, right behind the safety. so, ultimately, it needed to go back to the factory anyway.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:18 AM

Ok. Now that I have another 1911 of known quality to compare to -ruger sr1911- I am convinced that the problem is the grip safety to hammer clearance. with the ruger the grip safety does not even come close to touching the hammer, when the slide is back on recoil. The Standard Mfg. the hammer and grip safety actually contact with the grip safety slightly not depressed and the slide is back. There are witness marks on the grip safety where the hammer contacts. It’s unfortunate that a otherwise excellent 1911 has such a fatal flaw with its grip safety. On top of the clearance issue, the grip safety on the standard still feels stiff and in the way. So, if possible I would want the manufacturer to send the gun back to me with a grip safety from another manufacture
Old 05-23-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkrpm View Post
Another angle of the slide
I have not seen any 1911 so poorly finished as the at one.
The rub surface at the bottom of the slide passes over the
hammer each and every time the fun is fired.
What does the hammer face look like?
It has probably been worn smooth.

Last edited by brickeyee; 05-23-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
I have not seen any 1911 so poorly finished as the at one.
The rub surface at the bottom of the slide passes over the
hammer each and every time the fun is fired.
What does the hammer face look like?
It has probably been worn smooth.
Look further up the post for photos. It didnít look like that when it was new. hammer face must be a harder material, it doesnít have much wear. Though the contact surface is a point. Hammer becomes a chisel, grip safety becomes the hammer at times on recoil. Grip safety and hammer have interference issues with the slide back, and grip safety not fully depressed.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:21 PM

All 1911 hammers will contact the grip safety (assuming it's in the hammer's path) eventually, on firing. I'll grant you, your cocked hammer is rather closer to the grip safety than I would like - it's a poor choice of components on the maker's part.

1911 hammers will rebound once or twice between the slide and grip safety as the slide moves rearward, and then settle down. For your hammer to impart marks like the ones on your slide, it would have to be rebounding at about 1000 Hz.

Those are chatter marks. See: chatter marks.

Here's your original photo, a bit of detail, and an enhanced version of same showing like chatter marks in the top of the ejector cut, where your hammer can't reach:
Attached Thumbnails
bs.jpeg   bs1.jpeg   bs2.jpeg  

Last edited by cleger; 05-26-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
All 1911 hammers will contact the grip safety (assuming it's in the hammer's path) eventually, on firing. I'll grant you, your cocked hammer is rather closer to the grip safety than I would like - it's a poor choice of components on the maker's part.

1911 hammers will rebound once or twice between the slide and grip safety as the slide moves rearward, and then settle down. For your hammer to impart marks like the ones on your slide, it would have to be rebounding at about 1000 Hz.

Those are chatter marks. See: chatter marks.

Here's your original photo, a bit of detail, and an enhanced version of same showing like chatter marks in the top of the ejector cut, where your hammer can't reach:
The hammer and grip safety make contact unless the grip safety is fully depressed, with the slide back.

Last edited by jtkrpm; 05-26-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
The hammer and grip safety make contact unless the grip safety is fully depressed, with the slide back.
When the gun is fired the hammer and grip safety will definitely contact. The hammer will slam back against the grip safety. The exact point of contact will depend on the particular hammer, grip safety, and the way the parts fit, but contact is guaranteed. Sometimes it is a point on the tip of the spur, sometimes at the root of the hammer. And the hammer will rebound into the slide multiple times as the slide cycles back and forth.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
When the gun is fired the hammer and grip safety will definitely contact. The hammer will slam back against the grip safety. The exact point of contact will depend on the particular hammer, grip safety, and the way the parts fit, but contact is guaranteed. Sometimes it is a point on the tip of the spur, sometimes at the root of the hammer. And the hammer will rebound into the slide multiple times as the slide cycles back and forth.
Hard contact. With the hammer riding on the slide, the grip safety can not be released all the way with out contacting the hammer. Hand, grip safety, hammer becomes chisel. My Ruger has ample clearance between the hammer and grip safety even with the grip safety fully released
Old 05-26-2020, 08:43 PM

Or something really weird, like a harmonic resonance like cleger mentioned. the obvious thing I can see though, is the insufficient grip safety to hammer clearance, and the pointed hammer to slide contact point
Old 05-26-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Hard contact. With the hammer riding on the slide, the grip safety can not be released all the way with out contacting the hammer. Hand, grip safety, hammer becomes chisel. My Ruger has ample clearance between the hammer and grip safety even with the grip safety fully released
Unless you're not actually holding the gun when the slide cycles (and therefore not holding the grip safety in), does it really matter?

And actually, that's not hard contact. Even if the gun somehow cycled without holding the grip safety in, it's just a vey small extra amount of spring force from the grip safety compared to the mainspring force already present on the hammer.

-
Old 05-26-2020, 10:00 PM

A lot happens, real fast.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
A lot happens, real fast.
Yes, but if you are referring to the 1000 Hz rebound rate mentioned by cleger, I am pretty sure that was not suggested as a possibility, but as an impossibility.

-
Old 05-26-2020, 10:53 PM

What we know for sure Somethings not right.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:49 PM

I haven't seen anything like that but would have to ask if it could be the bottom of your slide is just not well finished, like machine marks or just rough?
Old 05-27-2020, 07:45 AM

No. It was smooth when new. Though you can see that itís already starting, see the ďhammer bitesĒ? There are two around the 80 series safety area. This was new out of the box if I recall. Iím sure they test fire them.
Attached Thumbnails
89AA26D2-316B-490C-8109-4EBDBF2F93F1.jpeg  
Old 05-27-2020, 11:16 AM

I noticed it before but disregarded it - what's with that pronounced disconnector-width mark forward of the pocket? Do you know anything about that?

Could be that your slide was improperly heat-treated.