Anyone else hate cleaning their guns? - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 12:19 PM

Breakthrough Military Grade Solvent

Remove BCG and break it down, spray on Breakthrough military grade solvent, let sit a few minutes, wipe everything off, wiping removes 98% of the carbon. For carbon spots left if any, use a blue brush or green scotchbright kitchen pad.

Spray breakthrough in the upper receiver, let sit a few minutes, use a factory Springfield 1911 brush and scrub around the receiver, wipe it out, use swaps around the hard to reach areas and gas tube.

Use a drill with a chamber brush on the end of rod, spray breakthrough on the chamber brush, run the chamber brush around the chamber a few seconds with the drill, wrap a patch around the chamber brush and dry the chamber using the drill, takes around 3 patches. Just don't let all the liquid gunk run down the barrel.

Or use a piston AR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
While on the subject of cleaning ARs, does anyone have a good recommendation for a carbon cleaning tool? I've got the BONE tool but it doesn't seem to fit the components well or scrape off anything.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:55 PM

Cleaning the overall gun, no

Cleaning the barrel, yes....I believe it is a form of torture

I actually find it therapeutic to strip down a 1911 and clean it up

I nearly stopped cleaning barrels on everything, but do inspect them and may clean if it truly looks awful (usually the .22's) or I see any obstruction.
side note but after a couple years of this...no noticeable shift in accuracy by my hand, this includes my bolt 6.5, or .308 guns I shoot at distance. I may run a bore snake down the barrel before a session, but that's it
Old 05-31-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcindaswamp View Post
Or is it just me? Took my two EBís out today for a much needed range session. I love shooting, but there are a lot of things Iíd rather do than clean up after. Just part of owning fine 1911ís, I guess 😂

Depends on which gun. The pistols that break down into 4 or fewer pieces in 10 seconds donít bother me. Glocks, F&N, Bond, revolvers etc. I will run 100 rounds or so through them, mostly frangible nowadays (except 5.7), break them down clean them, and be done with the cleanup in 15 minutes or less.

I donít mind cleaning an AR except for the carbon build up within the BCG.

I hate cleaning my 1911 pistols so much I donít clean them until they get really really nasty or start acting funky, except for an occasional bore snake, and when I clean them it is an ordeal that seems to take forever because they are so nasty.

Cleaning my pump shotgun is not much fun either, but then I rarely shoot it, unless a snake or armadillo is lurking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2020, 01:30 PM

I just field strip, wipe off any soot, and put them back together.

I did clean a friend's Mk1 Ruger .22, though. It was at least 50 years old, and he'd had it for 35, and he'd never cleaned it... it had finally been gunked up until even the high pressure ammo would no longer cycle it. I used a small screwdriver and a pick to crack deposits out before I laid on the chemicals...
Old 05-31-2020, 02:45 PM

I enjoy cleaning guns. can sit and clean all day. 5 6 7 gun use at the range ill.come home and sit and clean them all.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2020, 09:44 PM

I used to like cleaning guns and was fairly meticulous about it. Not so much anymore. Now when I get home from shooting most of the time I'll just wipe down the outside and park it in the safe. Maybe I'll do a quick field strip, wipe the rails off and add a few drops of oil and call it good. Deep cleaning whenever the mood strikes me.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:55 PM

I don't mind it so much now that I've realized that I don't have to get them "Drill Sergeant" clean.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:20 AM

If I was the kind of guy who hired maids, butlers, cooks & various servants yes----- I'd have a Gun Cleaning Minion.

But I'm a cheapskate. So I clean them myself. However, only guns that will be getting stored long-term get the full treatment.

Guns that see regular use just get the gun version of the cheapie Express Car Wash. No Hot Wax or tire dressing!
Old 06-04-2020, 06:10 PM

I love cleaning my Pistols and Revolvers.

I find it very relaxing and therapeutic.

I also like the smell of Ballistol.

Please be aware that there is also a member named Tom R. He and I are two different Site Members.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:36 PM

This thread is amusing. You shoot your firearm, then clean it. What’s so hard about it? If you don’t like to clean them, then don’t shoot them. Why when I was your age, we had to clean our muskets in the rain, going up hill both ways. You young folks would complain if you were hung with a new rope.
Jeez...........

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 06-04-2020, 06:46 PM

I love cleaning my guns...

I consider cleaning guns part of this shooting hobby...

I clean my guns more than I shoot them... 😉
Old 06-04-2020, 07:04 PM

I donít mind 1911ís at all. I love them on the inside as much as the outside.

Cleaning the Marlin 1895, not so much. Can be tedious to get the nooks and crannies, doesnít take much for a blued gun to rust. Bought some barricade and rig to try out.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl954 View Post
I donít mind cleaning my 1911s, but revolvers are another story, especially stainless ones. Itís a pain getting the powder rings off the cylinder!
It's called character
Old 06-05-2020, 12:43 AM
Banned

I think it might be kind of an age thing. I used to love cleaning my guns. Enjoyed taking them apart, feeling the fit and finish. And I used to make my living selling guns, so I needed to be both familiar and quick about both disassembly and assembly. I enjoyed the challenge of knowing how to do that with dozens different types of guns.

Now I dread having to clean them. Not if I only have 1 to clean, but that seems to never be the case. Usually it is a couple of long guns and 2 or 3 handguns. And if it something I haven't shot in a long while (which happens a lot), I'm lucky if I can even remember how to take it apart and put it back together. But I do attribute it mostly to getting old - where everything starts to hurt a lot more than it used to.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:48 AM

When it was one pride and joy it was a pleasure.

Now I'm content with a quick and dirty bore snake what have you to give me confidence it will keep it going.

I do have a moderate sized ultrasonic for lengths up to MSR short uppers and lowers. Otherwise I'd be annoyed much of the time.

Like race cars the thought that I'm making something better keeps me going. The thought that I'm fighting a losing battle with entropy makes me mad.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:43 AM

I like cleaning them.

But I always lose track of the count when cleaning revolver chambers. I end up having to clean "6 shooters" as if they were "12 shooters".

-
Old 06-05-2020, 12:30 PM

A hose down and overnight sit soaked with Kroil.

Followed by a blow out with compressed air the next day. This will do it on any gun.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mr. markwell asked me to post these pictures and short description for him since he's out in the prairie hunting and probably getting his Wilson stuck in mud and dirt.

His words: Gun still ran with plenty of lube.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Absolutely AWESOME Ricky, thanks for posting and give our regards for happy hunting to Mr. Markwell.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 06-05-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
His words: Gun still ran with plenty of lube.
Thanks for sharing.

So many folks seem to focus on the cleaning part and then under-lube their guns. As shown in the picture, they'll work just fine dirty, but you've got to lube them.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:42 PM

That is remarkable!
Old 06-05-2020, 07:52 PM

When I do a complete disassembly I wash everything with the USGI RIFLE BORE CLEANER.
Then I lube the rails and barrel with moly. If I use oil it’s the USGI LIGHT WEAPONS OIL.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......