Noise Level - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 03:40 PM

Noise Level

For indoors noise level is especially important.
anyone have an idea as to the noise level of a .357 3inch vs a Makarov?
Thanks, Jerry
Proverbs 14:34 *śRighteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:55 PM

Makarov rounds are typically quite loud.

Maybe not as bad as your run of the mill.357 mag round, but quite loud. I shot a round out of my Makarov without hearing protection once. I will not do that again.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:16 PM

Loud enough to damage your hearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 07:19 PM
Administrator

I always double up on hearing protection (plugs & muffs) when shooting indoors. Not so much because of my own firearms, but because some dingus always shows up with a 7.62 shorty M1A with a muzzle break while I'm there.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:30 AM

If you are really concerned about noise level-learn to love the .44 Spl and .45 Colt. Lowest pressure centerfire rounds. A .45 COLT round has about 10 less decibels sound energy than a .357 mag. Does not sound like much-but sound energy Doubles with every 3 dbl. increase.

https://pulsarinstruments.com/en/pos...nding-3db-rule.

Some of you know I negligently fired a .44 Spl in my house. No ear ringing, not even any ear pain. Just a sort of loud noise. OTOH, I once experienced a .44 mag fired close by with one ear protection muff partly off on an indoor range-bad news. Really. (I now always use plugs and muffs.) Incidentally, the best plugs bar none are Skullcaps. Available on Amazon.

Last edited by Oldguy9; 05-21-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:51 AM

If you have an Smart-phone there are Noise measuring apps. You can measure the noise level.

Our USPSA Open shooters are the loudest by far. But rifle calibers aren't allowed indoors!

I use "Sound Meter"!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 05-21-2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Synax
Old 05-21-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I always double up on hearing protection (plugs & muffs) when shooting indoors. Not so much because of my own firearms, but because some dingus always shows up with a 7.62 shorty M1A with a muzzle break while I'm there.
I got a giggle out of this. I have a .300 WBY Mag that's got a brake installed. It tends to turn heads once you touch a round off. Made the mistake of shooting that thing outside without hearing protection once so I would know what it would be like in the field. I will never do so again. I was certain the ringing of tinnitus was going to be permanent.

As for the topic at hand, I might suggest doubling up on hearing protection for larger rounds like that.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:57 AM

Actually you can go even lower with .455 Eley.

[QUOTE=Oldguy9;13161442]If you are really concerned about noise level-learn to love the .44 Spl and .45 Colt. Lowest pressure centerfire rounds. A .45 COLT round has about 10 less decibels sound energy than a .357 mag. Does not sound like much-but sound energy Doubles with every 3 dbl. increase.

https://pulsarinstruments.com/en/pos...nding-3db-rule.

I am only running a 262 grain slug at 630 FPS out of my Colt new service revolvers. I do not make a habit out of it. But I shoot them without hearing protection once in a while. Not that bad really.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:45 AM

I think a person should wear hearing protection when shooting anything but an air rifle. Most will damage your hearing.