Scumbag cased my truck last nite. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-19-2020, 11:47 AM

Scumbag cased my truck last nite.

My security camera caught a creep approaching my truck, in my driveway, last night at 2:37 AM.

As luck would have it, I had to turn off my Phone Alerts because of strong winds, which make tree branches set off the motion detector every few minutes.

But when I reviewed the various events this morning I saw footage of a creep sneaking up to my truck & peering inside with a flashlight.

Door was locked, of course, & no valuables were visible inside so he moved on.

Plus, had I seen this in real time, then what? Call cops & wait? Go out there, armed, & confront him? Maybe getting shot by his driver/lookout?-------- There's no easy answer.

#$%&*!!!! scumbags!
Old 05-19-2020, 12:21 PM

With thirty million people just put out of work.

I expect things will get worse before they get better. My wife and I have taken to locking the gate even when we are here now. If things get really bad, I will just start putting food out for the bears again. You might think about getting some rubber ball shotgun slugs, if you can even get them in the Golden state. They work pretty well for bears.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:06 PM

In CA your truck has nothing in it worth fighting for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 01:11 PM

Why was it outside?
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 05-19-2020, 01:12 PM

Up your insurance and toss an old laptop in there along with a badger.
I think badgers are still legal here.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:28 PM

MM, it would probably be good to alert the local cops and give them your video. They guy was also trespassing, so you have that as a reason for getting the police involved. I'll bet there has been a rash of car break-ins in your area and your video may help.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Plus, had I seen this in real time, then what? Call cops & wait? Go out there, armed, & confront him? Maybe getting shot by his driver/lookout?-------- There's no easy answer.

#$%&*!!!! scumbags!
Use your electronic key FOB and hit the horn/alert/panic button. That is of course your car is a later model and you keep fresh batteries in your Key FOB. I have three vehicles and I have three security cameras pointed at each vehicle. I have had 2 break ins on my F250 truck. It cost about $200 to $400 each time and it was under the deductible. Then I set up the cameras after the last break in around 2012.

Anyhow, I test the FOBs from inside the house every few months to make sure the signals reach the car and set off the horn. Batteries are cheap.

Never had the need to use it because I have the cars well lite with motion detector floodlamps that dim and go bright on motion, a visible camera pointed straight at the vehicles with a nice red led so they know its on, and I bought these cheesy flashing light thingy that plugs into the cigarette lighter that looks like a car alarm. All three vehicles came from the factory with "anti-theft protection" but most burglars know how to bypass the factory alarms.

No one has creeped around my cars for the past 9 years.

But I can assure you if someone is sneaking around your car at night and you hit that FOB panic button... those creeps will skadoodle out of there fast and you will never have to call the cops or go outside and chase them with your gun. It is the safest way both legally safe and life-saving way to chase away a car prowler.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:39 PM

Striker2237------------ It was outside because the more valuable cars are inside.

borderboss1 ---------- Yep, I already sent the footage to the local PD & made a phone report.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:01 PM

Here's a still of the punka*** bitc*** standing at the door of my Tacoma
Attached Thumbnails
CreeeeeeeeeeeeeP!!!.png  
Old 05-19-2020, 03:02 PM

That is the glow of his flashlight. Or maybe an iphone.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:23 PM

A deterrent is to put in motion detector lights that'll go on if someone approaches. The lady down the street got video of someone approaching her car from the side of the house and they ran away when the lights came on.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:40 PM

Lay a friggin bear trap down by your drivers door.
He’ll be there in the morning after you get a nice nights sleep.
COTEP#782
Old 05-19-2020, 03:58 PM

Dunno if you're broward county but BSO snagged 3 perps monday morning. Mother and her two kids, apparently. wow.

They'd been doing this for a good long while now, and finally got caught.
-----------------------^--------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 05-19-2020, 04:13 PM

Yep things are getting crazy out there!

We are even seeing piracy attacks in our own back yard now!

https://msi.nga.mil/api/publications....pdf&type=view
Old 05-19-2020, 04:58 PM

Unleash the Pit Bull!
Old 05-19-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Striker2237------------ It was outside because the more valuable cars are inside.

borderboss1 ---------- Yep, I already sent the footage to the local PD & made a phone report.
Ah that makes sense, I kinda figured as much but was just asking since I try to have garages for everything. I leave my Jeep outside since there is nothing in it and I don't really care if they break the glass since it's so cheap to get replacements
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 05-19-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Why was it outside?
Not everyone is well off and have a McMansion with a garage big enough to put all of their vehicles inside......

Sheesh, some people !

Last edited by Steam Boat; 05-19-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Out View Post
A deterrent is to put in motion detector lights that'll go on if someone approaches. The lady down the street got video of someone approaching her car from the side of the house and they ran away when the lights came on.
This was addressed in the original post.......
Old 05-19-2020, 07:10 PM

My car sits in my garage every night. But I got to thinking, if I were going to break into my house, I'd come in thru the garage door, which has glass near the knob. What's disturbing about that is that my loaded DW ECO 9mm is in my car's center console. So now, each night, I lock my car INSIDE my garage, and I lock the door between the garage and the kitchen. On the night stand is my Beretta PX4 loaded with 18 rounds of HST and a Streamlight TLR-4 light/laser.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:20 PM

If you haven't already done so, your best bet is to forward the video to your local PD. Even if your camera wasn't able to capture a good facial image, the LEO's will at least have your incident documented.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:41 PM

There is an easy answer. Call the cops and wait. It's just stuff...albeit a vehicle. And it's stuff that I'm betting is insured between your car insurance and your house insurance. It's not worth either getting hurt/shot over or shooting someone over and then having to deal with the legal ramifications of that.

Alternatively you could yell out a window, "get away from my truck you A-Hole." That will likely at least stop him from breaking in but he'll be long gone before the cops get there. However, you get to keep your stuff and nobody gets hurt.

You could also maybe get a "yard enforcer" and set it up to go off if anyone approaches your truck. Just a thought.

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62100-A.../dp/B009F1R0GC
Old 05-20-2020, 12:08 AM

I'd just get insurance and let him have a Toyota.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1racefan View Post
My car sits in my garage every night. But I got to thinking, if I were going to break into my house, I'd come in thru the garage door, which has glass near the knob. What's disturbing about that is that my loaded DW ECO 9mm is in my car's center console. So now, each night, I lock my car INSIDE my garage, and I lock the door between the garage and the kitchen. On the night stand is my Beretta PX4 loaded with 18 rounds of HST and a Streamlight TLR-4 light/laser.
Still might want to bring it inside, I never leave cars unlocked but would still not trust it in the garage since it's very feasible you won't be able to hear someone breaking in at least in my case.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:55 AM

MM. It looks like you need more light even. Leave a light on over the garage doors 24/7/365. Invest in a motion floodlight; even perhaps the “Ring” floodlight ($180).
Old 05-20-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Still might want to bring it inside, I never leave cars unlocked but would still not trust it in the garage since it's very feasible you won't be able to hear someone breaking in at least in my case.
I don't really sweat someone breaking into the garage. If they want a car that badly to make that much noise, go for it. My bedroom is right over the garage, so they'll be full of holes before they get the cars running and out.

There's a deadbolt on the door from the garage to the house, and the door opening towards the garage, so kicking it won't do much. Again, by the time they're done trying, they're going to be pretty much done.