Long slide 1911 - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 05-17-2020, 09:53 AM
TRX302 TRX302 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ope135 View Post
James Cann in Thief (1981) holding down on a mob guy with a Jim Hoag custom made longslide.
Like Clark, Hoag did it the hard way, by cutting and welding 5" slides.

Hoag also built some *really* long slides; 8" and 11". I remember something about a 14" gun he built to prove some kind of point, that was featured in a magazine later, but I'm not finding anything about it on the web.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-17-2020, 10:29 AM
1911_Bandit 1911_Bandit is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX302 View Post
Like Clark, Hoag did it the hard way, by cutting and welding 5" slides.

Hoag also built some *really* long slides; 8" and 11". I remember something about a 14" gun he built to prove some kind of point, that was featured in a magazine later, but I'm not finding anything about it on the web.
Here is his 12" longslide he built to 'prove a point'
http://looserounds.com/2020/04/03/jim-hoag-long-slides/
__________________
No pulse, no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-17-2020, 07:38 PM
partsproduction partsproduction is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,225
They say the 10 MM life expectancy is about half of what a .45 is, but I've been thinking with the extra weight of a longer slide if the 10 MM pistol may have a much longer life. I'm set to assemble one soon and wish I'd known about the Fusion 7" slide, though waiting over a year is out of the question.
__________________
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure, when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?"
—Thomas Jefferson
Hardened 416 stainless guide rods for Colt Mustangs, &
416 stainless Sig P-238 & P938 triggers
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-17-2020, 07:43 PM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
They say the 10 MM life expectancy is about half of what a .45 is, but I've been thinking with the extra weight of a longer slide if the 10 MM pistol may have a much longer life. I'm set to assemble one soon and wish I'd known about the Fusion 7" slide, though waiting over a year is out of the question.
I'm at over 55k on a 4 inch .45 that sees a lot of +P and some super, it won't be an issue for a well made gun.
__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-22-2020, 01:57 AM
partsproduction partsproduction is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,225
Stryker, I was speculating on the long term wear difference potential between a standard 5" 10 MM and a 6" one due to slide velocity differences. It seems to me that beyond a certain length it would become problematic even getting a 1911 to run right.
__________________
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure, when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?"
—Thomas Jefferson
Hardened 416 stainless guide rods for Colt Mustangs, &
416 stainless Sig P-238 & P938 triggers
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 PM
mkk41 mkk41 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,343
The talk of long-slide 1911s always brings back memories of my early AMT Long-Side Hardballer. The early guns weren't too bad , once ya polished and lapped away the heavy sand-blasting on the critical mating surfaces. Add a custom barrel and good fire control parts and it was a good gun . Sold it to someone who saw the first Terminator movie and just had to have it.
__________________
Beware of counterfeits and patent infringments!~ Col. Sam'l Colt
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-22-2020, 07:32 PM
Rosco Shooter Rosco Shooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Michigan Woods
Age: 76
Posts: 192
I own four Kimbers, three full size, and an Ultra Carry. Never an issue with any of them.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-23-2020, 08:03 AM
etwmsjr etwmsjr is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
The talk of long-slide 1911s always brings back memories of my early AMT Long-Side Hardballer. The early guns weren't too bad , once ya polished and lapped away the heavy sand-blasting on the critical mating surfaces. Add a custom barrel and good fire control parts and it was a good gun . Sold it to someone who saw the first Terminator movie and just had to have it.
The IAI Javelina 10mm. The successor to the Hardballer and the Company also!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-23-2020, 08:43 PM
AVG AVG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 558
i am a Sig guy but bought a Kimber 1911 6" 45acp three years ago the gun shoots great.
Here is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010261.JPG  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved