AR Pistol Sights? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-13-2020, 05:31 PM

We have had the older Primary Ams MD-ADS on my wifes 10.5" sig braced AR pistol for about 6 years . The started to run battery test but changed it 2 years on the stock battery still running well . Flip up sights that co-witness in bottom 1/3rd and a small laser light on it too .
Old 05-14-2020, 06:21 AM

I just saw some new offset sights from XS that look great for using on a AR pistol too. The new sights don't show up on their company website at the moment though. But XS has some other AR sights that look quite promising as well. The new XS Offset Sights are expensive though. but they are made in the USA and not China like usual.

ref https://www.xssights.com/Default.aspx

ref https://www.ammoland.com/2020/05/xs-...5-iron-sights/

Old 05-14-2020, 05:44 PM

Those sights look interesting. Thanx for posting the links.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:43 AM

Adding another pic to the thread. .223 Wylde, 7.5 inch barrel.

My minimalistic like AR pistol:
Attached Thumbnails
AR_15_pistol_14.jpg  
Old 05-16-2020, 06:40 PM
Administrator

I will not use an optic on a firearm without having backup iron sights as well. Too many times I have picked up my home defense weapon and checked it out, only to find the battery was dead in either the optic or light. I don't know why, but I seem to go through batteries like crap through a goose. As a result I do not trust them in a defense firearm.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:59 PM

I feel that way with my cheaper red dot sights. But these newer ones typically have a 2,000 hour or longer battery life. Some of them turn on when you move the gun and turn off when it doesn't move for a while. Anyway, when off they draw almost nothing for power and the battery seemingly lasts for a couple three years.Do check for battery life when you get a red dot sight. Now then some sights have a real on off switch too. Thus there is no battery drain when off.

But yes it pays to check the battery from time to time.

I plan on getting a set of the XS brand sights for mine soon though. I really wanted a set of sights that work like the ones on regular handguns. But for a long time no one made any.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:39 PM

If I were looking for an optic on a pistol, I would look for one with the least parallax at shorter distances

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/201...ight-parallax/

I would imagine a pistol would be for shorter distance use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 05:51 PM

My Aimpoint came in the mail yesterday and I was reading the accompanying instructions today. I was kicking around the idea of mounting it but decided to wait until I had put some sights on the pistol. I ordered sights today so I should have them soon. Then it will be a light and a sling. I have checked out all the lights mentioned in this thread but I am leaning towards a Streamlight TLR-8A. My hand is going to be right by the switch and it should be easy to turn the light on and off. I want a sling as I can see circumstances where I will be carrying more than just the AR.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:14 PM

These are the only sights I have on my pistol turned SBR. Rear sight always has the big aperture up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0052 copy.jpg  

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 05-17-2020, 07:15 PM

Lightbulb

Not an AR, but the 5.56 pistol concept applies. 10" bbld. Bren 805 pistol.

The factory low mount CZ sights did nothing for me, and as I've been running Troy buis since 2008, I stuck with 'em here.

Troy T-1 at absolute co-witness height, and an InForce WML Gen.2 for a light.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:10 PM

^^^^ Nice ^^^^
Old 05-22-2020, 09:19 AM

Nod, if you lay the gun on your nightstand at night for home defense, then I'd remove the sling before bed. If the ship goes down at 3am, you don't want to be grabbing the rifle and have the sling catch on to your lamp or whatever. You want to make that process as potentially error free as possible.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
Nod, if you lay the gun on your nightstand at night for home defense, then I'd remove the sling before bed. If the ship goes down at 3am, you don't want to be grabbing the rifle and have the sling catch on to your lamp or whatever. You want to make that process as potentially error free as possible.
I am getting the sling so if a situation arises I can carry the AR and carry a pistol at the same time. At home and on the range I don't keep a sling on it. I also have a sling for my rifle and am waiting for a sling for my shotgun. The only sling I leave on a rifle is my 30-30.

I did get the sights for my pistol today. I am going to put them on this weekend after I figure out what color thread locker to use on them. I have blue thread locker but I think I know red thread locker takes more heat to release.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:01 PM

I usually install these on my sights..
www.blitzkriegcomponents.com