Just coming Out: Broward Sheriff Shot and Killed a Man when he was 14 Years Old - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-04-2020, 02:08 PM

Just coming Out: Broward Sheriff Shot and Killed a Man when he was 14 Years Old

Sheriff Tony is the person that replaced Sheriff Israel a couple of years ago when Scott Israel was removed from office.

Well, now that elections are coming around the corner for the Sheriff, a piece of background information surfaced that when Gregory Tony was a 14 year old kid living in Philadelphia, he shot and killed an 18 year old in what was a self-defense shooting.

The records were sealed under the Juvenile laws in Pennsylvania, but the shooting was declared to be "self-defense" because an armed 18 year old man threaten Tony and his brother with a gun and Tony grabbed his father's gun and shot the man dead. Somehow just now, the incident came to the surface.

Anyhow, I found this to be of interest to us here who take self-defense shootings seriously. Why... because the gun haters are trying to disqualify Tony and are bitching that he never disclosed this to Governor DeSantis at the time he was being interviewed for his job.

It's an interesting case, because it shows that even if you are cleared in a shooting, and are involved in a justified homicide... your opponents may try to raise that issue against you later in life, even if it is 100% justified.

Anyhow, I am glad this came out and I hope that if he gets elected and stays in office that this experience will lend a favorable opinion on self-defense shootings in Broward county. It would be hypocritical of him to deny that right of self-defense against Broward residents if they should ever be in a similar situation. He is a democrat, but in reality there isn't a ghost of a chance that a republican sheriff will ever get elected in this county where it is 70% registered democrats.

But the leftist media circus is now attacking him as being unfit for office because he killed a person as a young teen and for his failure to disclose the incident to the governor or the public.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/brow...when-he-was-14

Quote:
"The juvenile authorities reviewed my actions and cleared my name," Tony said in a statement to the Florida Bulldog. "This was the most difficult and painful experience of my life and I have never spoken of it publicly. I worked every day from that time forward to leave the violence that surrounded me in Philadelphia behind."
and

Quote:
"But the reality is, in an application process, when you're coming in for an employment, one, it doesn't require you to bring it up, and two, I don't want to be some 14-year-old black kid who survived a shooting. I don't want to be someone's victim."

Tony told St. Petersburg-based Florida Politics that he didn't tell DeSantis about the fatal shooting either.

Last edited by PolymerMan; 05-04-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Politics 101. Did into your opponent's personal history, and when you find out they once refused to take their grouchy, elderly neighbor's garbage to the curb paint them as an evil person who doesn't care about senior citizens. I agree that a justified shooting shouldn't be anyone else's business, but they'll tar and feather you for anything these days.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:45 PM

Yup. Politics make prostitution seem like a respectable profession.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2020, 02:47 PM

Good shot.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:01 PM

He may have shot in self-defense then, but I wonder what the good sheriff's stance is on gun-control and the 2nd Amendment *today*.

I couldn't care any less that he once had to exercise the 2A when he was a kid. Good for him.

Is he in favor of *US* doing the same? Google searching has proved useless in answering that question.

If he isn't pro 2-A, he shouldn't be a cop, let alone sheriff. Full stop.

This smacks of a hit piece by ex-sheriff Israel, who wants the job back.
-----------------------^--------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 05-04-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
He may have shot in self-defense then, but I wonder what the good sheriff's stance is on gun-control and the 2nd Amendment *today*.

I couldn't care any less that he once had to exercise the 2A when he was a kid. Good for him.

Is he in favor of *US* doing the same? Google searching has proved useless in answering that question.

If he isn't pro 2-A, he shouldn't be a cop, let alone sheriff. Full stop.

This smacks of a hit piece by ex-sheriff Israel, who wants the job back.
Precisely. Unfortunately he is a Democrat and has indicated that he is just as anti-2nd amendment as the other clowns in that circus. In fact, not too long ago Former Sheriff Israel and Sheriff Tony were squaring off in the media as to whom is more "Democratic" because both had at various times switched parties between GOP and DNC for political gains.

I certainly hope he takes his own experience with self-defense as a private citizen and a juvenile and makes a cognitive effort to represent the right of people to own guns for self-defense, otherwise he is a true hypocrite in the same spirit of all Democrats we know.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
But the leftist media circus is now attacking him as being unfit for office because he killed a person as a young teen and for his failure to disclose the incident to the governor or the public.
They're attacking a black man? They're a bunch of racists! Seems like a good shoot to me.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:16 PM

I can't speak for Pennsylvania juvenile laws. But in most states, your juvenile records are sealed. In the late 70s, I worked as a juvenile probation officer for the State of Louisiana. A juvenile committing a crime that would be considered a felony. Would not lose his rights to own a firearm, once he became an adult.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:55 PM

If he is anti gun I hope he is hoisted by his own petard.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Administrator

So I take it he's the latest nominee for the Carl Rowan award?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_R...ng_controversy
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:06 PM

Y'all can file this under PO for Personal Opinion, but stuff like this should be purged from the "Records".

If you've served your entire sentence, including parole period, then your "Debt To Society" has been "Paid In Full" and that should be the end of it.

Otherwise, you should still be in Jail or Prison.

This was an instance that the "Official Records" should've been purged decades ago and should no longer apply to this person.

As for a "Juvenile Record"? If America is going to continue to treat those under 18 as not being adults, then any "Juvenile Record" should be totally expunged when they turn 21.

If it's serious enough to follow them after 21, then they should still be in prison.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
Y'all can file this under PO for Personal Opinion, but stuff like this should be purged from the "Records".

If you've served your entire sentence, including parole period, then your "Debt To Society" has been "Paid In Full" and that should be the end of it.

This was an instance that the "Official Records" should've been purged decades ago and should no longer apply to this person.

As for a "Juvenile Record"? If America is going to continue to treat those under 18 as not being adults, then any "Juvenile Record" should be totally expunged when they turn 21.

If it's serious enough to follow them after 21, then they should still be in prison.
Different states have different rules for "expunging" juvie records. This is the kind of stuff that should have been.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-04-2020, 07:22 PM

Why would he be under any obligation to disclose that to the Governor ?
Old 05-04-2020, 07:26 PM

Is the shooting the problem? Or is it just that it wasn't disclosed (if required)

Because the shooting itself seems to be a non-issue.

As a Realtor I must disclose if my company is related to the escrow or title company. Now nobody really cares. Nobody has ever given a poop about signing that document.

However, if my company DOES have an interest in the escrow co. & I did not disclose that fact, I'm in big trouble.

As for the guy shooting a creep, fine. Good job. But if he's required to disclose this & he failed to do so, he's fair game for criticism.

Someone in his profession should know. He's not a dentist.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Is the shooting the problem? Or is it just that it wasn't disclosed (if required)

Because the shooting itself seems to be a non-issue.

As a Realtor I must disclose if my company is related to the escrow or title company. Now nobody really cares. Nobody has ever given a poop about signing that document.

However, if my company DOES have an interest in the escrow co. & I did not disclose that fact, I'm in big trouble.

As for the guy shooting a creep, fine. Good job. But if he's required to disclose this & he failed to do so, he's fair game for criticism.

Someone in his profession should know. He's not a dentist.
This really goes back to "expungement" records requirement of the various states. If not required, then it would certainly be prudent to disclose it; if required - what the heck went wrong with the legal process which should have expunged it; incompetence or holes in the system? That makes one wonder about ALL other legal processes that should be followed that aren't.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-04-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post

Actually the official juvenile records are unobtainable. The story broke because there was a Philadelphia newspaper article about the shooting, plus the sister of the dead man has come out and spoken about the death.

Plus the news article of the day state that Tony and his brother were friends with the dead man. Lots of discrepancies are now surfacing. Tony said that he shot the guy inside the house but he was shot in the street according to the article and a police report that was located.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...e-kept-secret/
Quote:
Tony said he and his brother left his home, afraid that “gang members” would come after them. Tony surrendered the following day at the Philadelphia Police Administrative Building. Two days later, the Philadelphia Daily News and Philadelphia Inquirer both reported that Tony was charged initially with homicide as an adult and held without bond, but ultimately adjudicated as a juvenile, according to Florida Bulldog.

But news accounts of the shooting conflict with Tony’s memory.

The Daily News and Inquirer reported that Tony and Rodriguez were friends, or at least friendly. Citing Rodriguez’s mother, the Daily News said an off-color joke about Tony’s family may have sparked the shooting. The paper also quoted Tony’s father, identified as William Scott, saying he’d seen the boys laughing and talking and didn’t learn until an hour later that his son had pulled the trigger.
Clipping from story:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/po...lfq-story.html

Last edited by PolymerMan; 05-04-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:33 PM

News articles are routinely full of crap.

I would want to know who leaked the information from a supposedly-sealed record?

Tom
1918 Colt
Old 05-04-2020, 09:43 PM

You can't seal a newspaper article.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
News articles are routinely full of crap.

I would want to know who leaked the information from a supposedly-sealed record?

Tom
I think that when you are a public figure, the past somehow can easily come back to haunt you because people will remember the name, especially if there is a homicide (justified or not) involved. There are 11 challengers for the office of Broward Sheriff, and these guys are all veteran law enforcement. I would imagine if just one is determined enough, they can trace back a person's hometown, talk to old friends, search newspaper articles, maybe dig up public records. If they have a vested interest in digging up dirt and they know how to do it, they will. A (justified) homicide isn't easy to hide forever. The fact no one knew about this is more of a mystery. He passed FBI, FDLE, and county background check and there was not a hint of this.

These challengers for the sheriff's office are veteran cops... they know how to investigate. Their profession carries weight if they go nosing around old friends and enemies.

Anyhow, this story is on full time now here in South Florida, each and every news station opens up now with this story front and center and they are constantly coming up with more material like the Philadelphia news story that printed at the time. They are now also discovering he wrote bad checks not too long ago.

But... the Juvenile court proceedings have not surfaced and very likely never will... this was all done by word of mouth investigation. The sister of the dead man, who was a convicted drug dealer, spoke about it... but even she was unaware that Gregory Tony was a Sheriff in Florida. She learned of that just recently when she was contacted.

Stay tune... this is a big story here and it looks like it could cost him the election. As a Broward resident, I much prefer, Tony over Israel. But hopefully we get a fresh face in the office with no baggage. The thing that is hurting his chances is that we had the Parkland Shooting which involved troubled juveniles and young adults with guns. And now we discover, that Sheriff Tony was one of these types of youths... a kid with a gun who killed another teen. Justified or not, it makes people here feel like they got duped.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
A (justified) homicide isn't easy to hide forever. The fact no one knew about this is more of a mystery. He passed FBI, FDLE, and county background check and there was not a hint of this.

Passing the background check would be the easy part with sealed Juvenile records.

In Florida there's also a lot of questions and answers at hire/application time that require you to reveal any arrest in your background. Regardless of outcome if you fail to disclose it and it comes to light at a later date, its grounds for termination. And you then go thru a lie detector (polygraph or Voice stress analysis) test that challenges many of your answers. He's a pretty good lier to have made it thru the process with that kind of baggage. At least today, perhaps he's been in Florida longer than they have been doing the Lie detector testing.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:14 AM

Yes, I think the failure to disclose was the problem. Not the shooting.

But now that the failure to disclose has come to light, the shooting (which earlier was in Case Closed status) is now going to be called into question, again.

A re-hash / second guessing by the press and political opponents, not the courts.

This was was going to come out sooner or later. I guess he was hoping that he would already be in office by then.

Reminds me of a guy I know who paid off some bimbos.

There is an old Asian saying: "Paper cannot hold fire" which, to me, is a much better than the Western "the truth will out"
Old 05-07-2020, 07:10 AM

thanks for posting this.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:14 PM

I am going a little off left here, but based on these conditions where he didn't or did revel his past actions as a Child is tantamount to saying no Democrat ever served in Combat duty for the Military, and had to account for each person they were involved with either by Direct Combat (Boots On Ground infantry combat) or In Direct Combat (Artillery, Aircraft, Ship Broad fire).. Come to think of that, Didn't Bill C/Hillary run off to Canada at the time they were drafting for service..
Audious The Bell
Old 05-09-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Yes, I think the failure to disclose was the problem. Not the shooting.

But now that the failure to disclose has come to light, the shooting (which earlier was in Case Closed status) is now going to be called into question, again.

A re-hash / second guessing by the press and political opponents, not the courts.

This was was going to come out sooner or later. I guess he was hoping that he would already be in office by then.

Reminds me of a guy I know who paid off some bimbos.

There is an old Asian saying: "Paper cannot hold fire" which, to me, is a much better than the Western "the truth will out"
Apparently so. What he believed to be an off limit question because he was a juvenile (sealed records) and cleared of homicide may in fact be his misunderstanding of the legal need to disclosed.

More coming out, FDLE has now opened an investigation:

https://wsvn.com/news/local/fdle-lau...-gregory-tony/
Quote:
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement said they have launched a preliminary investigation into Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony.

The FDLE confirmed the investigation, Friday.

“A preliminary investigation involves research and gathering documents and/or information in response to an allegation or complaint,” the FDLE said. “Once obtained, the information and documents are evaluated by law enforcement investigators to determine if sufficient facts are established to believe there is a reasonable possibility that the accused individual is involved in definable criminal activity.”
It's a grey area in my humble non-lawyer opinion. I have heard lawyers tell me that if you were charged as a juvenile with a serious crime, got cleared via the juvenile justice system (innocent verdict or case dismissed for lack of evidence, etc) , and had the record sealed or expunged as a juvenile: you would never have to admit to the incident... never, ever. Just as if never happened... for employment, criminal background check etc, unless a court where the record was sealed or expunged reversed the order and ordered the juvenile records opened again. In fact, if anyone opens the record without court permission, and releases the documents, they could in fact be in violation of laws dealing with sealed juvenile record.

We'll have to see where this goes. BTW... former Sheriff Israel denies having anything to do with this incident coming out into the open, so does the Deputies' Union which has been very critical of Sheriff Tony.

Ahh... Broward county politics, what else can we expect!!!
Old 05-10-2020, 09:57 AM

"Sealed" doesn't seem to mean much any more, unless it's Obama's birth certificate...