Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpepper Cattle Co. View Post
You need to look up your state and local laws regarding private firearm sales and transfers -- anonymous forum legal advice is not...advised.
here-here
Old 04-22-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
Serious question, and I hope it's not too far off-topic. I live in a more free state (no waiting period, good CCW laws, working on Constitutional carry). When this virus thing first hit, I discussed this topic with an ex-girlfriend that I still care about.

Could I legally sell her a gun for $1.00, then buy it back for the same once she got her own or the pandemic scare is over?
You need to look up your state and local laws regarding private firearm sales and transfers -- anonymous forum legal advice is not...advised.
It's worth every penny spent on it.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:30 AM

Flintlock or percussion musket?

I was thinking wheel-lock or matchlock. Keep it simple.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 04-22-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Out View Post
I'd loan a family member a gun if they needed it too, but I'd insist we take it to the range and teach them how it functions, safety and how to maintain it as a condition. I'd also get them started on obtaining their own firearm.
I doubt that will be an option here, since most ranges are closed and especially in California.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Oh, I agree and would never take anything I read on a forum as gospel. I just wondered if anyone had done this or similar.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:55 AM

My local California gun store is closed with no re-opening in sight.

Cold turkey withdraw is not pleasant.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Love the cartoon. +1911

If there were another line, I'll guess it would go something like this:

"But 'President' Obama said I could".

(These folks still think/wish that Obama is President)
And she needs her girlfriend standing behind her.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2020, 12:44 PM

Wait, What, borrow someone a gun??? I thought only criminals disregarded and broke the gun laws. Now Iím reading here that law abiding citizens are doing it to. I guess youíre not a criminal unless you get caught. Gun owners that do stupid stuff make responsible gun owners look bad as well. Itís stupid stuff like this that fuels the fire for liberals to enact more gun laws and restrictions. Geez I thought we were better than that.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Oh come on man. Everyone on here is a lawyer, gunsmith, and retired seal team 6 operator.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Serious question, and I hope it's not too far off-topic. I live in a more free state (no waiting period, good CCW laws, working on Constitutional carry). When this virus thing first hit, I discussed this topic with an ex-girlfriend that I still care about.

Could I legally sell her a gun for $1.00, then buy it back for the same once she got her own or the pandemic scare is over?
I don't know what state you are in but in SC you could legally sale a gun to anyone who could legally buy one. That is what private sales are the buyer must be old enough and not be a criminal or mentally unstable.

I would have to trust her a good bit before I sold a gun for $1.00 because if she broke up with you then you could not legally get the gun back if she wanted to keep it.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:53 PM

I solve a lot of issues just by thinking about things for awhile.

I was the executor of my Mother's estate. Who got the guns was up to my discretion.

So I've decided it's Sis who gets the K98. Done deal.

Note on a few comments: Yes, I agree that a shotgun would be best but my 870 ain't going anywhere! It's the cannon for MY castle.

Also, YES, I agree her husband should man up and buy a gun of his own. But he's like Sis, didn't see a need until now. I get it. Most folks are like that to some extent, and not just on guns. But on stuff from roof maintenance, to dental insurance, AAA Memberships, and now..........FOOD!

And yes, range time would be smart (& fun!) but as mentioned by someone else here, they aren't close, or open. This will be a short visit.

Last edited by magazineman; 04-22-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeedaudio View Post
Wait, What, borrow someone a gun??? I thought only criminals disregarded and broke the gun laws. Now Iím reading here that law abiding citizens are doing it to. I guess youíre not a criminal unless you get caught. Gun owners that do stupid stuff make responsible gun owners look bad as well. Itís stupid stuff like this that fuels the fire for liberals to enact more gun laws and restrictions. Geez I thought we were better than that.
You are correct but sometimes it is the law that is stupid or overly restrictive and if one does not obey it then yes they are a criminal. That is why they continue to push more and more stupid restrictive laws. They want to reduce the number of law abiding gun owners by making it so hard and restrictive that no one wants to jump through the hoops to own one. If they continue to pass law after law it will come to the point that even owning certain rifles and handguns that are now legal will become illegal.

Personally I think there are gun owners who do stupid stuff and it does make us all look bad but I donít think loaning a gun to a family member is stupid it might be illegal in some states but not stupid. It would be completely legal in my state so I guess the majority of our legislature does not see a problem with it.

I see magman has it figured out good job.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC shooter View Post
...in SC you could legally sale a gun to anyone who could legally buy one. That is what private sales are the buyer must be old enough and not be a criminal or mentally unstable...
Anyone? Or anyone who, like the seller in your hypothetical, is also a proven, current resident of SC?
Old 04-22-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC shooter View Post
I don't know what state you are in but in SC you could legally sale a gun to anyone who could legally buy one. That is what private sales are the buyer must be old enough and not be a criminal or mentally unstable.

I would have to trust her a good bit before I sold a gun for $1.00 because if she broke up with you then you could not legally get the gun back if she wanted to keep it.
That's how it is here in Tennessee, also.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:56 PM

An 8mm bolt action for home defense......damn son.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 04-22-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, I agree and would never take anything I read on a forum as gospel. I just wondered if anyone had done this or similar.
In states where private firearms sales are not directly regulated in the form of having to conduct the sale through a third-party, licensed FFL who will conduct the NICS check, usually all it requires is that:

1) Both seller and buyer are current, legal residents of the same state, and

2) Neither is prohibited by Federal, state or local law from owning or possessing a firearm.

Burden is upon the seller to make a good faith effort to confirm items 1 and 2 are met; if you sell to someone who isn't a resident of the same state you are (while you are both physically in said state), or who for reasons of criminal convictions, drug use or mental health status is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm, you are now a criminal subject to serious legal ramifications that will turn you into a prohibited person going forward.

So worth making sure you're doing it right, if you're going to do it.

Most smart private sellers at minimum require seeing a current driver's license or state issued ID and either a voter registration card or -- better -- concealed weapons permit; some require a photocopy of them, and a simple bill of sale -- all in case they've sold to a prohibited person they can show a good faith effort on their part and perhaps avoid a conviction of their own.

And yes, folks do this all the time, often with but sometimes without much care or concern and everything goes fine. Also, Federal, state and local sting operations do sometimes lurk. Your call.

But to bring this full circle -- look up your state laws on private firearms sales.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Anyone? Or anyone who, like the seller in your hypothetical, is also a proven, current resident of SC?
Anyone who could legally buy one. That would have to be a state resident for a handgun. I have only sold a handful in private sales to people I know but private sales are legal here.

Last edited by SC shooter; 04-22-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Oh, in that case, didn't SHE already own it before 2014 and bought it under "cash and carry" since it was so old, and there is no record of anyone owning it either WHEN or WHERE?
Sounds like a perfectly fine explanation to me.
PROVE it differently or kick rocks occifer!
Old 04-22-2020, 04:19 PM

Striker2237. I agree that an 8mm rifle is not the most suitable home defense tool but there were two guns in the estate. This, and a .30 rinfire Pepperbox.

So Mauser it is.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post

I was the executor of my Mother's estate. Who got the guns was up to my discretion.

Note on a few comments: Yes, I agree that a shotgun would be best but my 870 ain't going anywhere! It's the cannon for MY castle.

Also, YES, I agree her husband should man up and buy a gun of his own. But he's like Sis, didn't see a need until now. I get it. Most folks are like that to some extent, and not just on guns. But on stuff from roof maintenance, to dental insurance, AAA Memberships, and now..........FOOD!

And yes, range time would be smart (& fun!) but as mentioned by someone else here, they aren't close, or open. This will be a short visit.
Are you required to turn in or keep any type of record of whom got what?
Seems rather loopholish and you would think someone would have shoved a cork in that hole by now....
Old 04-22-2020, 04:44 PM

K98... oh my.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:31 PM

You are going to do what you are going to do, legal or not, but reading this it looks like your delayed inheritance scheme won't cut the mustard with California:

"Note that this means 'Uncle Bob wanted me to have these' is not sufficient; Uncle Bob's wishes must have been in writing and specifically have named the recipients of his guns, or a court/probate action must have made that distribution."

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...and_Interstate
Old 04-22-2020, 06:16 PM

Sistema1927 ---------- The will spelled out who was to receive big-ticket items like the car, condo, saving accounts, etc. But small personal items, like guns, sewing machine, misc trinkets were not individually addressed.

Just was just some catch-all "to be divided at the discretion of the executor" type verbiage. Same with her very brief trust.

And this is the first time I've seen my sister in person after Mom's passing. It's straight line passing down. She also picked the base of an owl sculpture that ended up here, rather than with her owl. Again, because this was our first post-mortem visit.

Now could the The Authorities make a stink about the inter-family inheritance of a 100 year old long arm? I suppose. But I suspect that they have other priorities.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Striker2237. I agree that an 8mm rifle is not the most suitable home defense tool but there were two guns in the estate. This, and a .30 rinfire Pepperbox.

So Mauser it is.
Give her a handgun, it's far more useful for a novice than a 10lb manually operated extremely high recoil 20 inch barrel spear of a gun.

You gave her a gun that is harder in every way possible to use than a shotgun and I'm honestly concerned that it will be more of a hindrance and risk than even something like one of your older revolvers or even your lever guns. Or just something that is a self loading arm that allows more than one shot to be made by a user who is going to very have the shakes if she needs to use it due to total lack of training....you have a high power right? That's way easier to use defensively than a spear that also shoots
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 04-22-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Helping someone fix a roof or pay a dental bill is not illegal.

The problem is the people like your sister have voted time and time again for far left leaning politicians who make the laws you have to live with in California. She needs to understand and accept the consequences for her bad decision both voting and gun wise. The people she elected decided to keep Pot shops open while closing Gun shops. Since Pelosi couldnít get money in the Stimulus Bill to pay illegal immigrants California Governor Newsom is now going to pay illegal immigrants. Your sister will learn nothing if you borrow her a firearm. She most likely voted for Obama/Biden twice. Most likely will vote for Biden again. Biden Intends to appoint Beto as Gun Czar and he will be coming for your AR15 and AK47 and every other gun you have except for a double barrel shotgun. And next they will limit your purchase of shells to 2 per month.

You people in California get the laws you deserve for voting the way you do.
Closed Thread