Bug-out kit for a tiny car. - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-11-2020, 09:58 PM

Tiny Car? A Mini is freakin' HUGE!

Here's my Tiny Car: A foot shorter in length than a Mini (here it is by a Geo Metro)

Two + feet shorter in height.

1,300 Lbs lighter in weight. Four feet wide at the cockpit.

My Tiny Car Bug-Out Bag is a package of jerky.
Attached Thumbnails
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV.jpeg  
Old 04-12-2020, 04:42 AM

Im not bugging out, were staying put. I do have a place in the mountains but more survival is staying put.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 04-12-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post

Here's my Tiny Car: A foot shorter in length than a Mini (here it is by a Geo Metro)

Nice!
A Lotus Seven derivant? Westfield, Caterham, Dunkervoort or some such?

-Garth

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2020, 08:04 AM

Given the wheels, I wonder if that is a Seven kit based on a Miata.
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:06 PM

Drove the ALCan a few times, the huge frost heaves between Beaver Creek and White abuse trailers, seen quite a few abandoned trailers and even a boat minus the trailer. We did drive May 93 and very well may have seen your abounded trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Partially into the first day the tongue broke on the cheap trailer (dumb idea to begin with) along the Alaska/Canadian border in the middle of nowhere. It wasn't worth the time or expense to get it fixed out there. I ended up off loading as much as I could from the trailer. Pretty much repacked the bed of the truck until it was actually overweight I found out later. The rest of the stuff I culled and left in the trailer with a heavy heart and then I pulled the tags and vin plate of the trailer and gave it a kick and a cuss over the side of the mountain.
I actually did put up the tent one night up in the Yukon and we slept in it. It was colder and more uncomfortable that sleeping slumped over in the cab. I did that early in the trip and never took the tent out again. Not worth the trouble or the discomfort. That was in 1993.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:16 PM

Unfortunately many don't understand better chance of survival is staying put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
Im not bugging out, were staying put. I do have a place in the mountains but more survival is staying put.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
Drove the ALCan a few times, the huge frost heaves between Beaver Creek and White abuse trailers, seen quite a few abandoned trailers and even a boat minus the trailer. We did drive May 93 and very well may have seen your abounded trailer.
Is it bad that I miss it? Nah.

Originally went up from Ft. Bragg, NC in June 89 to Ft. Wainwright, with the first wife and son who was about 7 or 8 then. I drove a 1988 Jeep Comanche 2WD single cab with all three of us in it pulling an old 12 foot camper on a ball hitch. It was an odd one where the bolt went up into the ball from the bottom. Somewhere in Canada the bolt fell out, I heard and felt the clunk as the trailer tongue landed on the lift. The safety chains held and I dragged everything off to the side of the road. I followed the drag marks back and found the bolt. I tightened that thing back as hard as I could and reconnected. I checked it about every ten or twenty miles until I was sure it wasn't coming loose again. No worries there. I tried to take that ball off later to put a better one on. I could never get it loose again. Ah the adventures.

A beautiful drive though. From B.C. all the way to Fairbanks.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 04-14-2020, 11:46 AM

Mr_Garth / TominMO. There's no Miata on it. It's a '67 Lotus that has been heavily modified with all kinds of modern bits from Birkin, Caterham, Raceline, Quaife, and many other outfits. Not much authentic Lotus left in it!

Current engine is a 2.0 Zetec built by Raceline in the UK. Dyno's at 208 HP to the wheels at a 1200 lbs weight.

She goes pretty good! Funny thing, my house has a 3 car garage. But because one's the Seven & another of my cars is a hopped-up Midget, I actually have four cars squeezed in there.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:48 AM

Oh, and yes, those Kosei wheels are popular with Miata guys. Because they are cheap & light. I put those on after I crashed it & broke a rim.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
.... Funny thing, my house has a 3 car garage. But because one's the Seven & another of my cars is a hopped-up Midget, I actually have four cars squeezed in there.
I'm playing the same game. 6 cars and only a 3 car garage. I'm SERIOUSLY considering a couple of storage lifts.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:

A guy in the dorm in RAF Alconbury had a Super 7, a *real* Lotus (I know Caterham made 'em all, but this one was badged Lotus adn it was almost 30 years old) with a smoky Conventry four-banger (I think? may have been Rover)

Ii got to drive it. It was.. such insane fun, that car. MMmm . I had to fold myself in creative ways to get in it, but.. it was a *blast* Made my MGB feel like a cow. MGB was a lot of fun, too!

The guy that used to head the Mazda Rotary Development program had a Caterham with a 13b turbo rotary in it. or so I read. THink 500-600 hp in a 1400 pound car.

Head explode yet?

The deathometer where I'm at is not spinning like a top, like we were promised would happen. It's barely ticking over 1 a day..

People in California are tweeting "Tea in the Harbor" if the lockdowns don't end.

Heh. The irony, it is delicious...
-----------------------^--------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 04-14-2020, 04:45 PM

Well, haven't you guys ever seen Zombieland, Red Dawn etc....No body bugs out in a Mini Cooper. Either get something bigger, or wait till something bigger comes along.Lol
Old 04-14-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Mr_Garth / TominMO. There's no Miata on it. It's a '67 Lotus that has been heavily modified with all kinds of modern bits from Birkin, Caterham, Raceline, Quaife, and many other outfits. Not much authentic Lotus left in it!

Current engine is a 2.0 Zetec built by Raceline in the UK. Dyno's at 208 HP to the wheels at a 1200 lbs weight.

She goes pretty good! Funny thing, my house has a 3 car garage. But because one's the Seven & another of my cars is a hopped-up Midget, I actually have four cars squeezed in there.
Thanks for the info. Sevens are extremely cool.

Here are two pics for you.
Pic 1 is four cars in a short two-car garage. Click on it and you can just make out the one in the rear.
Pic 2 is my hope for the Democratic ticket in 2020.....just sayin'
Attached Thumbnails
4 Festys.JPG   weiner holder.jpg  
Old 04-15-2020, 10:54 AM

Old Grey Hare -------- Caterham did not make them all. Lotus did. Caterham was just Lotus's top-selling dealership.

Then in 1973 when the owner of Lotus, Colin Chapman, decided to quit the Seven to make other models, Caterham bought the rights to the design. And they still make them today.

Colin thought the 7 was done........... Nope! Not even close. I've had a Europa and an Elan 2+2. But to me the Seven is the purest of all of 'em.

But still a lousy Bug-Out car! I guess I'd take my '70 Bronco if I had to bail. But I think that in a true cataclysm, I'd stay put anyhow.

Bugging out seems like a poor choice to me.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:08 PM

Cool story. Come on back up!

You wouldn't recognize it any more. Alaska side is about the same, Beaver Creek has grown some. Still have the massive frost heaves. Kluane area has grown around it, Whitehorse is major city with 4 lanes, traffic jams, to Ft Nelson, long stretches of 90mph, smooth pavement. And we get passed and gapped like I hit brakes. From Ft Nelson to Dawson creek is civilized and Dawson Creek is like Edmonton now that is 4 lane from Dawson to Edmonton. Its still a long drive but its barely 2 days from Fairbanks to Dawson. Moms with 2 kids in their Ford Feista all long the highway, even BMWs, Mercedes, higher end cars blowing up the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Is it bad that I miss it? Nah.

Originally went up from Ft. Bragg, NC in June 89 to Ft. Wainwright, with the first wife and son who was about 7 or 8 then. I drove a 1988 Jeep Comanche 2WD single cab with all three of us in it pulling an old 12 foot camper on a ball hitch. It was an odd one where the bolt went up into the ball from the bottom. Somewhere in Canada the bolt fell out, I heard and felt the clunk as the trailer tongue landed on the lift. The safety chains held and I dragged everything off to the side of the road. I followed the drag marks back and found the bolt. I tightened that thing back as hard as I could and reconnected. I checked it about every ten or twenty miles until I was sure it wasn't coming loose again. No worries there. I tried to take that ball off later to put a better one on. I could never get it loose again. Ah the adventures.

A beautiful drive though. From B.C. all the way to Fairbanks.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Wow!. A 1967 Lotus. Albeit heavily modified. That's from Lotus' Formula 1 glory days, the Lotus 49, Jim Clark, etc. Thanks magazineman for sharing.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 04-18-2020, 07:42 PM

I remember when I was a teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Wow!. A 1967 Lotus. Albeit heavily modified. That's from Lotus' Formula 1 glory days, the Lotus 49, Jim Clark, etc. Thanks magazineman for sharing.
Working a summer job in a gas station. Back when we used to clean windshields, and check your oil. Some guy pulled in with one of those one day. I thought that the guy was a Martian or something. Strange accent, stranger car. Actually it was memorable, the guy gave me a big tip. Nobody ever tipped us.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Thanks for the info. Sevens are extremely cool.

Here are two pics for you.
Pic 1 is four cars in a short two-car garage. Click on it and you can just make out the one in the rear.
Pic 2 is my hope for the Democratic ticket in 2020.....just sayin'
Love pic #2 Here locally we had a good one . Linda Fish Oda for judge.

Was driving to the range years ago and saw the sign. Had to back up just to make sure I read it right. A week later they were all changed to just Linda Oda.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
Cool story. Come on back up!

You wouldn't recognize it any more. Alaska side is about the same, Beaver Creek has grown some. Still have the massive frost heaves. Kluane area has grown around it, Whitehorse is major city with 4 lanes, traffic jams, to Ft Nelson, long stretches of 90mph, smooth pavement. And we get passed and gapped like I hit brakes. From Ft Nelson to Dawson creek is civilized and Dawson Creek is like Edmonton now that is 4 lane from Dawson to Edmonton. Its still a long drive but its barely 2 days from Fairbanks to Dawson. Moms with 2 kids in their Ford Feista all long the highway, even BMWs, Mercedes, higher end cars blowing up the highway.
Wow! Sounds like it's getting downright civilized. Scary.

I remember getting so frustrated when we would get behind those convoys of motorhomes doing 40-45 MPH. four or five deep. No way I could pass them with my Comanche and the camper on it. Just had to grit and bear it.

I had a CB in the truck and on the whole way. Going through Alberta I heard a lot of that "... eh?" dialect. It took me all of B.C. and part of the Yukon to stop talking like that. Drove the wife nuts. "Think we should stop for lunch, EH? Look at that view, Eh."

The hard part on me coming back out was that I was used to just pulling over wherever to take a leak heat up an MRE, or sleep for the night. That was standard SOP in the interior and down through the Yukon and B.C.. When I got into Alberta it was all civilized and stuff. It was odd stopping at rest areas instead of just pulling off the road. I was ready to turn around and go back.

I do miss things up that way. My wife says she has not problem moving there. I just have to get a job and be able to support us. Ah well. At least I've been there and am have Sourdough status instead of Cheechako.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:37 AM

Here is a book I found educational about surviving the economic collapse in Argentina in 2001. It lays out what you need in a "shelter at home" crisis...one that envelopes and entire country. This seems to me a more likely case to happen in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Surviv.../dp/9870563457

Earthquakes in Los Angeles are probably the most logical thing we face. For that I have a "get home" bag in the car. A couple of bottles of water, dry shoes and socks, a pair of jeans, a shirt, a light sweater, a nylon wind breaker, a baseball hat, leather gloves, my pocket knife and my .45 1911 with 3 extra mags. The clothing is for if mine is damaged or wet or contaminated. Gloves, water, gun and knife are the absolute basics to get home. Our condo building has a large enclosed private parking lot. If the building is red tagged we can all camp out there with each other as mutual security. But the rule about not letting others know what you've got still applies.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:37 PM

I never read the book, but have read articles written by the author. He pointed out that the people in the outlying rural areas got wiped out for the most part. To far from others so they were easy targets for bandits and police who acted as bandits. They just couldn't cover everything and families alone were not enough to fend off the bandits. Urban areas were hard hit as well. It was the suburbs and smaller communities that fared best overall.

He had some good info too on firearms that served best and the reasoning as well as reality behind the why.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnireland View Post
Here is a book I found educational about surviving the economic collapse in Argentina in 2001. It lays out what you need in a "shelter at home" crisis...one that envelopes and entire country. This seems to me a more likely case to happen in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Surviv.../dp/9870563457

Earthquakes in Los Angeles are probably the most logical thing we face. For that I have a "get home" bag in the car. A couple of bottles of water, dry shoes and socks, a pair of jeans, a shirt, a light sweater, a nylon wind breaker, a baseball hat, leather gloves, my pocket knife and my .45 1911 with 3 extra mags. The clothing is for if mine is damaged or wet or contaminated. Gloves, water, gun and knife are the absolute basics to get home. Our condo building has a large enclosed private parking lot. If the building is red tagged we can all camp out there with each other as mutual security. But the rule about not letting others know what you've got still applies.
I would also add a few other simple things. I have an Altoids tin that's easy to put in a pocket. In it are a AAA flashlight, a micro multitool, bandaid, $20 in $5 bills, a little duct tape, small plastic bag with aspirin and caffeine pills, splinter remover, zip tie etc etc. Pic below. Some of this stuff I've used from time to time, some never. Nice to have when you need it. Room for a little more stuff in there. The little piece of red duct tape is to cover the flashlight lens, so you don't blow out your night vision.

Besides water, I usually bring a protein bar for energy/blood sugar maintenance. And of course a cell phone. This setup is for 10 miles from home or less, assuming I am going to have to walk home. For when I am traveling more than that distance, I have an actual get-home bag with a lot more stuff. Assuming a long walk, even an overnight, as worst-case scenario.
Attached Thumbnails
Altoids 4.JPG  

Last edited by TominMO; 04-19-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
I would also add a few other simple things. I have an Altoids tin that's easy to put in a pocket. In it are a AAA flashlight, a micro multitool, bandaid, $20 in $5 bills, a little duct tape, small plastic bag with aspirin and caffeine pills, splinter remover, zip tie etc etc. Pic below. Some of this stuff I've used from time to time, some never. Nice to have when you need it. Room for a little more stuff in there. The little piece of red duct tape is to cover the flashlight lens, so you don't blow out your night vision.

Besides water, I usually bring a protein bar for energy/blood sugar maintenance. And of course a cell phone. This setup is for 10 miles from home or less, assuming I am going to have to walk home. For when I am traveling more than that distance, I have an actual get-home bag with a lot more stuff. Assuming a long walk, even an overnight, as worst-case scenario.
Both of you have given me something to think of. Right now my "get home" kit is... 50$ bill folded away in my wallet along my gun right org cards, whatever blade and gun I have on me, and a cellphone. My keychain has a whistle and a AAA maglite solitaire led and for some reason a p38 can opener.

I'm adding a small bag with a compass and some of the doodads y'all mentioned.
-----------------------^--------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 05-05-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Love pic #2 Here locally we had a good one . Linda Fish Oda for judge.

Was driving to the range years ago and saw the sign. Had to back up just to make sure I read it right. A week later they were all changed to just Linda Oda.
Reminds me of the Ben Stiller movie Meet the Fockers. Ben plays Greg Focker, and his fiancee's name is Martha, so.....