Gun/ money belts. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 11:14 AM

Gun/ money belts.

Quite some time ago, there was some discussion here about a gunbelt that also served as a money belt to discreetly carry emergency currency or coin. I spoke to several lether craftsmen before I found one willing to tackle sucj a project. I wound up with 3 of them, that all saw fairly heavy use during my sabbatical.
The first was a bit on the thick side, and the brass zipper over engineered for the task. The next 2 were slightly thiner, and used a lighter duty zipper. All could carry 24 US banknotes with easy, as well ans several 1/2 and 1/10 oz gold Maple Leaf coins.
A great way to carry a contingency stash discreetly and securely when traveling in some unsavory places. When going through security points at airports, I'd remove the belt and toss it in my carry on- it never recieved any attention.
I'm not sure if there's still any interest here, but If I can recall how to attach images, Ill post a few.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-14-2020, 03:07 PM

Some pics as promised...
The lighter tan one with the brass zipper is the first prototype, tbe oxblood and black are second run, with lighter zipppers. The pockets on the second batch is slightly tighter than on the prototype, but still functional. You can see that the first one made is slightly thicker than the second 2....
Attached Thumbnails
20200214_144315.jpg   20200214_144430.jpg   20200214_144405.jpg   20200214_144535.jpg  
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-14-2020, 04:42 PM

Banana republic used to sell a pretty good money belt.

I had one for years. Not sure what happened to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I had one for years. Not sure what happened to it.
I had something similar many years ago...but it wasn't robust enough to hang a pistol off of.... I think I've finally found a good combination, a belt with both capabilities built into it.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:48 PM

That's extremely interesting, that's not something I really thought about. Does your maker have the ability to take requests from people out of his local area?
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-14-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
That's extremely interesting, that's not something I really thought about. Does your maker have the ability to take requests from people out of his local area?
He does- he's actually 1000 miles from me. He's comfortable with the process now, and willing to accept addition orders. PM me if its something you're interested in, and I'll forward his contact information.
When working and traveling in some less than prime locations, its nice to be able to have a stash of currency and coin tucked away for emergencies. Load it up- it takes a bit of effort, and forget about it until you need it.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:46 PM

El Paso Saddlery makes one.

Strong enough to carry a gun as well. With an option for cartridge loops if required. They make some pretty nice stuff.

https://epsaddlery.com/product/1-moneybelt/
Old 02-14-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Strong enough to carry a gun as well. With an option for cartridge loops if required. They make some pretty nice stuff.

https://epsaddlery.com/product/1-moneybelt/
A nice option for a duty/field belt....worth looking into.
Perhaps I should clarify, the belts I had made are 1.5", everyday use, normal trouser gun belts. Something that can be worn with jeans, chinos, or even a suit and not stand out as abnormal.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Yes, I have that ability....let me know if I can help you with one.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:17 AM

This is an interesting concept, especially when traveling.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.1911 View Post
Thats my primary use, but I also like them for daily use- its nice to know that I have a few hundred $s (up to several thousand if loaded with gold coin) tuckered away in case its needed. In world of electronic money, we forget that sometimes technology fails, and cash doesn't need electricity.
The concept developed from a discussion here several years ago about SHTF assets and resources, and potentially being seperated from them at the onset of an event... particularly cash and coin.

Now that Rick has outed himself as the craftsman (I don't publish other people's info without their express consent), if one is interested and can't reach him, I have alternative contact information....

Last edited by wccountryboy; 02-16-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.1911 View Post
Yes it is, coupled with a Yaqui slide of the same color it'd just look like a dress belt.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:14 PM

I hace two 1.5 inch money belts that I purchased from a leather goods manufacturer on the internet. I wear one of them every day. Yes, they're good for supporting a holster & full-size pistol.
Well, yes, I have a few guns...
Old 03-21-2020, 10:53 PM

I have been making a few money belts. Mine are heavy duty and hand made. I bought a few dress money belts, and found them wanting. I choose to use the biggest zippers for strength. So I made my own. Here are a few I have made.

Thank you,

Henry
Attached Thumbnails
100_3219.JPG   100_3221.JPG   100_3861.JPG  

BUY AMERICAN.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
The first was a bit on the thick side, and the brass zipper over engineered for the task. The next 2 were slightly thiner, and used a lighter duty zipper.

A great way to carry a contingency stash discreetly and securely when traveling in some unsavory places. When going through security points at airports, I'd remove the belt and toss it in my carry on- it never recieved any attention.
Two questions..
1) does the zipper dig into you? I tend to wear my belt tight to pull a holster in closer to the body.
2) did the coins in the belt show up on x-ray when the carry on was scanned?
Old 03-30-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampgator View Post
Two questions..
1) does the zipper dig into you? I tend to wear my belt tight to pull a holster in closer to the body.
2) did the coins in the belt show up on x-ray when the carry on was scanned?
I don't noticed the zipper, it seems to be a non issue.

I put the belt in the carry on its vertical axis- as worn. I can't comment accurately on whether the coins showed up, but I was never questioned. I'm I'm assuming the cross section of the coins , along with the clutter of other crap, was small enormously not to draw attention.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:04 AM

Coins in a money belt??
Old 03-30-2020, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quite some time ago, there was some discussion here about a gunbelt that also served as a money belt to discreetly carry emergency currency or coin.

All could carry 24 US banknotes with easy, as well ans several 1/2 and 1/10 oz gold Maple Leaf coins.
why not coins?

NRA Life Member
Old 03-30-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban View Post
Coins in a money belt??
Gold coin, in many parts of the world, is far better than currency.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Gold coin, in many parts of the world, is far better than currency.
Now that's something I'll probably never have to deal with.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I don't noticed the zipper, it seems to be a non issue.

I put the belt in the carry on its vertical axis- as worn. I can't comment accurately on whether the coins showed up, but I was never questioned. I'm I'm assuming the cross section of the coins , along with the clutter of other crap, was small enormously not to draw attention.
Thanks!
I've toyed with idea of making a money belt before. My old shop owner made a few Western rigs with them. But I never did one.
Once I get my sewing machine figured out, I might play around with the idea.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampgator View Post
Thanks!
I've toyed with idea of making a money belt before. My old shop owner made a few Western rigs with them. But I never did one.
Once I get my sewing machine figured out, I might play around with the idea.
I was intimidated by zippers at first, but after I got that first on under my belt (ha ha...get it?) I realized it was no big thing.
Let me know if I can help when you're ready.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thats my primary use, but I also like them for daily use- its nice to know that I have a few hundred $s (up to several thousand if loaded with gold coin) tuckered away in case its needed. In world of electronic money, we forget that sometimes technology fails, and cash doesn't need electricity.
I have a money belt, made by one of the leather craftsmen from this Forum. Used it a couple of times when traveling. It served it's purpose, but the main thing I didn't like was having to fold the bills to get them inside the belt. And the fact that they were creased when I took them out.

I folded them length-wise which was intuitive to me, but now I'm thinking some other fold might be better. So, you fellas that use money belts, how do you fold your bills?

NRA Life Member
Old 04-01-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
I have a money belt, made by one of the leather craftsmen from this Forum. Used it a couple of times when traveling. It served it's purpose, but the main thing I didn't like was having to fold the bills to get them inside the belt. And the fact that they were creased when I took them out.

I folded them length-wise which was intuitive to me, but now I'm thinking some other fold might be better. So, you fellas that use money belts, how do you fold your bills?
I stack them 3 high and fold them lengthwise, in thirds.... it seems to be the most effective way to do it.
I don't worry about them being creased, this isn't spending cash, its there for an emergency....
Old 04-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you wccb. My only problem with the creases is appearance when I come home from a trip and put them back in the safe. But, it's certainly not a disqualifying problem, just an annoyance.

NRA Life Member