Virus outbreak - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-01-2020, 07:30 AM

Just as there are vaccines for flu, pneumonia, shingles, etc., ultimately there will be a vaccine for covid 19. But that’s probably a good 18 months off. And there will be the people who will get it and those that refuse. In the meantime community acquired cases wil increase just like they did with MRSA resistant staph infections (which went from hospitals to playgrounds).
Hand hygiene is the gold standard to limit spread of ANY communicable disease.
The whole mask thing is an individual decision and useless in the example of a nail biter who doesn’t wash their hands.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:44 AM

I really wish people would stop comparing this to the flu. Its current morbidity and mortality rate is between 7 and 20 times worse than the flu.
One does not normally see borders closed for the flu. Towns isolated and police patrolling to prevent entry and exiting. Massive fumigation efforts.
This seems to be targeting males over the age of 50, of which I'm one. Though I'm pretty sure my immune system is not compromised. But I still don't want to get something that has a chance of turning into to deep lung pneumonia and ruining my lungs.
Is most of what we are seeing over reaction? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.
Realistically, this is now out and loose. It's not going away. Most of us will survive. But, this is going to be something that will periodically pop up and cause problems.
I agree with President Trump, that we are still in good shape. But, that could change over time.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 03-01-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:03 PM

I wish people paid as much attention to their daily driving, as they do this virus.

It’s serious, and could get worse......but some days driving is more of a crap shoot than any illness.

The media hype is just ridiculous.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:34 PM

I am just hoping that all of the Democrats take the easy way out.

By drinking the Kool aid before they get sick. Oh but wait! They already did drink the Kool aid. It just did not work the way that it was supposed to. Instead of killing them, all it did was destroy their minds.

But seriously, this could turn out to be pretty bad in terms of mortality. But panicking is not going to help anyone. And with the politicians all making policy what could go wrong?
Old 03-02-2020, 02:11 AM

Again, we have the best medical infrastructure of any country on earth. My concern is not so much about the virus decimating lives here in US, but how its going to effect trade and commerce with nations that do not have the same access to medical care. The Dow Jones dropped like 500 points yesterday. Sometimes the panic can be worse than the actual virus.

I witnessed how sensationalized reporting caused irrational fear to grip the local population. I was part of the Hazmat team at Presbyterian Hospital Dallas during the Ebola virus "outbreak". We were able to contain it with no issues. But the hospital took an enormous financial hit as no one wanted to come there for quite a while after the virus was already contained. I even had friends, who are medical professionals, cancel their their trip to visit Dallas because they thought this was akin to a Hollywood movie with Dustin Hoffman.

Yours truly on the left. Even during the end of the world there's still time for a goofy photo!!

Last edited by Flight Medic; 03-02-2020 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:49 PM

I did not really take much note of Dustin Hoffman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Again, we have the best medical infrastructure of any country on earth. My concern is not so much about the virus decimating lives here in US, but how its going to effect trade and commerce with nations that do not have the same access to medical care. The Dow Jones dropped like 500 points yesterday. Sometimes the panic can be worse than the actual virus.

I witnessed how sensationalized reporting caused irrational fear to grip the local population. I was part of the Hazmat team at Presbyterian Hospital Dallas during the Ebola virus "outbreak". We were able to contain it with no issues. But the hospital took an enormous financial hit as no one wanted to come there for quite a while after the virus was already contained. I even had friends, who are medical professionals, cancel their their trip to visit Dallas because they thought this was akin to a Hollywood movie with Dustin Hoffman.

Yours truly on the left. Even during the end of the world there's still time for a goofy photo!!
I was too busy checking out Rene Russo.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post

Thanks FM for sharing.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 03-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Great pic to keep it all in perspective FM - thanks.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 03-02-2020, 08:19 PM

Hopefully all of these Demo candidates will all go around.

And shake the wrong hand, or kiss the wrong baby and become one of the two per-centers.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:18 AM

My plan is to stay healthy until the vaccine comes out.
Like the flu, it looks like Corona does more damage to people with weakened immune systems or living in unsanitary conditions.
While it might become a greater threat like the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918, there is nothing yet to indicate it is going down that path, which is a good thing!
Old 03-06-2020, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I really wish people would stop comparing this to the flu. Its current morbidity and mortality rate is between 7 and 20 times worse than the flu.
I’m not sure the numbers support this statement. Far more people are dying from the flu than this virus.

Decisions to close or open borders may be attributed to emotional reactions as much as the are to real dangers.

I maintain that if you follow the same procedures as you should for the flu, you are unlikely to be any more affected than bu the flu, with the exception that there is not yet a vaccine for this one.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:37 PM

President Trump is on it and he will see that
we are all safe. That's all I need to know.

And screw the liberal Centers for Contagious
Diseases.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
President Trump is on it and he will see that
we are all safe. That's all I need to know.

And screw the liberal Centers for Contagious
Diseases.
Yeah, it will be April soon and it will just disappear.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
I’m not sure the numbers support this statement. Far more people are dying from the flu than this virus.

Decisions to close or open borders may be attributed to emotional reactions as much as the are to real dangers.

I maintain that if you follow the same procedures as you should for the flu, you are unlikely to be any more affected than bu the flu, with the exception that there is not yet a vaccine for this one.
Quote:
Im not sure where this latter statment came from. ~100k cases worldwide, and <3500 fatalities in a population of well over 7 BILLION...
Conversely, 29 million cases and 16k deaths from this year's flu- in the US alone...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 03-07-2020, 01:40 AM

For years I've had mild onset COPD (from years of smoking). I don't need or take any medication but I am more susceptible to bronchial infections. Two months ago my wife caught a persistent cold, and eventually I came down with it. So I've been coughing in on and off spasms for a month now. No fever, no wheezing, blah blah blah. But I do wear a simple paper surgical mask when shopping in the market or going out in public, all under the premise that something is better than nothing. My "prepper" supplies are my basic earthquake supplies. And I can load it all in our cars if we felt a need to leave Los Angeles. Beyond that, shopping at non-peak hours, keeping the gas tanks 3/4 full, and having several days of food and water that can be prepared without electricity or gas if necessary, having a certain amount of cash in small bills, and of course a prudent supply of ammo and first aid supplies is our basic plan. From the many confusing comments in the media, I get the feeling that this is more contagious but less dangerous than the normal flu. And it seems to infect the elderly more than the young.
As to where it came from...viruses have their own agenda.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Im not sure where this latter statment came from. ~100k cases worldwide, and <3500 fatalities in a population of well over 7 BILLION...
Conversely, 29 million cases and 16k deaths from this year's flu- in the US alone...

I think sailormilan meant if a person gets the Corona virus caused flu, the chances a person will die from it are much higher than the regular flu.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Corona virus causing flu is more contagious than the regular flu.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:43 AM

Nobody wants to see people die so there is always some sadness, but as many of us have been pointing out from the start of this thread, the numbers induce by CV pails compared to regular influenza...Nothing changes for me as I noted above, I take daily chemo pills which are a miracle in themselves because of how effective they are and how minimal the side effects are, but they do compromise the immune system. So all the things being recommended for CV hot-spots I have been doing for many years already during flue season, plus I wear a mask in tight public spaces...I did it then and I do it now to lower my personal risk to flue, not CV.

What amazes me is the public panic over CV. I would hate to see if there was a true national disaster in this country, the levels of panic induced by government, the national media, and exacerbated by Social-Media, will be a thing to behold.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-07-2020, 06:57 AM

In the meantime the stock market is presenting a great opportunity, the lows of two Fridays ago were being tested yesterday again (and held so far), volume on the downside had dried up dramatically (bullish sign), almost all the physiological indicators are extreme bullish (these measure levels of panic, when they are very high (most are through the roof right now) this is a bullish sign).

Moreover, the 10-year Treasury yield has dropped below 1% - this is historic. Another sign of extreme-panic. The SPY-ETF yields 1.9%. Typically when stocks yield more then the 10 Year it is another very bullish sign. As the panic gets worn down, money will come out of Treasuries and flood into stocks.

No guarantees of course (invest at your own risk, speak to a financial adviser, and all other apropos caveats :-)), but this "movie" of stock-market panic has played out many, many times before, so the odds look very good it is heading to the same positive outcome.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-07-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:32 AM

I've no concerns about the virus. I am concerned about the foolish mass hysteria surrounding the facts and circumstances of the virus.

People need to calm down. I've read that that actual death rate will likely be well below 1%.

The press learned long ago that sensationalism sells newspapers, and in the modern media of today, sensationalism just as effectively drives clicks. The landing pages of many outlets are inundating readers with bold headlines coupled with disturbing photos of medical personnel clothed in ominous biohazard suits or citizens in N95 face masks (a medical accoutrement that until a few weeks ago few had heard of, and about which many now know just enough to be dangerous).

News aggregator sites are interlaced with headlines short of facts and long on speculation. “How Long Will It Last?” “Oregon Hit!” And my personal favorite: “Toilet Paper Rationing in Hawaii,” a headline that perhaps most accurately alludes to the substance of the many of these reports (albeit unintentionally, I am sure).

Stop worrying about this, people. This will pass.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:36 AM

Yesterday my local Costco's shelves were empty when it came to bottled water, hand sanitizer and toilet paper. Nothing!
Old 03-07-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
I think sailormilan meant if a person gets the Corona virus caused flu, the chances a person will die from it are much higher than the regular flu.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Corona virus causing flu is more contagious than the regular flu.
That is what I meant. The mortality rate seems to start increasing once the age bracket gets over 30ish. Each decade over 30, the mortality doubles, or more. So, for those in their 70s, the mortality rate is approx 8%. Or, 1 in 12. For those in their 80s, it is about 15%.
I'll be 70 next month, but I have no overlying major health issues. So, I'm aware, but not panicking. I've taking some steps. Basically, stocked up on a bit of extra foods, so that if it does turn really bad, I don't have to leave the house much.
All it means is that I will have the time to finish some gun projects that I have been putting off.
Attached Thumbnails
73d4b3ba74efec4c85c3562131362322c66946d9b29a497ac0b234373ec7e754_1583589123797.jpg  

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 03-07-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:24 PM

I’m a bartender at a local Mexican restaurant...we’re definitely seeing blowback.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:40 PM

If the Corona virus manifests in all the squalid homeless encampments here in CA, that's going to be a very tragic situation!
Old 03-07-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
That is what I meant. The mortality rate seems to start increasing once the age bracket gets over 30ish. Each decade over 30, the mortality doubles, or more. So, for those in their 70s, the mortality rate is approx 8%. Or, 1 in 12. For those in their 80s, it is about 15%.
I'll be 70 next month, but I have no overlying major health issues. So, I'm aware, but not panicking. I've taking some steps. Basically, stocked up on a bit of extra foods, so that if it does turn really bad, I don't have to leave the house much.
All it means is that I will have the time to finish some gun projects that I have been putting off.
Yes, the mortality rate is higher- but does not factor in underlying health considerations of the affected population- primarily China; not a particularly healthy population base to begin with.... I can only find US flu data, so it's not a direct correlation...
Infection rates are still extraordinarily low, ~ 100k cases worldwide. Corona is virulent, it survives well- however, it doesn't seem to be particularly contagious relative to flu. If it were, we'd have 100s of thousands, if not millions of cases world wide by now, not 100k.

I agree, some precautionary measures are in order, but it's not anything to panic over. In NC, we had our first confirmed case a court days ago, someone's who brought it with them from WA. As it applies direct to me, I currently have students who were on that same flight itinerary. We can't non-conduct our class, so we're being diligent about maintaining a sanitary environment, and closely monitoring both students and cadre. I've alone abstained from visiting my elderly parents who live 40 minutes away, and will continue to do so for a couples weeks after we finished the cycle.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 03-07-2020, 11:02 PM

Well certainly all should conduct themselves as they see fit.

And generally speaking, panicked reactions are historically a pretty poor return on investment.

However I spoke with my sister in law today. She is neither an epidemiologist, nor is she even a virologist. She is however, a highly respected micro biologist. Her clearly guarded, and well considered replies to my inquiries gave me pause to consider things.

She stated a number of things to me that gave me cause for concern. Not least of which was that we are clearly dealing with something new here as things that should be happening according to normal paths of virology. They are not occurring. Additionally things that would not be expected to show themselves in this regard actually are doing so.

So you pays your money and you takes your chances, the same as always. I have however reconsidered some things with renewed interest post conversation with my SIL.