New Nighthawk Inbound - a long story - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-18-2019, 07:56 PM

New Nighthawk Inbound - a long story

I don't usually start threads, and not sure this one is justified, but had to share my excitement with NHC fans.

My history is 1911-heavy: grew up on Cooper, real men carry .45 ACPs, and owned over 20 of the blasted machines cut on by myself and others much more qualified. I was down to two, and then after a robbery at a gunsmiths, down to one. The one I won't get into, but it's much more of a fan item than an indication of my belief and faith in the platform.

Friends mourned for me. I was lost in the wilderness, wandering aimlessly between different plastic pistols with the occasional sentimental wheelgun thrown in for good measure.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and decided I had to get back to a SA/metal framed pistol (after my late father had the audacity to die after hiding the Browning Hi-Power I lent him, but such are the tides of life), I decided on one, last 1911. It was the Answer. Truth be told, I wanted an Heirloom Precision pistol, but even I, The Enabler, couldn't justify such a work of art as a carry gun, let alone budget for it.

My favorite gunsmith from years past had gotten out of the game, and so I considered my options, updated from 1995 to 2019. There are a plethora of really fine options out there, but the ghost of a Nighthawk Commander haunted me. It was a brief fling with a gun not even mine, but it felt so RIGHT.

Caliber, I'm a .45 ACP guy through and through. It's just better than 9mm. But, in reality, my safe holds far more 9mm's than anything else, and I intended to really shoot the living daylights out of this gun. By all I've heard, the code has been cracked on the 9mm 1911.

Likewise, carry means LW, and 9mm Commanders cycle better, or so say the witch's bones.

Candles lit, prayers sent, checkbook (kinda) balanced, the stars seemed to align themselves into what I NEEDED (not wanted, NEEDED), and an email was sent for a non-catalogued item. Curse or prayer answered, the good folks at NHC were willing to build my Ultimate Pistol, the most expensive gun I've ever commissioned, and what I plan to have by my side for here unto eternity: 9mm LW Commander, GRP, gold bead from sight, blended mag well with lanyard loop (because, cool), and a flat-spring arrangement.

The culmination of 43 years of experience (I started shooting at 4, which would probably result in my father having intense discussions with Child Protective Services these days) have all built up to this pistol.

It will be here Tuesday.

Plain vanilla in so many ways, yet perfect for what it has and doesn't have, built to my specifications with the skill I could never master in 1,000 years, I want to thank the NHC crew and Tim specifically, my deepest appreciation for a transaction well made.

Thanks for listening. I know - another gushing post without even having shot the thing, but I just had to share.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:23 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! We don't always get what we want, but we always get what we need.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:58 PM

Loved reading your post. All I can ask - Would you please post pics when you get your hands on your newly acquired possession? For if there are no pics, it did not come to pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 02:46 PM

congrats and pics when it arrives!!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:07 PM

You sound excited. Pictures and range report asap.

Last edited by tjpaxton; 05-20-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:36 PM

Congratulations on your ordered pistol! There are few things more exciting that waiting on a gun to arrive that you have ordered, anticipation!! Yes, please share some pictures when you get your hands on it!
Old 05-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Congratulations!!! Did your new treasure arrive and have you stopped smiling yet?
Old 05-23-2019, 10:25 PM

Folks, thank you all for your kind responses. Yes, I received delivery of it, but will find a picture hosting site to share the gloriousness which is a base-model Nighthawk.

No, I haven't stopped smiling yet. A lifetime of firearms experience still has me amazed at the build quality and precision of this machine. The test target has two distinct holes in it - dead on - with "5 shots" written next to it. So, already the excuse of, "it's the gun" is out the window.

Shots to come this weekend if I can slip away or next Wednesday at the latest.

All I can say is that if the GRP is Nighthawk's basic offering, I received much more than I paid for.

Of course, the proof is in the shooting, and will be back with range reports and pictures ASAP.

Cheers and have a great night!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
Folks, thank you all for your kind responses. Yes, I received delivery of it, but will find a picture hosting site to share the gloriousness which is a base-model Nighthawk.

No, I haven't stopped smiling yet. A lifetime of firearms experience still has me amazed at the build quality and precision of this machine. The test target has two distinct holes in it - dead on - with "5 shots" written next to it. So, already the excuse of, "it's the gun" is out the window.

Shots to come this weekend if I can slip away or next Wednesday at the latest.

All I can say is that if the GRP is Nighthawk's basic offering, I received much more than I paid for.

Of course, the proof is in the shooting, and will be back with range reports and pictures ASAP.

Cheers and have a great night!
Come on!! At least one picture.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:16 PM

And, there is a crappy cell phone pic of the new wonderness.

After a trip to the range, I must report 0% feed issues with Winchester 124grn NATO and Federal 9BP hollow points.

Also, the groups were almost impressive - no pics because ::just holes in paper:: - but I can say it outshot everything else I brought with me including a Wilson Combat Beretta and a worked over S&W Shield. Now, those are two fine guns and I know operator error when I see it.

But, there in lies one of the may fine beauties of the 1911 - it minimizes human error through it's amazing combination of slim fit, low bore axis, and that sweet, sweet sliding trigger.

I almost looked like I knew what I was doing.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:45 AM

Drifting Fate, I somehow missed this thread until today and very much enjoyed reading the thread but most of all your first post in it. Worked out well though as I read through the whole thing and was able to see your fantastic new Nighthawk, congrats. I had the opportunity to tour Nighthawk a few weeks ago. Great new facility and all the employees were really welcoming and had no problems stopping their work to talk to us and answer questions, all typical great Berryville people. My perception of Nighthawk has really changed (for the better) since I was there.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Last edited by apipeguy; 06-08-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:34 AM

apipeguy, thank you for your post. One of these days I will have to visit Berryville and take a tour of NHC. I've friends in the area, too, so the reasons just stack up.

But, I think you and I share a few loves: fine 1911's and tobacco pipes (always have to clarify that these days.). In fact, I'm going to the monthly AZ Pipe Club meeting this afternoon. If you get a chance, swing by http://www.thebriarpatchforum.com

I think you'll find it's a small, but enthusiastic group of pipe aficionados.

Keep it smokey!
Old 06-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
apipeguy, thank you for your post. One of these days I will have to visit Berryville and take a tour of NHC. I've friends in the area, too, so the reasons just stack up.

But, I think you and I share a few loves: fine 1911's and tobacco pipes (always have to clarify that these days.). In fact, I'm going to the monthly AZ Pipe Club meeting this afternoon. If you get a chance, swing by http://www.thebriarpatchforum.com

I think you'll find it's a small, but enthusiastic group of pipe aficionados.

Keep it smokey!
Thanks

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 02-23-2020, 12:24 PM

Great stuff, nice gun, thanks for sharing. I've been looking at NHC and waiting for the day I can finally pull the trigger and get one for 10 years now. After reading this, one thing's for certain -- I still want (need?) one really bad!
Old 02-23-2020, 08:39 PM

I would be glad to come help you search your father in laws house for said missing hi Power. I'm gifted in finding hidden things, ask my kids.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:05 PM

congrats, some folks are able to obtain things on their bucket list. enjoy every minute of it
Old 02-25-2020, 08:08 PM

You have good taste. I have had mine for about 10 years. This one is in .45 ACP
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5814.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	575710
I think I might even use this one at the local USPSA match this weekend. Shoot what ya carry. Congratulations!!!

Last edited by arbninftry; 02-25-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:38 PM

Trying to get the picture the right side up

Last edited by arbninftry; 02-26-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:55 PM

Congrats on the new pistol, nice looking shooter!