.45 colt roll crimp question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-24-2020, 08:43 PM

.45 colt roll crimp question

I am using a lee factory on some 250 grain rnfp cast. My question is whenever I want a modest or heavy roll crimp 3/4 to a full turn my col is reduced. Yes it obvious that crimp process is seating the bullet deeper. Example col before crimp is 1.580 and after a 3/4 turn in the die for a firm crimp shortens to around 1.570. Is this common or could I just be using to much crimp? On top 8 grs of unique. 1/2 a turn is just to light.
Attached Thumbnails
0224201825_1582598600368.jpg  
Old 02-25-2020, 12:47 AM

That looks like a whole lot of crimp, I'd probably back off. You using a seat/crimp die?
Old 02-25-2020, 01:13 AM
Banned

I kind of think it looks like you are crimping ahead of the crimp groove, actually more like on the front driving band judging by how the brass basically gets reduced in thickness by 50%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 01:15 AM
Banned

half your problem is that you are using the seating die and crimp TOGETHER at the same time. Until you get the seating depth adjusted so the bullet is fully seated at the same moment the die crimps it... youll have the issue.

I just separate crimp and seat
Old 02-25-2020, 05:35 AM

I don't seat and crimp at the same. I roll crimp separate. There has only been one change and that is a different manufacturer of the cast. This has not happened before until now. Does not happen with jacketed xtp bullets,I just loaded some earlier. Could my die be worn? It's a mystery for right now.. Maybe it's time to start looking at the brass itself, it has been worked 6 times this being the 7th. I will figure it out with process of elimination of all the possible contributing factors.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:46 AM

Do your bullets have a cannelure? I usually set OAL so the case is just a hair shy of the top of the cannelure, then roll crimp. If there’s no groove on the bullet I could believe that as its crimped the bullet is drawn into the case .01”.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:21 AM

^^^^ This...
Since you seat in a separate step, back it out a touch. Roll that dude into the groove. If you donít have a groove.....get some! A good solid crimp is necessary for revolvers, especially that one.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:10 AM

Different bullet than what I am used to. Got to looking at it some more and the crimp groove is not as wide from the other batch and not quite as deep, not what I am used to. Just need to change the the seat depth and crimp.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post
half your problem is that you are using the seating die and crimp TOGETHER at the same time. Until you get the seating depth adjusted so the bullet is fully seated at the same moment the die crimps it... youll have the issue.

I just separate crimp and seat
Same here. Seat, then crimp separately.

Like you, I load a cast 255g RNFP over Unique. I like 9g because it duplicates the original BP loading.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:16 AM

I think you found the issue with changing bullets. If the bullet is fully seated to the crimp groove optimal position there should be little to no change in the COL when crimping. The crimp is pressing the case mouth at an angle, and if too low on the crimp groove will be able to push down on the bullet before the crimp is completed. Since the case trim lengths may vary significantly unless sorted, expect some imperfections. Set the crimp to be suitable for the longest range of trim length +-.005. Then you might want to think about measuring and sorting your case lengths into ranges.

Last edited by RealGun; 02-26-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:39 PM

Set up the seating stem so the case mouth is slightly below the top of the cannelure/crimp groove on the bullet. Next, throw away the Lee FCD and get a Redding Profile Crimp die.
After crimp, pull bullet. There should be no damage, indented ring or other mark on the bullet.
If using bullets with a cannelure/crimp groove, get a different bullet.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
Set up the seating stem so the case mouth is slightly below the top of the cannelure/crimp groove on the bullet. Next, throw away the Lee FCD and get a Redding Profile Crimp die.
After crimp, pull bullet. There should be no damage, indented ring or other mark on the bullet.
If using bullets with a cannelure/crimp groove, get a different bullet.
For 45 Colt, a bullet with a crimp groove is the right type of bullet. Save the Lee FCD as useful on smaller diameter, jacketed or plated bullets.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:23 AM

Yeah, I donít know why noylj is saying to use a non-cannelure bullet. That is wrong. To add, the FCD is fine for that application anyway. Itís just a good old fashioned roll crimp. This is a 45 Colt after all.