Thinking about the 2A and 60 years ago (1959) - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 09:56 AM

It makes me think of the CBS Sunday Morning interview with the CEO of Dick's Sporting Goods.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/how-co...dressing-guns/

A few inconsistencies within the story, that interestingly don't seem to strike either the reporter Lee Cowan or Dick's CEO Ed Stack.

To save some time for folks...

At about the 1:10 mark Ed Stack asks "how with everything that has gone on, could anyone sit there and say we don't need background checks."

At around the 3:55 mark, post Marjorie Stoneman-Douglas shooting, Dick's stops selling guns to those under 21.

However, around the 1:30 mark, they point out that Dick's Bait and Tackle was begun in 1948 in Binghamton, New York, by Dick Stack, on money he borrowed from his grandmother. Dick Stack, at the time, was 18.

How many background checks did Dick Stack do in 1948? Heck, in keeping with Dick's current policy, Dick Stack wouldn't have been able to stock guns in his store, because as an 18 year old, he wouldn't have been old enough to buy them to stock them.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio View Post
About that same time, 1959, .......................
................What the h$ll has happened??!!
Disturbed and unstable kid with guns shooting people, that’s what happened. Some politicians use these awful events for their own purposes but a lot of voters, indifferent to guns on the whole, vote for anyone claiming to “fix” this problem.

You and I are of the same age - I was eleven in 1959 as well. A favorite uncle got me a Daisy Pump action BB rifle and set up a small range in the back yard. This was in a large metropolitan NE city that currently has some of the most draconian gun laws in the country. I shot that Daisy in my back yard “range” and not a word from any neighbors. Even had the neighbors on either side come over to try their hand with the Daisy.

You can’t do that today......... sigh........

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 11-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor View Post
Disturbed and unstable kid with guns shooting people, that’s what happened. Some politicians use these awful events for their own purposes but a lot of voters, indifferent to guns on the whole, vote for anyone claiming to “fix” this problem.

You and I are of the same age - I was eleven in 1959 as well. A favorite uncle got me a Daisy Pump action BB rifle and set up a small range in the back yard. This was in a large metropolitan NE city that currently has some of the most draconian gun laws in the country. I shot that Daisy in my back yard “range” and not a word from any neighbors. Even had the neighbors on either side come over to try their hand with the Daisy.

You can’t do that today......... sigh........
Born 1966 grew up in Western Pennsylvania and had a Marlin 30-30, 12ga single shot shotgun and a .22 bolt action rifle hanging from a non-locking gun rack I made in 7th grade woodshop with all the associated ammo as well. Was bullied in school growing up and never once considered doing anything with those guns in regards to my bully situation because I knew my parents would "kill" me.

Agree on the disturbed kids part but what the hell made them disturbed. I enjoy violent video games as an adult is it because most of these games came out after my brain was fully developed in adulthood? Or is the epidemic lack of parental discipline or even parental attention?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermane_1911 View Post
^The NFA of 1934 was a response to the Bonus Army Riots a couple of years earlier there dsk.
My understanding it that it was a response to the St. Valentines Day massacre, which shocked the public in the same way mass shootings do today. However I'm sure any excuse was a good excuse to enact gun control even then, just as it is now.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krassh View Post
Born 1966 grew up in Western Pennsylvania and had a Marlin 30-30, 12ga single shot shotgun and a .22 bolt action rifle hanging from a non-locking gun rack I made in 7th grade woodshop with all the associated ammo as well. Was bullied in school growing up and never once considered doing anything with those guns in regards to my bully situation because I knew my parents would "kill" me.

Agree on the disturbed kids part but what the hell made them disturbed. I enjoy violent video games as an adult is it because most of these games came out after my brain was fully developed in adulthood? Or is the epidemic lack of parental discipline or even parental attention

Your sentence above (my bold) is the crux of the issue that is not being investigated sufficiently. I’ve read studies that claim it’s not violent movies or games that affect young people. In fact, these same studies also claim that violent entertainment is a “release” to violent thought and action!
I, for one, disagree.
A lot of us here have probably taken some sort of training in our professional lives that used Videos and/or role playing to teach us proper behavior in certain situations, new techniques and processes. If videos and game playing can teach us the “right” thing to do, then is can also teach us the “wrong” thing to do. Some people (young, impressionable, not fully developed minds) may be more susceptible to the influence of our violent entertainment.
And most (like you) are not.
The base question of the OP is what has changed. Our Society has changed, and not necessarily to the better.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."

Last edited by tractor; 11-09-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
It is really very simple. We have moved from a nation/culture/society that prized self-reliance and freedom to one where dependence upon government and the subsequent government intrusion has become the norm.

Any good pyschologist could probably make a good case for that being

CO-dependence...
Old 11-09-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
My understanding it that it was a response to the St. Valentines Day massacre, which shocked the public in the same way mass shootings do today. However I'm sure any excuse was a good excuse to enact gun control even then, just as it is now.
Never let a good crisis go to waste.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krassh View Post

Agree on the disturbed kids part but what the hell made them disturbed. I enjoy violent video games as an adult is it because most of these games came out after my brain was fully developed in adulthood? Or is the epidemic lack of parental discipline or even parental attention?

Sounds like me in elementary school with being bullied (until I finally had enough). Richie Ryan was the local bully throughout elementary school, and mainly in Mr. Koch's 5th grade class. Well, we got into it right there in the classroom, and he punched me in the face, causing a bloody nose, and we both tangled and fell onto the floor. I ended up wrestling him with everything I had in me, in a fit of rage, and was on top of him. I had him by his ears and was smashing his head into the floor, while he was flailing his fists around still trying to hit me in the face, head, etc... Just then, Mr. Koch got involved and came up behind me, putting me in a headlock, and yanked me off Richie, who was laying on the floor totally dazed. We both went to the principal and got 1 day suspension. Long story short - he NEVER messed with me again! Long story short (part II) - I didn't snap and go crazy, bring my dad's 12ga shotgun into class and open fire on people. I didn't do anything at all, but finally stand up for myself and, enough was enough, and I put a bully in his place!

Getting back to the 2A, I just think that our whole entire culture has radically changed and everybody is offended by everything. You can't do this, you can't do that, you can't say this, without someone getting their panties in a wad!

Go back to my uncle's house back in the day when he and my older cousins all used to go hunting. They had guns all over the place, openly displayed! Nobody said anything or got all freaked out. It's the way it was back then! Today, I am surprised nobody complains about the restaurant Cracker Barrel having a historic shotgun mounted over the huge fireplace, along with an 8 point buck head mounted above the shotgun!
Old 11-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Adminstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
Sounds like me in elementary school with being bullied (until I finally had enough). Richie Ryan was the local bully throughout elementary school, and mainly in Mr. Koch's 5th grade class. Well, we got into it right there in the classroom, and he punched me in the face, causing a bloody nose, and we both tangled and fell onto the floor. I ended up wrestling him with everything I had in me, in a fit of rage, and was on top of him. I had him by his ears and was smashing his head into the floor, while he was flailing his fists around still trying to hit me in the face, head, etc... Just then, Mr. Koch got involved and came up behind me, putting me in a headlock, and yanked me off Richie, who was laying on the floor totally dazed. We both went to the principal and got 1 day suspension. Long story short - he NEVER messed with me again! Long story short (part II) - I didn't snap and go crazy, bring my dad's 12ga shotgun into class and open fire on people. I didn't do anything at all, but finally stand up for myself and, enough was enough, and I put a bully in his place!

Getting back to the 2A, I just think that our whole entire culture has radically changed and everybody is offended by everything. You can't do this, you can't do that, you can't say this, without someone getting their panties in a wad!

Go back to my uncle's house back in the day when he and my older cousins all used to go hunting. They had guns all over the place, openly displayed! Nobody said anything or got all freaked out. It's the way it was back then! Today, I am surprised nobody complains about the restaurant Cracker Barrel having a historic shotgun mounted over the huge fireplace, along with an 8 point buck head mounted above the shotgun!
Yep. Well said.

As for Cracker Barrel, their day is coming.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:37 PM

I remember the late 50s well. In high school. After school my brother & I would put our shotguns across the handlebars of our bicycles, pedal out of town & hunt Doves. Try that in central Calif. now.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Administrator

As recently as the early 1980s... I was in high school and made a Ruger 10/22 stock out of a solid blank of black walnut in woodworking class. I would bring in the barreled action minus the bolt to do the fitting. Given the way things are today I can't believe they actually let me do that in school.

And yes I got an A+. Unfortunately the stock got lost to time so I no longer have it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:42 PM

I was born in Connecticut in 1983. Fortunately for me I was born into a strong family of patriots. My father wasn't worth his weight in salt. I doubt he ever handled a firearm as that would require him to put down his beer, which was never an option. My mother, however, was born and raised in North Carolina, moving north with her family in the 50s as her parents followed work when southern mills began to close. My mother's dad was a WW2 veteran. Her older brother was lost in Vietnam. My grandmother was never far from her cast iron pan, watering jugs and old blued shotgun. My mother followed the rodeos throughout her youth, barrel racing and competing in cowboy shooting. I can't remember what can first. Walking, or shooting my grandfather's old 22.

Perhaps I was raised differently, perhaps I'm the last vestige of a dying breed of patriot, but let me say that I just recently discovered this board, and being here, surrounded by all you folks brings me some moniker of peace and comfort.

Thank you all for sharring your stories.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
No, that's "popular" excuse, an similar measure happened when the fed .gov said veterans of "War on Terror" with "PTSD" couldn't legally own/posses firearms, the gov fears those with first hand experience with warfare, also those War Bonus vets had access to select fire small arms, the Valentine's Day Massacre was done with mostly with shotguns and legal owned that were stolen M1927 Thomson SMGs, the shotties did the most damage of the 2 firearm types that were used.

No Regerts.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
I grew up in the 50's, but mostly in the southern/southeastern U.S., and back then nobody paid much attention because they were all gun-owners and hunters. In 1959 we moved to upstate NY and it was pretty much different in that there were no folks with visible guns except during hunting season (Scotia, NY). 5 years later we moved to Massachusetts (Topsfield) and most folks had .22 rifles or shotguns (not visible) in high school and went duck, grouse, woodcock, small game) hunting after school and no one cared; but, NO HANDGUNS (even before FGCA '68) unless approved by local police chief, and most would not approve unless you were a life-long buddy and political supporter, so no purchase/ownership of those. I was glad to move back south in 1969 where gun rack in back window of pickup truck was normal.

What happened? America became complacent and apathetic about many of the BoR and more concerned about abortion and atheism, and slide of morals into "me, me, me!" - as the communists planned and implemented their plan of destroying America - we are now seeing the fruition of those efforts and lack of discipline to moral values, which start with family cohesion. I could write a book, but this is not the proper place.
Your reply is well stated and politically on target. And they have created a voter fraud machine that may well "win" in 2020. If that happens, we may find that the only way to keep the Second Amendment will be by using it. And if we lose the Second Amendment, all the others will quickly fall.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:56 AM

Born in a small(pop. 5,000)northern IL town in '53,I remember walking down the sidewalk to the river 3 blocks from my house with my new Remington Nylon 66,semi-auto .22 rifle and a brick of ammo to spend the day plinking.Gramps was a gun collector and gave it to me for Christmas(along with my first 20 ga. shotgun the following Christmas),if I remember correctly I was around 12 years old.Those were the good old days for sure.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
What happened? America became complacent and apathetic about many of the BoR and more concerned about abortion and atheism, and slide of morals into "me, me, me!" - as the communists planned and implemented their plan of destroying America - we are now seeing the fruition of those efforts and lack of discipline to moral values, which start with family cohesion. I could write a book, but this is not the proper place.
Just adding to what G50 posted from a different angle...

In his book: "The Advancement, Keeping the Faith in an Evolutionary Age", Bush (no relation as far as I know) speaks of "Modern Materialism". In this context materialism is referring to the universe as a random process (no Prime-Mover as Aquinas referred to him) of "stuff" floating around in space and finally constructing itself over billions of years into the reality we are experiencing today. This is the thinking which became dominate in the 20th century among many scientist and the so called intellectual elite. (Earlier in the history of intellectual discovery it was almost always assume that a foundation from God was the key driving process).

He goes on to say, as Western Civilization embraced this materialism model, "...in effect, God died. But if God dies, then man, who is made in his image, also dies...no longer purposely created; he is an accidental result of a complicated process. People becomes simply part of a machine."

These are very potent words, and think about how modern-materialism is directly opposed to the foundation of our Constitution based on God-Given rights. And think about why the Lefty-communist ideology does so much to try to remove God from our society. Once the "God" is removed, we as people become "just part of the machine" and become subservient to the machine. The machine over people will be optimized at all costs....Abortion especially post birth the Governor of VA supports is maybe the most disgusting recent example in America of this. And history is full of them too with Hitler, the Great National Socialist, and Stalin, the quintessential communists each bringing death to million's as they put the Godless-"machine" above all else.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 11-10-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnireland View Post
Your reply is well stated and politically on target. And they have created a voter fraud machine that may well "win" in 2020. If that happens, we may find that the only way to keep the Second Amendment will be by using it. And if we lose the Second Amendment, all the others will quickly fall.
Voter fraud seems to be rampart lately. Think Florida and California in most recent history. If the fraud isn't addressed I think we will definitely lose in 2020. I have brought my concern to the attention of my elected officials however I seem to be the only one concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Just adding to what G50 posted from a different angle...

In his book: "The Advancement, Keeping the Faith in an Evolutionary Age", Bush (no relation as far as I know) speaks of "Modern Materialism". In this context materialism is referring to the universe as a random process (no Prime-Mover as Aquinas referred to him) of "stuff" floating around in space and finally constructing itself over billions of years into the reality we are experiencing today. This is the thinking which became dominate in the 20th century among many scientist and the so called intellectual elite. (Earlier in the history of intellectual discovery it was almost always assume that a foundation from God was the key driving process).

He goes on to say, as Western Civilization embraced this materialism model, "...in effect, God died. But if God dies, then man, who is made in his image, also dies...no longer purposely created; he is an accidental result of a complicated process. People becomes simply part of a machine."

These are very potent words, and think about how modern-materialism is directly opposed to the foundation of our Constitution based on God-Given rights. And think about why the Lefty-communist ideology does so much to try to remove God from our society. Once the "God" is removed, we as people become "just part of the machine" and become subservient to the machine. The machine over people will be optimized at all costs....Abortion especially post birth the Governor of VA supports is maybe the most disgusting recent example in America of this. And history is full of them too with Hitler, the Great National Socialist, and Stalin, the quintessential communists each bringing death to million's as they put the Godless-"machine" above all else.
I believe this as well. I thing that is why Soros and his cronies are causing this mass immigration. At the end of the day I believe God along with all religion will be destroyed. The end game being one world and we are not going to like it. A good read is George Orwell's book 1984. Another book that should be required reading is Unintended Consequences.

Bloomberg running for president, now that is a sorry state of affairs....
Old 11-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
Who was around in 1959? I wasn't born yet (born: 1961) but my older sisters were. My dad got transferred with IBM in upstate New York to (I think) Manchester, NH to assist with revamping their electronics division up there, which is why I was born in NH and not NY like my older sisters.

Anyway, I remember stories of my dad and my uncle (who already lived in NH) driving around in an old Chevy pickup truck with an Ithaca shotgun in the rear window. My uncle also kept a 1911 .45ACP also in the same pickup.

No problems.
No concerns.
Nobody freaked out.
Nobody called the cops.
Nobody was all anti-gun liberal nut cases.

WHAT HAPPENED?
I'm from northeast MA and southern New Hampshire. To get to one of our homes meant crossing from MA to NH, then 100 ft later back into MA up the driveway, onto the front lawn that was in NH and into the home which was in MA. I think the barn was in NH. All in a distance of about 500 ft.

I grew up in the days of Governor Thompson and William Loeb running the Manchester Union Leader. They wouldn't recognize the state.

My answer may be a bit more circuitous and I didn't think of it on my own. But I think it has merit.

The invention of "The Pill". In effect, planning pregnancy.

Prior to the pill women as a practical matter couldn't be relied upon in the workplace. Because (literally) God only knows when they were going to become pregnant and leave. Unless a woman was single - then they became teachers. So, moms stayed at home and raised their kids. I think it was a structure that promoted responsibility. Not perfect, but not too bad either.

When one plans for something, a deliberate effort rather than happenstance, they value it more highly. Consider the effect of that when having children is concerned. It's the "Ikea Effect" on steroids. This isn't to say moms and dads previously didn't value their kids, but they had an acceptance that just as the kids came into the world haphazardly that bad things could happen to them too. So, I got a BB gun when I was a kid. I learned to swim by jumping into that damned cold water in East Sandwich. Sure, he wants to ride a horse or a bike - have at it. Step out of the way when the Lawn Dart returns to earth ….

Compared to the precious little bundle they planned for, often the ONLY kid they planned for, and the efforts they make to ensure the kid makes it past 18 on this planet. Helmets, seat belts, warnings on all sorts of devices. And dare the teachers or neighbors or cops criticize their kid - no way. And what does that do to the observant little rug-rat? He's special, he's learning self-esteem rather than self-control and public responsibility.

Compare what would have happened to you or I if the cops or a teacher told mom and dad we misbehaved with what happens today. Responsibility vs validation. It all goes back to the emotional investment made by the parents, from the start, with their planned family.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:02 PM

Here's another thought regarding the 2A and 60 years ago or whenever, versus today's world....

Let's take me for example, right now: Nov 11th 2019 (Veteran's Day).
I drive a school bus for a job, as I can't live on my USCG retirement (I was an enlisted puke, and not a commissioned officer). So, I see kids from Kindergarten all the way 11th and 12th grade day in and day out all throughout the school year. I go in and out of various schools also (my name badge/ID gets me in all over the county). I see the curriculum the teachers are teaching, I hear it from the kids and the various homework assignments. IT SURE WASN'T WHAT I LEARNED WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL!!

As a school bus driver, did you know we are required to squash any and all talk of firearms, guns, etc.. on the school bus? We are required to write up the disciplinary form on the particular kid and turn it in!

I mean, it's utterly ridiculous!! If a 14 yr old middle school kid started talking to me and saying, "Hey, Mr. Butch (they all call me "Mr. Butch") did you know my dad took me out to a farm over the weekend, and I shot a .22 rifle?" According to school/county policy, I am to write up and report the kid for saying that! Pfffffftttt... I don't think so!! **IF** a kid talked like that on my school bus, I'd be interested and answer him! I'd be like, "That's awesome! Did you shoot a Marlin or a Ruger 10/22? Did you use open sights or did it have a small 4x32 scope mounted on it?" But then... knowing the liberalism invading our school systems, the boy would probably get suspended, and I'd get fired, because both of us were talking about shooting firearms.

Sad times we live in today...
Old 11-12-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
At the end of the day I believe God along with all religion will be destroyed.
I know you didn't mean it literally, but God cannot be destroyed. If you read Romans 1 you can almost see it on the news, "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;". God turns His back on people when they deliberately turn away from Him.

I read recently that in 1970 55% of American families attended church regularly, which is now down to 20%. I submit that the deliberate ignorance of eternal judgment has eroded all semblance of personal responsibility from within the minds of a large percentage of Americans.
So, "I'm thirteen years old, dad left and I hate mom because she is going nuts trying to hold everything together, the jocks in school pick on me and I know where dad left his rifle, I may as well die in a blaze of glory and teach them all a lesson! After all, after I die I'll just become worm food anyway". The only other source of intimidation for such activity is fear of the Law, and everyone knows the law doesn't dig anyone up from the ground to punish them.

That said, as I was growing up (Graduation 1968) I saw my gun rights being stolen by evil men and women in high places, GCA 68 and it's list of ridiculous "points" relating to "Sporting use" should have caused a national outrage, but they got away with it, we let them, our parents let them, no one bothered to consider why the second amendment was in the Bill of Rights, had they done so it would have been denounced.

But we are aware now, aren't we?
416 stainless Sig P-238 & P938 triggers
Old 11-12-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
I know you didn't mean it literally, but God cannot be destroyed. If you read Romans 1 you can almost see it on the news, "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;". God turns His back on people when they deliberately turn away from Him.

I read recently that in 1970 55% of American families attended church regularly, which is now down to 20%. I submit that the deliberate ignorance of eternal judgment has eroded all semblance of personal responsibility from within the minds of a large percentage of Americans.
So, "I'm thirteen years old, dad left and I hate mom because she is going nuts trying to hold everything together, the jocks in school pick on me and I know where dad left his rifle, I may as well die in a blaze of glory and teach them all a lesson! After all, after I die I'll just become worm food anyway". The only other source of intimidation for such activity is fear of the Law, and everyone knows the law doesn't dig anyone up from the ground to punish them.

That said, as I was growing up (Graduation 1968) I saw my gun rights being stolen by evil men and women in high places, GCA 68 and it's list of ridiculous "points" relating to "Sporting use" should have caused a national outrage, but they got away with it, we let them, our parents let them, no one bothered to consider why the second amendment was in the Bill of Rights, had they done so it would have been denounced.

But we are aware now, aren't we?
Great post! I know God can't be destroyed but true believes can and will be persecuted. We can not deny our God whatever the consequences. David had a sling but we have an AR. At least that is my way of thinking. The reason I mentioned the book "Unintended Consequences" is it is a fiction based on facts. I got lost once reading the book and looked up the event online. There were the facts exactly as described in the book. I guess at the end of the day we will see who believes in God and who is willing to stand up for this country.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Adminstrator

What events in the book were facts?
Old 11-13-2019, 05:19 PM

I was a kid in South Florida. I use to walk across the county line (out of the city limits of Hallandale Broward/Dade line) and dove hunt after elementary school got out. I wonder how far a kid wearing a vest and carrying a shotgun would get today.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:20 PM

2 steps tops...

Old 11-13-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpistol View Post
When I was in junior high school I rode the school bus. During rabbit season the school bus driver arrived at the first stop (ours) with his friend seated in the front seat with an empty sack and an old shotgun. Picked up all the kids and dropped his friend at the furthest point (a field). Evening trip he picked him up. With a sack of rabbits. This was so normal as to not warrant any chatter. Doubt any parents ever knew. And would not have been bothered by it either.

During deer season shotguns were stored in school lockers to hunt after school. Normal.

In high school, the school rifle team were all issued school .22 rifles. Again, kept in lockers at school, with a coat, books etc. School rifle range was indoors over the auditorium.

Not of the above raised the slightest concern.

This was the rural NY that I remember.

Things changed.
Exactly the same in Vermont. Remember, we were the ONLY state with Constitutional Carry, then. I was born in 1943 and we just carried and had guns... no thought whatever... in school during deer season so we could hunt on our way home. The ONLY law we had was "can't carry a firearm with criminal intent". I do not remember any age limits and I don't remember learning to shoot. I have always been able to shoot and walk on snowshoes.
Then we went from 325,000 people and 425,000 cows in 1960 to 650,000 commie democrats from 'down country' by 1970 and that, as they say, was that. Now we are CA lite. Should have built a wall then... on OUR southern border.