Carrying.....not comfortable - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 08:26 PM

I carry my p938 in a sneaky Pete, best carry method i’ve found-for me and as said above the natives don’t have any idea plus it’s quite comfy. Highly recommended.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 PM

I carry a P365 a couple of ways, pocket, (which is what I bought it for), recently bought a Milt Sparks SS2, REAL easy to carry. I have a Pistol Wear belly band I've had for years, I can jog with it, carry under a T shirt with gym shorts. Waiting on a Stealth Gear tuckable holster to arrive, see how that works. I bought an Alien Gear to carry a full size M&P 9mm, not bad, no where as comfortable as any of my Milt Sparks stuff but it is tuckable, the ability to kind of tuck in a shirt is pretty cool. Should be pretty easy with the P365 and since I live in Florida, sweat is a real issue. BTW, the Pistol Wear has a sweat shield in it, no problem for the gun. I've worn it during a 5k run, gun stays dry.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:46 PM

I use a crossbreed super tuck. Never carry in the small of back. Mostly 4 o'clock position. What are you carrying for a weapon?
Old 11-08-2019, 09:36 PM

Very happy with my super tuck at 3 o'clock IWB.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:24 PM

If you are going to tuck in your shirt, then you should probably use one of the undershirts that has pockets for a small handgun in it. You could also use a special outer shirt that has a special slot for slipping your hand in quickly.

There are several brands out there. Here is one https://www.511tactical.com/holster-shirt.html

I use them for when I wear a shirt and tie too.

I almost forgot about that you could use a pocket holster too. They make what they call sticky holsters for going inside of a pocket. You can carry a small handgun easily that way. If you wear cargo pants with large pockets you can carry a larger handgun that way as well.

Last edited by earlwb; 11-08-2019 at 10:27 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 11-08-2019, 11:46 PM

Congrats on your weight loss.. With that in mind, IMO, you are the perfect candidate to carry appendix.

Iím a similar size, and carry my 365 appendix using a Dale Fricke Archangel.

Great, simple holster. Driving, sitting extended periods and of course walking is extremely comfortable carrying appendix. Not to mention the ease of draw.

Try it... I went from carrying at 5 oíclock to appendix and never looked back. The 365 is the perfect pistol for carrying this way.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
I don’t know what it is, but I just can seem to get a comfortable set up.

Yea, yea, yea...a gun should not be comfortable but comforting. But it’s hard when my back is getting jabbed.

Ideally, I would like an IWB option in the small of my back. But I spend too much Dan time messing with hooks, the specific position, and belt loops being different on pants....ugh.

Question....are there any IWB options that can work with a shirt tucked in? (I don’t think so). And what have you guys found to be the best option for IWB, small of back.

I am actually considering a new option from Alien Gear that is OWB but looks very comfortable....naturally would need to be covered by a shirt.

I am 5 9” and 175 lbs. recently lost 20 lbs and I can’t seem to get anything to work right.

May actually use a belly band.

Gun is a 365

I’ve been carrying concealed since 1971....Long time ago,.... was a S&W 4” 19 in a lined Bianchi Shadow Pancake...

A few years back, I got a S&W 340 M&P... it disappears and does not print in a Mika pocket Holster in Levi’s and the same in Dress pants.

He offers an IWB option also.

Check Robert Mika’s website, I’m sure he can get you squared away.

Can’t draw when seated from a pocket Holster and when under stress, you revert back to your training...My primary is a .40 Shield in a Fobus paddle, strong side....under a Tee shirt and Jeans, no printing. You have to go with what is comfortable and you will have Confidence in without fumbling or hesitation.

Last edited by Mike 139; 11-09-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:29 AM

I carry a Glock 19 between 2:30 and 3:00 in a single clip iwb holster supported by a gun belt. I'm 71 years old and I carry 99% of the time from when I get up to bedtime. I'm thinking of a 365 or something similar for when I get old

Joe
Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 AM

I suggest you check Simply Rugged. They offer some really nice holsters. Some can be worn IWB & OWB same holster. The Cuda with inside out straps is one & the Defcon3 is another. Both can be worn in several IWB positions due to the location of the straps.

www.simplyrugged.com

Last edited by Frank Vaccaro; 11-09-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:57 AM

I have carried a bunch of different rigs over the years.

Some more comfortable than others. For a hideout rig I will often carry a Colt 1903 Hammerless in and inside the waist band Don Hume holster that I can barely feel and it hides really well.

Lately I have been carrying a S&W model 67 K frame four inch revolver in an El Paso Saddlery Sky six rig which is quite comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01797.JPG  
Old 11-09-2019, 12:12 PM

You can’t find a comfortable place for a 365?! I thought you were talking about a 5” steel model....best holster I have found for iwb is a crossbreed supertuck. For a 365 I’d even consider aiwb. Small of back sucks for accessibility and draw. Imagine driving and needing to draw
Old 11-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
That's what I was thinking. I was expecting at least a Glock 19 or bigger.

OP have you considered in front of the hip? I carry my guns, even tucked (for church) in a Vedder light tuck at 2 o'clock, right over my right pocket. For comfort, body type and posture reasons I cannot conceal anything larger than your 365 behind my hip, but can comfortably carry just about anything right on front of the hip.

As for tucked, a little natural blousing at the waiseline makes tucked carry easier than untucked for me in many situations.
Agreed. I carry in the 2-2:30 position too, and it works well for concealability, access, and comfort. I normally carry a G19, P10C, or PPQ without issues.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:58 PM

I've been using Winthrop holsters (WWW.Winthropholsters.com) for a bunch of years now. I checked their site and they have holsters available for the 365. I carry an Officers model at 3:00 using their Covert (which is IWB) and after 5 minutes don't notice it anymore.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:02 PM

It takes some people a long time to achieve comfort when carrying. It did me. If you carry a wallet, you can carry an aluminum, J-frame in the other back pocket in a pocket holster, especially in jeans. The weight of your wallet balances it out somewhat. I did that for 4 years.

Then, I moved that J-frame to a belt holster just behind my right hip. You absolutely must use a gun-belt. You need a strong, thick, 1.25-1.5" wide gun-belt to distribute the weight of the gun and holster around your waist. A good leather pancake holster will pull the rig tight against the gun-belt to aid in weight distribution, and helps concealment.

A Glock 43 is another ultra-light, handgun that would be easy to carry. Once you eventually get used to the small, very light guns, you'll be able to move up the larger, heavier, more capable guns. It will happen, it just takes time. Just keep trying.

If you want a plastic holster, I'd recommend the "Light-tuck" from Vedder. Get it with the wide belt catches. It really distributes the weight and pulls the rig close to your body.

So, I know you want to downsize to 9 guns only. (I remember that from another one of your posts). However, I'd consider 10 guns (I love round numbers). Look at a small, very light carry gun to enable you to carry with reasonable comfort (G43, J-frame, etc.). I like OWB because no matter if my pants are tight, loose or something else, I can just change belt holes and the holster will feel the same. A big meal can make a IWB rig pretty snug. And with your weight loss, and body in transition, I'd wait on a IWB. Good luck and hang in there. It will eventually become comfortable, and comforting!
Old 11-09-2019, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
I am 5 9Ē and 175 lbs. recently lost 20 lbs and I canít seem to get anything to work right.

May actually use a belly band.

Gun is a 365
I'm smaller than you and can carry a P365 pretty much anywhere including IWB and pocket carry. Perhaps your threshold for comfort is a little too high? No matter what you do the gun isn't going to completely disappear like your keys do in your pocket. Also, if you like wearing tight-fitting pants or jeans you may run into issues. Try picking up a new pair that's a size larger and with a little more room in the hip and see if that helps any.

As for small of the back carry, it's fraught with risks but so is appendix carry. We all have to evaluate our own situation and plan accordingly.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:01 PM

I have done them all, Alien, Milt Sparks, IDK what others say the simple Galco sto-n-go is the best and easiest way to carry, soft, light, thin and damn near invisible to to carry and easy to clip off and on for any reason.

For guns like G43's and P365 take my word for it, it's the best, easiest and cheapest way to go.

Name:  Stow_N_Go_8_t.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  61.2 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	GESTO250.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	567496
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: ACW Brimstone, Les Baer Stinger, Benchmark Precision Bobtail, Vic Tibbets bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, NH T4, NH Counselor and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, DW Guardian, WC Sentinel Compact....and oh 3 mid 70's Colt Commanders out for a builds; NH, KGB and Mr. Yost.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:14 PM

I highly suggest a OWB carry at 4 o'clock. It conceals well and is as comfortable as it gets.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
I have done them all, Alien, Milt Sparks, IDK what others say the simple Galco sto-n-go is the best and easiest way to carry, soft, light, thin and damn near invisible to to carry and easy to clip off and on for any reason.

For guns like G43's and P365 take my word for it, it's the best, easiest and cheapest way to go.

Attachment 567494

Attachment 567496
They're not the most secure holsters out there, but I agree they're great for those times when you just want to clip something on before you run off to the grocery store for some milk or beer. I've got a pair of them, and between them they fit nearly every CCW pistol I have.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:24 PM

This gets my vote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
I highly suggest a OWB carry at 4 o'clock. It conceals well and is as comfortable as it gets.
I have been doing this for a long time. No beefs.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I carry my p938 in a sneaky Pete, best carry method iíve found-for me and as said above the natives donít have any idea plus itís quite comfy. Highly recommended.
Bwahahaha! On the rare occasion (twice?) I've seen one of those I had this irresistable urge to loudly ask, "WHAT KINDA GUN YOU GOT in the Sneaky Pete?" LOL

I carry a G19 in a Foxx, IWB holster. On my second one now in about ten years. First one lasted until I finally wore the backing through. Get the suede backing. Mine is very comfortable. It also carries well in drawstring gym shorts if you don't mind hitching them up occasionally like an old geezer.

Another IWB I like and carry is Concealment Express for my G43.

OWB unless I need retention I've gone to K-round holsters. All molded, holds the gun high and tight to your body. Though I seldom open carry, if I do it is Safariland, either ALS or the big duty holster, forgot the name.

1911's until recently rode in a leather thump strap holster, but about a year ago I went to K-round.

YMMV
Old 11-09-2019, 07:39 PM

I apologize for this but...

NO NO NO NO! Please do not carry a gun IWB (or any other way) in a soft sided leather or nylon holster with no retention or that doesn't totally cover the trigger. Enough people have shot themselves that we learned not to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post

Attachment 567494

Attachment 567496
Old 11-11-2019, 09:06 AM

I'm sorry but a P365 should be easy to carry. I don't carry mine often but when I do it is in a old Don Hume leather (I hate Kydex) clip on holster originally designed for my Kahr since sold after the P365. I agree a good belt is a must however in an emergency I can clip my P365 on sweat pants or shorts it is so easy to carry.

All that said I carry at about 2:00 most times with a larger gun IWB in T&T Mike's special which is sort of a VMII clone.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:06 PM

Clinger holster for my IWB regular 4 o'clock carry position. Hiked the Pedernales river yesterday with he wife and decided to bring out the SIG P225A1. Carrying that in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Each holster with each firearm is COMFORTABLE.

Could never carry small of back for the same reasons already posted. Would like to as the draw would probably be mechanically easier than drawing from 4. But, sitting in my truck it hits my spine and is painful.
Captain, Sons of the American Revolution
Old 11-13-2019, 05:25 PM

I find it most comfortable with holster shirt. And or drop leg style holster bag.
I carry 5Ē 1911 in a shoulder set up and my backup SW 645 in the bag.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:06 PM

Crossbreed supertuck might help you, but small of back carry is a terrible idea. Its not handy. Its not comfortable. 3 or 4 o'clock is the best place to carry, on your hip. And if you really need to carry, you should dress around the fact, and wear an un tucked shirt to cover the gun. It will work better should you actually need the gun, and conceal better as well.