M1 Garand Advice Please . . . - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-17-2019, 03:35 PM

M1 Garand Advice Please . . .

OK - I know that this is a 1911 forum, but its the only gun forum that I follow and I figure that a lot of you gentlemen know a lot more about the M1 than I ever will. I'm looking to add one to my collection and need a short course on what to look for, what to avoid, and what to expect to pay. Could someone point me to a good reliable source for a little education?
Thanks and kindest regards,
Tom
Old 10-17-2019, 04:10 PM

Hi, check out the CMP and the CMP Forum, also the Garand Collectors Association. Buy the book first, check out Bruce Canfield. Email me any time if you want to talk, regards, Mike

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/

http://forums.thecmp.org/

https://thegca.org/

My M1D sniper I got from the CMP:
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0003.JPG   DSCN0002.JPG  
Old 10-17-2019, 05:56 PM

You have a lot of research ahead of you but if you just want a good safe shooter I would try to score one off the CMP. They currently have some Service Grades, luck of the draw H&R or Springfield. 750 bucks, you won’t find such a nice one anywhere else for even close to that price. See my pics in the pic thread for reference on condition. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 06:27 PM

Have lately been toying with the idea of getting a Garand myself.CMP has some great deals but not wild about the idea of having to first shoot in a match,etc.(if that's still mandatory?).Was looking at the Select Grade at Orion 7(new barrel,stock,etc.),$1999 and after taxes,shipping,FFL transfer,etc. probably in the ballpark of $2300.Don't know if I'm ready to drop that amount of cash just yet but other than CMP they do get pricey.

http://www.m1garand.com/m1-garand/m1-garand-rifle-sale/

Just noticed quite a few over at Guns International also.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/se...6&start_row=51

Last edited by piratediverjefff; 10-17-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratediverjefff View Post
Have lately been toying with the idea of getting a Garand myself.CMP has some great deals but not wild about the idea of having to first shoot in a match,etc.(if that's still mandatory?).Was looking at the Select Grade at Orion 7(new barrel,stock,etc.),$1999 and after taxes,shipping,FFL transfer,etc. probably in the ballpark of $2300.Don't know if I'm ready to drop that amount of cash just yet but other than CMP they do get pricey.

How does this outfit compare to Fulton Armory??
Old 10-17-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
OK - I know that this is a 1911 forum, but its the only gun forum that I follow and I figure that a lot of you gentlemen know a lot more about the M1 than I ever will. I'm looking to add one to my collection and need a short course on what to look for, what to avoid, and what to expect to pay. Could someone point me to a good reliable source for a little education?
Tom

CMP website is www.odcmp.com. There you will find buyer requirements and what’s available for sale. If you can go to Anniston, you can pick out your Rifle and go to Talladega park, CMPs Range ,and shoot it.

There’s a guy Tom, forum name PH68, that goes to the store almost daily and gladly helps people pick out Rifles.

CMP sells Rifles returned from overseas from the MAP program....They are repaired as necessary to function and sold...Buying from Fulton or Orion 7, gets you a premium Rifle with like new USGI or USGI spec parts that are sold at a higher price point.

All depends what you’re looking for and willing to spend....The Collector Grade Garands sold out several years back and even the Correct Grades are selling @ 2k or more on the CMP auction page.

Last edited by Mike 139; 10-18-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mike View Post
Hi, check out the CMP and the CMP Forum, also the Garand Collectors Association. Buy the book first, check out Bruce Canfield. Email me any time if you want to talk, regards, Mike

What Uncle Mike said.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:10 PM

I bought mine from Fulton Armory. It had been restored, with the original 1943 receiver, but totally re-finished, and the other parts on the rifle were basically new. It looks fantastic, is an original WW2 Garand, serial number wise, but yes was completely refinished and looks like, and is, a new gun. So, the purists would be horrified, but the gun is basically new and ready for lots of shooting, and is a real, 1943 M1 Garand. I'm happy.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Tom
The “book of the Garand” by Major General Julian S. Hatcher is also essential reading for any M1 owner or fan. I believe it was published in 1948. It’s an absolutely fascinating book, and is surprisingly available digitally on the iTunes book store. Whether you get a collector type M1 or a refurbished shooter, it will surely become one of the most cherished rifles in your collection. Mine certainly are.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the info. guys.Would be nice to hit CMP but I'm stuck way out here in Commiefornia so will most likely have to order through a local dealer.A guy I work with got one through CMP about 10 years ago and just sold it last year to a local for $750(naturally when I wasn't looking for one).I may hit the guy up and see if he wants to part with it for a little extra cash.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Hi, there are so many exceptions to shooting a match it's ridiculous. Proof of Military service (DD 214),Law enforcement service, Concealed Carry permit, Senior Citizen and on and on. Just my 2 cents! the CMP is your privilege as an American Citizen so take advantage of it. It's not hard; just try to get the best grade you can afford. I got one that was out of time and they fixed it. I love the CMP program. DO IT!

The owner of Orion used to be an officer in the Garand Collectors Association (GCA). I bet he shoots an original. You can get a M1 Garand Special for $1250. The 30-06 is currently out but they have .308's available. They send it to your house for $1250 with free shipping. They do the background check and ship it direct to you. Here is the description...

"CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand IHC receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.
A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber." I have several of these if there's pitting it must be invisible, regards, Mike
Old 10-17-2019, 08:23 PM

Thanks Mike(and I'm an old bastid of 66 so guess I don't have to fool with the match shooting).
Old 10-17-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mike(and I'm an old bastid of 66 so guess I don't have to fool with the match shooting).

Hi Jeff, your just a young whipper snapper. I remember an old veteran tell a rookie, "Kid I got socks older than You" , regards, Mike
Old 10-18-2019, 05:29 AM

Old 10-18-2019, 08:30 AM

http://www.milsurps.com/
Old 10-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
I bought mine from Fulton Armory. It had been restored, with the original 1943 receiver, but totally re-finished, and the other parts on the rifle were basically new. It looks fantastic, is an original WW2 Garand, serial number wise, but yes was completely refinished and looks like, and is, a new gun. So, the purists would be horrified, but the gun is basically new and ready for lots of shooting, and is a real, 1943 M1 Garand. I'm happy.
I did something similar, sent them a service grade and told them make it perfect. It's nicer than an unissued one in all ways, mechanically and cosmetically. Not "correct" or original but in my opinion nicer overall
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 10-18-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mike View Post

Excellent links. And an excellent M1D!

When did you purchase your M1D?
Old 10-18-2019, 10:01 AM

"The M1 Garand Rifle" by Bruce N. Canfield is one of the greatest books ever written.

Every Garand collector/owner should get this book.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:48 AM

The CMP route gets my vote.

Hard to stay with just one, they grow on you.
Attached Thumbnails
Garands 003.JPG   windows7pics 001.JPG  
Old 10-18-2019, 12:22 PM

I bought a .308 Garand from the CMP in June. I bought the CMP special. New Criterion barrel, new wood.....and itbit a phenomenal shooter. With factory ammo it's an MAO gun. There is no pitting of the metal. Its as nice an M1as you'll ever find.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:19 PM

Thanks for all of the information folks! It looks like I have a lot to learn.

Best Regards,
Tom
Old 10-18-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken y View Post
Excellent links. And an excellent M1D!

When did you purchase your M1D?
Hi, a few years back they had some at the store. I've learned to strike while the iron is hot. I begged people to purchase a M1 Carbine when the CMP got returns from Italy, then Greece and Austria. Now that they are gone and the price has doubled it's too late, Mike
Old 10-25-2019, 01:09 AM

A few months ago, I found a Danish Garand with a VAR barrel at a local gun shop.

Very nice rifle, shoots really well after I got it disassembled and reassembled it correctly.

Someone had inserted the lifter backwards.

It just DID NOT look right, but I couldn't tell what the problem was.

I took it to a buddy of mine who's my Garand Guru.

He looked at it and admitted I was right that something wasn't right, then pointed it out to me.

So we disassembled it and re-assembled it.

Checked it with Go-No Go Gauges and it checked out fine with acceptable imprint from the firing pin.

It's a nice shooter with Danish Cartouches on it including a Brass Danish Seal.

Cost me $1,200.

Worth every penny.

I hope you have some luck like that finding a similar Garand.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:44 AM

Back in 2002, the CMP received returns from Denmark that the Danes had and they mfg. the VAR barrels they installed on these Rifles... These are top quality Match Grade barrels and when used with AMA ammo, also Danish , tough to beat.

I shot competition in the JCG matches back than....SA Danish return w/ VAR Bbl.. ....A Rifle I picked up @ CMP, when they had the Volunteer program....The course was 50 [email protected] 200yds...consistently shot mid 400s using AMA ammo...Some of the other Shooters that were very competitive, sent their Garands off to have Weinig Stocks installed with Kreiger Barrels to keep up....$$$

At the end of the day, you’re only competing against yourself, and injuries from work made it painful for me getting in and out of shooting positions. Now , the course of fire is 30 rounds.

Use Lubriplate to grease your Rifle, replace the Op Rod spring, Orion 7 has new USGI, and try some AMA ammo....Good luck with your Rifle.

Last edited by Mike 139; 10-25-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:04 PM

I have a CMP Special I bought from the Anniston store last spring. You can not tell its not a brand new gun. I got it in .308, new criterion barrel. Everything reparerized. Only thing is the crappy new stocks they put on them. But its a great shooting gun. You don't have to shoot a match.just be a member of an affiliate range or for 20 bucks join the Garand owners association and they will send one to your house. Don't forget to order more clips and a bayonet if you want. But nothing take a the place of going there to pick one out yourself. The range store is carrying lots now. The used to just have a few on the wall but now have 4 racks on the floor as well. Buy a gun, some ammo and get a range pass. They make you go to the 100 yard range first for sight in. Do well. There and you can move to the 200/600 yard range. The electronic targets are great. Instant feedback.

Don't forget two forms of I'd. Passport, Birth cert. DL. Ccncealed carry permit. Dd214. Its different from buying from a gun store but the are nice folks. The armorers who build them do duty in the store also.