Portable generator recommendation - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 AM

When I Retired, I did owner/Builder on our House.... I had the Electrician install a disconnect switch on the Meter Can. This on/ off switch is used when running a generator so when the Power comes back on , it doesn’t back feed and cause a fire or shock anyone working on restoring power.

I also had him install a 220 outlet on the Garage wall with a Circuit breaker in the panel that when the Breaker is On, it backfeeds the panel and I can choose what to power up.

FYI, before they attempt to re-connect, they shoot power down the line first that will short out your generator and prevent injury to their workers.

ALWAYS keep the Genset OUTSIDE when in use, some people don’t realize carbon monoxide can get in thru the garage. I had built a Plywood roof, two sides and a roof, to keep the rain off the Genset.

Reference Generators, Honda is top of the line. For a apt. /Small house, the 3K will run your fridge, fans, lights, They are Invertor generators which means they put out power evenly without surges, so your electronics can be used

For larger needs, like a House on a well, you need a minimum 5K . I bought a Coleman Powermate 20 years ago. It has a Yamaha single cyclinder cast iron 9 hp motor. Rated @ 5500.

We lived on this Generator for 2 weeks in 2004 when 3 Hurricanes in a row came thru.The key here is maintenance and fuel availability.

The bigger the gen set, the more fuel it uses. Mine would run all of 12 hours on a single tank, 5 gallons... It powered the pump(220) the Refrigerator, paddle fans lights and a window shaker a/c. ( not all at once)

For cooking, we used a Coleman gas stove, out on the screened porch.. Have to have my Coffee.
The tough part is hot water. When there’s no hot water, the Girls get evil... I flipped off all the circuit breakers, and turned on the one for the Water Heater and ran it a couple hours.....Hot water=happy Girls.

Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Neighbor next door has Kubota Diesel generator and large Diesel tank in a Quonset building.

That or whole house generator for extended use.

I had plenty of oil and changed it out and serviced the air fillter and used Stabil in the fuel. Generator sat in the shop until Irma...No power. Flipped disconnect on meter can, drug Gen. over to driveway, put fuel in and it started on 3rd pull...Making preps, getting power cable, etc. my neighbor called asking me if that was my Generator. I advised it was, and he advised Power was back.

Oh well, at least I know it still works. After it started and puffed out blue smoke, I plugged a drop light into the 110 outlet and it came on... the blue smoke was from putting oil into the cylinder and pulling the starter rope with spark plug out.

Bottom line... Buy the best you can afford, but be advised, the bigger you get the more Fuel it uses. A Quiet generator is much less likely to be stolen and people usually chain them down. Whatever you get, preventative maintenance is the key to longevity.

Also, and this is important, Do Not buy/ use regular gasoline. Get NON- Ethanol 90 Octane.. yes ,it more expensive, but it doesn’t attract moisture and doesn’t eat the rubber parts in your fuel system, which is the biggest cause of problems in small engines. I went to NAPA and replaced all fuel lines.

Reference Chain saws, I’ve got a Stihl that’s cut down and cut up lots of trees.

Last edited by Mike 139; 06-20-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:25 PM

This is what I have.

Completely satisfied with it. I run a fifty amp cable into my breaker box and I run my whole house. Burns a little more than one gallon per hour of diesel in my tractor. At any given time I generally have anywhere from 300 to 500 gallons of diesel on hand at any given time

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ct_36914_36914
Old 06-22-2019, 07:38 AM

My first, and so far only, generator was a small Champion 3500/4000. Put in about a half tank of gas with Stabil, ran it and put it away. Once, to twice, a year, I would haul it out, run it for about 5 minutes, then turn off the fuel valve and let it run dry. Thing ran like a top, even with the original fuel. I ended up giving it to my son when his power went out for 4 days.
So, now I am in the market for another one. I'm probably going to go up in size. I have a dual pack A/C, and a cooler. So, I can pick or choose what I can use for cooling. The A/C needs about 7000 watts, while the cooler would need much less. However, the heater part of the A/C dual pack wouldn't draw much power so I may have to use that during cold spells.
PG&E has put the word out that in bad weather conditions, they will be depowering their transmission lines, to prevent fires. Some towns have been told that they may be out of power for up to 5 days. While I don't think that would happen here, it doesn't hurt to be prepared.
So, I am looking for something to handle the TV, fridge, chest freezer(probably needs to be only run for a short time once a day), cooler/dual pack. A 7000 would probably suffice, but still working that out.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:10 AM

Lets not forget the context of the OP's request.

He said:
Quote:
because my apartment got hot as balls
Large whole house items, 7-10kW singles, probably are too big for apartment use.

A small Predator and a 12kBTU portable AC unit should suffice for escaping the heat during a power outage. The place probably also has city water which never goes dead on psi, so even a portable swamp cooler will help as long as the air is not super humid. Heck, you can hang thin towels from shower curtain rod and wet them, then have a fan blow on them, this will reduce air temps, but wont cool a whole apartment.

As they say, many ways to be creative, and the more lazy and intolerant we are, the more $$ you need to throw at the problem
Old 07-24-2019, 05:55 PM

I picked up a one owner, older Hobart gas engine powered welder for $400. Itís a 100% duty cycle, 4,000 watt generator. We lost power for over 7 days in a freak snow storm. It kept or fridge and freezer going. I have a Coleman 3500 watt generator to run my Keurig coffee maker. I need my coffee fix every morning before I get grumpy.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 07-24-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
I picked up a one owner, older Hobart gas engine powered welder for $400. Itís a 100% duty cycle, 4,000 watt generator. We lost power for over 7 days in a freak snow storm. It kept or fridge and freezer going. I have a Coleman 3500 watt generator to run my Keurig coffee maker. I need my coffee fix every morning before I get grumpy.
Love it. In the midst of outage you opt to make sure your Keurig has juice. Nothing wrong with that.

Many years ago when power would be out for days I was accustomed to blankets, fireplace, candles, and a perk pot on a mini Coleman stove
Old 07-24-2019, 10:05 PM

I just picked up a lightly used Champion 9000, Dual Fuel. I think that it can run my roof mount dual pack A/C, and probably a couple of other things.
I got an identical generator for my son. Which means I can get my little Champion 4000 back.
The current plan, subject to change based on actual experience, is that the little one will run the Keurig coffee maker, frig, freezer, and cellphone charger in the morning. It uses much less fuel.
The big generator will get run in the afternoon to handle the A/C, and other things.
Unfortunately, I can't hook into the house wiring, due to my Sylvania Zinisco circuit breaker box. Which is considered a fire hazard. So, as soon as I can change that, I can use the house wiring rather than drop cords/extension cords.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Some questions for the OP. You said you live in an apartment. 1st 2nd or 3rd floor? Running a generator on a 2nd floor balcony will sound like a freight train.

Do you have a way to secure the generator so it does not walk away? After hurricane charley many were stolen right out of peoples driveways.

Have you thought about the noise? You may be buttoned up in your room with a window unit while your neighbors are sweating to death with the windows open listening to your generator.

Without knowing the layout of your residence these were just a few things that came to mind.

Now back to your original question. Predator from HF and Stihl .

Always buy the most wattage you can afford.
Honda was recommended for the EFI and quiet operation as it WILL be on my balcony. But, truth-be-told, I don't give a rats ass about my neighbors...most are dope-smoking monkeys that stink up my apartment with their skunk weed coming through the ventilation system, and wake my ass up with their hibbity-jibbity music booming out their "whips" as they drive through the lot. Fu*k em. As soon as my lease is up I'm moving to Ft Worth.

I have an attached 2-car garage for gas/generator storage.

I just want to be able to run an AC window/portable unit, an oscillating fan and some lights.

Last edited by Flight Medic; 08-01-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Honda was recommended for the EFI and quiet operation as it WILL be on my balcony. But, truth-be-told, I don't give a rats ass about my neighbors...most are dope-smoking monkeys that stink up my apartment with their skunk weed coming through the ventilation system, and wake my ass up with their hibbity-jibbity music booming out their "whips" as they drive through the lot. Fu*k em. As soon as my lease is up I'm moving to Ft Worth.

I have an attached 2-car garage for gas/generator storage.

I just want to be able to run an AC window/portable unit, an oscillating fan and some lights.
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel

I don't miss my days as an apartment dweller. I have gotten used to living on 115 acres and could not go back.

Hope your next address has more elbow room.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:38 PM

What's the amp draw on the window AC unit? A 230v unit would pull less amps and is a tad more efficient than a 120v AC unit. But, add up the wattage and get a gen that can provide that power at about 85-90% continuous max of the gen.

Those harbor freight gens are fairly quiet too.

But know this, I don't know any gens that are ~7500+ kW that are "quiet" like the tiny Honda gens you see powering a radio and some lights.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Most of the generators are made in China regardless of the make...for an apartment, 5500 should be enough but mine is a 10k. Get one with electric start, makes life easier.
Chainsaw, stihl has good saws, grab an extra blade or 2.
Power outages suk, we had 2-3 here that lasted 1 week.
Hope you get back up and running soon.

Almost forgot: Get extra gas cans, Iíve got 5-6....generators are worthless without gas.... And getting gas is tough when areas go down.
^^Good advice right here^^

Gas cans for sure! When the power is out the gas pumps stop working!

I recommend buying a generator that has greater output than you think is your minimum. Running any piece of equipment at or near its limits is never a good idea; having a little more capacity allows us to work our machines with less stress over the long haul.

Another suggestion is using deep cycle batteries for back-up power. I started some years ago with a 100AH 12V deep cycle battery, 800W power inverter 12VDC-to-120VAC, 50W PV solar panel with 12V charge controller, all mounted on a hand cart for easy storage and moving around. Used that for camping for years, running LED lights, powering cell phones, running the Mr. Coffee machine, etc. Few years ago the power went out during a Super Bowl game while I was at my club. I ran home, brought my cart there, fired up the TV and cable box for several hours (making me the most popular guy in the club, never had to buy a beer for weeks!).

Later on I purchased a camp trailer with two 12V deep cycles on board, 2000W power inverter, so I added my existing set-up and 200W capacity of PV solar panels. That ran the blower on my forced air furnace, stereo, lights, coffee maker, etc, all I wanted and a few hours of sunlight returned me batteries to full charge (or just fire up my truck and recharge via the wiring harness plugged into the truck, takes about 30 minutes or so when the sun isn't working so well).

Now with the camper parked next to my house I can run good 10-ga. extension cord into the house and take care of emergency lighting, furnace blower, and other necessities. Works well for overnight, then solar charging next morning if needed, or plug into my truck and recharge rapidly.

I have not used my generator for several years other than test runs twice per year.