New Kobra Carry blank slide - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-14-2019, 05:50 PM

New Kobra Carry blank slide

I ordered my Kobra Carry back in August. I just went to pick it up and was EXTREMELY disappointed to find that the slide was blank on both sides.

When you go to Ed Brown's website, all the pictures have "Custom by Ed Brown" on the right side of the slide. I filled out a VERY detailed order form, and was never given the option to delete the custom engraving (or stamping).

My guy said Brown just decided to stop stamping the guns. It seems like they need to make that clear on their exhaustive order form.

They also need to update their website. You can click on it right now and see the custom stamp on the Kobra Carry. If I go to their site and order a gun, shouldn't it look like the guns they are displaying?

We are going to call tomorrow and see if I can send them the slide and have it fixed.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Is this "common knowledge" that I somehow missed?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:21 PM

How well do you trust "my guy". Sounds like he ordered a naked slide for you. If you order on Ed Brown's web-site, there is an option to drop the custom by, but someone would have told Brown to do that.

Did you see his order to Brown for your gun?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:28 PM

I think "Your guy" screwed the pooch on your order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moad View Post
How well do you trust "my guy". Sounds like he ordered a naked slide for you. If you order on Ed Brown's web-site, there is an option to drop the custom by, but someone would have told Brown to do that.

Did you see his order to Brown for your gun?
He's HIGHLY recommended on this forum. Great reputation.

Maybe a mistake. He says it will be fixed at his cost, but that involves taking the slide off and sending it in. Maybe that will work.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnjim View Post
My guy said Brown just decided to stop stamping the guns.
The statement above does not insinuate a mistake was made. Anyone representing Brown would have known this was not the case.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 AM

We checked the order form. There was an option for a blank slide, but we didnít check that box. Brown either messed up, or they just decided to stop stamping their name on the slides. Iíll let you guys know what I hear from them.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
We checked the order form. There was an option for a blank slide, but we didnít check that box. Brown either messed up, or they just decided to stop stamping their name on the slides. Iíll let you guys know what I hear from them.
What finish is the gun?
Either way with Brownís reputation Iím sure they will make it right for you.
This is a simple fix, much easier than the other way around. Had you ordered a naked slide and it came stamped it would be harder to correct. Now all they have to do it stamp it, possibly refinish it if needed and send it back. Rest easy.
COTEP#782
Old 02-15-2019, 08:39 AM

If this box wasn't marked, seems to me it is an EB error, not your guy's.
__
__No "Custom by Ed Brown" engraving ($0)
Old 02-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Scott View Post
If this box wasn't marked, seems to me it is an EB error, not your guy's.
__
__No "Custom by Ed Brown" engraving ($0)
It's either an error, or they implemented a new policy of leaving the slides blank. I'm hoping it was just a mistake. Now I'm wondering what other mistakes they could have made.

I've been dreaming about this gun for 10 years. It was pretty disappointing to see it come in looking generic. I guess some guys like it that way.

I'm sure it's fixable, but it seems like they could be a little more considerate considering the price we pay for these things.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:17 AM

Stop worrying about "other" mistakes. An Ed Brown build is top notch. Many guys order deleted markings. You still have Ed Brown on the frame for bragging rights, no one will mistake it for anyone else. Having it again on the slide only gives you Ed Brown twice on the same side.
"My guy said Brown just decided to stop stamping the guns" I hadn't heard that, but the new EVO has no slide markings.
Unless you are dying to have a billboard slide, most would be pleased with what you received. I have some both ways, and don't care one way or the other. I don't see it when I'm shooting and it makes zero difference in fuction.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:18 PM

My Browns are ordered with blank slides.
For some reason, markings don’t bother me on the polymer guns I own. There is just something about a clean looking 1911.

Love the look of the new, small KC9 offering by Brown. I don’t even mind the external extractor.
I’m just waiting patiently for a few different features offered on that gun.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
Unless you are dying to have a billboard slide, most would be pleased with what you received. I have some both ways, and don't care one way or the other. I don't see it when I'm shooting and it makes zero difference in fuction.
When I order a custom gun with PAGES of details going in to the build...I don’t care what “most guys would be pleased with”!
Old 02-15-2019, 04:06 PM

Beginning in 2018 we moved to leaving the model name off the slide per customer request. Almost every order was asking for the slide to remain unmarked. In this case it should have been marked Custom by Ed Brown and arrangements have already been made to rectify the oversight. Sorry for any inconvenience but trust me when I say it will be corrected.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
When I order a custom gun with PAGES of details going in to the build...I donít care what ďmost guys would be pleased withĒ!
I have a bakers dozen of Ed Brown (13). Ordered with all kinds of different options depending on the pistol. The only thing standard on all is a 3.5 trigger. When you get it back marked as you wish, shoot the snot out of it and enjoy the quality and craftsmanship they put into thier pistols. You will be very pleased.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:00 PM

My early Kobra Carry only says "KOBRA" on the slide. Now that's confusing to some folks.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brown Products View Post
Beginning in 2018 we moved to leaving the model name off the slide per customer request. Almost every order was asking for the slide to remain unmarked. In this case it should have been marked Custom by Ed Brown and arrangements have already been made to rectify the oversight. Sorry for any inconvenience but trust me when I say it will be corrected.
If thatís the case, you need to update the pictures on your website. The Kobra Carry and most other guns have the markings on the slide in those pictures.

I do hope we can get this rectified.

Thank you very much for responding. I have been dreaming about this gun for 10 years and finally ďpulled the triggerĒ for my 50th birthday.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:30 PM

Double post.

Tim

Last edited by Houser; 02-16-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:34 PM

I do not fault the OP for wanting exactly what he ordered and being disappointed when it didn't arrive as expected. And even more because of the premium price these things cost new.

I just checked Ed Brown's "Custom Build" page which has been updated since I looked last, and there's a $0 option to eliminate the "Custom by Ed Brown" roll mark but no mention of the model name roll mark. This would imply that at least the manufacturer roll mark on one side is standard even if the model name as shown in the catalog pictures is not. Interestingly, when looking through the pictures just now I did not find one of the "Legacy" Kobra Carry with the model roll mark, although I did find pictures of the full size Kobra and all of the Executive series models pictured with their respective roll marks.

As for the model name roll mark, this is the first I've heard of the total elimination of the model name roll mark, and I've followed this forum regularly for a long time.

Although there are many who prefer a "naked slide", and I myself sometimes think that it may indeed be more attractive that way, when I ordered my Executive Carry many years ago I made the deliberate decision to keep all the roll marks such that the model (which at that time was a little more expensive than other versions) would be instantly identifiable to others less familiar with the options. I do not regret that decision.

With the elimination of the model roll mark, I suppose that Ed Brown has cut costs and streamlined production so that now any slide in stock can be used on any model of a given length.

Having said all of that, I will concur with others that, unless Ed Brown has changed something else we don't yet know about, once the Kobra Carry returns from Ed Brown it will be everything the OP had hoped for.

Tim

Last edited by Houser; 02-17-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:29 AM

I would be smiling if all 1911's arrived in my safe with naked slides. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:59 PM

It's not shocking that Brown, or anyone else, could make a mistake. It happens.

As for the website, that's marketing and I wouldn't expect them to display guns without the Brown roll marks on them.
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: ACW Brimstone, Les Baer Stinger, Benchmark Precision Bobtail, Vic Tibbets bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, NH T4, NH Counselor and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, DW Guardian, WC Sentinel Compact....and oh 3 mid 70's Colt Commanders out for a builds; NH, KGB and Mr. Yost.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:51 AM

You didn't mention the caliber. My Kobra Carry 9mm stainless has "Custom by Ed Brown" on the right side but the left side was left blank. I did not buy the gun new so I have no idea how it was ordered but I seem to recall a conversation with Justin, in which he said that the 9mm guns usually were not marked as a Kobra Carry.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:30 AM

To update this.....I was the guy LOL

Brown dropped the 'model name' engraving on the slides quite a bit ago.....this is part of a bit of a new direction in marketing their guns, in other words, bit more emphasis on ordering by options and less on 'packages'.

So unless you REQUEST that a model name be engraved on the slide ( except for CA Approved guns, they still do those as always ), the left side of slide will be clean.

Custom by Ed Brown IS STILL STANDARD, so you have to order it as a option to have it deleted. No problem to do so if a customer wishes, and no change in cost, it just has be be specified.

For the recorded, this build WAS ordered correctly as to Custom by Ed Brown, I have confirmed this.

Small issue at Brown, they took care of it promptly and with care for customer satisfaction as I knew they would.

I have made mistakes in the past, no doubt I will again in the future.....just not this time. LOL

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Old 03-06-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post

Brown dropped the 'model name' engraving on the slides quite a bit ago.....this is part of a bit of a new direction in marketing their guns, in other words, bit more emphasis on ordering by options and less on 'packages'.

So unless you REQUEST that a model name be engraved on the slide ( except for CA Approved guns, they still do those as always ), the left side of slide will be clean.

Custom by Ed Brown IS STILL STANDARD, so you have to order it as a option to have it deleted. No problem to do so if a customer wishes, and no change in cost, it just has be be specified.

For the recorded, this build WAS ordered correctly as to Custom by Ed Brown, I have confirmed this.

Small issue at Brown, they took care of it promptly and with care for customer satisfaction as I knew they would.

I have made mistakes in the past, no doubt I will again in the future.....just not this time. LOL
LOL.......when I saw the post regarding "dealer will take care off it at his cost", the light bulb went off that it was you! Only you would do that Jerry.

Also, thank you for finally painting a very clear picture on what has changed and how to order in the future. Hoping to get my second EB from you again.

We'll talk soon!

Take care and thanks for all you do!
Old 03-12-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post

No way was I going to "call you out" on this forum. Your reputation is too good.

Still trying to convince my wife that the KC-9 is necessary. She said "but you bought the NICE one, why do you need a cheaper model in 9mm???"

Sucks when she comes at me with logic. I'll convince her pretty soon!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
No way was I going to "call you out" on this forum. Your reputation is too good.

Still trying to convince my wife that the KC-9 is necessary. She said "but you bought the NICE one, why do you need a cheaper model in 9mm???"

Sucks when she comes at me with logic. I'll convince her pretty soon!
lol! Funny! Just tell her you are learning to dual wield, like in the movies, and need a fine second gun for when you leap over a car with both blasters blazing!