Breaking-In EDC Holster - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-28-2018, 07:20 AM

Breaking-In EDC Holster

What tips do you have for breaking in a new EDC holster? I have my EDC X9 holster from Palmetto. The gun sits very tight as it is a new holster. But, the draw its tight.

I need a few ideas to break it in for an easier draw.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2018, 07:45 AM

From The Milt Sparks website:
https://www.miltsparks.com/questions.php

"Tightness in a new holster is not uncommon and is much preferable to the alternative. If the draw is a little stiff at first, it is recommended that you work with it to see if it doesn't loosen up with a bit of use. About 25 to 50 presentations should be a good indicator of whether the holster will break in sufficiently on its own or if maybe a little blocking out of the leather is in order. There are many variables as to why a holster would be excessively tight ranging from the texture of your guns finish, to slight changes in climate or humidity from where the holster is made. Regardless of the reason, a too tight holster can easily be remedied by the end user with a method we have been recommending to customers for over 30 years.

To block out (stretch) your new holster first UNLOAD your pistol or revolver and place the gun into the 4 mil plastic bag that your new holster was packaged in. Then carefully insert the bagged gun all the way into the holster (do not! I repeat, do not!! wet or spray the holster with any solution to aid in the stretching process). The blocking out process as described above will in no way harm the crisp detailed molding of your new holster, nor will it ruin its retention qualities. It serves simply to stretch the leather a few thousands of an inch larger than the gun. The amount of stretching time needed for satisfactory results range from a just a few minutes to overnight."
Old 12-28-2018, 07:45 AM

Wrap the gun in a plastic bag and insert it in the holster for 24 to 48 hours. Then, still wrapped in plastic, draw and holster the weapon 20 to 30 times. The holster should begin to adapt to your gun. DO NOT use any lotions or lubricants on the leather!!
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018, 07:47 AM

Wrap your X9 in the bag the holster came in and insert the gun in the holster. Let it sit overnight and you should be fine. I believe the term is blocking out your holster.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:34 AM

Just got a new VMII for of all things a P238. It was extremely tight and I had to work it quite a bit just to be able to draw it. I did not block it with a plastic bag (might have been easier) just worked it a bunch. It is still just a touch tight but very, very nice.

Sometimes new quality leather holsters take a little work. They are far better than a loose new leather holster.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 12-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Breaking in a holster is the same whether one has a Wilson or a Glock. So I'm moving this to the holster section for more exposure. But the few replies above should be adequate.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:43 PM

First and foremost, do some presentations. Like 500 or so. Then see where it's at. If it's still tight, grab a plastic bag like Sparks suggests. You could also try a holster lubricant like Mitch Rosen Leather Lightning or KG-9. Be VERY careful with treating the leather with anything that will actually soften the leather. You absolutely do not want that. The two products that I've listed are fine for leather.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:55 AM

You could try wrapping the weapon in a layer of wax paper and leaving it in the holster for several hours,
Old 12-30-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Wrap the gun in a plastic bag and insert it in the holster for 24 to 48 hours. Then, still wrapped in plastic, draw and holster the weapon 20 to 30 times. The holster should begin to adapt to your gun. DO NOT use any lotions or lubricants on the leather!!
I prefer to use wax paper. For me I wrap the gun in wax paper, insert in the holster and leave it there for a couple hours, that is usually enough. Non and then it takes a couple of times.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:11 PM

Using a plastic bag along with actually wearing the holster for a bit works for me. I have used wax paper for a couple of draws, the wax transfers to the REALLY tight spots, 'speeds' up the break in process.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:41 PM

I have used some of the new kind of kitchen cling wrap. Molds very nicely to the gun and can be wrapped as lightly or heavily as you want.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 12-30-2018, 07:03 PM

There may be better options than wax paper but wax paper certainly does help.

In my experience the best way is just to wear the holster as much as I possibly can. That seems to work out with ease of draw and still maintain the good retention of the holster.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:39 PM

Some understanding of the nature of leather holsters and manufacturing processes may help in understanding this subject.

Leather is a fibrous material consisting of animal hide that has been processed to preserve it as a usable material. Leather fibers are naturally flexible and (with proper tanning techniques) can be molded into shapes that can be retained over long use. A well-fitted holster is made from vegetable-tanned leather that is closely formed to the intended handgun by the wet-molding process, during which the leather is intentionally stretched and molded to final shape. While damp the leather can be stretched, but as it dries it tends to contract somewhat.

A newly made holster that is very closely fitted to the handgun will almost certainly require a break-in period. During the early stages of use the leather can be expected to stretch under force as the handgun is inserted and withdrawn. During long-term use the leather can be expected to react to the forces applied, and some stretching will become permanent. If the holster was initially fitted so that no break-in use was required the stretching common to use will result in a loose fit over a relatively brief time. If the holster was initially fitted very closely the break-in use will result in a fit that remains as close as possible over long-term use.

The best method of break-in is simply wearing the new holster with the handgun inserted for several hours at a time over the course of several days. This allows the leather holster to accommodate itself to the handgun, the user's belt, and the user's body profile. Repeatedly inserting and drawing the handgun can be expected to produce the desired effects over the break-in period.

What some others have described as "blocking" the holster by placing the (unloaded) handgun in a plastic bag, then forcing it into the holster, can be useful for accelerating the usual break-in period. This method should not be overdone, as the "blocking" induces stretching of the leather fibers that cannot be undone once it has occurred. A single thickness of 2-4 mil plastic bag material is fine, while multiple thicknesses may cause excessive stretching.

Another helpful method that I can recommend, but only AFTER the initial break-in period, is wrapping the handgun in kitchen plastic wrap (very thin), then applying wax (Johnsons Paste Wax or neutral shoe polish) to the plastic wrap, then inserting and withdrawing repeatedly in the holster. The wax will be transferred to the leather fibers at friction points, remaining there to serve as a lubricant during the draw. PLEASE NOTE: This is another technique that can be overdone, and cannot be undone afterward. What you are doing is exchanging retention (security) for accessibility (ease of draw), so a little bit may be good but too much could be bad.

Overall, the best technique is simply wearing the holstered handgun for extended periods over several days, allowing your body heat and belt tensioning to allow the holster to achieve its final (and best) fit naturally. Forcing things can have negative consequences.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 PM

I have used wax papers wrap em around leave em on over night till ur desired retention .. i also many times with a new tight holster I wear em around while in the house wrapped up with the wax paper !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk