1911Forum banner

My new Ronin has a blem on the slide

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  DubfromGa 
#1 ·
I am conflicted I'm not sure if I should send this back they have it reblued or is it just such a minor thing that I shouldn't worry about it please take a look at the photo

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
OMG, that is terrible! after seeing that idiot stretch, I feel a lot better about my small blem they just obviously missed it when they were polishing, That's why I'm not really sure if it's worth sending then. One good thing if I do send it in maybe they'll polish it even more and make it look really shiny cuz I love a blue slide that is super polish.

#5 ·
For the money spent here I think the slide thing is simply picking nits, now if you’d spent several thou on it then I think it would be an issue. Luckily SA has one of the best, most accommodating service depts there is, give em a call & see what they say.

The idiot scratch, that’s inexcusable IF it came from the factory that way, luckily being a stainless gun makes it easy to fix it.

Let us know how it turns out.

#9 ·
I agree with one of the posters that the pistol is well worth what they're asking for it. I guess I'm just old school if you do a job you should always do it right. I don't know how it could past quality control, same thing with the one with the idiot scratch, how can they let pistols go, If I woulda saw that at the gun shop, I would have probably passed on it and took the other Ronin pistol that they had, but one thing I liked about this pistol isn't had unique serial number.
Also I've decided not to monkey with it because like others have said few years down the road will be more marks on.

#10 ·
The only person that can answer your question is you . What can you live
with ? Me ... I'd be shooting the crap out of it . I would not care . That's me

#13 ·
Your money, your call. It would bug me on a brand new pistol but probably not enough to go through the hassle of returning it even though SA customer service is supposed to be pretty good. As others have said, after a year or so of wear from everyday use you probably won't even see it anymore.

#14 ·
You know, I had a rub on my slide that was a little ugly. I gave them a call ad they were as ice as all get out about it. The nice lady asked for a pic of it. Once she saw the pic she immediately said, "That isn't very pretty, is it?" and sent me a Return Authorization and paid shipping both ways. They did a fine job ad it was a great experience. They seem to care deeply about their customer's concerns.

Bob

#15 ·
I can't tell from the photos whether it's cosmetic only or if a machining error scrubbed off the lower corner of the slide.

Over the prior 12 months or so I've noticed a decline in the number of posted complaints about SA quality issues in newly delivered pistols. I was going to start a thread about it after receiving a newly minted TRP Operator. It has been flawless.

It seems, based upon what appears to be a decline in quality control complaints, that SA has made a successful effort to increase QC.

If it bothers you in the least I would send it back. Give them a chance to make it right and maybe reduce the chances of it happening again.

IMHO....

#16 ·
I really can't even see the 'blemish' in the original post's photo. Mine came new in box with a slight idiot scratch also, but I really don't care. The gun shoots fantastically, and has run flawlessly with reloads, factory Federal Hydra Shoks and Factory FMJ 230gr. It is my favorite 1911 to shoot in my collection.

They're guns. You stick them in holsters, run them, use them hard but do not abuse them. I get it that people want to keep their firearms in nice condition. I also get that people want them to look nice out of the box, but the OCD-ing over every little blemish, or scratch on a working gun has always perplexed me.

My copy of the Ronin was $699 plus sales tax. Unbelievable value at that price point. The only thing I had to do to mine was swap the thin grips for regular sized ones, replaced the grip screw bushings in order to accomplish that and replaced the hex head screws (which I can't stand for practical reasons) for slotted grip screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.