Colt AR 15 SP1 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-29-2018, 08:35 AM
CLASSIC12 CLASSIC12 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,016
Colt AR 15 SP1

Been wanting one for as long as I can remember, something about all the movies involving the original M16, the unmistakable shape, triangular hand guard etc..

And I missed quite a few

Didnít buy this 1977 one in 2013, too expensive at 2 grands and weirdly tricked out with accessories I had no use for



In 2015 I didnít buy this one, twice. First saw it at a gun shop that was closing down, for 1200. A bit later a private seller was advertising it. The SP1 marking was re-stamped as 001, and that bothered me.



Earlier this year I saw this 1976 SP1 at the local gun range that has a gun shop too. The scope is a Chinese copy 4X magnification. Asking price was $ 1350. Condition ok but not great. Coincidentally I already saw this gun for sale at a bankruptcy forced auction back in 1999 (I bought a Beretta 93 r then).









They allowed me to test fire it (5 shots only). Funny how light this old thing is. I felt it wiggling at every shot. Accuracy was not affected however. This is 5 shots offhand at 50 m.



I thought I needed to think it over, sleep over it.

And there was another nice one coming up at an auction a few weeks later. Probably in better condition, Iíve bought several guns from this auction house and was never disappointed.

When I returned to the range / shop, the gun had just been sold and was being packed.

Well the auction gun then. A 1972 model with original Colt 3X scope and sling. Starting price $ 850.





I was really keen to acquire this one, and set a limit to myself at $ 1700 (I always set a limit price before hand, otherwise things get out of hand for me).

I was bidding online, but someone wanted it more than me, it went for $ 2050.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-29-2018, 08:44 AM
CLASSIC12 CLASSIC12 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,016
Yesterday I was back at the gun range where I had tested the 1976 one. They had just brought in another one, 1975 made.









Some tool marks









Mag is an old Adventure Line

Sticker price is 1490

I ended my quest for an SP1. Not sure how many I can miss. So I put it on layaway.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-29-2018, 09:18 AM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,141
Looks very nice, those are rare over here as well.
__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-29-2018, 11:16 AM
dsk's Avatar
dsk dsk is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 70,729
I agree that not many Colt SP1s seem to pop up for sale here in the USA. I guess they weren't big sellers during the time they were manufactured (1964-1983), or else those who have one tend to hang onto it since prices have spiked on them. Most M16A1-style rifles you find nowadays are builds using NoDak Spud receivers. Of course if they're built right there's nothing wrong with one, as you can make one that's more authentic and true to a genuine US military M16 than the old SP1 Sporters were.

I had a mild interest in getting one for many years, but the opportunity never presented itself. The one day I was in a gun shop and saw this one sitting on display on the glass counter. It's a 1980s Rock Island Armory lower (made by Sendra) with a GI upper. It was a little rough and had some non-A1 parts on it, plus the bolt was some cheap-no-name with pitting all over it and the gas rings were broken. However it looked solid overall, so I decided to take a gamble on it anyway. To make a long story short it didn't take long to replace all the bad parts with good ones, and it turned out to have a very rare and desirable late 60s barrel which I horse-traded with an AR collector for a 70's chrome-lined barrel and a bunch of parts and accessories (mags, scope, etc). The completed rifle shoots fantastic, in fact it is probably my most accurate AR. It's also by far the most fun to shoot, as I can't pick it up or shoot it without Fortunate Son playing in my head.

__________________
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-29-2018, 11:21 AM
CLASSIC12 CLASSIC12 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I agree that not many Colt SP1s seem to pop up for sale here in the USA. I guess they weren't big sellers during the time they were manufactured (1964-1983), or else those who have one tend to hang onto it since prices have spiked on them. Most M16A1-style rifles you find nowadays are builds using NoDak Spud receivers. Of course if they're built right there's nothing wrong with one, as you can make one that's more authentic and true to a genuine US military M16 than the old SP1 Sporters were.



I had a mild interest in getting one for many years, but the opportunity never presented itself. The one day I was in a gun shop and saw this one sitting on display on the glass counter. It's a 1980s Rock Island Armory lower (made by Sendra) with a GI upper. It was a little rough and had some non-A1 parts on it, plus the bolt was some cheap-no-name with pitting all over it and the gas rings were broken. However it looked solid overall, so I decided to take a gamble on it anyway. To make a long story short it didn't take long to replace all the bad parts with good ones, and it turned out to have a very rare and desirable late 60s barrel which I horse-traded with an AR collector for a 70's chrome-lined barrel and a bunch of parts and accessories (mags, scope, etc). The completed rifle shoots fantastic, in fact it is probably my most accurate AR. It's also by far the most fun to shoot, as I can't pick it up or shoot it without Fortunate Son playing in my head.





Nice rifle .. and great song. I had it blasting while driving down the Fl keys on my last US vacations.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-29-2018, 05:02 PM
dsk's Avatar
dsk dsk is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 70,729
BTW I'm curious what the most Swiss gun enthusiasts think of the AR-15 family of weapons. I know most Russians are completely unimpressed, especially the way they often compare it to their own homegrown AK-47 and its derivatives. The AR wasn't really that popular here in the USA for a good many years, but starting with the product improved A2 versions interest picked up, and once the M4 versions came out the AR's popularity exploded. Now it's the most common rifle seen in gun shops and likely the biggest seller of any family of weapons in the USA, for better and for worse. Of course most other semi-automatic rifles can't be imported or sold here unless they're completely bastardized versions meant to satisfy the infamous "sporting purposes" clause, so that has had an obvious effect on the AR's popularity versus other designs.
__________________
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-29-2018, 05:15 PM
CLASSIC12 CLASSIC12 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,016
I think itís a very popular platform here, competing primarily with the SIG 550 family of rifles (all the army rifles being released to former conscripts in addition to private sales of all the variants) and all kinds of AKs as well.

Comparatively speaking, given this is a very small country, I see a lot of ARs for sale in classified and in gun-shops. Obviously there are a lot less makers than in the US, I imagine many of them donít even bother to deal with exports and ITAR. So mainly Colts, some Bushmasters, and a few other makers.

In fact the LGS mentioned here has a promotion on some flat tops at the moment. Iíll snap a picture next time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-01-2018, 10:27 AM
RON K. RON K. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,002
YOU finally pulled the pin. Good deal nice rifle. My advice to all get what you want and do what you want. And who cares what others might think. don't base a Life on what others may do. The life belongs to you. So enjoy the rifle, And what you do with it because it seems like it was a long time in coming to that point.
RON K.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-06-2018, 09:27 AM
CLASSIC12 CLASSIC12 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
BTW I'm curious what the most Swiss gun enthusiasts think of the AR-15 family of weapons. I know most Russians are completely unimpressed, especially the way they often compare it to their own homegrown AK-47 and its derivatives. The AR wasn't really that popular here in the USA for a good many years, but starting with the product improved A2 versions interest picked up, and once the M4 versions came out the AR's popularity exploded. Now it's the most common rifle seen in gun shops and likely the biggest seller of any family of weapons in the USA, for better and for worse. Of course most other semi-automatic rifles can't be imported or sold here unless they're completely bastardized versions meant to satisfy the infamous "sporting purposes" clause, so that has had an obvious effect on the AR's popularity versus other designs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC12 View Post
I think itís a very popular platform here, competing primarily with the SIG 550 family of rifles (all the army rifles being released to former conscripts in addition to private sales of all the variants) and all kinds of AKs as well.

Comparatively speaking, given this is a very small country, I see a lot of ARs for sale in classified and in gun-shops. Obviously there are a lot less makers than in the US, I imagine many of them donít even bother to deal with exports and ITAR. So mainly Colts, some Bushmasters, and a few other makers.

In fact the LGS mentioned here has a promotion on some flat tops at the moment. Iíll snap a picture next time.

Snapped a few pics for you at the LGS/range







Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-06-2018, 09:27 AM
CLASSIC12 CLASSIC12 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RON K. View Post
YOU finally pulled the pin. Good deal nice rifle. My advice to all get what you want and do what you want. And who cares what others might think. don't base a Life on what others may do. The life belongs to you. So enjoy the rifle, And what you do with it because it seems like it was a long time in coming to that point.

RON K.


Thatís sound advice right there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved