Edc x9 rear sight - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-13-2018, 12:16 PM

Edc x9 rear sight

I have put about 200 rounds down range. My groups have been about 1.5”left, which I attributed to my grip, trigger control etc. however, when cleaning I noticed the sight is left in the dovetail. I do not need much movement to center the sight. Probably x/1000 of an inch. I do not have proper tools, but attempted this myself. I backed out the set screws about half way, and tried using a solid 4” section of a bronze/brass cleaning rod with some patches between the rod and sight. I tapped it with a 4oz brass hammer. The slide was siting on a folded towel. The good news is I did not damage anything. The bad news is I did not budge the sight.

Can any of you offer suggestions on what I might try or reccomend a sight pusher that is not the MGW at $108.00. And should I try to work a little kroil in there and let it sit, or might I regret that later. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you all

Richard
Old 03-13-2018, 12:17 PM

PS about 1.5 inches left at 7-10 yards
Old 03-13-2018, 12:22 PM

I'd laser it first. If the sight is that tight, and it was tested for sight in at the factory, you might have a backstrap/trigger combo that is taking you left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 02:22 PM

The sight is all the way to the left edge of the dove tail. There is room on the right edge. So I am looking to center the sight. I have never had a Wilson that the sight was off like this. Which is why I assumed it was me. I have been shooting 51 years and still have a tendency to shoot slightly left if I don’t manage it. This isn’t that.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Adjust the sight with the "slide sitting on a folded towel" and using a 4 oz. hammer is not optimum, to say kindly.

Find a vise (with padded jaws) that is secured to something substantial, i.e. a bench, that doesn't move or give when you banging on the set up. Try with that little hammer and if it doesn't move the sight, get a bigger hammer.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:45 PM

I have a shop vice, does neoprene work to protect the slide?

Ricky you are a gentleman. “Not optimum” I appreciate your tact.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Neoprene works, I'd still put something between the neoprene and the slide, just to protect the finish.

Since I'm not familiar with that rear sight, I'd trust you to make sure all screws/nuts/bolts that secure that sight are loosen.

Good luck sir.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:42 PM

I have the exact same problem and met the same failure to move the sight. Even with the slide in a milling machine vise and a large hammer and nylon striker rod, I couldn't bring myself to increase the force of my hammer blows sufficient to budge the sight. Without knowing why the sight is so tight I was reluctant to keep hitting it harder, so currently Wilson has my slide along with my request to loosen the sight.

I envision that once the set-screws are loosened, the sight should move relatively easily in the dovetail slot. 'Relatively easily' to my mind means a sliding fit with enough friction so that it doesn't fall freely out of the slot but is loose enough to be moved with light taps say, from a small rawhide hammer. If the sight fit is too tight, it will never be able to be adjusted with precision. Since the sight has two substantial set?screws for snugging once the adjustment is made I assume that a tight fit is not necessary.

I love that Wilson sights in the handgun as part of their service but like you I want to be able to make small adjustments on my own. The X9 is a precision firearm and should be capable of precision adjustment.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 PM

Where is the group on your test target?
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:01 PM

I will look at the test target. However, either way, the sight is all the way left in the dovetail and I would prefer it be centered. I am going to try again using a slight amount of kroil to see if that will help drift it slightly. I can take it to my local Smith, but he does not share my OCD when it comes to dings here or there. I will report back. I may go ahead and buy the mgw tool. Per WC CS the X9 slide will fit on a 1911 tool.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:11 PM

Why don't you send it to Wilson to re-test and fix if necessary. I'd much rather have sights that are co-planar with the barrel than in the middle of the slide. Remember, when you have standard 1911 sights from Wilson, they will look more centered because they will split the difference with the front and rear dovetails, but the x9 has that glockish front sight. Anyway, barrels don't always sit parallel to the slide, so sights can't either. That is why I suggested to laser the whole thing.

I am sure they would be happy to look at it and fix any problems.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

My pistolsmith, one of the most well known 1911 pistolsmiths in the country, does not own or use a sight pusher. He gets along just fine without it.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:17 PM

No luck with kroil. Will call WC tomorrow and ask them to fix it. While it’s there, I think it NEEDS a fully supported plug and gold bead front sight. Will keep you posted.

And Mans, please keep us posted on turn a round time, etc.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:24 PM

And Mans, please keep us posted on turn a round time, etc.[/QUOTE]

Will do.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:40 AM

I would have a more experienced shooter shoot it and see where it hits. It could be your trigger finger placement.
WC TSG 9/45 Vickers Elite 9mm EDC X9/Nighthawk Classic Bob Marvel SS 9mm/EB PATRIOT 3 EB KC/KC LW/SACS TGO-1 PC9111 Nowlin PC9111R PC9102 Nowlin PC9104/Colt SCGRG SCGRGC M45/Anvi III /MEUSOC 1911/1943 Ithaca/Les Baer 1.5 TR NRA Life Member
Old 03-16-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure1 View Post
I would have a more experienced shooter shoot it and see where it hits. It could be your trigger finger placement.
You mean more experienced than my 51 years? Either way, if someone else shoots it straight in with the sight all of the way left, then the sight and barrel are not parallel.

It’s on its way to Arkansas.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:02 PM

Let us know what the result was when you receive it back.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 PM

I will. This is the FiRsT time I have had to send a WC back through ext 299. I have read many terrific things about DJ, and he lived up to them and more. Very helpful and patient while discussing some mods while it is there.

Sure1 I apologize, I re read my post and see that it is a little snarky. Not ever what I want to convey. Better put, I just want the sight to be centered in the dovetail.

I will update you all next week (hopefully)
Old 03-19-2018, 05:48 PM

Richardw, WC called today to say my X9 sight is loosened and my slide will be shipped back. So my turnaround is less than two weeks and I will let you know some details when I get it back.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mans View Post
Richardw, WC called today to say my X9 sight is loosened and my slide will be shipped back. So my turnaround is less than two weeks and I will let you know some details when I get it back.
Thank you for the update. They received my gun today. I am adding a supported plug and gold bead. I will keep you updated.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:19 PM

I received my slide from WC today exactly two weeks after giving it to UPS. I was able to remove the sight from the slide easily with the help of a drift and firm taps from a light plastic hammer. However, I further relieved the bottom of the male dovetail on #600 wet or dry sandpaper just enough to remove the black finish. Now the sight slides in and out of the dovetail with only firm thumb pressure. Wilson Combat's customer service was excellent and I especially like how the same rep stayed with my project from beginning to end.

Now back to the range. . .
Old 03-23-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mans View Post
Mans, Apparently you shipped your slide only. I will be interested in a range report with sight centered.

Can you post a pic of your WC test target?

When you said you were having “the exact same problem”, did you mean grouping 1 1/2 left at same distance?

Last edited by STX; 03-23-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
Where is the group on your test target?
Did I miss a response to this?
A pic of the WC test target would be interesting. I assume it looks good. I can’t imagine the sight would have moved afterwards. So if the sight is left in the dovetail, and WC test target is centered, wouldn’t there have to be other offsetting “out-of-spec” parts to be able to get a “good” test target?

Also interesting would be the OP’s results at greater distance.

I am asking these maybe annoying questions, because I am on the edge of ordering, and, because there are at least two “sight left in dovetail” cases, I am being cautious.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX View Post
Did I miss a response to this?
A pic of the WC test target would be interesting. I assume it looks good. I can’t imagine the sight would have moved afterwards. So if the sight is left in the dovetail, and WC test target is centered, wouldn’t there have to be other offsetting “out-of-spec” parts to be able to get a “good” test target?

Also interesting would be the OP’s results at greater distance.

I am asking these maybe annoying questions, because I am on the edge of ordering, and, because there are at least two “sight left in dovetail” cases, I am being cautious.
Keep in mind that the X9 slide has a Tri Top profile and is much narrower than a standard 1911 slide. A rear sight "all the way over" in an X9 dovetail wouldn't even be noticed in a standard 1911 slide since there is only like .015" of adjustment either way on the X9. We take these guns back for inspection as a courtesy for our customers but there are no issues with X9's not having well-centered rear sights. This is a NON ISSUE.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 03-23-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
Keep in mind that the X9 slide has a Tri Top profile and is much narrower than a standard 1911 slide. A rear sight "all the way over" in an X9 dovetail wouldn't even be noticed in a standard 1911 slide since there is only like .015" of adjustment either way on the X9. We take these guns back for inspection as a courtesy for our customers but there are no issues with X9's not having well-centered rear sights. This is a NON ISSUE.
Thank you, WCR. I have not seen one in person. I had assumed that with the great capacity, that the grip would be bulky, but I started to get the “hots” for one when I learned that the grip width is only about .1” more than a WC compact. So I am late to the party and playing catch-up. I’ll look more closely at the pictures. Again thanks.

Last edited by STX; 03-23-2018 at 01:10 PM.