Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-09-2015, 06:10 PM

Remington R1 experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde the Pointer View Post
I bought a new RI serial number RHN349XXX.

Positives:
- No FTF or FTE in 175 rounds
- Looks nice, fit and finish good

Negatives:
- 4" groups at 20 yds.
- Slide won't go into battery as documented here by previous owners, sticks out 3/4", must be pushed forward. Happens randomly.
- Shoots 6-8" to the left of POA. Can't really tell cause of the accuracy issue. Sights adjusted now they look funny on the slide with the rear all the way to the right in the dovetail. Front moved to the left. Adjustments worked however they are at their limit.

Called Rem CS and spoke to "Greg" a less-than-enthusiastic CS rep. When describing the issues he tells me "the 1911 was designed so that you might have to push the slide forward to engage completely". Really, I replied. Anyway that's a new one on me and no other 1911 I have or have had exhibits that characteristic.

Bottom line from Greg is that they will send out a shipping container and look at the gun. When I asked him if I should include a note in with the box, he said "they won't read it". I said, really. Ok, here we go. I will update the thread as time passes on.

He did mention they were super busy with the 700 recall so there may be other issues affecting his manner, though of course I was professional in my exchange with him as I am the one holding the less-than-stellar pistol.

And yes I read all the reviews and decided to buy one anyway. My pistol was made 1/2013, and the negative reviews seemed to be on early production models. I had hoped to avoid these issues.....
Sounds like your pistol was made on the swing shift on Friday. Evidently, Greg "the Remington guy" doesn't have a clue. I was lucky, it appears, in that the R1 I bought for my Son is a fine gun. Reliable and accurate.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:54 PM

I purchased my Enhanced slightly used. Finish and fit was very good. Mine would fail to completely return to battery some of the time. Didn't matter the load. I have used grease on the slide since the 70's. The slide seemed sluggish, the best way to describe. I read a post by "Alchemy" to use oil on a 1911, not grease. I stripped mine, cleaned all the grease off. Problem solved. No more return to battery problems. Seems more accurate, probably a result of better function. Keep your finger joint off the trigger. Try shooting with finger joint, then finger tip. May be surprised
Old 03-25-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0119 View Post
that is the best post i've read in years !!
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpet1 View Post
I purchased my Enhanced slightly used. Finish and fit was very good. Mine would fail to completely return to battery some of the time. Didn't matter the load. I have used grease on the slide since the 70's. The slide seemed sluggish, the best way to describe. I read a post by "Alchemy" to use oil on a 1911, not grease. I stripped mine, cleaned all the grease off. Problem solved. No more return to battery problems. Seems more accurate, probably a result of better function. Keep your finger joint off the trigger. Try shooting with finger joint, then finger tip. May be surprised
I partially agree, as I always have used grease on the slide, but in very small quantities.

IMHO
Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0119 View Post
That is the best post I've read in years !!
Amen
But if we don't change "stuff" the "stuff" making people will go broke.

Staying on task. I am thrilled with 2 at 25.

RC
Old 04-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Banned

Have the SS E R1.

Ran great for the first 300 rounds then it began to have problems. One problem was the barrel link pin coming out. The replaced the barrel and proofed it, changed out the extractor to a better one and polished the inside of the gun.

400 rounds in and its been perfect. I consider this gun to be as good as my Dan Wessons now.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:36 AM

I finally had some time during lunch yesterday to take the R1 4.25 out on a date. We went to the desert not on a horse with no name.
I wanted to check it, the Remington 7 round magazines and the Wilson Combat 8 rounders.
The only issues were a couple of FTF (my fault). I started with 5 rounds in each magazine and then progressed to max on each magazine. I ended up with 1 in the chamber and 8 in the WC. All 9 went bang.

Nothing came loose.
I don't care for the looks of the trigger but I didn't notice any great issues with the pull.

The one negative is that I have not shot a 1911 in a while and the web on my hand was a little tender when I finished.

I was not shooting for MOA just getting the feel for the gun and letting her warm up.

RC
Old 11-16-2015, 08:36 PM

Update:

Got about 1500 through this gun since new, so that's about 500 on the replacement barrel. Gun has been totally reliable and a pleasure to shoot. The slide on frame is like ball bearings. Accuracy is decent and most of the ammo used has been Missouri 200 gr over HP38. A little skateboard tape on the frontstrap and some rosewood panels and the feel of this gun in the paw is very natural. I am a fan.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:47 PM

I had some failures to feed on my first Enhanced. After the third attempted repair the replaced it. The replacement has been fine. Both are very tight and accurate, it is a joy to shoot.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:15 PM

I just purchased a 5" R1 Enhanced Stainless a couple of weeks ago and went to the range today for the grand opening, 200 rounds, very accurate, no failures of any kind, I'm a happy camper
Old 11-30-2015, 07:09 AM

I'm still liking mine. I'm somewhere north of 500 rounds mix of SWC,JHP and FMJ. It eats them all. I like 200 grainers.

RC
Old 12-02-2015, 08:03 PM

How is the fit & finish quality of the new R1 pistols since they moved the production to Alabama?
My R1 purchased 15 months ago was pretty darn nice for $454 after the $75 cash rebate.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:54 PM

I put finger prints on one at Cabelas in Phoenix the other week. It seemed solid to me.

That should be my next buy. After the Para Elite Cdr is in the sack.

RC
Old 03-20-2018, 05:49 AM

UPDATE: Had a barrel bulge on me a month or so ago. Remington denied the warranty, and have been attempting to get my pistol back for several weeks now. I had several conversations with unhelpful Remington customer service people and remain frustrated at their "process". I will call them back and hound them again today. "Jim" who has "shot for 40 years" is the latest in the ring-around-the-rosies runaround I am getting from them. I sadly report that a once great American company has really disappointed this customer and I would find any alternative to avoid purchasing their products ever again.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:16 PM

Guess the bankruptcy isn't helping any.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:39 AM

Probably not the most fun place to work these days. I did finally get in touch with a supervisor named Richard who looked into things, and assured me that it would be returned. Kart barrel ordered and I am looking forward to having this piece back in my hands where it belongs.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:57 PM

I've got an R1, and R1 Commander. Both good pistols. After I bought the Commander, almost four years ago, plus one negative cs experience, I decided Remmy didn't have anything else I wanted. Hope it all works out in the best way possible for you.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:15 PM

I have a R1 Carry Commander and it's been one of my best 1911's I have ever owned and shot .
Shoot's as accurate as my Colt's and Springfield's but with a much better finish , best 1911 I've ever bought on a budget , it just flat out runs with no FTF's or anything .
Old 03-24-2018, 04:40 PM

My lgs/range has the stainless Commander & I asked to look at it today. I was pretty impressed with it. Slide operated smooth was nicely finished with no slide overhang. They let me field strip it & the machining was very nice. The trigger was a little heavy (compared to my Les Baer) but good for carry. I even think the front slide serrations are tastefully done. If I wasn’t for the fact that I have a colt Wiley Clapp stainless Commander coming in next week to that store I would have seriously considered the Remington for under $800 out the door. I told my gunshop buddy that I hope the colt coming in next week is this good.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:23 PM

I have the R-1 GI model. It's been a good gun and shoots very well. They are a well made gun IMO, I'm happy with mine.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:05 PM

I have two R1 Enhanced, one threaded and one stainless and a R1 Carry Commander. All in 45ACP and all have been flawless.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:04 PM

Spoke to "Richard" again today as I still have no pistol, tracking number, or anything. This is getting very old. Glad all you other people are having such good luck! I did like mine up to the barrel issue. I am staring at a new Kart and imagining the possibilities....
Old 03-26-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
How is the fit & finish quality of the new R1 pistols since they moved the production to Alabama?
My R1 purchased 15 months ago was pretty darn nice for $454 after the $75 cash rebate.

Clyde, I hope they can get you fixed-up soon.

I bought a commander size R1, a month or so ago, it was fresh from the line.
It felt good and ran well from the box. The fit was nice and smooth. Besides a burr, the finish looked nice, with crisp lines and edges.

When I was cleaning it, I noticed a burr or two on it, so I decided to polish the inside and do a sear job. It was well worth the time.
I'm grateful mine keeps a tight pattern and runs with the big-dogs now.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:55 AM

Update: Received the repaired gun back from Remington, obviously test-fired. Will put this up for sale and be done with it. I am glad this debacle is over and this for sure will be my last Remington. To their credit my gun is fixed. It took a lot of emails/phone calls to make this happen. In the end their customer service proved to be just that, however it was not an easy journey.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde the Pointer View Post
UPDATE: Had a barrel bulge on me a month or so ago. Remington denied the warranty, and have been attempting to get my pistol back for several weeks now. I had several conversations with unhelpful Remington customer service people and remain frustrated at their "process". I will call them back and hound them again today. "Jim" who has "shot for 40 years" is the latest in the ring-around-the-rosies runaround I am getting from them. I sadly report that a once great American company has really disappointed this customer and I would find any alternative to avoid purchasing their products ever again.
Barrel bulge????