1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgreywolf View Post
Picked up a bright stainless champion with bull barrel last weekend. Has a short 1" guide rod that I am wanting to change to a full rod. Read here a Kimber Pro 4" will drop in, also saw that an EGW rod will work but not crazy about rod being a little short of end of plug..Cylinder and slide will cut one for gun if sent in to them. Any other choices for a drop in rod ?
Also need a ambi thumb safety, want a tactical style ( thin ) and in bright stainless to match my slide. Springfield Armory says theirs is matte, Kimber says matte, Cylinder and Slide is bead blasted. Do I have any choices for Bright tactical..

Thank You for any info
Wilson combat makes 4" & 4 1/4"
last I recall.. Any of the matte ambis
can be buffed easily but if you get a
Brownell's catalog there are at least
a few polished avail. or you could just
call them & they will help you out..

"Those who live by the sword...
Are generally shot by those who do not..."
Old 04-19-2012, 08:17 AM

?? FOR YOU CHAMPION PEOPLE and thanks .

Hi everyone i'am new to the site and i have been looking for a champion and every dealer i call in my state of Wis says you just can't get them , are they that scarse every where , would like to get my hands on 1 as you all have some nice storys too tell about them , Thank you all
JDHOG
Old 04-21-2012, 12:51 PM

Custom .40 Champion project continues.!! *Newest Pics!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfixer View Post
Okay.. So today I have cut the spurs and fitted
('Not yet blended; not until refinishing) an S&A memory pad grip safety and have temporarily replaced
the trigger w/ an old graphite & black polymer, smooth faced trigger. I've replaced the funky factory hammer w/ an Ed Brown.
I next did a clean 4# trigger job and installed a flat, ribbed MSH.

Before:

After:

It may go on the mill here later today and have that older Heine no snag rear sight that I mentioned earlier,
cut in (Novak cut) and installed.. (I Love finding old goodies that I can use right away in the shop.!!)
It look's & feels allot better already.!!
(Would'a been slicker if I'd thought to wipe the gun off before I snapped a cell phone pic though..!! )
So... The.40sw Champ project continues, slowly but surely...

'Went w/ a Black/ serrated, Heinie Slant Pro rear (Novak cut) and a Tritium front sight..
('Front not shown on the pistol, waiting for the correct front height, tried .170 but .150 will be perfecto..!!)

All accent pieces are SS throughout.. She has Black VZ grips, an SVI non-tri. silver base trigger w/ Black Medium length shoe,
E. B. Bobtail/ 25lpi MSH, E.B. Hammer & mag catch, C&S Lo profile thumb safety & an UNK slide stop from the parts bin;
likely E.B. as well.

I may or may not cut a French border; I have already cut & recessed the slide stop pin and orfice,
and I've already Nix'd the idea for the serrated flat top..
I will be cutting the front strap as high as possible and doing 25lpi checkering..
The finish will be H&K Black Duracoat over Parkerizing, and all SS details will be #80 glass beaded matte finish.

(I'm strongly considering installing a Novak's or Caspian Tactical Rail on this for a tac light..)

Any comments or thoughts about the possible tac rail?

Last edited by gunfixer; 04-25-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 08:26 PM

^^^ - Re-vamped my last update (Above) - ^^^

Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhog View Post
Hi everyone i'am new to the site and i have been looking for a champion and every dealer i call in my state of Wis says you just can't get them , are they that scarse every where , would like to get my hands on 1 as you all have some nice storys too tell about them , Thank you all
JDHOG
It's not just you... I've been trying to get my hands on one for at least 6 months. I've seen em on gb. But I like to handle and inspect it before I buy. I'm hoping I'll see one at the next gun show. I would love to get my hands on a .40 like the one above. (very nice by the way.) but that's nearly impossible... Good luck
Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 AM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
Looking good
Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335283011.440584.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	80657
A little fun out at the range. I'm on the lookout for another champion for strictly carry use.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 PM

Have had mine for close to 17yrs. It's the older bushing Champion (ca. 1994)

When I first bought it I remember being astonished at how well fit and smooth it was. Of course, back then, the fit and finish was much nicer out of the box than what you see mostly today.

After over 5000rds - it's still as tight as the day I got it. As a matter of fact, I remeasured the play in the original bushing/barrel/slide...

.003"

Just this past week I've replaced the grips, the hammer, sear, and installed the S&A beavertail. Only thing I'll do next is get some black hex grip screws.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanc View Post
Have had mine for close to 17yrs. It's the older bushing Champion (ca. 1994)

When I first bought it I remember being astonished at how well fit and smooth it was. Of course, back then, the fit and finish was much nicer out of the box than what you see mostly today.

After over 5000rds - it's still as tight as the day I got it. As a matter of fact, I remeasured the play in the original bushing/barrel/slide...

.003"

Just this past week I've replaced the grips, the hammer, sear, and installed the S&A beavertail. Only thing I'll do next is get some black hex grip screws.

Real nice gun..! I was a bit surprised to see an early one like yours
w/ the Brazil markings.. I assume you also dovetailed it for the XS Big Dot sights since then..
Why the subtle, tasteful up-grades now after so many a year?
(Watch out.. The bug may bite..!)

Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 PM

Thats a beauty!!!! Mod away my friend... thats what keeps the hobby fresh for me!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfixer View Post
Real nice gun..! I was a bit surprised to see an early one like yours
w/ the Brazil markings.. I assume you also dovetailed it for the XS Big Dot sights since then..
Why the subtle, tasteful up-grades now after so many a year?
(Watch out.. The bug may bite..!)
Thanks.

As far as the upgrades... I've had this for so long, and while it was very accurate from the get-go, it just wasn't as comfortable to shoot.

In the time I've had it, I've purchased 3 of the Loaded models, and after extended shooting sessions, the web of my hand was much happier with those.

So the feel was the main factor for the beavertail, hammer, flat MSH, and long trigger.

The dove tail on the slide was because the factory sight shot loose. Everyone around here wanted $35 and the cost of the sight to pin it back on. I called Springfield and was told they'd do the cut for $50, which included return shipping. That was a no brainer, and it also allows me to easily change the front sight with the more popular Novak cut sights.

Chose the night sights because I got them in a trade.

The grips were to be on one of my stainless models but they weren't cut for the ambi - and there wasn't enough meat on the grips for the cut, so I thought I'd see how they looked on one of my park'd guns. It looked great.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it after the upgrades. Don't think I'll have any problems with proper function, but am curious to see where the POI is with the Big Dot. I have several replacement sights in my drawer if those don't work for me.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:03 PM

Old 05-13-2012, 05:00 PM

Picked this beauty up about two weeks ago...

It started life as a lightweight loaded Champ from what I can tell. A previous owner had some goodies added....Long match trigger, match barrel with compensator, novak rear sight, ed brown beavertail and tactical thumb safety, stippled front strap and arched MSH, radical carry bevel all coated in a black t finish.

Last edited by nate09; 05-13-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 AM

1911 LDD champ

I am looking a getting a Champ loaded. I understand that these guns are hard to get a hold of right now. My local gun dealer has one in stock and is selling for $1188 the gun is brand new. However when I inspected to gun I found that the trigger was unusually loose compared to other 1911's from kimber springfield, and colt. Is it normal for the trigger to be loose i.e(be able to wigglge) seems like there was some excessive play in the trigger. Is this normal. Secondly im not quite sure if im paying to much for this gun. Please help!!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 AM

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a used Champion and since bringing it home I noticed that the guide rod plug sticks out from the end of the slide by a noticeable amount:

I emailed SA and sent them a pic and they told me it is normal. I've never seen any other Champion like this. I'm wondering if the previous owner messed with the slide or used an aftermarket plug in which I don't know of any aftermarket plugs that look OEM like this.

I just took a pic of the plug next to a rule. Can anyone tell me if theirs looks like this based on the appearance and the measurement with the rule as a guide?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 PM

The boondoggle that is my Champion continues. After being overcharged by the transfer dealer, I still wanted to make a few “minor” upgrades. Ultimately, I replaced the entire fire-control system.

The final piece was a Harrison Design short trigger. However, when I disassembled the pistol for the installation, my fancy grips from Esmeralda O’Sheehan cracked! Oh, well, they were prettier than they were practical.

Esmeralda’s fault or mine? I don’t know, but I gave her another try anyway, since no competitors seemed to have what I wanted.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the final results. The trigger pull has been vastly improved and is now lighter, smoother, and crisper than the stock configuration.

Here are the problems that persist. The extractor clocks like crazy but hasn’t caused any failures yet. The slide has a little back-and-forth play, and I’m not sure how to fix that. The grip safety has also become very sensitive with the new trigger, so I may want to address that in the future.

Finally, my camera broke while taking the last couple pictures. Argh!

“I revere weapons, because I abhor violence.”
Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 AM

Old 06-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Just picked this up today. incredibly hard to find this gun around here. went 1911 shopping and barely found anything in any brand. went to five places and was just about to give up when we went to one last place and not only did they have one, they had five!!!! my buddy bought one too.

and little brother with big brother

Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM

those two look AMAZING together.... I never liked the green frame until i saw that pic. Something about a pair of 1911s... DROOL
Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGI View Post
those two look AMAZING together.... I never liked the green frame until i saw that pic. Something about a pair of 1911s... DROOL
thank you very much!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic679 View Post
Just picked this up today. incredibly hard to find this gun around here. went 1911 shopping and barely found anything in any brand. went to five places and was just about to give up when we went to one last place and not only did they have one, they had five!!!! my buddy bought one too.

and little brother with big brother

Those are looking good sir! That makes me wish I still had my LW Champion. Do you have any plans for it?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 AM

actually i was going to start another thread and ask if i should do anything to it or any parts needed. it will be my EDC.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
actually i was going to start another thread and ask if i should do anything to it or any parts needed. it will be my EDC.
I've got that same LW Loaded Champion. The only thing I've done to it was to swap out the ambi safety with a single side and shoot it a bunch.

What grips are on yours?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry1 View Post
I've got that same LW Loaded Champion. The only thing I've done to it was to swap out the ambi safety with a single side and shoot it a bunch.

What grips are on yours?
well, I'm LH so the ambi safety needs to stay on.

those are pachmayr's. i put them on as soon as i got it. i have them on my MC Operator and I love them!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
The only thing I thought mine NEEDED was a trigger job. I swapped out the slide stop, added a single sided safety, fitted and tuned a new extractor and Heinie ledge style sights. Outside of the trigger job the other upgrades were preference. But the gun has a good feel to me