Massive DW VBOB review (Dialup killer) - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 10:23 PM

Massive DW VBOB review (Dialup killer)

I got a VBOB a week or so ago and have took it apart inside out and back it again.

I would like to give my opinion, and my opinion only, of this handgun. Plus a plethora of pics.

Now realize that this is going to be my opinion only!! It is not anything more!!
But having been a gunshop owner, gun collector, parts swapper, LEO, LEO Firearms Trainer, Special Operations Team member ( or what ever we are calling it this week) and Dept Armorer for 2 decades...I feel I can at least give a (some what) decent opinion on the new VBOB.

This will take a while to type up and post pics, so please be patient. But if you have any questions or pic requests...please let me know.

2010 DW Dan Wesson VBOB, V-BOB, Valor Bobtail review. ( For internet searchers.)
It's a weapon people, not just a shiny gadget to drool over and treat like a Ming Vase. Shoot more, do preventive maintenance, fix when broken parts eventually do happen, and shoot more. Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Last edited by HAIL CAESAR; 05-30-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: ( For internet searchers.)
Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 PM

Here is a right and left picture of the offender..

On a side note; If you see any dirt..this gun has been fired. I tried to clean it up a bit for the pics. But pictures show everything!!

On first glance this was a striking handgun. Much more than I thought it would be. I like "clean" pistols, and this one is clean.
It's a weapon people, not just a shiny gadget to drool over and treat like a Ming Vase. Shoot more, do preventive maintenance, fix when broken parts eventually do happen, and shoot more. Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:30 PM

Looking forward to this.
COTEP #209
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 10:33 PM

HC,

I love plethoras! Bring 'em on!
-=[Bob]=- COTEP #192
Retired "mustang" naval officer & retired "zoomie" federal manager
DW CCOx2, CBOB + RZ45, Colt MKIV, CD EFS, P45C/T, BHP MKIII, FM M90, PT99AF, M681-1, 689, P238, MK678II

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 PM

Lets look at the checkering a bit..

It is very cleanly executed. The 25 LPI is VERY grippy. With that checkering and with the grips provided you could shoot the VBOB with a hand full of axle grease and not loose a firing grip.

The newer checking (IMO) puts the old CBOB checkering to shame.

If you noticed the scuffs on the back of the magwell.... I have shot the snot out of this gun and done speed reloads.

Last edited by HAIL CAESAR; 05-01-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:42 PM

Holy S&%t, CAESAR! You better not stop there.

You do remember that Guardian #17 may very well require the same treatment!

Get it ON Ole Man! Post them PICS

COTEP #0207, CCO #017, Guardian-9 #017, Guardian-45 #417, ECO #017
GeorgiaCarry.org Gun Toting Life Member & Volunteer
Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 PM

How can you not have a BG point of view/muzzle shot
Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 PM

Don't tease me... more... I want more...
Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Sorry folks. Mother of all storms here. Working on this although it is raining "up" right now.

Yes, I have the BG view and DOZENS more.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 PM

Well, don't keep us waiting forever
Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 PM

Here are some muzzle pics..

I prefer thick bushings for looks and strength. The bushing is very tight in the slide. Not Baer tight, but right tight. I can remove it...barely.. with my fingers.

I can feel not movement in the bushing when in the slide and there is no barrel movement I can feel.

I like the thick beveled flange and matching plug. It is a very clean look.

The gunpowder sludge wipes off.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 PM

Since we skipped to the barrel lets talk about that..

The barrel is the correct Commander dimensions. Don't laugh, some companies get that wrong.

Now look at that throated barrel..

Now I will say this... I not sure what DW calls a Match barrel?? Cause there is no way in GOD's green Earth that chamber is a "Match". Every type and make of bullet I inserted in that chamber rattled around. It is very loose..

You want to know something??? I AM GLAD IT IS LIKE THAT!! This whole "Match" chamber dimensions in a pistol that a company touts as a SD or LEO gun is just plain stupid.

I am not shooting in the Olympics, I am using that gun as a SD or maybe a work gun. So a super tight chamber on a SD/LEO gun is the mark of a company full of fools.

I want a chamber that is loose that cartridges just glide into, especially if I hit that one round that is slightly oversized. The loose chamber will chamber such a round, a tight chamber may not. The difference is maybe I will get killed because of it....

Every decent gunsmith will ream out a "Match" chamber for a outstanding SD/LEO 1911. So it is glad to see where DW priorities are, at least if my example is indicative of all Valor's.

I told you I am opinionated, and I am. You may disagree, bit it is my opinion.

Now you may think a loose chamber will make the gun inaccurate???

Think again. More on that later when I do the shooting part...

Last edited by HAIL CAESAR; 05-01-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:03 AM

Here is a picture of the feed ramp. It is very wide and highly polished. A 1911 doesn't have to be polished that much, but anymore it is a requirement to show how good the pistol is.

I need to take that picture again, because it does not do the gun justice. You can actually see me and the lights going off on either side of me.

Moral of the story..with that ramp, throat, and chamber... bullets and empties glide in!
This is very good for a SD/LEO gun.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:09 AM

While were on feeding the gun, lets talk about Mags for one second. The Valor comes with 2 Checkmate 8 round Hybrid mags. THANK GOD no wad cutter mags..

These are some of the best made mags out there, if not the best. Funny thing was I thought the gun would come with wad cutter mags and was about to order some CM Hybrids when this gun came in, killed two birds with one stone here.

I have bought guns costing hundreds more that came with crummy mags. Thankfully DW provided 2 of the best.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:17 AM

Lets see her guts!

I'm trying to justify a Vbob. Lately, my slight dislike of stainless has been receding.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuHu View Post
Lets see her guts!

I'm trying to justify a Vbob. Lately, my slight dislike of stainless has been receding.
In time... Jeez.. I'm processing pics and typing like crazy.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Banned

Makes me wanna go hug my VBOB! Thanks for the report. Anxiously following your progress!

Regards,
Alan
Old 05-01-2010, 12:36 AM

Lets go to the sights..

The front is fitted well. It is also a very bright green night sight that is encircled in white. The front is pinned in.

The rear is a Heine ledge. The night sight insert is small and yellow. The idea is to draw your eyes to the front and still give your subconscious a reference point with the rear. It does this well and is very fast.

Here is a view of the sight picture. Too bad I took it with the focus on the back when the front as it is supposed to be your focus point. Hopefully you get the idea.

This is a very good sight set up and usually only found on real custom pistols or you swap your three dots for them.

And yes you can rack the slide with the rear slide against a belt, pants pocket, or any other ledge.

Last edited by HAIL CAESAR; 05-01-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:47 AM

While were here and looking at the last pic. Notice the blue steel extractor..that is a good thing as they are more resilient than a SS one.

Also the slide to frame is very good. If you take just the bare dry slide and put in on the dry frame you will feel very slight perceivable movement. There is no movement with the complete slide on and with lube.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a little movement for a SD/LEO gun. IMO..
Old 05-01-2010, 12:59 AM

How's the fit of your grip safety? Many of us in the past have had DW's with grip safeties that had a lot of side to side play.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 AM

Very Nice looking VBOB, Thank You very much for your Great write up and all the pics of it.
Which gun in your Collection would you compare it too, quality wise?

Clyde
Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 AM

Since this is a Bobtail, lets see the BOB.

This is were the VBOB puts the CBOB to shame. This is a GREAT job. Several 1911 snobs I have shown this pistol too has commented on it. Many a Wilson, EB, one NightHawk, and one Fusion were brought out to compare. It was as good as the first three and better than the last. Definitely bounds better than the CBOB. The checkering is superb and so is the blend.

Also see the very nice bevel of the magwell.

As asked the grip safety is very nice. It does have a slight side to side movement at the memory pad. But very slight and in no way loose. The release is about 70 percent through the travel and is what I prefer. And the spring leg is set to nuke on the pressure it takes to depress it. Again what I prefer, but easy for an average moron to set to their preferences.

It is very nicely fit, again much better than any CBOB I have ever personally seen or owned. On par with W, B, B, NH.

Last edited by HAIL CAESAR; 05-01-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 AM

Nice shots!

DW should pay YOU for those photos! (They need a serious website upgrade!)

Great write-up and beautiful pistol. As a non-LEO Californian, the Valor is a no-go, so I can only live vicariously through you freedom-enjoying Americans...Thanks.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:53 AM

Slightly interesting that the mags are Checkmate-marked, not built by Checkmate but Dan Wesson marked
Old 05-01-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET72 View Post
Very Nice looking VBOB, Thank You very much for your Great write up and all the pics of it.
Which gun in your Collection would you compare it too, quality wise?

Clyde
Clyde, you are impeding on my Grand Finale statements!

That will have some folks here in a uproar, gnashing of teeth, crying, and so forth.

And sorry to take so long to respond, I have satellite internet and there is a heck of a storm here. So I am in and out of service.

I may have to continue this tomorrow, weather permitting. Feel free to ask questions and request pictures. My wife isn't taking the pics, I am.
So it may take me a day to get a specific picture if I did not take it already.

I am saving the shooting part for later. I have already done some, but did not take pictures.