STI Tactical 4.0 Heinie Straight Eight Night Sights - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 03:46 PM

STI Tactical 4.0 Heinie Straight Eight Night Sights

I contacted STI but they don't offer this set however they did give me the dimensions so I will post it here:

Front sight: .140 height, 300x60 dovetail

Rear sight: .335 Heinie ledge tritium (Novak rear sight cut .495x65)

I figure this will help everyone else out with this pistol looking for replacement sights, which is what I'm looking for. Anyone know of where I can get a replacement set? or maybe some three dot night sights?
Old 05-24-2020, 12:51 PM

The rear is a more-or-less standard Novak low-mount cut. Just about any Novak style rear can be fit to the gun... but it will need to be fit; they almost never just drop in.

.335 is the "standard" height for Novaks that you most commonly see installed. They do make taller ones but they aren't generally needed for 5" and 4" guns.

The front sight dovetail is what is usually called an STI or Heinie dovetail. Your particular sight is a bit short because it's on a 4" gun... most 5" guns will use a .170-180" tall sight.

Armed with this knowledge, you can shop for the front and rear individually to get exactly what you want. You will most likely have to do so anyway, because the likelihood of finding that combo of dovetails and heights in a pre-packaged set is pretty low.

Dawson Precision is where I usually buy most of my 1911 sights. They manufacture a lot of their sights themselves so they offer a wide array of heights, widths, and styles, and the dimensions are clearly stated on the website so there is no ambiguity about what you're ordering.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_mays View Post
Dawson Precision is where I usually buy most of my 1911 sights.
They are a great resource. You can also send them your slide and have the sights installed. Quick turnaround. Just give them a call to see what’s available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 06:32 PM

Iv'e gotten real fond of the Heinie straight-8 sights that came on most of my STIs. So much so Iv'e been putting them on most of my 1911s with fixed sights. I don't know if they all have the EZ-Lock with the two set screws and the bar so adjusting them is a breeze but I like that too.
They say .180" is standard but I've have to change to shorter for some, like I have a Costa VIP and 9 and 45 and the 9 is 135 and the 45 is .115"
That's what I like about Dawson, they have a wide range of heights where most sight companies have at most three heights.