Colt Gold Cup NM Questions - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-16-2020, 08:52 AM

The first Mustangs (1964 1/2) had the 260 C.I. V8. The 289 replaced it for 1965.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
fnfalman, to quote Ronnie Reagan, "There you go Again...."

(I personally think a Gold Cup - or a Commander in .38 Super would be awesome, if you are choosing.)

First of all, your knowledge of Mustangs is a little off, no V-6's until the 1970's - but if Italian motorcycles are your thing, I understand. My buddy and I literally walked away from the then current newest "Super Bike" of our day (the 750 Honda) in a 428 1969 Mustang from a standing start in 1971 and he never did catch up. Kind of like having a .45 vs. having a 9MM.....

You may be the only person on this Forum who persists in promoting the dangerous Delusion that there is ANYTHING deficient about a .45ACP, and that it has somehow magically become useless, apparently to bolster your faith in what is currently "stylish". I think - you have a 9 - you will NEED that high cap magazine....

I do share your liking for the Super .38 - but dissing the caliber KNOWN, on the Battlefield, for over 100 years for achieving One Shot Stops much more often than not on determined warrior adversaries on the battlefield - by actual field reports, not by shooting Jello (like the current 9MM Data) sounds a bit defensive.

The American soldier had confidence - and our enemies always feared - the M1911 .45 for a reason. "Modern Propaganda" and current bad desk bound administrator's purchasing decisions can't change long established facts. I just read another after action report last week - from Vietnam, this time, of a grunt armed with only his M1911 who took on three AK armed VC who were trying to kill him - with one round apiece, just like Cpl. Alvin York in 1918. No second shot needed. You should read more history.... CC
I take it that the MARSOC are a bunch of desk bound warriors since that they decided to ditch the M45 for the Glock 19? Too wimpy and too poor of marksmanship training so they have to use a high capacity handgun in a lesser caliber?

Anyway, the 9mm are about as useful as the .45 and I haven’t bothered with neither for years now.

PS the most highly decorated soldier in WWII did most of his killings with the Garand, captured MG42 and Ma Deuce. As a student of history, perhaps you might have heard of him? A fellow named Audie Murphy.

I can go on naming more Medal of Honor holders who did their killings with real weapons instead of a puny handgun.

And what was the rifle Sergeant York used before he had to relegate to the M1911?

Last edited by fnfalman; 05-16-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:24 AM

And to beat a dead horse some more, apparently Sergeant Major Bradley Kasal didn’t have a problem with smoking a house full of terrorists with his puny high capacity 9mm loaded with ball ammo.

In the 17 years of War on Terror, I must wonder how many times have American fighting men and women giving terrorists dirt naps while using the puny 9mm?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2020, 10:40 AM

Back in in HS a friend had a 1964 Mustang with the 260 C.I. V8. As I recall it also had 4 lug bolts. He got some adapters from 4 to 5 bolts so he could mount some mag wheels he was in love with.

Back to 9mm vs 45 I got into the full size at the end of 2014 and the start of 2015. I got a SA RO in 45 on sale in the fall of 2014 and then one in 9mm on sale in the spring of 2015.

I was getting better groups with the 45. Then a shooty buddy who had been into 9mm for some time said I needed to go to heavier bullets and even 9mm match ammo. This worked but now one does not have the cost benefit of 9mm as the bulk/cheap 9mm is usually 115gr. So the 45 is going to win if one shoots the cheaper bulk ammo available in both calibers.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Rice View Post
The first Mustangs (1964 1/2) had the 260 C.I. V8. The 289 replaced it for 1965.

DuckDuckGo
Attached Thumbnails
860E1D95-02F7-499D-999E-11AF3240AD87_1589644775582.jpeg  
Old 05-16-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Rice View Post

IIRC, a straight 6 was the standard engine in the beginning, with a V8 optional.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
IIRC, a straight 6 was the standard engine in the beginning, with a V8 optional.
Here’s a person who knows his Pony.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:00 PM

The 90s called... they want their caliber war back.

45 ball is known to glance off things like skulls and other heavy bones, or just punch a hole in what it hits. 9mm ball does too, but it is slightly less likely to be deflected depending on bullet shape. Military units that do actually shoot people with handguns aren't going to fire one or two rounds if they are forced to use ball ammo, they are probably going to shoot until the required effect is achieved.

Buy a case of high quality hollow point ammunition in the caliber of your choice for defensive use and then stop worrying about bullet performance or which caliber is best.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Robinson View Post
The 90s called... they want their caliber war back.

45 ball is known to glance off things like skulls and other heavy bones, or just punch a hole in what it hits. 9mm ball does too, but it is slightly less likely to be deflected depending on bullet shape. Military units that do actually shoot people with handguns aren't going to fire one or two rounds if they are forced to use ball ammo, they are probably going to shoot until the required effect is achieved.

Buy a case of high quality hollow point ammunition in the caliber of your choice for defensive use and then stop worrying about bullet performance or which caliber is best.
Caliber war between the 9 and the .45 is like watching two weaklings fighting to see who’s the mightier.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKfan View Post
After further thought and some additional research I will get the gun in 45ACP!
I currently own several Colts, GOV and COMMANDERS so it makes most sense!
Love the Colts!!
Great choice! Post some pics when it happens.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:20 PM

Thats the ticket. 45 for you.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:39 PM

A new .45 Gold Cup is never a bad choice! I was gifted a new GC Trophy a few years ago and absolutely Love it!

Regarding our side conversation - Ignoring documented, observed Reality for fabricated reality will eventually get you hurt, guys. You go right on just believing "Caliber doesn't matter!". (I understand the .22 WMR is gaining credibility as a carry round, most recently. There you go!)

Just because the FBI needs to ignore physics and ballistics - and ACTUAL SHOOTING RESULTS - for Political Hiring Purposes so the current urban hires can qualify, doesn't mean the rest of us have to go stupid.....

The Army got saddled with the 9MM very largely just to sell Italy the F-16.... Handguns are not primary military weapons, so no one high enough up in the food chain living behind a desk cared - then or now - (or more likely even understands) enough to fix it. And the .mil has their own modern "hiring issues", too.

My reference to truly interested parties checking with the historical record was very sincere - there are plenty of accounts, from WWI to Present Day, on battlefields, in use against determined warrior opponents that have made the 1911/.45ACP's Record for effectiveness. Unfortunately very few people read today - it's all screens, from the latest "Data", not hard Experience, so in many fields knowledge is actually more shallow and less, not more.

It has been frequently observed, for over 100 years, that ONE ROUND of .45ACP ended the fight, period. Shooting people "until the desired result is achieved" (or slide lock) is not equal in value to "one shot and down."

And before anyone starts - is Anything 100% in all cases? Of course not "All things being equal" never is, especially in combat, exceptions will occur, going both ways - sometimes for reasons that are NOT obvious. But no one ever complained about being undergunned with their issue .44 or .45 Caliber handgun since about 1847 - until recent sharp gun and ammo marketers got their big chance to push 9MM Sales to the .mil and the FBI...... And then they had to justify the new expenditures with some kind of story - like, "all ammo works the same".

Rearming the whole country with new guns and ammo is always very profitable - even (or especially) when it is totally unnecessary.

Just don't try to tell me that Observed, Documented Results from fights for over the last 100 years did not happen, just because you choose to carry the "stylish" new favorite flavor of the week....

Those that ignore history get to repeat it and relearn the same hard lessons, all over again. Back to school, I guess, for far too many. CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 05-16-2020, 11:18 PM

9mm wasn't forced on any of the tier 1 units, they chose it. And they actually shoot people with it sometimes. The 45 still works, but any ball ammo is a really lousy choice unless it's the only choice you have. Arguing over which handgun caliber works best is silly when the things that matter are... using a weapon that is proven to be reliable, attaining skill with said weapon, and shot placement. Any quality hollow point 9mm, 40 or 45 can work but only if it hits something vital.

The 1911 is an enthusiast's pistol. The best approach for most shooters is to buy a couple Glock 9mm pistols and a bunch of ammo, seek out some training from a qualified instructor, and develop your skills. I use 45 ACP because I feel it's the best cartridge for the 1911 I carry. I don't carry a 1911 just because it's a 45.