Getting started on 38 Specials - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-05-2020, 12:04 PM

for reference-

Here are pics of the tables from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for 38 Special 120gr and 125 gr lead.
Attached Thumbnails
38 special 120gr.jpg   38 special 125.jpg  
Old 04-05-2020, 12:17 PM

Buy or fabricate some kind of "Skylight" sort of lamp so that you can see all the way into the bottom of that tall, skinny case as most of the fast smokeless powders will easily double and likely triple charge the .38Spl case...except of course for Trailboss.

If you want mild and really accurate 2.6-ish grains of BE or Red Dot behind a 148gr HBWC will do the trick with a minimum of tweaking...
Old 04-05-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
Here are pics of the tables from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for 38 Special 120gr and 125 gr lead.
The Lyman data is the same as in my 50th Edition, the Lee data I haven't seen but like it. I'll reduce the max by 10%, make 10 each of the TG and BE, chronograph them and see how they feel. No idea when I'll get to the range though.
Thanks for the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Methane View Post
Buy or fabricate some kind of "Skylight" sort of lamp so that you can see all the way into the bottom of that tall, skinny case as most of the fast smokeless powders will easily double and likely triple charge the .38Spl case...except of course for Trailboss.

If you want mild and really accurate 2.6-ish grains of BE or Red Dot behind a 148gr HBWC will do the trick with a minimum of tweaking...
I use the UniqueTek skylight now, it's a good light and comes in handy when using TG. 4.0gr of TG even in a 45 case is barely visible.
Thanks
Old 04-05-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
I'd invest in carbide sizing die. That makes sizing a lot easier.
Even with carbide I try to use a smidgeon of lube. Everything goes so much easier.
“A man's rights rest in three boxes; the ballot box, jury box, and the cartridge box,”– Frederick Douglass
Old 04-05-2020, 05:41 PM

I have this UFO

http://www.kmssquared.com/ufo_h.html

reloading press light. It is simply awesome and so bright and easy to install. Have on on both of my XL650's.
“A man's rights rest in three boxes; the ballot box, jury box, and the cartridge box,”– Frederick Douglass
Old 04-07-2020, 03:13 PM

Last question at least for now. My Dillon dies arrived today, installed and adjusted without difficulty and made a few dummies. They passed the chamber gauge and fit the cylinders of the two guns I'll be using. What should the crimp measure? I have .375 and COL 1.444-446, almost ready to start throwing powder. I have never used anything but a taper crimp for semi autos, should this have a more pronounced pinch appearance at the crimp?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:35 PM

Good on the light, I couldn't believe the difference it made (I made my own for about $8)!

I started on the 550 with .45ACP and .38 Spl seems more difficult and the .357 Mag is even worse with light charges...
Old 04-07-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Good on the light, I couldn't believe the difference it made (I made my own for about $8)!

I started on the 550 with .45ACP and .38 Spl seems more difficult and the .357 Mag is even worse with light charges...
Same here, I started with 45 a few years ago and gradually started on 9mm. 38 Spl so far seems to be a lot less aggravation than 9mm, the tapered casings are a pain sometimes.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:23 PM

In my 357's I run LILGUN for some hunting loads 158g coated LFP and SD HP's . Accurate and low pressure. My 38's I run W231 with 158 g LSWCHP for SD and the same with 158g LFP coated for practice/ plinking.

Last edited by okierider; 04-07-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:09 PM

I have loaded all 3; 9 mm.,45 and 38 as used Power Pistol, worked great in all 3 so only had to stock up with one powder.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt 7291 View Post
Last question at least for now. My Dillon dies arrived today, installed and adjusted without difficulty and made a few dummies. They passed the chamber gauge and fit the cylinders of the two guns I'll be using. What should the crimp measure? I have .375 and COL 1.444-446, almost ready to start throwing powder. I have never used anything but a taper crimp for semi autos, should this have a more pronounced pinch appearance at the crimp?
You need to get used to a roll crimp in a revolver. Not much, but a roll crimp nonetheless. Super light Special loads don’t really “require” it, but it’s a good habit to get into.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:44 AM

I'm not making super light loads but starting with 90% max listed charges and going from there. I'll be using them mainly with a Model 66 Taurus or S&W 10-5. The ranges of the powder charges are not that wide to start with.
I went back and adjusted the crimp on a couple dummies I'd made. The bullet on the right is where I started when adjusting dies, the crimp looks more like a taper. On the left after a little adjustment has more of a pinched appearance and grabs the cannelure.
Does this appear to be in the ballpark?
Attached Thumbnails
FF925178-F54E-4211-B2B8-9242BBC5BF4D.jpeg   FDEB5C64-6D7B-42B1-BF67-6B83176D709B.jpeg  

Last edited by GySgt 7291; 04-08-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Looks to me like you've got the roll crimp figured out, butch.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-08-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Looks to me like you've got the roll crimp figured out, butch.
Everyone made it very easy and uncomplicated. Thanks.

Last edited by GySgt 7291; 04-08-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not making super light loads but starting with 90% max listed charges and going from there. I'll be using them mainly with a Model 66 Taurus or S&W 10-5. The ranges of the powder charges are not that wide to start with.
I went back and adjusted the crimp on a couple dummies I'd made. The bullet on the right is where I started when adjusting dies, the crimp looks more like a taper. On the left after a little adjustment has more of a pinched appearance and grabs the cannelure.
Does this appear to be in the ballpark?
Crimp looks good. Revolver ammo, IMHO, is a lot easier and forgiving when reloading than pistol ammo. The cannelure determines OAL and "enough" crimp is easily discerned by looking at it. No plunk tests, no adjusting OAL for reliable feeding. Amount of recoil will generally determine crimp. Heavy recoil makes the bullet want to "jump" outta the case as opposed to pistol ammo where the bullets get "pushed" into the case when feeding. But over-crimping when not needed will shorten case life, just as does over belling. Slower powders like H110/W296/IMR4227 like a heavier crimp for better ignition and consistent burn. You'll figure it out.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:51 PM

That's going to be fine-the only tough thing about reloading .38 Spl is seeing tiny smokeless charges in the bottom of a case that was intended for the Holy Black.

When you get it dialed in you will really like the loads you can develop. My favorite for hot loads for snubbies is 4.0gr of AA#2 behind a 158gr LSWC. The Accurate powder has some flash suppressant and it makes a difference.

For target loads there is nothing that will beat a swagged 148 gr LHBWC with a tiny charge of something fast-Red Dot, Clays, BE and the like. No recoil and will chew the x out of the target if the shooter does their part!
Old 04-08-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz 45 View Post
When I started loading for 38/357 I made the decision to buy all 357 Magnum brass and have the option of loading from mild to wild, minimized die adjusting, & no cylinder powder ring issue some have when switching from shooting 38’s to magnums. Have fun
I agree. That cylinder powder ring drove me crazy. I gave away thousands of 38spl brass just to get rid of them. Threw some in the range bucket. I won't pick up a piece of 38spl brass now. I consider it junk brass. Just like 9mm, steel cases, etc. Now it is 357 mag or nothing. But there are those who shoot 38spl and enjoy it. I found a good home for most of the brass I gave away or traded.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:32 PM

Win. 148 LWC Target

Quote:
That's going to be fine-the only tough thing about reloading .38 Spl is seeing tiny smokeless charges in the bottom of a case that was intended for the Holy Black.

When you get it dialed in you will really like the loads you can develop. My favorite for hot loads for snubbies is 4.0gr of AA#2 behind a 158gr LSWC. The Accurate powder has some flash suppressant and it makes a difference.

For target loads there is nothing that will beat a swagged 148 gr LHBWC with a tiny charge of something fast-Red Dot, Clays, BE and the like. No recoil and will chew the x out of the target if the shooter does their part!
For serious 50 yard X-ring love, duplicate Winchester 148 LHBWC Target loads.

3.1 grains of W231 and Fed Gold Metal Match primers.

You can use regular primers at 25 but to get real use Gold Metal Match at 50!

Smiles,
Old 04-08-2020, 06:35 PM

.38 Spl/.357 lead remover reamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Blue View Post
I agree. That cylinder powder ring drove me crazy. I gave away thousands of 38spl brass just to get rid of them. Threw some in the range bucket. I won't pick up a piece of 38spl brass now. I consider it junk brass. Just like 9mm, steel cases, etc. Now it is 357 mag or nothing. But there are those who shoot 38spl and enjoy it. I found a good home for most of the brass I gave away or traded.
There is a reamer made specifically to remove the ring that is slightly under sized. It is designed to be used vertically with just the weight of the reamer and holder to do the "cutting" with oil.

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 04-09-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:

on those target loads......the chumps never knew what hit em’ !
Old 04-09-2020, 03:38 PM

I took some finished rounds to the range this morning to chronograph, they performed well but chronograph results left me with a question.
My results 125gr LFN Titegroup 3.5gr 795fps Spread 56fps SD 9.86 20 rounds
Hodgdon starting load 3.2gr 856fps

I was expecting around 900fps using 3.5gr, midway of the start/max. Hodgdon shows the test barrel 7.7in and I used a 4inch, velocity difference due to barrel length correct?
Do the pressures listed vary the same way due to barrel length?
Old 04-09-2020, 03:43 PM

I've been using HP-38 aka W-231 for over 40yrs and see no reason to change. I use Winchester small pistol magnum primers as the are more consistent with ball powders and leave less unburned granules.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
I've been using HP-38 aka W-231 for over 40yrs and see no reason to change. I use Winchester small pistol magnum primers as the are more consistent with ball powders and leave less unburned granules.
I also use HP-38 but out right now, have 8lb on the way. I had TG and Bullseye on hand and both chronographed well. FPS numbers just on the low side due to shorter barrel length than load data test barrel.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I took some finished rounds to the range this morning to chronograph, they performed well but chronograph results left me with a question.
My results 125gr LFN Titegroup 3.5gr 795fps Spread 56fps SD 9.86 20 rounds
Hodgdon starting load 3.2gr 856fps

I was expecting around 900fps using 3.5gr, midway of the start/max. Hodgdon shows the test barrel 7.7in and I used a 4inch, velocity difference due to barrel length correct?
Do the pressures listed vary the same way due to barrel length?
Chamber pressure will not be affected by a shorter barrel. Velocity will be less though!