1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-08-2020, 05:13 PM

More state government confiscation of N95 masks

This time, the People's Republik of Kalifornia:

I'm just not convinced of the legality of this. I can understand a price gouging issue, but if this person bought the masks in a free market and paid for them it is his property.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:17 PM

Very little that's being done in such regards is legal....

UNTIL there is a trial, convicted, court ordered forfeiture, and the appellate process runs its course, its government theft, pure and simple....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 04-08-2020, 05:22 PM

What a lousy Newsweek article. What did the guy do wrong...simply owning them? The guy bought them before the emergency need....Didn't say he was profittering on price....and they were being sold to non profits......what basis did they claim the right to take them? Not defending the guy if he was price gouging but what exactly did he do wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2020, 04:07 AM

I’m home bound, I don’t go out much. But I understand the masks and Gloves if we’re shopping. But they say it can enter through our eyes. How about our ears? I fully don’t understand how it can’t enter our body with a face mask only.

Non washable face masks are a one shot deal, once we wear them there throw always. We’re better off with washable face masks but need to use hot water and a antibacterial soap right?

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 04-12-2020 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
Iím home bound, I donít go out much. But I understand the masks and Gloves if weíre shopping. But they say it can enter through our eyes. How about our ears? I fully donít understand how it canít enter our body with a face mask only.

Non washable face masks are a one shot deal, once we wear them there throw always. Weíre better off with washable face masks but need to use hot water and a antibacterial soap right?
Risk management. No guarantees, a mask lowers the risk Dramatically!!! Wear a ball cap hat with a visor just above your line of sight also. Wear you shooting glasses. Now you have a lowered the risk to someone hurling human-vapor with CV9 in it into your eyes dramatically. Ears, hum that is a new one for me, I don't do anything for that, but hey, wear foam ear-plugs just don't take up out until after you wash your hands.

Not so different really than going to the range and protecting yourself from blow-back from the gun, noise, and I even know people who wear a mask to block the lead-fumes. Not me, I shoot outdoors :-).

Can't advise you about washing masks though, you might find something on the CDC site.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 04-12-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Absolutely true, and in my mind, every bit as illegal as the confiscation of property under even the ASSUMPTION that property was gained as a result of illegal activity. Until there's a trial and a conviction, the "stuff" belongs to the accused.

This is nothing more than government sanctioned theft.
The article did state that he was being compensated at fair market price. I believe both sides are skirting the line a little here, but I wouldn't go as far as call it theft if he's being compensated for the items.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:15 PM

Feds seize/divert 1 million N95 masks intended for Firefighters

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...hters/2223847/
Quote:
Feds Confiscate Masks Meant for Miami-Dade Firefighters

A shipment of 1 million face masks en route to South Florida for firefighters was confiscated last week by the federal government, Miami-Dade's top emergency management official said.
Because the Federal bureaucrats know best how to squander limited resources. Right?
Old 04-24-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
The article did state that he was being compensated at fair market price. I believe both sides are skirting the line a little here, but I wouldn't go as far as call it theft if he's being compensated for the items.
The Feds decide the fair market value after they seized the items. It is theft.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:35 AM

Something is better than nothing...to a point.

The NIOSH respiratory protection standard requires a fit test for most masks used in an occupational setting. Obviously we're not talking about that here nor am I suggesting everybody should be fit tested. It is simply to make a point, the fit is as important as the material being used. Knowing how to use a mask is critical to its effectiveness and most people simply don't have the experience or training for that. So while they might have a mask on, air in and out could be bypassing the filtering material due to a poor fit against the skin.

Here's where all that is problem IMO. It appears most mask wearers have a dangerous sense of confidence - to that point that they no longer prioritize social distancing as a means of avoiding contact with the virus. Separation is still the most important part of the equation if I'm hearing the experts correctly.