Kimber Micro 9 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-01-2020, 06:25 PM

Kimber Micro 9

Think about getting a new carry gun for summer and leaning towards a Micro 9.
Partially the Nightfall DN.
Any reviews or comments would be appreciated.
Iíve probably looked at all the videos on the Micro 9ís seems to be a love hate relationship.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:21 AM

I shoot big Kimbers. Never had much use for the micro ones.

But, My wife finally decided she would like to start shooting, so bought her an M&P shield which she took a couple of classes with and did not like the controls.

I figured it would be a good excuse to try out one of these "little" Kimbers and bought one. They aren't bad! Good 1911 style controls, although I haven't made up my mind on the different functioning thumb safety.

I don't shoot as many rounds per range visit because eventually, my hand takes some abuse from the small frame and grip movement in palm of my hand. That may be some of the Love/Hate issues.

The Nightfall looks nice. I like the Covert and KHX myself. Ended up buying the two tone for my wife.

I DO love it as a back up pocket pistol, or my primary carry in my slacks pocket if I can't wear my normal OWB EDC.

I don't think you will go wrong if you buy one😁
Old 04-02-2020, 07:49 AM

I bought the Nightfall for my wife and it's a nice pistol for a compact. Accurate and eats anything I have fed it. It's a little snappy but that's what you get with the small frame. The way the safety engages was a little rough at first but gets better with use. Shop around as they can be had for a fair price. With that being said I bought her a Ruger SR1911 Officer style in 9mm just recently. Those are nice as well. For now she is still carrying the Micro but this could change soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2020, 09:00 AM

I bought a Micro 9 a few months ago and have loved it for what it is. The fact that you can pack 7+1 rounds in a 1911 style package that small and light is amazing. I made a kydex AIWB holster and it's easy to forget I even have the pistol on me.

A couple of issues with my particular pistol. At approx. 15 yards, it's shooting 5" high. Kimber says they do not have a taller front sight, so I may try to find one to purchase. I am a stickler about my pistols shooting POA to POI. I also had some failure to extract issues, which I believe stem from an extractor that's not tuned properly. I contacted Kimber about this issue and they paid to have it returned. They were super about the entire process of returning the pistol. I am hopeful extraction will be 100% when it is returned.

I typically carry a Dan Wesson ECO in 9mm. I love that pistol! It is SO accurate and easy to shoot. I feel very confident with that pistol. However, there are circumstances where I need something smaller, lighter and easier to conceal. So long as I get the above issues worked out with the Micro 9, I'll have no issues carrying it. I am amazed the Micro 9 carries only one less round than the ECO.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:15 AM

We have a Micro 380 that both my wife and I use on occasion. We love it. It's been very reliable, with the only issue being occasional failure to lock the slide back on an empty magazine. Never have had a FTF or FTE, or any other jam. Nice little pistol.

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 04-02-2020, 10:30 AM

My Micro 9 runs 100% when I do NOT load +1. If I load a full mag and +1 it sometimes fails to load the 2nd round and it is left nose-dived into the feed ramp. I have tried different ammo, different length ammo, mostly round nose. A lady at Kimber customer service told me the Micro 9 is not designed to shoot +1. I thought that was BS. Any other semi-auto pistol I have ever owned would shoot +1. I have also tried several different mags and their 8 round mag. Same thing happens. The extractor hook chipped and I sent it back to the factory. They replaced extractor, reamed chamber, polished ramp, breechface, track [whatever that is], and chamber. It still sometimes fails to feed if loaded +1. Also it has a tendency to shoot a little high. Judging from the threads on Kimbertalk.com, the +1 thing is a relatively common problem.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:10 PM

My regular EDC is a Kimber Super Carry Ultra Plus .45, or one of my Ultra's. But for summer my Micro 9 loaded with a mag full of Critical Defense shoots to POA, hides very well, and has been 100% reliable.

Nothing negative to report here, I'm satisfied with the little weapon and have complete confidence in it.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
My Micro 9 runs 100% when I do NOT load +1. If I load a full mag and +1 it sometimes fails to load the 2nd round and it is left nose-dived into the feed ramp. I have tried different ammo, different length ammo, mostly round nose. A lady at Kimber customer service told me the Micro 9 is not designed to shoot +1. I thought that was BS. Any other semi-auto pistol I have ever owned would shoot +1. I have also tried several different mags and their 8 round mag. Same thing happens. The extractor hook chipped and I sent it back to the factory. They replaced extractor, reamed chamber, polished ramp, breechface, track [whatever that is], and chamber. It still sometimes fails to feed if loaded +1. Also it has a tendency to shoot a little high. Judging from the threads on Kimbertalk.com, the +1 thing is a relatively common problem.
Kinda stubborn?
Old 04-02-2020, 01:47 PM

I've had mine about a year. Was my EDC for several months. Works great. Zero problems. I don't do +1. It's now my walkabout gun for my neighborhood.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:42 PM

Thanks for all the responses.
My biggest worry was feeding problems and that’s what I meant by love hate.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:47 PM

I do have a love hate with that 9mm. My cheap CSE runs like a top and the expensive Raptor fell apart at the range. But, I must add that Kimber took very good care of me after that incident.