No Gun Transfers???? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 10:27 PM

Our NICS checks typically take less than 10 seconds from the time I hit submit. The last few days it's taking 15-20 seconds.

You guys on dial up what????.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Our NICS checks typically take less than 10 seconds from the time I hit submit. The last few days it's taking 15-20 seconds.

Nope state BGC by the CBI.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

Back in the 90's, the dealer would make a phone call for the background check, and I'd get an approval while they were on the line.

I don't know what's happening nowadays. Maybe it's the volume, maybe it's the internet systems they're using. But my approvals vary unpredictably anywhere from minutes to days.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indynick View Post
In Michigan, if you have a CPL, you walk out with the gun.
It was that way in WA as well until last July, when the FBI suddenly decided our process for conducting state background checks for a CPL wasn't good enough to qualify. Now we have to wait 10 business days, which actually means two whole weeks. That is not just for handguns but even semi-auto rifles like a Ruger 10/22 as well.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:30 AM

I am supposed to pick up a Citori tomorrow. I hope that the request for the background check is not sent via pony express.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:09 AM

Why? Its called infringement!

No government has authority to declare a natural right as non essential. This includes freedom to practice religion, gather in a church or assemble with others for practically any reason. IMHO we also have a natural right to engage in commerce. The "commerce clause" in the US constitution was meant to REMOVE state barriers from citizens doing business with companies/people from different states, NOT an excuse for the Feds to regulate it simply because it's commerce! This has been a serious abuse of federal power since before my lifetime!

Looks like in the case, of the OP's complaint, tthe State of TN's infringement is more nagging.

Let's all pledge to practice Jury Nullification when such abuses are piled on in a court setting. Even the SCOTUS (blacks considered property for example) gets it wrong and is not the final authority over those powers granted to the people from God, or nature, if you must.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:22 AM

i usually get delayed.
only a 2 day delay this time.
picked up thursday
Attached Thumbnails
20200319_174039.jpg  
Old 03-21-2020, 10:33 AM

We are waived the call in Texas with a CHL. The 4473 must be completed but no call. It just takes a CHL, ink, 2 minutes and money. Our CHL serves as an approved background check.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
We are waived the call in Texas with a CHL. The 4473 must be completed but no call. It just takes a CHL, ink, 2 minutes and money. Our CHL serves as an approved background check.
Unless you inadvertently instead hand them your almost identical TX drivers license in error...ask me how I know? Lololololol

At least I passed and was able to bring my first ever AR home without issue! Just took about 20 minutes longer than usual - week ago yesterday.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:10 AM
Administrator

This is one of the advantages of a C&R license. Any firearm over 50 years old qualifies, which is mostly what I'm into anyway. It was very refreshing to walk into a gun shop a few weeks ago and buy a .44 Magnum revolver, and walk out with it just a few minutes later without so much as a phone call to NICS. That sort of thing is becoming increasingly rare.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipe215 View Post
Tennessee goes through the TBI. I bought a rifle yesterday at lunch and the backround didn't go through until 2:00. It's usually 3 or 4 minutes.
Yeah. Same experience here. In Tennessee, that's a slow one.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
A local LGS owner tells me that NICS Checks initiated now will not come back until 4/1/2020.
NICS is backlogged to 4/15/2020. I went to buy a pistol this morning and it’ll sit I jail until at least 4/15.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:15 PM

There is an awful lot of pure B.S. being spread around here. All background checks go thru the FBI, I don't care where you live, they go thru the FBI. They are still doing checks and will be, there is high volume right now but even so you should be able to run a check in around 1/2 an hour. It's normally about 5 minutes. Any state that makes you wait longer than it takes to do the background is the state doing that, not the federal gov. You can do a NICS on line which is supposed to be a lot quicker.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
There is an awful lot of pure B.S. being spread around here. All background checks go thru the FBI, I don't care where you live, they go thru the FBI. They are still doing checks and will be, there is high volume right now but even so you should be able to run a check in around 1/2 an hour. It's normally about 5 minutes. Any state that makes you wait longer than it takes to do the background is the state doing that, not the federal gov. You can do a NICS on line which is supposed to be a lot quicker.
Did you buy a gun today? I did and the NICS report to my local gun shop gives the date of 4/15/2020.

You think I like having my gun in jail like that? Or perhaps the State of Texas would want to restrict its residents’ Second Amendment rights?

Last edited by fnfalman; 03-21-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy phil View Post
i usually get delayed.
picked up thursday
Nice.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy phil View Post
i usually get delayed.
picked up thursday
I would say, it was well worth a 2 day wait!!!
Old 03-21-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
This is one of the advantages of a C&R license. Any firearm over 50 years old qualifies, which is mostly what I'm into anyway. It was very refreshing to walk into a gun shop a few weeks ago and buy a .44 Magnum revolver, and walk out with it just a few minutes later without so much as a phone call to NICS. That sort of thing is becoming increasingly rare.

If you got a CWP in South Carolina, you can buy a gun and be out of the store faster than you can buy Sudafed at CVS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Tennessee is a “point of contact state” which means the TBI does its own checks. It accesses the national data bases, including the FBI’s, but it’s not going “through the FBI”.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:45 PM

As much as I love seeing more Americans becoming gun owners and as much as I hate the current strain on the background check system, there are lessons to be learned here. Important lessons.

For starters, and I've said this all over the place, the entire thing reminds me of the L.A. riots. The day the riots started, people were mobbing gun stores with one thing in mind: they wanted to get home alive. But what did they learn? They learned that the "reasonable gun control" measures they had always supported, like for example, waiting periods, also applied to them and not just the "bad" people.

Now, this opinion is pretty much preaching to the choir here and on other gun forums, but the problem is that it often falls on deaf ears elsewhere. "Pfftt! Why does anyone need a GUN?!?! You can always just dial 911!!!"

But here's the other side of it. This may have also taught gun owners to keep a decent supply of ammo on hand. I'm not talking about hoarding a few million rounds, but don't assume that ammo will be available when something goes down. I stocked up as I could over time after Sandy Hook, but.... whenever I would go to shoot for fun, instead of dipping into the supply, I bought new ammo for the trip. That keeps a supply on hand.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Did you buy a gun today? I did and the NnICS report to my local gun shop gives the date of 4/15/2020.

You think I like having my gun in jail like that? Or perhaps the State of Texas would want to restrict its residents’ Second Amendment rights?
TX absolutely infringes. Last I checked, TX residents could only carry freely (even openly) outside of private property with a State permission slip, er, carry LICENSE, God be damned, eh? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Did you buy a gun today? I did and the NICS report to my local gun shop gives the date of 4/15/2020.

That is B.S., the NICS either says proceed or denies the sale, it's one or the other. Your dealer may be playing games but the FBI isn't. I do transfers.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipe215 View Post
Tennessee is a “point of contact state” which means the TBI does its own checks. It accesses the national data bases, including the FBI’s, but it’s not going “through the FBI”.
Every NICS check is a point of contact sale. Tn. may do something in addition to the NICS check but the FBI is the national controlling agency , any gun sale in the U.S. of A. goes thru the FBI.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:37 AM

In SC, if you have a CWP,you fill out the forms, but no Background Check.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:21 AM

what does CWP mean ?
Old 03-22-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
That is B.S., the NICS either says proceed or denies the sale, it's one or the other. Your dealer may be playing games but the FBI isn't. I do transfers.
Did you or did you not run a NICS yesterday? Or today?