Anyone here CC a Beretta 92/M9 IWB? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 05:35 PM

Anyone here CC a Beretta 92/M9 IWB?

Currently I either carry a SIG P938, SIG P220 full size, or a Glock 30s. Of my other stuff the only remaining double stack 9MM Glock is a 19X. I'm thinking of moving it along and replacing it with the M9/92FS. I'll keep my .45 ACP Glocks (21 & 30s) as I prefer the big bore Glocks over the 9/.40 frames. (I do have a G43 single stack on layaway, but that's a different story)

I run a M9A1 with TLR-1 by the bed and have a PAK-9 AK based 9mm pistol with brace that I can run Beretta or Glock mags with (both inserts). So on those rare occasion I go out of town or range out a little I like the idea of being able to carry the PAK-9 with the Beretta insert as I have also have three hi-cap mags for that and several standard capacity mags. I also like the idea of also having the PAK-9 handy at home matched to the nightstand gun.

I tucked the M9A1 without light (empty of course) and without holster inside my waistband at about the position I would normally carry it and where I carry my P220 and G30s just to get an idea of how it would sit. It actually sat pretty well and was positioned for good grasp and draw. With my normal untucked shirt types it didn't print.

So I'm thinking maybe go with a non-railed M9 (in the Army during the transition and competed with both M191A1 and M9 at division level) or an INOX 92FS (which I want anyway because it's a damn good looking gun) for carry and to keep loadouts consistent. Same platform for carry, toss on the gear in case of disaster or unrest, and have the braced pistol running the same mags as well. Since I already have the M9A1 w/light as a nightstand gun.

Long story for those who will say, "Why the heck you want to drag that around." I'm already dragging either a full size gun often enough. And because hey, it's me.

I know some of you guys have done this. Even if you might not want to admit it.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 01-06-2020, 06:46 PM

This video may be helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9jdO_x8hig
Old 01-06-2020, 07:18 PM

I love the 92 and have quite a few...but CCW? Nope!!! I’d need a pants two sizes up. I can’t even OWB it much less IWB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Administrator

I once carried a 92FS on occasion in a SOB holster... and I'm a small guy. It can be done, but it's not comfortable.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:32 AM

I've been carrying a similar sized and weighted pistol to the M9 edc for the past few years. The Bersa Thunder 9 Pro. I use the Vedder Comfort Tuck (IWB) in the RH 4 o'clock with a stout leather belt made for the job. Pretty comfy most all day.

HTH
Old 01-07-2020, 05:54 PM

Appreciate the responses.

TNIC, I'll check out the Vedder. I carry the full size SIG P220 in an Alien Gear Cloak 3.0 around the 3:30 - 4 o'clock and I can lay down and take a nap wearing it.

The only issue with the heavier guns of course is that like Hank Hill from King of the Hill, I suffer from diminished gluteal syndrome. That is I got belly and no butt. So without suspenders things try to drag down as I move about. Even then I have to give a tug up now and then. Happens even with my SIG P938 without a suspenders. Around here it isn't uncommon to see good ole boys tugging their jeans up so I just make it look like that.

I have a shell for the AG holster (also have the leather tuck) for a gun I don't have any longer that I can get a free exchange on. So I could go that route to try it if I do some trading for the non-railed M9/92FS.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:18 AM

I would highly recommend you take a look at the LTT Elite Centurian and compact. I have the full size that I got direct from LTT with their trigger job and it is amazing.

https://www.langdontactical.com/

My two favorites:

Last edited by CharlieLima; 01-09-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:55 AM

I can deal with a full size pistol IWB as long as it is a thin pistol. That is why 1911's and BHP's were my go to carry pistols for so many years. I still carry a Commander, but in the summer it sure is easier to carry my Glock 48.

Thin and lightweight. Downside is the euro-pellet caliber though!
Old 01-09-2020, 09:17 AM

I think it really depends on your holster type, body size and shape. I can carry a 1911 comfortably. I have a IWB holster for my 92FS but I haven't bothered to carry it yet. The IWB holsters with a inside leather flap to keep you from rubbing up against the sharper edges of the gun help a lot to make them more comfortable. But with any large handgun, fully loaded,, the weight sort of wears you down over the day.
Attached Thumbnails
EAA_1911_WitnessP_45ACP_Holster_01.jpg  

Last edited by earlwb; 01-09-2020 at 09:19 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 01-09-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I think it really depends on your holster type, body size and shape. I can carry a 1911 comfortably.. But with any large handgun, fully loaded,, the weight sort of wears you down over the day.
That's why I use Perry suspenders, takes the weight off my waist.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:06 PM

I've seen the LTT in a video. Sweet gun. For me, I'd probably just put either a D spring or the Langdon spring in. I have a D spring and metal trigger shoe kit I bought from Beretta directly that was for a 92A1 that I traded off.

I wouldn't turn down a free LTT, but for the difference in price that's a couple of cases of ball, or a partial case of HST. Truth is in the Beretta line I'm hard leaned towards the M9 for nostalgia, and it's a pretty good gun as it is, or an Inox 92FS simply because it's one of those darn good looking guns that's kind of grown on me enough to want one.

Carry wise, I like the way the gun shoots. And there is the logistics of having that and PAK-9 using the same mags for a travel kit. Karma biting me in the butt. I hated the Beretta and trashed it originally for replacing the beloved M1911A1. I still shot it for qualification, even picked up one, then the 92 they came and went in my collection over the years. I'm still not the Beretta equivalent of a Glock Fanboi. I've had the PX4 and the Cougar. Both good guns, but I don't have a real desire to have another and I don't swoon at the sight of a Beretta 92. Not like I might do at the sight of a sweet blued, pinned and recessed S&W revolver. Particularly an N Frame.

However, I have come to appreciate the 92/M9 for being a solid, good shooting, accurate, enjoyable to shoot gun. I like how it feels in the hand. With HST or any other performance JHP it's a pretty good SD gun. Not really much difference in width in practical terms from my G30s. Or a SIG P320X for that matter. 1.5" vs the 1.3" of the G30s or P320X. About the same size as CZ75B and a few ounces lighter.

Btw, I'm getting these specs from https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...2fs-vs-cz-75-b a nice side by side comparison page.

For a real interesting comparison, and it surprised me, here is the comparison between a Ruger SR1911 and the Beretta 92FS. With the exception of the .16" less width, the SR1911 is actually larger and heavier than the 92FS.

I may just have to get the shell for my M9A1 from Alien Gear and give it a carry for awhile. If it works out, then focus on trading the Glock 19X or something else towards the M9 or Inox 92. I'm actually at that point where I'm starting to want to thin the herd more and maybe get a few pieces to replace a few I got rid of years ago and just be happy there, but overall, reduce the inventory a little.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I think it really depends on your holster type, body size and shape. I can carry a 1911 comfortably. I have a IWB holster for my 92FS but I haven't bothered to carry it yet. The IWB holsters with a inside leather flap to keep you from rubbing up against the sharper edges of the gun help a lot to make them more comfortable. But with any large handgun, fully loaded,, the weight sort of wears you down over the day.
The issue with carrying a large and/or heavy sidearm concealed is that it tends to want to shift around, pull your clothes out of place, and eventually start making you feel a bit tired or sore. For me, strapping on a full-sized 1911 and spending a few hours outside isn't a big deal, but if I put it on at 7am and didn't take it off until 7pm it would really become a huge burden by the time I got home, and I wouldn't wait an extra second to take it off. By contrast my SIG P365 can stay on me all day, and within minutes of first wearing it I'll forget I even have it on me. But that heavy 1911 (or M9) however would remind me every damn second that it's there.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The issue with carrying a large and/or heavy sidearm concealed is that it tends to want to shift around, pull your clothes out of place, and eventually start making you feel a bit tired or sore. For me, strapping on a full-sized 1911 and spending a few hours outside isn't a big deal, but if I put it on at 7am and didn't take it off until 7pm it would really become a huge burden by the time I got home, and I wouldn't wait an extra second to take it off. By contrast my SIG P365 can stay on me all day, and within minutes of first wearing it I'll forget I even have it on me. But that heavy 1911 (or M9) however would remind me every damn second that it's there.
Yes, I can agree. I prefer to carry a Springfield sub-compact XD.mod 2 45ACP. I can carry it in a pocket holster. You tend to forget it is there. I found the Duluth Trading Painter Jeans with the heavy duty canvas pockets works great, although cargo pants with large pockets work too.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:49 PM

Using the suspenders and belt thing, as referred to in another thread, I've worn my full size SIG P220 all day in a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0. Other than the suspenders slipping a bit it's not been a real problem. I once did a three hour trip, spent time sitting and walking around a few hours, then the three hour trip back. I was still good when I got home. I was tired from the trip, not the gun. With that combo I've never come home and rushed to take gun off. I usually just wear it until I go to bed and take it off then.

As for dragging pants. I was having that problem today with my P938 when I went out on an errand without the suspenders. My weight fluctuates and I'm down about 6 pounds and I seem to lose it first where I can't afford to, my hips and butt. So the little P938 kept pulling down the right side of my pants today. Usually not a big deal, but today it was noticeable. Sometimes it's just the particular pants.

I had less trouble carrying the M9A1 around the house for a few hours and sitting at the computer with it tucked in my pants at my normal carry position with the belt snug, but not painful. Just a tiny bit of shift of the gun from no holster, but not much.

I will admit that carrying a 1911 in a MS SS holster doesn't ride well long term. Mostly even with the leather tab, the safety pokes me.

As much as I really like the SIG P938 it's harder to get a firing grip on from IWB. The larger guns I can position and draw better. The easiest so far for overall comfort, even laying down, and for ease of grasp and draw has to be the SIG P220 in .45 ACP. Gotta admit, I'd like to try one of the newer P220s in 10MM as a side note. However, I do prefer my older SIG over newer ones I've tried.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:44 PM

While my usual preference is for a 5 Government Model IWB, I admit to having run a 92FS for the past 8 months in a Dark Star Gear kydex IWB.
Absolutely no issues, pistol presents well (appendix or strong side, depending on loop placement), and it practically disappears under an oversized T-shirt.
Full disclosure: Im 5-7, fluctuate between 180 and 200 lbs, and built like a fire hydrant.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Yeah I'm about the same size as you, and tend to get pissed on as well.

Seriously, when I last tried CCW'ing a Beretta I was 20 years younger and about 30 pounds lighter. It would probably easier to hide today, if only my back could take it.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:09 PM

I carried an M9 in a EPS C-Force IWB for about 6 months; really had no issues. Weight was much more of an issue than the size of the pistol...and honestly, the M9 isn't as heavy as many other pistols...it's just big.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:32 PM

I CC a 92a1 daily with an OWB special from Tucker. Without a doubt one of the most comfortable holsters I own.