Help With 1911 Reassembly - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-22-2019, 03:48 PM

Help With 1911 Reassembly

Gun: Remington 1911 Recon 9mm double stack. Other than being in 9mm double stack, and with updated sights, it is similar to any other 1911.

Issues: (1) after replacing the slide assembly and inserting the slide lock lever, the slide would not go far enough forward to put the safety on safe. From what I could tell, the barrel wasn't quite going into battery. Removed slide; rechecked barrel and guide rod; reinstalled. On the fourth time, it worked, but I still do not know what was wrong. Any suggestions?

(2) Reinstalling spring plug. What can I say except it is a PITA (Pain in, etc.) Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make it easier?

Note: I have been carrying and shooting a 1911 for more than nine years. But my previous pistol was a Kimber CDP Pro in .45. It had a captive recoil spring, so did not have a barrel bushing or spring plug. I've had the Remington for a year, love carrying and shooting it, but still find reassembly to be a PITA. I know the original was designed to be lubed under combat conditions, so there has to be an easier way? Or isn't there?

Thanks in advance to any responses. Hope all readers have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or whatever makes you happy.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:59 PM

I'm no expert, but make sure the barrel link hole is what you're inserting the slide stop pin into. It's easy to miss it.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:19 PM

X2 for missing the hole in the link.
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019, 10:57 PM

Thank you, but I learned with the Kimber to check the slide after inserting the slide stop. If the pin is not correctly in the link hole, the slide will come off the frame. So, I check that the slide is secure before rotating the slide stop lever up into position. Or is it possible for the pin to keep the slide on the frame even if it is not in the link hole?
Old 12-23-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKCircle View Post
(2) Reinstalling spring plug. What can I say except it is a PITA (Pain in, etc.) Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make it easier?
I mostly use what is sometimes called the "gunsmith mount" for mounting and dismounting the slide. It's easier on tender thumbs, or blingy smooth spring plugs, etc.

Disassembly:

Grasp slide, push back, remove slide stop

Wrap hand around barrel and dust cover

Allow slide to move forward off frame. As the spring tunnel clears the dust cover, put finger(s) on exposed recoil spring

Set frame aside, carefully remove plunger and spring from barrel lugs without shooting them across the room.

Reassembly:

Put barrel in slide.

Insert spring plug and bushing, lock bushing

Install spring and plunger, holding the plunger down against the barrel feet with your fingers

"Offer up" the frame to the slide, opening fingers as they get in the way of the dust cover

Squint through the hole to line up link. Move slide back and forth trying to line things up. Curse. Shake vigorously. Move slide some more. Curse again. Use toothpick or chopstick (also good for tight AR15 takedown pins) to line link up with holes

Install slide stop without scratching frame

DONE!

------------------------

There are several types of full length guide rods (FLGRs). If you have a one piece rod with a hole for a paper clip you just push the slide back until you can get the paper clip into the hole, and then you can remove the slide stop, slide, and guide rod bits without having to keep the spring under control with your fingers.

Last edited by TRX302; 12-23-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:57 PM

Thank you!

That sounds as if it should work well. I will try it next time. THANK YOU. Have a very merry Christmas (or whatever you celebrate at this time of year) and a happy New Year!