DVC Omni, in a slave state. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 05:59 PM

DVC Omni, in a slave state.

Wednesday, after nearly 9 months of hunting and waiting, my dream gun, one of the last new Omni's (not dvc p) in the wild arrived at my local ffl. Being that I live in CT, and we have a 10 round limit, my FFL was forced to retain the factory standard capacity magizines. I ordered a set of 10 round 45 acp mags, but have learned apon picking them up today, that 120mm mags are too short for the pistol. Now, I'm struggling to find information regarding what my options are. Which magizines are legal in CT that will work with this pistol?! I found a couple of 10 round 126mm in 45, but the item description states they are not compatible with magazine wells. I cannot find a 140mm 10 round in 45.As my dream, is slowly turning into a nightmare I'd appreciate any help!
Old 11-02-2019, 06:34 PM

I'm not familiar with the OMNI, but if it is like my STI-Costa-Cary comp with a full grip and competition mag well, they - STI/partner's -do (not) make a Generation 2 magazine to fit this gun. The only 10 R Gen 2 45 mags fit the guns with no magwell as I understand it anyway...I love my CCC, and I think STI CS is champs, but they really let us inglorious bastard's with 45 acp guns in lefty states holding the bag...I've called them for several years now asking about it and always get the BS story. I don't think they will ever make gen 2 10R mags for these guns as a guess. STI is practically becoming a 40 cal and under shop these days anyway with only a few exceptions. So I guess they arn't going to make a gen 2 for us who have 10R 45 as an even smaller group of shooters.

I would call STI and tell them you need to purchase some 10R mags 45 for your omni, they may sell them to you (if they have any gen 1's left), send you to Dawson Precision or Brazo's if they have them. Last Gen 1 I purchased about a year+ or so was from Brazo's. It was a left over piece of junk (the base plate wouldn't even fit correctly on it), Brazo wouldn't refund my money (I was very surprised), and he told me to go ask STI to fix it. I had to send the entire gun back to STI so they could tune the piece of junk (kept falling out of my gun when fully loaded - lol!). Haven't used it enough to see if the STI fix will have any lasting effect.

I take it you couldn't find a 10R OMNI when you purchased your gun. I was able to do so, but this was before the G2's came along so I got 2 10R G1 with the gun. Maybe STI will do a swap with your mags no charge if they have any G1's left.

In NJ, we can use higher cap mags but need to put something in the magazine to prevent it from holding more than 10R, And them EPOXY the sucker's shut at the baseplate. I did this for some of my plastic guns, but is sucks, wouldn't want to bet my life on these mags. Not sure of CT gives you that option.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 11-02-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware thst it'd be so difficult to fit a mag to this thing. I had read through a ton of info and the 10 round issue never came up, particularly since my ffl stated that getting appropriate mags wouldn't be an issue. Well, fingers crossed that I can figure something out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXK View Post
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware thst it'd be so difficult to fit a mag to this thing. I had read through a ton of info and the 10 round issue never came up, particularly since my ffl stated that getting appropriate mags wouldn't be an issue. Well, fingers crossed that I can figure something out!
Agree, it isn't rocket science. Any decent manufacture makes 10 R mags. It sticks out as a screw up by STI in otherwise a great company. So for now you have to find Gen 1 garbage mags for your gun. As mention, start by calling STI tomorrow. And if you get any update on G2 45 for our gun's please post what they say.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 11-03-2019, 07:52 AM

And the hunt for g1 mags begins! I have emails out to a ton of vendors, dealers and STI themselves. I'll certainly be turning over as many stones as possible, and will certainly post an update on the G2 mags if there's anything new to add. Let's hope that something good happens. Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:40 PM

I’ll check my magazine bin and see if I have any.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:53 PM

And boom! Five 126mm 10 round 45acp mags. I’d sell as a lot but not individually.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:58 PM

Just got back from the range...The STI-CC shot awesome - had a great day for speed and accuracy, but the piece of crap my 3rd G1 45 10R I got from Brozo's, and STI was suppose to tune, fell out of the gun again -LOL...Otherwise the other 2 G1's and the gun ran great.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 11-04-2019, 01:01 PM

One more option would be to change out your grip to a 120mm length carry grip then you can use standard 120mm/10 round mags. You wouldn’t be able to use a magwell though. About $250 for the Extreme Shooters grip.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:07 PM

Well crap, I just reread your initial post about the 126 mm mags not seating with the mag well. I tested them out on my CCC and they are correct it will not seat with a mag well. You may be able to trim the top of the base plates at an angle to get them to work but not certain.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:16 PM

I reached out to MBX to see if they can make a 140mm 10 rounder for you. Their mags are a little pricey but are the gold standard.

Any chance you can run the gun without the magwell?
Old 11-04-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
I reached out to MBX to see if they can make a 140mm 10 rounder for you. Their mags are a little pricey but are the gold standard.

Any chance you can run the gun without the magwell?
Do they make 45 mags that will also work in 10R Infinity double stacks?
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 11-04-2019, 01:28 PM

They’re currently not making limited 10 in 45acp in any length or format. That’s why I sent them an email to see if they can and are interested.

Have you reached out to SVI? I’m pretty sure they can make you 10 round SVI mags, those guys are amazing smiths and have excellent customer service.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
They’re currently not making limited 10 in 45acp in any length or format. That’s why I sent them an email to see if they can and are interested.

Have you reached out to SVI? I’m pretty sure they can make you 10 round SVI mags, those guys are amazing smiths and have excellent customer service.
SVI converted my 3 38 s 15r to 10R last december. The gun has not run the same since...The magazines don't lock back at all and about 25% of the time I get a stove pipe at the same time - when the mag runs empty only (no stove pipes otherwise)...

First they blamed my ammo, ok I'll shoot any ammo "you" want, then they blamed limp wrist. Yea, OK, I have 13 other semi-auto's and they all work 100% all the time, sure it is limp wrist...I just got it back last week from SVI, it cost me over 350$ round trip "postage", shot it today also, no gun I own shoots better, but the mag issue with 25% stove pipes (only after last round) is still the same. Very disappointed in their Customer Service, don't seem to want to take any ownership for fixing their guns. It is only 2 years old with about 1200 Rounds. Awful shame.

They ain't no WC, or STI, or S.A., or walther, or so many other great CS outfits. I guess they feel they can do whatever they want and charge whatever they want given their guns shoot so well and maintain a high demand in the competition markets.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 11-04-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:01 PM

MBX response to the question, “would you be interested in making them?”

“ Not sure but maybe in the near future.”
Old 11-05-2019, 05:56 AM

Thanks so much for all of the reply and help. It seems there's no simple commercially available solution currently, but there's a bit of hope. Firstly, mbx responded as noted avobe, by saying that they don't produce a compatible magazine, and stated that there's simply not enough demand. A rep from speedshooters.com responded by claiming that the 126mm mags should work fine, but we know that he's not taking the magwell into consideration, so I may purchase one and attempt to shave the base plate and Jerry rig it. Perhaps there's a work around there. The final bit of good news is that my ffl offered to block the 140mm magazines that the pistol shipped with. It's something atleast, and although not optimal, atleast I'll be able to shoot what otherwise is a 4k paperweight! I'm also beginning to wonder if there's a custom fabrication shop out there somewhere that has the ability to re purpose a couple of 140mm magazines into 10 round mags in a cleaner more efficient manner. The possibilities of purchasing a shorter grip, and/or removing the magwell are certainly not off the table, but all things considered I'd rather find a work around before altering the Omni. Those options are certainly not off the table, however. Thanks again for all of the information and the attempts to help with this issue!
Old 11-05-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXK View Post
Thanks so much for all of the reply and help. It seems there's no simple commercially available solution currently, but there's a bit of hope. Firstly, mbx responded as noted avobe, by saying that they don't produce a compatible magazine, and stated that there's simply not enough demand. A rep from speedshooters.com responded by claiming that the 126mm mags should work fine, but we know that he's not taking the magwell into consideration, so I may purchase one and attempt to shave the base plate and Jerry rig it. Perhaps there's a work around there. The final bit of good news is that my ffl offered to block the 140mm magazines that the pistol shipped with. It's something atleast, and although not optimal, atleast I'll be able to shoot what otherwise is a 4k paperweight! I'm also beginning to wonder if there's a custom fabrication shop out there somewhere that has the ability to re purpose a couple of 140mm magazines into 10 round mags in a cleaner more efficient manner. The possibilities of purchasing a shorter grip, and/or removing the magwell are certainly not off the table, but all things considered I'd rather find a work around before altering the Omni. Those options are certainly not off the table, however. Thanks again for all of the information and the attempts to help with this issue!
What did STI say? Do they have any 10R G1's in the "bunker" out-back? And are the "ever" going to do a G2?
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 11-05-2019, 06:45 AM

When I initially contacted sti customer service, I forgot to mention that the 10 round mags I'm searching for are 45 acp. They messaged yesterday morning for clarification and I responded. No response back! I think that thier silence speaks pretty loudly. I'll update if the respond.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Here's the response that finally came this morning from STI.

"Shane, I have some unfortunate news. The 10 round 45 magazines are still in development, so we currently do not have any that can either be ordered or that I could send you.

Did you have your dealer order that gun through STI or was that purchased from another location like a gunbroker?"
Old 11-05-2019, 10:18 AM

I don't have any need for 10 round magazines but as far as 126mm magazines go they all fit, gen1 & gen 2, in my full length grips with the tactical slim magwells so I'm a bit confused.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:16 PM

@Markm. I'm new to the board and can't figure out how to quote a specific response.

Anyway, thank you for the info. It's amazing how many responses I've received from folks with different experiences and opinions regarding the 126mm mags and full size Grips. I've ordered one, and I'm going to give it a go.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:18 PM

Also, for those who are interested in my conversation with STI:
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20191105-161731_Email_1572988683906.jpg