Stolen M1911A1 1939 #731649 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 08:13 AM

Stolen M1911A1 1939 #731649

This pistol was my grandfathers, passed down to my Dad, and was going to be passed down to me when my father passes.. Unfortunately some person who im not 100% sure off has walked away with it.. Im trying to track it down... Im not sure im in the correct forum as im new to this forum.. Anybody who can help or who has ideas on how to find a missing piece please give your advice.. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
received_805676069900734_1589721171380.jpeg  
Old 05-17-2020, 08:44 AM

Welcome. And although I have no suggestions to help, I hope you have success in recovering your heirloom!
Joe
Old 05-17-2020, 09:25 AM

Might be helpful if you mention what part of the country you live in. I would also report it to the police. Even if it is used in the commission of a crime you might get it back...... someday.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Administrator

If it has been taken by someone without the owner's knowledge or consent then it qualifies as stolen, even if by a family member, and a police report needs to be made. Otherwise any pawn shop or gun store that runs the serial number won't know it is stolen, and it'll change hands again and be lost forever. Also, you won't be able to claim it without a police report as it'll just be your word against the new owner's that it is stolen property. Pistols like this are worth several thousand dollars, possibly over five figures if everything is matching and correct. Hopefully it's not in the hands of somebody who'll just trade it for a small bag of meth or rob a 7-11 with it, and have it wind up being melted down with a bunch of other confiscated firearms. The only way to hopefully prevent that is to make sure the police have its info on record so that it might someday be returned to you.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 05-17-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:00 PM

File Police report. Start checking local Pawn & Gun shops. You may even want to give them a heads-up to be on the look out for it if they'll listen to you. Some Jurisdictions are not require to do a stolen check before re-selling guns that come in.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:22 PM

Without sounding "flip", yours is a 1941 Colt. Shipped on 28 June, 1941. That might help with the description when you file a police report.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:01 PM

Can you give a region where it was stolen from? Like Dallas area? Atlanta? Seattle? This may help so people in those areas can be on the lookout for it. Also what are the circumstances around how was it stolen? Home burglary? Left in a vehicle? At a gun range? Taken by a family member? Was this recent? This will also help understand where it might turn up.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:23 PM

Yes, get the serial number and description into the national stolen property data base used by law enforcement. (NICS)

When firearms are encountered by LEO's serial numbers are run as a matter of routine.

There is also a website(s) where firearms enthusiasts can list stolen firearms so potential buyers can check prior to purchases. And owners can get reunited with their guns. (Not sure how this happens though!)

Google: "Stolen firearms database"

All the best,
Old 05-18-2020, 01:34 AM

It was lifted in Tacoma Area around the first of the year. I was hoping i would be able to track it down before i got the police involved..my hope is that id be able to give the person who took it a moment of clarity before the owner (my dad) files a police report. I have the original leather holster that goes with it. I appreciate everybodys advice who has commented.. This would be a major loss if its not recovered.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:48 AM

Have you tried with FACEBOOK ?
There is a group of 1911 enthusiasts, I'm one of them; perhaps you could post a picture and a few data of you dads' pistol.
Who knows maybe somebody could help you.

Last edited by Sergio Natali; 05-18-2020 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:34 AM

In the world of stolen guns waiting more than a day after you realize your guns are gone to make a police report makes it even more difficult to ever recover them. As laws change that make reporting stolen firearms mandatory an unreported stolen gun can become a major liability. Don't wait.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:09 AM

Sounds like you already have a good idea who took it. That said, after 5 months to report it by now it could be anywhere in the free world. Report it now and let the police deal with it.

Last edited by Texraid; 05-18-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:35 AM
Administrator

If you have a good idea who took it only you would know if the person likely still has it or if he has probably sold or traded it to someone else. In any event, by now they've had plenty of time to realize the error of their ways and return it, so like the others have said the longer your dad waits to file a police report the harder it's going to be to get it back.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:35 PM

As a retired lawman I would suggest report in stolen/lost/missing ASAP.

Firearms take mysterious routes once they are acquired by the criminal element. Since it has probably never been registered the first to register it is the legal owner.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoon2020 View Post
It was lifted in Tacoma Area around the first of the year. I was hoping i would be able to track it down before i got the police involved..my hope is that id be able to give the person who took it a moment of clarity before the owner (my dad) files a police report. I have the original leather holster that goes with it. I appreciate everybodys advice who has commented.. This would be a major loss if its not recovered.
Taken from the Pacific Northwest it could be in Florida or the worst case scenario Mexico by now.

The moment of clarity does not usually happen until they hit rock bottom, i.e. homeless, eating trash and stealing from family. A family heirloom from WWII does not mean anything to somebody who needs their next drink, pill or shot.

Good luck my friend.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:03 PM

About 6 months ago I bought a Winchester 1894 Trapper at a pawnshop.
A month later I saw a post from a newcomer on a local gun forum. The guy was looking for his Dad’s Trapper that was stolen by his brother and sold at a pawnshop. His brother admitted this.
His Dad had inherited it from his Dad so it had sentimental value.
He had gone to the pawnshop and they wouldn’t tell him anything.
Of course, I sold it to the guy for what I paid which was easily $200 under market value.
Somebody who is stealing to support a habit isn’t going to hold onto it long.
Post on local gun forums, maybe even put a wanted ad on Craigslist.
Good luck to you.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:53 PM

All I could say is your lucky you don't live in NY, Nassau or Suffolk County. Cause your dad would have his permit pulled. If he has one and it is in his name, and lose all his firearms. Especially after waiting 5 months to report it missing. If no permit someone be going to jail in your family.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:20 AM

As someone already mentioned, according to the serial number given, your dad's pistol would be a 1941. There's a huge difference in value between a 1939 and a 1941. (monetarily speaking, anyway) Also like others have said... sounds like you have a good idea who took it. I wouldn't be wasting time around here or anywhere else. I would be filing a police report ASAP.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
As someone already mentioned, according to the serial number given, your dad's pistol would be a 1941. There's a huge difference in value between a 1939 and a 1941. (monetarily speaking, anyway) Also like others have said... sounds like you have a good idea who took it. I wouldn't be wasting time around here or anywhere else. I would be filing a police report ASAP.
Absolutely agree, if you have an idea who stole it what are you doing here.
Is something gets stolen should be immediately reported to the Police, especially a firearm.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:18 AM
Administrator

In the military, if a weapon turns up missing EVERYONE in the unit is held accountable until it is found. Civilians should be the same way. If one of your firearms disappears suddenly then you should leave no stone unturned and you should grill everyone who could possibly have been in contact with it. It doesn't matter if they're family. Hurting their feelings is better than the weapon ending up somewhere where it hurts someone for real.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che View Post
As a retired lawman I would suggest report in stolen/lost/missing ASAP.

Firearms take mysterious routes once they are acquired by the criminal element. Since it has probably never been registered the first to register it is the legal owner.
What's this "registration" you speak of?

In Free America there is no such thing.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:02 PM
Administrator

While technically not a registry, ATF will typically trace firearms back to the original 4473 form filled out by the original purchaser. They say those records are destroyed after a period of time, but do you really believe it?

And here in WA state we have a "silent" registry where sales of all handguns and semi-auto rifles are reported to the Department of Licensing. A long time ago while renewing my concealed weapons permit the officer asked me if I wanted him to print the list of all the guns it said I had. Turns out every handgun I ever bought since the Dawn of Time was still on that list, including ones I sold off many years ago. The officer just shrugged and told me not to worry about it.

Last edited by dsk; 06-01-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:46 PM

This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGrunt View Post
What's this "registration" you speak of?

In Free America there is no such thing.
Re: Post #14!

Well here ya go! California gun registration!

Although intrusive for sure, it hastens the process of proving ownership of recovered stolen firearms!

Google: "California gun registration?": Firearm Ownership Report through the California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS). For more information regarding this process please visit the Firearms Reporting and Law Enforcement Gun Release Application page. Record ownership through a purchase or transfer of a firearm from a licensed firearm dealer in California.

As a LEO I was required to register all my firearms according to Department General Orders. At the time it was voluntary for residents.

All the best,

Last edited by jjfitch; 06-01-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
Re: Post #14!

Well here ya go! California gun registration!

Although intrusive for sure, it hastens the process of proving ownership of recovered stolen firearms!

Google: "California gun registration?": Firearm Ownership Report through the California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS). For more information regarding this process please visit the Firearms Reporting and Law Enforcement Gun Release Application page. Record ownership through a purchase or transfer of a firearm from a licensed firearm dealer in California.

As a LEO I was required to register all my firearms according to Department General Orders. At the time it was voluntary for residents.

All the best,
California isn't Free America.

A trace on a 4473 only works on new firearms sold through a standard distribution system.

Once that firearm is sold in a private sale, which is legal in Free America, the trail ends.