Fit and finish - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-11-2020, 07:17 PM

Fit and finish

I just got my first Colt 1911, a Competition Govt 9mm and I really do like it, but after working on it some and cleaning it, the fit and finish, especially the fit, is a little better on my Ruger SR1911 and my Sig 1911's. I know that is not what a lot of Colt guys want to hear, but I am not all that overly impressed. Don't get me wrong, it is a really nice gun, but so is my Ruger. The out of the box trigger was better on the Colt which I kinda expect on the Competition model, but a little polishing and they are pretty much equal. JMHO
Attached Thumbnails
sr1911.JPG   1911colt.JPG  

1911's: Sig Ultra Compact 9mm, Sig Texas Silver 45, Sig Texas Gold 45, Ruger Stainless 45, Ruger Night Watchman CMD 45, Ruger Lightweight CMD 9mm, Custom Springfield 1911 A1 45, Springfield EMP 4 9mm, Kimber Master Carry Pro 9mm

Last edited by FFLMike; 04-11-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:32 PM

And I sent my CMD back to Ruger because it shot low and threw brass in my face. Sent me a new gun, sent it back because fit on bbl end was loosey goosey(worst I've ever seen) and it shot low. They installed a long link to tighten it up and told me they don't care whether it shoots low or not. They did put a black sight on it where I could file it down. I've owned 4 Colts, all 4 worked. Still have 3 of them, one was stolen. But, the slide to frame on the Ruger was fitted tighter than the Colts, don't mean a THING!.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:44 PM

Sorry I said anything. That is why I posted this in the Ruger forum. I said it was JMHO.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1911's: Sig Ultra Compact 9mm, Sig Texas Silver 45, Sig Texas Gold 45, Ruger Stainless 45, Ruger Night Watchman CMD 45, Ruger Lightweight CMD 9mm, Custom Springfield 1911 A1 45, Springfield EMP 4 9mm, Kimber Master Carry Pro 9mm

Last edited by FFLMike; 04-11-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2020, 08:55 PM

I noticed some of what the OP stated. I have owned a few Colts, I still have two. One is a 1918 warhorse from my father and a Colt parts gun (slide and frame). The others I sold off. I think my Ruger has pluses over the Colts. Not overwhelming... but enough to notice. I guess with given samples the opposite could be true.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 04-12-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:18 PM

The first time I took it apart, I had to smooth out parts to get them to go together smoothly. Not a big deal, but never had to do that on the Sig's or the Ruger. The slide stop was very rough, enough that it was even difficult to remove, but really hard to reinstall. Easy enough to smooth it out , but...

Old 04-20-2020, 07:15 AM

Colt supposedly has fewer MIM parts than the SR1911s. Value wise, I've kept the Rugers and sold the Colts. Fit, finish, and for looks, I really like the Rugers!

The average Joe will be influenced by the Colt logo!!
Old 04-20-2020, 07:19 AM

The fit of my Rugers is definatly better that the Colt, especially the commander. It is very tight.

Last edited by FFLMike; 04-20-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:24 AM

I have eye'd the Colt Competitions for awhile now. I was reading some decent things about those pistols and getting one started to appeal to me in a serious way. I almost pulled the trigger on one in a trade - which didnt' happen. Recently I have seen more of the usual Colt characteristics being discussed. Not bad...just Colt...at a really good deal I'd get one. With another Ruger, all I need is fit a slide stop and EGW grip safety and I would be good to go.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 04-20-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:29 AM

Yep. I actually got a good deal on the Colt, and I'm not sorry I got it, but had to fit some parts especially the slide stop just to get it to go back together properly. Fairly accurate, but the name "Competition" wouldn't actually describe the accuracy, LOL.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:40 AM

Hi Mike. I love Colts. I have 9 Colt 1911s. But you're right. Colt, like most of the normal/average/mid-level 1911 manufacturers, slaps a gun together and sends it out the door. I'm guessing the differences with the Competition model are the sights and the three-hole, aluminum trigger. I doubt that there's any additional fitting. The marketing VP comes up with a new model that they have the parts for and voila, the Competition model.

If you're just into the quality versus money equation, then Colt is just like Ruger, Remington, Springfield, RIA, and others, although maybe a bit more expensive than most. They build guns as cheaply as their quality standards, labor costs, and all other costs will allow. They barely keep their head above water as it is. When I buy a Colt, I remember the history and the heritage behind the brand. I look at a new Colt as a gun I may have to tweak a bit. But I don't mind. I pretty much do that with all my guns. It's a bummer that it didn't shoot exactly how you wanted it to shoot, but you can fix those problems. You just have to determine if it's worth it for you.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:20 AM

If you're just into the quality versus money equation, then Colt is just like Ruger, Remington, Springfield, RIA, and others, although maybe a bit more expensive than most. They build guns as cheaply as their quality standards, labor costs, and all other costs will allow. They barely keep their head above water as it is. When I buy a Colt, I remember the history and the heritage behind the brand. I look at a new Colt as a gun I may have to tweak a bit. But I don't mind. I pretty much do that with all my guns.

I think most of us really into the 1911 understands the need to tweak and bring up to our personal needs and standards the rank and file pistols. With todays technology (yep, I uttered the cliche) it is possible for many manufacturers to build a closer toleranced but affordable pistol. What I see is a company or two doing well on off the line barrel fit, another on internal parts qualities, some good features, some better exterior fit/finish, etc.. But none seem to do all of those. So buyers chose the pistol from experience with sound reputations for the major characteristics of that brand.
Itís obvious I am not a Colt fan but I am not a non-fan. I respect Coltís 1911 parts and acknowledge some features I do admire. Too bad they canít more of it together at a fair price to garner more customer base. Just my consumerís observation.

Last edited by Magnumite; 04-20-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:28 AM

I agree!

PS. I bought a G34 a few months ago. It wouldn't run with an SRO (red-dot optic). Sent it back to Glock. They did nothing to fix it. Took it to a local gunsmith who fixed it. It's not just Colts, it's most of them.

Last edited by bradsvette; 04-20-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:52 PM

tis true
Old 04-20-2020, 12:58 PM

Thats right, but Ruger may have one of the customer service policies I have seen.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:28 PM

My experience owning both is similar. Ruger for their part puts out a very good product for its price point. I had a Ruger for a while as well as a Colt XSE, which I still have. I only let it go because it was not as accurate as the colt
Old 04-21-2020, 08:13 AM

Fit and finnish is a term used often on gun forums. Honestly, when most of us purchase a firearm we are already in love with and are impressed with our purchase. As we take it down for the first cleaning or take it out for the first shooting session we really want it to continue to earn the love and respect we had when we made the decision to buy it. Sometimes the new wears off and we start to see imperfections and we aren't as enchanted with it as we once was. Personally, I am a long time Ruger fan and I have had many Ruger handguns continue to earn my respect and appreciation for years to come, and if I did have an issue their customer service reputation is impeccable.

When I bought my last 1911 I was down to deciding between the Ruger stainless steel SR1911 commander size in 45acp and a Kimber Stainless Target in 9mm. Between these two pistols, I was much more impressed with the Kimber than I was with the Ruger. The Kimber was more tightly fitted and the overall finish both inside and on the exterior in my opinion was much better. I have owned the pistol now for over a year and the new hasn't worn off, I'm still happy with my decision. Sorry for my rambling on here, but the jist of my post is that "fit and finnish" discussion is a highly personal thing and means different things to different people.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:53 AM
Banned

Unfortunately I don't think for most here that your experience with Colt is a surprise. You can actually spend more and there's a good chance you might be unhappy with the finish but not the fit of a Les Baer. Or at least that's what I have read.

Personally I think it helps to do a bit of research on most products especially those for which you have certain expectations. Nothing like experience but I don't necessarily need to bloody my knuckles when others are more willing to share their experiences. Colt for example tends to work for a vast number of people but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good fit for everybody and generally when it comes to mass produced items your not paying for perfect.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Step 1: buy a Colt
Step 2: send it off the Alchemy/Nighthawk/Wilson to be property fit and ensure function.

Option Step 1: Buy a Les Baer after you have saved some more.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:07 AM

^^^ stop at step 2. If properly fit includes a barrel fitted. From my observation and experience the Baer would be step down. Had a WC marked Colt Gov't Model...great gun, consistent in every perspective. Wasn't what I was into so I did sell it for a profit. I do regret the sale of it.

Last edited by Magnumite; 04-21-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:45 PM

As close as I can come to sort of an accurate experience is in the fall of 2012 I bought a SR1911 on a "hunting sale" for $599. Got to look at it before I bought it but the the LGS would not let someone field strip a new pistol. About a month later they had another sale and I bought another one for $605 (prices before sales tax). It also looked nice when I looked it over, and the store did let you dry fire them.

Now I had two SR1911s which were nice. When I got around to bagging them both on the same day with the same ammo one grouped better at 25 and 50 yards. The one that did better got the "Wings" grips ordered off shopruger.com.

Now in between buying the two SR1911s I saw a Colt GCNM MkIV Series 80 "round top" at the same LGS. Of course they put the Colts on the bottom of three shelves. Usually the Kimbers get the top shelf. Anyway the fit and finish on the Colt was very nice. so I bought it. I had to use a wrench to turn the bushing when I first field stripped it. It had rubber wrap around grips and I replaced those in this picture with some wood stocks from the old Ajax Co.

Anyway the Colt impressed me to the point I put in in a Ransom Rest and was getting about three inch groups at 50 yards. I think it could have done better had I wanted to play with the ammo I was shooting. Of course in 2013 Colt started putting wood stocks on them and grooving the front of the frame again.

Back to the SR1911s. One I kept and the other I loaned out to friends who wanted to try a 1911. One fellow bought the loaner several years ago and likes it.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:49 PM

I have 3 SR1911's, the stainless 5", Night Watchman commander, both in 45 and a Lightweight commander in 9mm. I just bought another Colt Competition in 45. This one is much better. I replaced the dual spring with a regular 16 lb. My opinion is that the SR1911's are as good or maybe even a tad better than the Colts. Just my opinion mind you. Both are great guns. I especially like that they are series 70. I also have 3 Sig 1911's that are basically like series 80 but have external extractors, which I find to be very effective and they are excellent guns also.

Last edited by FFLMike; 04-29-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:57 PM

As for an above statement to buy a Colt and send it off for custom treatment, why not buy a custom 1911 to start with, LOL. Also JMHO

Old 05-01-2020, 10:31 AM

Only have a couple hundred rounds through my SR1911, but?

With ONE quick spring adjustment, it had no rattles when shaken. Slide was smooth as glass. DID "dry fire" it a couple thousand times & hit a few bits with crocus cloth for a very smooth trigger pull.

WAY happy with it & it hits what I shoot at. Oh, it also feeds every damn bit of garbage I put in the magazine.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:53 AM

I say my Ruger 10mm is a great gun fit is still tight after almost 2000 rounds through it. I have owned 4 other Ruger 1911 all good pistols only had trouble with government model minor deal with something I don’t remember fixed myself. I did have to get 9mm refinished a Ruger just sent me a new pistol great CS.
My old 70 series Colt is loose but still shoots good collet bushing helps bunch. I picked up felt new Colt loose as could be to me probably shot fine but was surprised how loose fit was on $900 plus dollar gun.
My best factory guns out of box are definitely DW hands down definitely a step up from lots of others until you get Semi custom pistols.
Roc1
Old 05-17-2020, 12:04 AM

I have owned many Ruger handguns and rifles over manyy years and always found them well made and a good value. But I must say the 10mm 1911 Ruger I bought a couple of years ago was a big disapointment! It had absolutely the worst bore of any new handgun I ever bought. It looked like they used a broken bit to bore it out. There were deep chatter marks down the entire length. It actually didn't shoot too bad but I can't believe it escaped QC and was shipped that way. It was the last Ruger I have bought.