Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-17-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbert0005 View Post
OK

Full detail strip
Deburr every sharp edge on every part, especially the frame and slide rails. That is what causes the galling, edges too sharp. Don't forget the trigger bow.

The only edges that I leave sharp are the hammer and sear interface surfaces.

Polish every flat on every part. This will include the trigger bow channel and the sides of the frame where the hammer slides into. Brownels even sells a stone specifically for the trigger bow track.

This works for me.

Bob

As an added bunus you will find you have a much smoother trigger pull as well.
Bob, we think alike. My 10 year old thread "New gun initial preps" in the Good Reads sticky at the top of this forum discusses the same things. Pictures not there as the ISP killed hosting them and I since the thread is locked, no way to repost them.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=251781
-=[Bob]=- COTEP #192
Retired "mustang" naval officer & retired "zoomie" federal manager
DW CCOx2, CBOB + RZ45, Colt MKIV, CD EFS, P45C/T, BHP MKIII, FM M90, PT99AF, M681-1, 689, P238, MK678II

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
Old 12-17-2019, 07:36 PM

I have been saying these things fir just as long as well.

Time does not change what works.

Bob
Old 05-09-2020, 12:51 PM

Will be breaking a new "old stock" duty treat" V-Bob 9mm. In regards to ammunition, I have a large surplus of Federal 115 grain FMJ Round Nose. Would this be suitable for the break in? New to the 1911's ..... thanks in advance
Old 05-09-2020, 01:22 PM

Yep, Federal is preferred in DW's.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
DW recommends cleaning every 50 rounds for the first few hundred rounds, but I haven't done it with the 3 stainless Valors I've owned. I lube before each session and clean every 1000 rounds like every other handgun I own. I lube heavy for the first 1000 rounds, though. My oldest Valor has 5000 rounds on it and my newest has 200.
I did that on my First DW Pm-45 with FP-10 up to 1000 rounds and every effort to break in the DW keeps the Doctor away.

Another good Idea from a Forum member; I applied on my new PM-9, cleaned & lubed then work the slide over 50 racks up to 500 then shot and cleaned every 100 up to 500. The first lube and rack sped up the break in, smooth as glass.

I'll agree, my way is "Nutty" but DW's worth the extra effort .........