1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-09-2019, 12:49 AM

Interested in Build kit

Hello,
Is the freedom series ‘build kit’ with serialized frame basically just assemble all parts together? Or how much filing & fitting needed?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Engraving View Post
Hello,
Is the freedom series ‘build kit’ with serialized frame basically just assemble all parts together? Or how much filing & fitting needed?

Thanks.
Have you ever built a 1911? It's very different from assembling an ar15.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopknockious View Post
Have you ever built a 1911? It's very different from assembling an ar15.
Agreed. I've built a couple now, and NOTHING like a simple assembly of an AR.
Lots of fitting, assembling, testing, disassembling, fitting, assembling, testing, disassembling to get it right.

I am sure pros do a lot less of the "trial and error" stuff that amateurs do... its fun though.

Mike B

PS: buy Kuhnhausen's books and read them through - TWICE before touching a file!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 01:14 PM

Skeets advice is spot-on above. As he say’s there’s a fair amount of fitting, checking and assembly/reassembly getting it right, it’s not a take-it-outta-the-box & assemble it deal.

I built a 9mm longslide kit last year, it’s a simply fantastic, accurate, super soft Shooting gun, love it ! BUT,, it took me about 1 1/2 months to get everything fitted right, things like the magazines wouldn’t fit in the mag well which took a bit to fix, and the sights and trigger were about a 6-8mo deal to get it where I wanted/needed it to be. Also delivery times are way longer typically than they originally give you, well worth the wait though in my opinion.

I’ll add that it’s not a real cheap deal either but I checked most of the option box’s on mine, could’ve really bought a top line Dan Wesson or a lower end custom like a Les Baer for about what I have in it, but it’s all mine, my work result.

I would add that if you have visions of building and selling for a profit that’s a bad plan, even though my gun is a fantastic, 100% reliable piece, it is a good looking piece just not like my Ed Brown or a Wilson Combat piece, you will take a loss, but I h e no interest in selling it although several that i’ve Let shoot it have made numerous comments about How great it shoots and asked me about selling, I just have zero interest in selling at this point.

I have a very good friend that has shot it a couple of times now and he always comments on how easy it is to shoot and be extremely accurate with it, particularly since I added a disconnect or ramp to the slide,,,, but his son-in-law who I would consider a big gun-snob has commented several times that it’s just a novelty piece because it’s a 6”kit. Even though it easily shoots as well as any of his high dollar full customs. Gun Snob explains it all imho.

So,, would I do it Again ? Absolutely ! Very satisfying and i’d like to build another quite frankly. The Serva’s are good people that will help you anyway they can. (Thanks Tyler!) ...

The really big thing that amazes me is that it just runs with zero issues which imho is due to the ”kit” forcing you to look at every aspect and adjustment as you build it.

I highly recommend it but like I said it is definitely not an unbox it and just slide it all together.

Last edited by passx; 02-10-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Below is from the Fusion website:

This "Build it yourself" will assemble to a ready-to-fire pistol (CCO Model Freedom Series), without grips.

These pre-fit kits come completely machined with all necessary holes tapped and reamed. All heat-treatments have been completed and it is ready to make for an enjoyable 1911 build for the beginner and advanced builder alike. Only small hand tools such as a hammer, pin punches and possibly files/stones are needed to complete these kits.

That sounds to me like they've really done all the fitting. Personally, I think it's a better route to buy the 1911 you want from a reputable manufacturer. At least you'd hope then it was test fired and had a factory warranty. If you want to "build" a 1911, just take it apart and put it back together.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:49 PM

Have you built one ? That’s certainly not been my experience.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:47 PM

Thank you for all the responses!
No, I have never built a 1911 but I do want to learn how to put one together.
Also, I want to do my own high polish rust blue. That’s why I want to get the complete kit in the white.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all the responses!
No, I have never built a 1911 but I do want to learn how to put one together.
Also, I want to do my own high polish rust blue. That’s why I want to get the complete kit in the white.
I think if your feel like you have the skills and patience (and some tools), you should do it. The kits make a lot of sense, so maybe that's a good choice.

I suggest searching threads about the bluing. Sounds like a fun project. As suggested above, start reading a lot. There are many very knowledgeable people here, so ask any questions you feel like make sense.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:31 PM

Yes, totally agree with building a 1911 is more in detail than an AR. We have different Kit packages for Different skill levels. Starting out our Freedom Series kits will be the easiest to build and most folks starting out on their first build go this route. They are extremely easy to build, Most of all the finishing is done. As you gain more confidence and skill level then you can move on to our Pro-Series kits. Also, we offer services, some folks have us do things like fit sights, before we ship.... We offer a extensive range of Freedom Series 1911 kits and Pro-Series Custom level kits. Feel free to call in for tech help or to get any questions answered. 941-485-2579.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Does anyone has AGI Certified 1911 Pistolsmith courses?
Is it worth $500?
I know the picture quality is not too good because it’s transferred from vhs tapes.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you can get the "Reaction" kit in the white. Fusion told me the kit was Black Oxide finished.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:25 AM

I picked up one of the Freedom Reaction build kits in 9mm it was a lot of fun to build and great to shoot
Old 08-06-2019, 06:19 AM

I just helped a buddy build a 9mm Fusion Firearms combat commander kit. This was a great experience for him, since he has not had much bench time with 1911's. the kit was very simple for a beginner and shot well. All the major fitting was done, and it was nice to see him proud of his fist build.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:55 AM

Building a 1911 from scratch will test your patience but will be rewarded accordingly.
Just built an 80% with lots of elbow grease & the slide-to-frame fit is tighter than I expect.
Measure twice, cut/file once...repeat...
Old 01-09-2020, 07:59 AM

I want to build a 38 Super from your combat Kit, can that be done? I only see 9mm and 45 acp listed on your website.