Rock .40 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-30-2019, 10:08 PM

Rock .40

I havenít seen any comments on the Rock .40 FS.
Anybody got one? Is it a good fun?
Ant feeding issues?
I ran through two Para P-16 .40s back in the day and neither was worth beans.
FWIW I have a .38 Super Rock Island that I had customized and I just picked up a Linpseyís RIA 10mm FS. Great guns
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:16 PM

I have the RIA 40 MS and its a fun gun. I also got the 10mm barrel and shoot more 10mm then 40 out of it. 10 to 1. 40s you shoot for fun. Not much else to me its good for.
Cant say anything about a full sized 1911. Ive owned over 20 1911s. None larger then a Commander size. Never have owned a full size. Got my High Powers for the need of a full size.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 PM

Thanks for your comments. I like Commanders too. Iíve hung on to a 1991 Colt Commander for 20 years or so. I have several full size 1911s as well. The 10mm I just picked up because it was too good a deal to walk away.
And nothing wrong with a gun guns! thanks again.

Stay safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 07:50 AM

Way back I had two full size standard Para Ordnance pistols, the P14-45 and P16-40. The propaganda indicated the 40’s recoil was midway between 9x19 and 45 ACP. It didn’t work out that way in practical application. Any mathematical reduction in quantifiable recoil the 40 may have had was lost in higher slide velocity and snappier recoil. So from my driver’s seat at that time I detected no real advantage except mag capacity, sold off both and purchased a P14-45 Limited which I shot for a few years. I have a 5” Foster frame 40 I built, similar configuration as your 40 Rock, dimensionally very similar. You shouldn't have any issues if the pistol is right. With lighter bullet weights its character will be less jarring than 230 ball in the same pistol but definitely not down in 9mm territory.

The Foster frame 40 history is actually a 9mm I built which I later rebarreled to 40. This barrel was bought primarily to rechamber to 10mm. But during this pistol’s building the FBI went all 9mm and 40 became yesterday’s news. Some shooters are selling blasting grade bulk 40 ammo for 9mm prices since they are dumping their 40 caliber guns. So I bought some and will shoot this for awhile until 40 S&W ammo becomes a little pricey, then rechamber and tune it to 10mm caliber. So now I can get 45 ACP shooting practice at 9mm prices without reloading.

Any of this is not meant to be a knock on 40 S&W cartridge performance. Personally, I think it is a very good round but it is over shadowed by the 45 at the upper end of its power spectrum and by the 9mm performing as well on the lower end. If nothing else, in time you could always rechamber and tune to 10mm since its market momentum is growing.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 10-02-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:15 PM

40 s&w bbl

going to purchase a 10mm RIA and want to purchase a 40 S&W bbl for it but so far unable a place to get the 40 bbl.Have buckets of 40 brass for fun shooting ,the 10 is for woods hunting.Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 10-28-2019, 03:53 PM

I have had a Rock FS in 40 SW for two years. I had the slide milled for a red dot but kept have issues with the red dot failing to shut off. They work fine on my other pistols. I think it was something with the way the GS milled the slide....
I liked the pistol enough to buy another slide and a 10 mm barrel. Went back to iron sights. Had a trigger job done on it and it is fun too shoot.
I load my own ammo and personally enjoy shooting 40 SW more than 9 mm. I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge with both calibers.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahermit View Post
going to purchase a 10mm RIA and want to purchase a 40 S&W bbl for it but so far unable a place to get the 40 bbl.Have buckets of 40 brass for fun shooting ,the 10 is for woods hunting.Can someone point me in the right direction?
https://www.hoopergunworks.com/produ..._caliber=40-sw

https://advancedtactical.com/index.p...tml?caliber=31