Mora - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-05-2019, 06:23 AM

Mora

Is the mora brand of knives worth their money?
Do you use one, if so which model or models do you like best, stainless or carbon

Lucky
Old 10-05-2019, 11:21 AM

The Mora knives are generally regarded as an excellent value.

I have never actually owned one. But lots of guys had them on the ships years ago and they performed well. They are kind of like the Scandinavian version of the French Opinel knives, also a great value in a budget priced knife.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:09 PM

I keep one strapped to my get home pack in the truck. Good sharp, cheap all around blade
COTEP #0523
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 12:29 PM

I have a couple, picked them up for $5 a piece, carbon steel.
Stay sharp and work well as a general purpose knife.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:18 PM

I still have one I bought at 16, lost it for three years, found it in the bilge, kept it close through my Marine hitch and my working career. It currently sits on my workbench looking hardly the worse for it's 50 year age.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:04 AM

I have a stainless Mora. Best $12.00 knife I ever bought. Used it to process a Caribou in august. It maintained its sharpness and kept its edge as well as the buck my son was using. in fact he tried it (he was helping) and said he thought it was too sharp.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:28 PM

Iíve got a stainless companion that Iím happy with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2019, 06:09 PM

They are really good knives, and super sharp. A great value also. The two I bought were carbon steel. Also, very lightweight.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:35 PM

Very good steel for not much money. I've got two around here, somewhere.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:50 PM

I have one of the old wood handled ones that I bought when I was about 14, no telling how much bait and fish it cut up, still keep it in the tackle box.

I bought four blades only and some deer horn tines that I mounted the blades in to make a unique set of steak knives...

All are the carbon steel. They are quite good-especially at the price point-and while diminutive by the standard of many US hunting knives they really are quite enough in most situations.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:40 AM

I have some. Mine are stainless steel. I think, but I'm not sure, that Mora uses 12C27 Sandvik stainless steel.

I have Companions, and a Bushcraft Orange. The basic difference in the Companion and Bushcraft, other than color, is that the Bushcraft has a thicker blade (1/8 inch thick) and a sharp spine. It's supposed to be somewhat more robust than the Companion. I have no experience with the wood handled Moras.

Mora knives have a Scandi grind. However, the last two I bought (less than a year ago) came from the factory with a micro bevel. I think Mora is doing that to strengthen the edge. A true Scandi grind edge can be somewhat fragile. I have removed the micro bevel from mine (it was very small) and made them a true Scandi grind. They are not full tang knives, and they won't take the abuse a full tang knife will. But they seem to fare well with cutting tasks and processing firewood. The Moras are excellent slicers and excel at whittling/wood carving. I use them to whittle hiking staffs, and am trying to improve my spoon carving. (Kinda like high school shop class...start a project, it gets screwed up, it ends up being an ashtray. Start a spoon, screw it up, it turns into a tent stake.)

I like them. They can be made ridiculously sharp, especially if you finish the edge with a leather strop. Search YouTube for Mora knife videos and videos on how to sharpen a Scandi grind if you don't already know how. It's not difficult, but it's different from a regular saber grind or full flat grind with edge bevel. Don't wait till the edge is totally dull, and the sharpness is not difficult to maintain.

I don't think that I would rely on a non-full tang knife as a "survival" knife. I would much prefer a stronger knife for that kind of use...but I'd still want a Mora available to use for other lighter duty tasks. Most models are light enough that if you have the space, you won't notice the weight. Mora makes a full tang heavier duty knife...the Garberg. It's not a $15 knife though.

Well, this is way longer than I had intended. Look up Mora knife videos on YouTube. There are many out there, and watching the knife in use will show you everything you want to know.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 AM

I have three Mora knives---a pukka, a scout and a filet.
The steel is excellent for sharpening and holding an edge.
The price is sure right, too!
Mine are wooden handled, so "rat tailed" and nothing wrong with that if you let the steel do the cutting(as you should!) Not good for prying or digging foxholes of course, but a great value none the less---and cheap enough for anyone to afford.
There's plenty to like about Moras!
Old 12-06-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
I have three Mora knives---a pukka, a scout and a filet.
The steel is excellent for sharpening and holding an edge.
The price is sure right, too!
Mine are wooden handled, so "rat tailed" and nothing wrong with that if you let the steel do the cutting(as you should!) Not good for prying or digging foxholes of course, but a great value none the less---and cheap enough for anyone to afford.
There's plenty to like about Moras!
Correction, the filet knife is a Martiinii (sp?) which I think is manufactured in Mora, but not a Mora brand.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:48 PM

Cody Lundin showing cutting technique with a Mora on a sapling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC9xrOsQj0

Like he says, if you know how to use it.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW