1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Y View Post
One thing I have noticed on new gun owners is that they are all about what experts say and have no experience of their own. Kind of like a guy who watches fishing shows but never put a line in the water. But he talks a big deal.

All I see is gotta do a trigger job. Gotta get a match grade barrel. Gotta make this tighter. Gotta get one of these for it. Gotta polish the feed ramp. Gotta gotta gotta...

Does anyone actually shoot the gun. Metal parts need to break in and mesh with each other to see what they really need. If you change things to what you think you need or you think it needs now guess what after a couple hundred rounds it changes.

Reading all these what the pros say will only make your weapon fit for them.

I say break it in first, fix anything that makes it unuseable, get the feel of it. Change only what needs to be changed for you. Your hand is too big get a longer trigger. A spring is out of spec, change it. Let a new gun become what it was meant to be first. Give it some seasoning. You don't take a new car and gun the hell out of it right off the show room floor. The parts have mesh first. No two guns or cars are the same, like people each one is different in its own way.

Browning designed it for an Army horse soldier, yes there have been some refinements , but that soldier 100 years ago can take your gun down today and put it back together. The design was ment to be kept clean, it was meant to be well lubed, it was designed for ball ammo. If anyone wants to find out what the weapon requirements are just look up the United States Army model M1911A1 technical manual. Then go from there before getting too carried away and complaining about this and that. Break it in, let it tell you this is what I am, then start molding it one thing at a time to what feels best for you. It is not a Glock now will it ever be. It is heavy, it is reliable, it was designed for 7 shots not 17, it is a single action. It has a complex safety system with interlocking, it is a military intended weapon, not for kids who want a video game gun..

You don't get three lives in this world you get one, this gun was not designed for a game but for hard reality it was made to protect your life and it has done it damn well for a hundred and four years.
Sheer poetry.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 PM

Concur. Great post.

After gifting my first R1 several years ago, I bought a Huntsville 5” standard model when Remington ran their $100 cash rebate promotion. Wound up paying $399 after rebate plus FFL fee. Outstanding value buy for a basic 1911. The fit & finish are as nice as the SA & Colt 1911s I used to own. It will stay in factory configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
BC61E43C-CA44-440E-A764-D9A6AE8097A3.jpeg  

Last edited by ScoPro; 05-23-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:18 PM

Got the same exact one.I liked it.But still like ria more.So im probalbly going to keep in good shape and gift it to my brother for christmas.May sneak a couple mags in here and there till then.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:50 PM

Your brother will be grateful.
I gifted a new Remington R1 Commander to my brother last year. He was overwhelmed.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:11 PM

My R1S is the most accurate pistol I own.
Attached Thumbnails
remtar.jpg  
Old 05-27-2019, 02:59 PM

After browsing thru all this I'd say it was 98% user error on the OP's part.

My R1 was flawless out of the box since day with the exception of hollow points nose diving when dropping the slide. After a good breakin of around 200-300 rounds that cured itself. Bulged barrel?

Sounds like we had a squib and a whoops with those reloads...
Old 05-29-2019, 01:43 PM

I ordered a R1S a few days ago and it should be in next week sometime. My plan is to run 100 or 150 rounds of factory hardball through it for a break-in period. Then start working up some hand loads for it. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
Where are you hitting?
When I first got my R1 the trigger felt gritty and I put a fair number of rounds
low left. After hosing the innards out with brake cleaner (non-chlorinated) and
CLP it cleaned up right nice. Now I am breaking blue with ever round.
The R1 is accurate.
Fix the shooter?
This is exactly how my new R1S felt yesterday on its first day at the range. I hope that thoroughly cleaning mine will improve the gritty feel just as yours did.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:02 PM

My Remington shot low. Good groups but low when compared to all of my other 1911's. Explained this to Remington and they sent me a shorter front sight. Dead on now.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:50 PM

I have had EXCELLENT experiences with Remington CS

I bought a Remington 1911 R1 a month or so ago taking advantage of some gift cards I had combined with a sale at Bass Pro plus the rebate. It was my seventh 1911. I brought it home and was majorly impressed with the smoothness of the slide and the crispness of the trigger. However, the gun was grouping 4" low at 15 yards. I shot a couple of my other 1911's to make sure it wasn't me and sure enough, it still printed low.

I called Remington and told them what was going on. Without hesitation the offered to send me a front sight that was a tiny bit shorter than the stock sight. I got it, installed it and voila, dead on now. No jams and danged accurate!

Not to call out the OP on this, but communication is a two-way street. If someone actually said that some 1911's needed help getting the slide to go forward into battery, that person needs to be re-educated or fired! Is it possible a moron (or someone totally ignorant in the world of pistols) is working as a CS rep for Remington? Yes, it's possible, but I rather believe there was a "failure to communicate" somewhere in this process.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Concur. Great post.

After gifting my first R1 several years ago, I bought a Huntsville 5 standard model when Remington ran their $100 cash rebate promotion. Wound up paying $399 after rebate plus FFL fee. Outstanding value buy for a basic 1911. The fit & finish are as nice as the SA & Colt 1911s I used to own. It will stay in factory configuration.
That's a nice looking pistol.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by the45er View Post
My Remington shot low. Good groups but low when compared to all of my other 1911's. Explained this to Remington and they sent me a shorter front sight. Dead on now.
I had the same issue and Remington corrected the problem at no cost. Very happy with the R1 and it feeds all the ammo I have fired through it, mostly reloads. Very accurate and fun to shoot.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:18 PM

All I can say is after the initial 200-300 round break in my brand new R1 has been flawless.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the45er View Post
Is it possible a moron (or someone totally ignorant in the world of pistols) is working as a CS rep for Remington? Yes, it's possible, but I rather believe there was a "failure to communicate" somewhere in this process.
Not only possible, but a fact. I've related my story here before, so I wont repeat it, but I had to endure 5 minutes of what amounted to verbal abuse from a condescending Remington CS agent after communicating very well what the issue was, and what had been done to verify it was indeed shooting low. The magic words "let me speak with your supervisor" got him to finally cooperate. Got the lower front sight, and POA was suddenly POI. This is why I wont spend another penny on a Remington product. To those of you who had your issue resolved quickly and courteously, I envy you. My experience was bad.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:30 PM

I have had a terrible time with Remington r1. I would not suggest anyone to buy anything Remington after this